/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

bijo-linux.com/
mega.nz/#!rpYzFBAT!CMmWEqdIGbA2wqXV8njTjXwjAicsonwfTwGvvMguy9g
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1213693#p1213693
pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-cleaning.html
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0 nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0-live nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw
wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/
debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en
sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1421580
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want an open source Instagram photo downloader (program), preferably CLI, for my GNU/Linux. How can I obtain one? No success in APT SEARCH.

someone posts the "mount" one

the "mount" one

Check github. I'm 100% sure some people already made something like this.

ebin
simply ebin

bijo-linux.com/

but why? For what purpose?

>man ls
>AUTHOR
> Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie.

"purpose" is thinking in logic. The universe gives a shit about logic; it just likes stuff that it likes with a hole added for big banging.

It's more about rationality than just plain logic.

>grill holding a sing "killall"
Why do I always fall for borderline girls?

What was the wget script to download all the girls?

#itsjustlinux on suicide watch

Github has no programs, only source-codes...

How many of these are there?
I got about 100 of them with wget but it was taking so long that I canceled it.
Here's a mega: mega.nz/#!rpYzFBAT!CMmWEqdIGbA2wqXV8njTjXwjAicsonwfTwGvvMguy9g

I tried it myself and I ended up just saving my favorite ones. I guess wget isn't the right thing here. Maybe curl and sed to parse the actual links for every page may do the job but I'm lazy.

Quick tutorial:

- Install git.
- run: git clone
- cd into directory
- if theres a config file: ./configure
- if not, just: make; sudo make install
- bonus points for debian based distros: install checkinstall (creates packages), then: make; sudo make checkinstall

tl;dr:
git clone
cd
make; sudo make install
????
PROFIT

But I if it's just a shell or python or ruby or whatever script, just download it and chmod +x it. That's all.

Hope it helped someone.

Ok, it's actually not THAT easy. This way only works if the sauce ships a makefile.
For CMake and others there are different routines.
Some programs also ship autoconf scripts etc.
Rule over the thumb: Read the INSTALL file, it will tell you about the WHAT DO.
less INSTALL

... and if the program doesn't ship any INSTALL, README, or requirements informations, tell the devel that he's a huge faggot. If he doesn't ship a LICENSE file, tell him to shoot himself while jumping of a high building.

should I use sxhkd or xbindkeys?

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1213693#p1213693

> It isn't KISS (Guile, -k, -mk, ...).
granted
> The commands of the configuration file have to be surrounded by double quotes and don't support environment variables.
environment variables are supported (works on my machine)
> There are two mechanisms for reloading the configuration file: none of them works.
killall -HUP xbindkeys just works (on my machine)
> Implicit modifier names ('alt', 'super', ...) are not supported.
Alt is supported aswell as Mod4 (Super) on my machine(TM)

sxhkd is KISS; only hotkeys, nothing more, nothing less
xbindkeys has additional features for mouseclicks and SCHEME (Guile) style bindings and macros

Choose your poison.

Okay lads, I have yet to find a good tutorial on how to create a bootable debian usb. I have a thinkpad t510 with 4gb of ram, and I read that installing debian would be a better option than installing ubuntu or mint. Would any you be kind enough to show me a tutorial on how to create a bootable debian usb through windows? Any installation tips would be greatly appreciated too. Thanks in advance.

Also, is this a reliable way of installing it?
pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Basically just d if=debian-live.iso of=usb-stick

You're currently on Windows?

dd*

Yes I am currently in windows. Is there a way to install debian without an internet connection? It would be a better way to install it on my thinkpad.

dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-cleaning.html

>without an internet connection
why? missing free drivers? missing ethernet?
if you have any normal computer go with cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.5.0/amd64/iso-cd/debian-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
if you have a computer that needs nonfree wifi drivers go with cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0 nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-8.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso
if you are sure you won't get an internet connection for some reason but don't need nonfree drivers go with any of those: cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/
if you somehow don't have a connection and need nonfree drivers go with any of those: cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0-live nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/

i suggest Gnome3 or xfce for starters, xfce was my first DE in the GNU/Linux world.

to add to this, win32diskimager is the best way to make a debian live medium on windows from what i remember, so go with that, it is fairly straightforward.

>sudo make checkinstall
sudo checkinstall

So I've been using Ubuntu for a year and I think I'm save enough for Debian. Some questions:

What to use? Testing? Unstable? I've been using LTS version of Ubuntu and I'm pretty sick of outdated packages (newfriends, please don't fall for the LTS meme).

Also, how to install testing or unstable? I can only find stable images.

Ayy, sorry, you're right.

Reminder we have two threads on /t/ - Torrents

One about ported videogames
And one on tutorial videos for system administration and IT
Also check the list of open source games
ghostbin.com/paste/z74bj/raw

Fucking around with gimp.

>What to use?
if you don't want stable and got a bit of experience, i would suggest unstable but it is up to you.
>Also, how to install testing or unstable?
you install stable minimally (no DE or other stuff you do not need), change your /etc/apt/sources.list to testing, upgrade, reboot, then if you need unstable/sid you do the same again but with sid instead of testing.
i highly recommen (please do it, otherwise you will have a bad time) to read the corresponding wiki pages for the releases carefully and read the don'tbreakdebian article.
here are a few links:
wiki.debian.org/DebianUnstable
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
also make sure to either only use aptitude or only apt-get, mixing them will cause problems, i personally prefer aptitude.

Thank you very much, kind brosep.

Thanks familia, I really do appreciate the help. So do I just extract it to the usb? Then, when I boot it on the thinkpad, will it give me the option to choose between gnome3 or xfce? I know, I know, retarded questions. I am pretty new in the linux world. (I want it mainly to learn C and to learn bash/terminal).

what's wrong with ubungu?

after being on and off loonix for a decade, ended up with ubuntu on laptop, and fedora on desktop.

i guess i'm pretty static with what i use, so i'm fine with older packages. snaps flatpaks and all that will probably fix that in the coming year/s.

>So do I just extract it to the usb?
more or less, you write it to the usb, the tool you should use to do so is win32diskimager (i think that is what is recommended in the installation manual: debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ > debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en )
sorry for the sourceforge link: sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
on the netinstall isos (the ones that are small) it will show you a screen where you can choose them, for the live ones you need to choose the right iso.
i wish you fun and the least amount of frustration possible.

* I don't like Canonicals philosopy (friendship with Micro & Soft, shipping spyware, etc)
* I already found my favorite programs and don't want to use a DE anymore
* My goal is a system with only free software. I'm just a noob and not secure enough for libreboot and anything, but I want to get to my goal as close at possible

tl;dr Ubuntu made me learn alot, but it simply doesn't fit my needs anymore

well fair enough.

The same happened to me, I learned a lot and now I jump to a non DE machine.

Will try Devuan for a few days because I support their init independence but I plan on using a source based distro to troubleshoot my for a libre option.

to the spyware thing, first off, I don't want to defend Canonical, but actually, the requests go to ubuntu servers, then to amazon, back to ubuntu servers and back to the user
basically, it's the same spying mechanism as when you apt-get update, since it's contacting the same servers
markshuttleworth.com/archives/1182

I add to your comment the fact fact that Canonical got rekt by Micro on purpose. Days before the launch of Ubuntu 16.04, Micro announced the partnership with Canonical.

It was an obvious marketing stunt to hamper Ubuntu.

I'm just waiting for the day when M$ buys Canoncial.

Can I keep multiple [Units] in a single .service file in systemd? I have a number of scripts that I would like to keep in one place and start all at once for portability.

>if you want a bit of compression, consider making the backup drive btrfs with zlib compression enabled
Meaning all files are automatically compressed due to btrfs features? That sounds pretty neat. I might try it, but I'd have to clear a hard drive for space. I'm practically full.

>it's the same spying mechanism as when you apt-get update
Wait, what?

>compression
Reminds me of something.
What's the best compression method for archives?
I'm currently using this script:
mktxz ()
{
XZ_OPT=-9 tar cvJf "${1%%/}.txz" "$1"
}

did I do good or is there a way to level up?

give lrzip a shot

Hey guys, I want to share something about how to remote control mpv without socat or anything else. Why? Because I use mpv as music player. That's all.

How it works: mpv supports FIFO!

- create a named pipe:
mkfifo /path/mpv-fifo
- start mpv with:
mpv --input-file="/path/mpv-fifo"
- Then you can send all commands you'd normally use in your input.conf to the pipe like this:
printf '%s\n' "cycle pause" > /path/mpv-fifo

Pretty comfy for creating scripts/functions whatever. Only downside: You don't get returns.

Hope someone finds this useful.

Will do, ty.

you could just install debian without systemd. just make sure to take part in the popularity contest so they see your choice.

Can someone explain what's bad about systemd? Not trolling or baiting.

here we go again

What have you bought on Steam Sales flt?

Dude, I'm serious. I know the Unix philosophy argument, but except that, I don't know about any flaws.

it does a lot of things, some would argue too many things

done

the "muh UNIX philosopy" argument is invalid anyway, GNU's not UNIX, if people want UNIX, show them the door to macOS

yes, btrfs supports transparent lzo or zlib compression, meaning the data appears as normal, but is stored on the disk in compressed form
it will skip compressing incompressible data, so you don't need to worry about wasting resources
if you don't know which to pick;
lzo: really fast, but weaker compression, use it on actively used disks, fast disks (like ssds), or slow cpus
zlib: what gzip uses, not as fast, but better compression, for less active disks, slower disks (like flash drives), or faster cpus
using lzo on a modern cpu with consumer hdds is practically free, the hdd won't read/write fast enough to really tax the cpu when doing compression/decompression

if you're curious how fast lzo is, try compression a file you have, for example;
% lzop < *.mkv | pv > /dev/null
339MiB 0:00:01 [ 186MiB/s] [ ]

Im gonna build a gaming pc and dont wanna pay 100 dollars on win so im gonna install mint, my question is if i should expect or now about any problems that i will have with gaming on linux? Thanks

>not sure if bait or statement
saved :^)

Type your post with proper punctuation and I might answer you seriously.

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
Youre welcome.

(/r/ing pasta?!)

What issues will i run into when using mint/linux for gaming?

>i get all my knowledge from meme g posts

If you don't know, at least stop spreading cringe-worthy misinformation.

Close enough, but I'll help anyways.
First off, I'd recommend a Debian based distro, mainly any of the buntus since Steam OS is based on those. If you want it to look like mint, then all you have to do is download cinnamon through the software repositories and be done with it.
Now for the facts:
1) You won't be able to run all of your games. I don't play that much, but out of the 44 steam games, about 12 of them are playable natively on Linux.
2) There are ways to run Windows games on Linux through Wine, but it's not perfect.
3) AMD drivers are pretty shit on Linux. They're definitely trying with AMDGPU and AMDGPU Pro, but it's not there yet. Nvidia proprietary drivers are the way to go.
3a) Despite the last claim, the Nvidia drivers will probably give you some problems.
I think that's about it. I'd say to get familiar with the command line, it will help you on the long-run.

>muh binary logs

Hello /fglt/! I recently installed ubuntu 16.04, and it is great! One small problem, my cpu is emitting a high pitched whine when it seems to idle, which it does not emit on my W10 install. Furthermore, the whine goes away when I move my mouse.

Do any of you experience this whine? Is this just something I will have to deal with? Would installing another distro help?

What's your cpu usage?
Check by typing htop into your terminal and hitting enter

>of the buntus since Steam OS is based on those
actually it is based on debian

>whine
could be that your refresh rate is not limited, try limiting it system wide to your monitors refresh rate.

I get the same whine in Windows when I'm playing some game and the FPS far exceeds my monitor's refresh rate (Vsync not enabled), so it could be that in Ubuntu your GPU's (integrated or dedicated, dunno) refresh rate isn't limited by your monitor's, like said.

Go to your terminal and type sudo apt-get install screenfetch , say yes if they ask you you're sure. Then when done type screenfetch and post what it says under GPU

>>Go to your terminal and type sudo apt-get install screenfetch , say yes if they ask you you're sure. Then when done type screenfetch and post what it says under GPU
next time tell him about inxi -F, it gives more info and isn't ricershit.

Manjaro or Antergos on a laptop? Want to give something other than Xubuntu a shot.

I didn't know about inxi -F, so at least thank you for teaching me via proxy, friend

With using Linux Mint, you will get a broken system that looks nice for the eye. Mint's philosophy is about "stability", means: your system will be stable, but not secure, not updated and may break if you enable the blacklisted updates manually.

>for gaming
There's NO DISTRO THAT IS BETTER FOR GAMING
Literally. Really. Actually.
All distros work the same way, the only difference is the packaging system and the base install.

All distros will give you the EXACT SAME results in using native linux games or WINE emulation.

Don't use Mint. It's a nice idea for showing off Cinnamon, but nothing more. I'd even suggest installing Cuckonical's Ubuntu instead.

Whine went away went I booted up gnome screenshot, and now"gvfsd-smb-browse" is sitting at 24% of %CPU load.

Just having mozilla open did not have this process running. Is this normal to browse at such a load? Compiz was taking 30% last night, but I managed to tweak the settings and is sitting at 1%

They also have different update cycles, so you might have a problem on mint that is solved everywhere else.
But you are correct

show the processes tab instead...
I can't tell from this.
But no, it is not normal.
I have a five year old laptop and it idles at 0%
But the system monitor might use a lot of resources on your system

>tfw no (You)'s
Give me a challenge, I really need a (Thank you) today.

Yes good call.

I'm a complete noob to Linux but I want to be a 1337 hacker and have a riced out desktop. What do I do?

Sorry if im asking atupid questions but i have close to 0 knowledge on linux. What other distro is there that looks windows-esque but is "better"? Thanks

I have a gtx 960
Ricershit?

Ricing is easy, get a wallpaper and customize all your programs matching the walls color scheme.

Ubuntu Mate, Xubuntu, any distro with a Cinnamon, Mate, Xfeces spin.

the process is related to your file browser.
According to
ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1421580
it might be a problem with a config file that causes it to never quit.
Try renaming it and see if that works. (then you can rename it back and see if you can intentionally break stuff)

If I found a vulnerability in VLC, should I bother reporting it or just release a kit for it and wait for it to get patched?

Yes, but what matters is we know it's being detected as a 960. That's why I asked you to show us that

I meant to type this. Whoops.

another note:
When you see 25% cpu usage on a quad core machine, it is usually a single process that is stuck in a loop.
Most applications is not designed that way, so it is usually a configuration that is gone wrong.
The linux community is not filled with people who don't notice these things if it was intentional.

But if you can fix/break it, go and fill a bug report with your config file that breaks it.
It is useful to the developers as they can possible replicate it and fix it.

How do I resist the urge to ask people who are having trouble with one distro to just switch to Debian so I can help them?

Is the solution to just git gud and transcend all distros and be able to help anybody regardless of what they're running?

Not sure how I would limit my refresh rate on ubuntu.
Not sure how to rename, but thanks for the link!

tyty /fglt/, i am not a complete noob, but still very noob.

Depends a lot on what the problem is.

on the terminal you use mv oldname newname.
In your file manager you just press f2.

that was pretty cool but since i use cmus i have no need for it. i was interested in using mpv as an image viewer, do you have any idea how to achieve this? it would be awesome to be able to see images on the web through mpv and have them there until i select the next one or close it.

>Is the solution to just git gud and transcend all distros and be able to help anybody regardless of what they're running?
yes, unless the problem is actually distro-specific (which is quite rare)

mpv --pause img.jpg