Proof that you're a true Sup Forumsentooman and have installed gentoo

Proof that you're a true Sup Forumsentooman and have installed gentoo.

Other urls found in this thread:

cvedetails.com/vendor/7632/Selinux.html
linuxjournal.com/content/nsa-linux-journal-extremist-forum-and-its-readers-get-flagged-extra-surveillance
theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll bite

>hardened kernel
just use selinux

muh nsa

You first.

I like the grsec features

be honest.
do you expect anyone to break into your system.
because hardware access is the most they'd need and i really doubt you have any form of security

Better safe than sorry. You have no idea what you're talking about.
>because hardware access is the most they'd need and i really doubt you have any form of security

>Encrypted SSD
>Hardened GCC
>Grsec features

eat shit retard

Tried the live cd.
Didn't like it.

does livecd count?

again
if any three letter agencies REALLY cared, you'd be fucked.
i sincerely doubt you are worth any trouble nor have anything worth hiding other than possible a database of anime loli images.

>Encrypted SSD
only slows them down. i bet you use a passphrase like a total retard or a mere 512M RSA hash

admit it m8, you just want to be a special snowflake so you can show it off to your fuccboi friends

>512M RSA hash
literally what

Again you have no idea what the hell you're talking about. I don't give a shit about the government you pretentious little shit. I care if somebody steals my computer. Is it really that hard to comprehend? You should probably consider euthanasia.

and what do you have that's important where some random person would take your pc and steal your information.

the most you'd use in that case is an encrypted home directory. no asshat on the street would care about cracking that and just wipe your pc.

get off your high horse because you're literally a tinfoil hat nutjob

Layered security is the best security you fucking idiot

Gentoo Linux is proven to be a botnet.

Not unless you use Systemd and all of the other botnet software

Systemd is the least of your worries. Just abandon ship.

t. industry insider

>grsec
You mean unstable patches from a group of people that got assmad about someone posting a bug about their software?

>and what do you have that's important where some random person would take your pc and steal your information.
If tyron can't turn on the pc he can't sell it.
If he can't format it he can't sell it
If the bios is locked down he can't sell it
We live in a world where security is mandatory, not to protect us from governments but from subhuman trashes that live almost everywhere on this planet.

you mean my love?

There's a ton of things that I don't like about grsec but some of their patches are alright and others break Python.

Greetings fellow hermits

r8

nice vm senpai

Hello everyone.

vm/10

>ARCH

>dat uptime

Whatever. Old screenshot since I'm on my phone

not knowing what a gentoo install looks like

>Implying we don't know what a gentoo install looks like yet we went through the guide like everyone else.

Stay mad.

>being this mad

>packages 0
>Caring this much

Lol okay

>screenfetch -D gentoo
what even

>debian
wow

cvedetails.com/vendor/7632/Selinux.html

two fucking vulnerabilities since probably forever (selinux was around since kernel 2.4.x). it was obviously reviewed by most paranoid of paranoid people throughout the years.

>NSA writes secure MAC for Linux
>foiler autists around the world review it for free
bretty gud

Why would I install gentoo? It's shit.

A lot more flexible and faster than any shit distro you might have kid.

>Faster
It takes hours to even install X server.

It takes hours to even install LIbre office.

lolno
Took me 5 minutes to install Libre Office and 15 to install an X Server

Stop making excuses just cause you're scared or too incompetent to follow a guide.

>15 to install an X Server
JUST

P-please don't tell me screenfetch is actually parsing the output of motherfucking LS?!

I installed exherbo, does it count?

5' 3" 356 lbs.
Sweaty
Breathe heavy in the presence of tendies and hotpockets.
Kissed my mom goodnight, got a boner.Reached for tit. DENIED!

Please, leave Exherbo out of this. We don't need the attention of hipster teens, thanks.

Nigga you have a teen girl maintainer.

It's just another Gentoo fork. It's not actually vanilla Gentoo.

But it's not a Gentoo fork, it doesn't share anything with Gentoo.

I don't know why people complain about compile times. Seems like just an excuse to me. The devs offer you some precompiled binaries and you can prepare binaries yourself as well. It's not like you have to sit there during the compilation like with Ports for BSD. Just compile in the background if your compile time is that bad. Are you trying to install Gentoo on a toaster or something? I never had more than a 30 minute compilation and that was a lot of software.

Exherbo aims to be a stable and flexible distribution for developers and tinkerers, people who need their distribution to help them be productive. Exherbo actually makes it fun for developers to develop, be it on their own code or the distribution itself. A good set of tools, clear, up-front configuration and excellent support for decentralized development make the system work for instead of against the developer. Other features that Exherbo values include:

A small core development team
A small team is one that can adapt quickly to changes and keep focus on the philosophy of Exherbo. The downside to this is that a team of ~20 cannot maintain 2000+ packages. Exherbo solves this issue by offering robust distributed repository management, opting for many small repositories that integrate seamlessly with everyday management.

Flexibility where it makes sense
Paludis can work with both source-based and binary packages on equal terms, even if there is no defined exheres-based packages for them! Finally you can get the speed of a binary distribution with the control of a source-based one.

Simple, safe account management
Safe and tracked account management, with users and groups managed by the system so you don’t have to worry about them.

Tracking unwritten packages
With the unwritten repository, packages that haven’t been made can be tracked by the distribution itself, speeding up workflow.

Alternatives
If program Y does everything X does, but better, Exherbo can use Y instead of X in all cases.

It may not be literally a Gentoo fork but it was inspired by Gentoo. Is there any reason you use Exherbo instead of Gentoo? I see a lot of people use Funtoo as well but they don't really seem to offer much that Gentoo doesn't already have.

- Truly distributed repositories and development.
- The exheres API is saner than EAPI and it's easier to write packages for it.
- Paludis is just better than Portage in every way, I was using it on Gentoo back then too.
- Multiarch is awesome compared to multilib.
- The IRC channel is full blown autism and elitism, I like that.
- There's a little girl working on the musl stages and general support with patches and whatnot for packages.

And other things that aren't coming to mind right now.

No everyone has a nice CPU fucc boi

You're the worst kind of trash lol

I heard Funtoo is better than Gentoo.
Meme or true story? How's the relationship of Gentoo and Funtoo?

It offers some 'Portage enhancements.' I'm not really sure what that entails. Funtoo is basically just a Gentoo fork. It's not vanilla Gentoo and so some of the packages might be older than what's available in Gentoo's source tree.

Care to share your xcolors? Love the wine red.

Gentoo has Paludis. I've never used it though so I'm not sure how the support it. I've never really had an issue with Gentoo that I couldn't quickly resolve so I don't know. I don't really care about who the devs are just as long as they do a good job.

These threads will always be the same
>Japshit wallpaper
>At least 3 terminals open with completely useless information to look 'cool'
Faaaaaaaaaaaggots

So you don't encrypt or use hardened? If someone steals your computer they can just chroot into it

Improved portage mostly but it lags behind the main tree a day or so because of differently patched packages, look up "funtoo vs gentoo" because for some reason it never says it on the funtoo site

oh god the compile times

GENTOO UGLY LOGO LOL

i see nothing wrong with that, honestly. after all, we get to use it for free.

How do you set up an initramfs-less boot and why? I heard about a couple of gentoofags doing it, but never really understood the reasons behind it.

ive never had an initramfs on gentoo... not sure how to even go about doing it

there you go

And how did you set up the whole boot up procedure? What bootloader do you use?

I lol'd

If you have say dm-crypt for example then you can get kernel panic after configuring Grub. That's all it really is. Load init and fs data to memory. If you just use the default configuration for your bootloader without any parameters for lvm, crypt ect. then you shouldn't need an initramfs. You can generate one with genkernel or just make one yourself.

I picked up a server with two quad core Opterons and 24GB RAM to install Gentoo a few years ago. Never installed anything other than FreeBSD though.

Here is my gentoo

on cynogen mod doe

>if any three letter agencies REALLY cared, you'd be fucked.
>i sincerely doubt you are worth any trouble nor have anything worth hiding other than possible a database of anime loli images.

Looks like someone hasn't been paying attention

>While it has been revealed before that the NSA captures just about all Internet traffic for a short time, the Tagesschau story provides new details about how the NSA's XKEYSCORE program decides which traffic to keep indefinitely. XKEYSCORE uses specific selectors to flag traffic, and the article reveals that Web searches for Tor and Tails--software I've covered here in Linux Journal that helps to protect a user's anonymity and privacy on the Internet--are among the selectors that will flag you as "extremist" and targeted for further surveillance. If you just consider how many Linux Journal readers have read our Tor and Tails coverage in the magazine, that alone would flag quite a few innocent people as extremist.

linuxjournal.com/content/nsa-linux-journal-extremist-forum-and-its-readers-get-flagged-extra-surveillance

theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data

why you runnin it in a VM

hello friend, please make a clone of your harddrive and send to me so i can have a working linux enviroment like yours.

cross building packages for Rp2

What issues are you having user?

i can never have a nice environment like yours

Thank you

Funtoo is a project of the founding Gentoo dev, who was kicked out of the Gentoo because of dictating every development choice.

Proof enough? :^)

No

Get the fuck out

Someone explain to me why running startx doesn't work on gentoo after installing xorg-server, yet on Arch after installing and running startx, everything worked perfectly.

I have, I just don't run it because it is garbage for productivity

Did you cross compile everything on that?

But why? I primarily use Gentoo Hardened

The machine still exists as .img somewhere

>>Encrypted SSD
>only slows them down.
it's called hardware encryption
and even software encryption is quite fast nowadays

I think he meant it only slows them down because they have to crack the encryption. I get the same performance with Dm-Crypt + LVM as I did without encryption. I just use a bit mor RAM. He was just an idiot.

X-treme memer here.
Been doing this for years. I've probably rused more people into using Gentoo than Gentoo has.
Keep the traditions alive good Sir.

>Been doing this for years.
Doing what? I do actually use Gentoo, I'm just booted into Ubuntu so I can run Steam and take a break from programming

(Currently via Hexcells Infinite)