How does one into System Administrator?

How does one into System Administrator?

To start I have a CS Degree and Math Minor. I'm an average tier coder with more of an interest in hardware, putting it all together, and generally just making things werk.

I feel like if you're good at being a system admin, and everything functions as it should. You'd just be sitting around most of the time, which is what I like.

But I don't think I've ever seen a beginner System Admin position. How do I do this m8's?

You could probably start by getting some certs. Or you could just apply and see what happens, you're probably skilled enough to just get the hang of it.

Do you know which certs would be the most valuable?

Get an engineer position. Seeing as you can program, devops would be better.

You should get the A+ cert.

Modern systems administration is less "administer the systems" and more of a business-optimization position. You should be spending your time figuring out how to make the company run better, how to make it more competitive.

I spend a lot of my day monitoring newsgroups for vulnerabilities and making sure vendors are aware of anything, and assessing any negative consequences of patching. Making sure all machines are current with their AV, patches, and configuration settings. These things change multiple times a day.

The project-focused stuff involves talking with users. You're not going to be able to shut yourself in a closet all day. Figure out what causes them headaches, write scripts for them to speed up and standardize their work. Employees love you if you save them 5 minutes per hour of work by automating something they do a lot, and employers love it even more because that's an extra 40 minutes of labor per user per day they're getting at no additional cost.

Also, figure out how to get technology out of their god damned way. Users aren't stupid, they just think differently. It's your job to understand how they think and make their job easier and more efficient. Nobody gives a shit that you're saving 5% of system resources by modifying config files on the server. They do care that you implemented SSO and now they only need to log in once.

You really have to work your way up. Tech support > Help Desk > Desktop Engineer > Systems Administrator > Systems Engineer was my path.

haskell

Where does software engineer fit into all of this?

advice on first help desk job ? i posted yesterday, its not a "forsure" job yet but i want to know what to expect

As a system administrator, I agree with this.

recommend any certs ?

Not with a suit on, I can tell you.

> You'd just be sitting around most of the time, which is what I like
This is a dead end job. Sure, it's possible, but most sysadmins get bored and leave.

This is why you become a hacker on the side.

it doesnt. software engineer is just another word for software developer in my experience.

I'd love a job where I stare at monitoring systems all day.

nope. learn python or ruby or node so you can use system management and deployment tools like chef and puppet. dont worry about knowing GUI programming, instead learn how to read system instrumentation, working with the file system, services, etc. know how networks work like really work, dont worry about being able to work out a complex subnetmask in your head, we have tools for that shit, just know wtf is happening when packets are sent and received. on windows learn powershell. on linux learn bash. know how to do basic editing, search and replace and the like in vim. it will save your life at some point and you will look like a ninja. it isnt hard.

Linux sysadmin here,

Just apply. Everyday multiple places a day.

I did 25+ a day and got a job with no formal education, certs, or training.
It's out there just let your skills speak for you on your resume.

15 terminals all running ping -c 4000.

Why is this faggot wearing a suit

was the guy in mr robot a sys admin