Nokia dindu nuffin

Nokia dindu nuffin

Other urls found in this thread:

communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2016/05/the-nokia-saga-predictions-on-this-blog-full-listing-with-links.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Lumia_640
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N9#Reception
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"lol"

They should have used Android

same thing happened to hitler tbhfam

"If I only had know that the Russians ... I mean Chinese could build so many smartphones in such a short time!"

it's true, they did nothing to adapt to the new market.

>make a deal with microsoft
>didnt do anything wrong
yeah, right

Is this gonna be a daily thread now?

exactly this: first step was to get a majority of American shareholders on their board, second step to get Stephen Elop, ex-head of MS Office division, third step was the deal with MS. After that MS's ill-placed hopes failed but they reached their secondary goal of destroying the last European smartphone maker.

In my opinion Nokia was deliberately taken over by American investors so that there would be no major European smartphone manufacturer left. I blame the Finns for letting that happen, seeing how they willingly gave up control of Nokia like that.

For the full story I recommend reading the articles by Tomi Ahonen, a Finnish mobile market analyst. Even before the infamous Burning Platform memo he criticised Elop's decisions at Nokia and pointed out their strenghts and weaknesses. After the Memo he correctly predicted that Nokia's market share would drop because of the combined Osbourne & Ratner effect, even when other analyst firms were predicting 20%+ market share for WinPhone in a few years.

His blog posts are more like small books, but absolutely worth the read for anyone wanting to know how Nokia fucked up this badly - hint: "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times, it's enemy action."

I think this blog post is a review of "6 years of Elop-bashing on this blog" and provides the best overview of what he wrote and analysed:
communities-dominate.blogs.com/brands/2016/05/the-nokia-saga-predictions-on-this-blog-full-listing-with-links.html

I'm a dozen paragraphs in.. and holy shit that writer is autistic
>You're welcome.

";_;"

dey wuz gud boiz.

Didn't Nokia own QT?

Nokia didn't dundu nuffin!

his writing style and entitlement is annoying, but the facts that he argues with still stand, and that's what I like about him.
He proves, for example, that when Apple released the iPhone 4 in 2010, Nokia's smartphone business was growing faster than Apple's - which is proven by publicly available numbers from those companies. Yet the general opinion is that Nokia was finished when the first iPhone was released, which he proves is just wrong.
(all of this also proves how destructive the move to WinPhone was, which cost Nokia almost all of their leading marketshare of around 30%. I find it important to spell it out: Windows Phone was so terrible for Nokia that they gave up 30% of the smartphone market with it.)

Nokia bought QT from Trolltech in order to transition their customers from Symbian S60 to Meego. The idea was that developers could write applications in QT that would run on S60 and Meego and thus make it easy for the many millions of Nokia customers to switch OSs.

Keep in mind that the Ovi store (with apps for S40, S60 and Meego) was quite successful even though nobody noticed it. Pic related.

Of course that was the case almost no one in poorfag countries could afford an iphone and there were plenty of cheap shit nokia "smartphones" available. The situation is the same now just the difference is that android has taken the spot for the same reasons.

In other news, iPhone destroys everything.

/thread

Butthurt Finn? Or equally feminine EU scum?

Yep, the thing they did wrong was to trust M$.

Well, there's still BQ..

is this story even true? seems fake

Nokia was a mistake

The only way to save the company
the government should to steal nokia back from microsoft
and create a cheap nexus phone

Don't worry binland, at least now you can base your economy around Angry Birds, that franchise will never go away!

>Buy Nokia Lumia 640 LTE
>fucking line of pixels jittering up and down
>return and replace it
>windows 8 mobile's internet browser crashes all the time
>phonebook menu calls people you don't want to call
wow, Nokia didn't do ANYTHING wrong

>"The Microsoft Lumia 640 and Microsoft Lumia 640 XL are Windows Phone smartphones developed by Microsoft Mobile."
it wasn't Nokia at that time anymore. It's telling that those are software problems though, because Nokia's strength was always hardware.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Lumia_640

F

>We didn't do anything wrong

Sure as fuck didn't do anything right, either. Doing "stuff" doesn't guarantee success.

They didn't fail because what they did, the failed because of what they didn't do (build phones that people actually want).

this, doing nothing is doing it wrong, fucker. Also, isn't that ballmer?

Maybe they should have done something instead then.

>"The reception for the device has been very positive"
>"Still, many reviewers did not recommend to buy the N9 only because of Nokia's earlier decision to drop MeeGo for Windows Phone for future smartphones – often questioning this decision at the same time."
>"According to some unofficial estimates, it might have sold better than combined together released Lumia devices in the last quarter of 2011, raising further doubts about Nokia's strategy to drop MeeGo in favour of Windows Phone."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N9#Reception

you're spreading a myth. Before Elop decided to drop Nokia-owned Meego in favour of his former (and future) employers' total failure of an OS Nokia had bigger growth than Apple and more than twice as much marketshare.

Nokia failed because Elop led them into MS' trap, as anybody with half a brain was predicting even at that time.

Yuropean "men" everyone

Nokia was THE mobile phone manufacturer during the late 1990s and the early 2000s. If you bought a phone back then it was a Nokia. Then they got lazy and rested on their laurels because they thought nobody could get to them but Apple et al. quickly overtook them and left them in the dust.

Just because they made a smartphone after the market has been saturated to shit and the phone got "positive" reviews doesn't mean anything, really. What's good about that? There's a dozen chink manufacturers churning out dozens of phones every year.

Sure, Microsoft is to blame as well since they pretty much ruin everything they touch in the first place, but Nokia was pretty much dead when Microsoft bought them and that's because they ignored the shifting market.

see, that's what I'm not arguing against: Nokia was out of touch with what many people wanted when the iPhone/Android revolution happened in the mobile market. I fully agree with that.

But the numbers don't lie: until they decided to use Windows Phone they were leaders in the smartphone market, because a huge number of people were buying their phones out of habit.
What happened was that the CEO, Stephen Elop, announced that a) Symbian is shit and b) they would make WinPhones in the future. And then it took them 9 months before the first phones were available, Ask yourself, would you have bought a Nokia phone in those 9 months? Neither did approximately a third of their customers. And after they had switched to WinPhone they lost marketshare at an astonishing pace.

So my point is this: if Nokia now say they didn't do anything wrong, they are lying: their greatest mistake by far was the switch to WinPhone.

S60 Nokia's were smartphones senpai, substantially more featured than Android and iOS handsets at the time

Nokia actually covered the whole market senpai
Nokia is the biggest telecom manufacturer, specially after the Alcatel-Lucent acquisition
Nokia was THE phone manufacturer until the WinPhone stunt