Android gaming: The tech behind it

Sup Forums What do you think of android gaming?

I know you guys play a few dumb games like maybe Hearthstone, Pokemon TCGO, maybe Summoner's War, but do you think at the rout we are going that at some point we will be completely mobile like Japan is with their market? I heard that the PSvita is more popular there than America. Not asking as a Sup Forums question but asking as a tech question.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Gamevice-Controller-iPhone-Plus-6s-Mac/dp/B016GNXJG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467146181&sr=8-1&keywords=Gamevice Controller
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I still feel like this belongs in Sup Forums

Also it's okay but we could use more modern FPS with good graphics, phones like the S7 have a fuckload of gpu power.

I dont play mobile games and I feel anything outside xbox, ps and pc are for kids and you should feel bad.

almost every game I play on my tablet it tries to melt it.
Playing hearthstone will cause the back to burn my hands/legs, depending on if I'm in the bathroom

Say that to my face and not online and watch what happens

Well it would be a lot better if there were more actual games rather than cash grab and micro transaction garbage. Really ruins the experience

>Nintendo is for kids
You've clearly not played Smash, Mario Kart and Splatoon
I hate people like you cause that is all you think

oh shit, you gone get it user!

I test out a lot of games and review mobile games, most are generic versions of the last thing I played. I was hoping something like "Hey look a game that looks different... Nope, it's just a skin"

I'm so bored out of my mind that I play Kairosoft's android games.
I also play WoT on my phone, but that belongs to Sup Forums now.
So, we shouldn't get more Android gaming. Look at OUYA's result.

>OUYA's result.
that thing died too fast, it deserves better. The best game that was on it was was Bombsquad. They made it a PC game which was cool. But as a console, it just didn't get anywhere.

I wanted one too but oh well. It can't be that complicated to recreate an OUYA if you have a Pi.

I play casual games but other than that I don't care really

The only games worth playing are a very minority of the paid games desu, namely the ones that are android ports of retro console games like final fantasy, etc and even then you can easily get a free emulator to run those without paying.

or even download the APKs from some site.
I did that with Magika.
Goat Sim kept crashing.

I've never been able to find a legit site for apk game downloads, got one? All seem dodgy

Yeah, precisely.
Is WoT Blitz available for the OUYA, though?
I have to play it on my chinkphone.

You search "[INSERT NAME] apk download", you click on the first shady link, and then you fucking download it.

Retard.

Well, for APK games, play.mob.org
or Apkmania or how is it called

This, the best games are played on emulators. The industry needs to do more of those

what the first user said. It's not complicated man. However, I will say some of them of MOB(?) data you have to place some where like with FL studio. No one is legit buying that program for 20 bucks

What is WoT again?

I've played all of those and yes, they're for kids. Not that they aren't fun for adults too, but mindless fun without story is a very childish thing.

Since there's no Smartphone general atm, I'm gonna ask here.

I have $20 of Google Play credits, what the fuck should I get? Apps, games, whatever essentials.

>World of Tanks Blitz.

Pretty sure the FF Android games are remakes but whatever. I think they also appeared on DS so you could technically emulate them on that, albeit with less convenient controls and a split screen.

You can emulate some FF games on the DS, but if IV, emulate it on the PSP.
It's far fucking superior compared to the Android version.

I do agree but that doesn't mean there aren't any on Wii U or in Nintendo in general.

ah ok

I would say buy movies but I'm sorta against buying movies when torrenting is easier.
find some really obscure music.

DraStic

Say that to my face and not online and watch what happens

>portable autism simulator

Smartphones do not have a control scheme suitable for real games outside of point&click adventures and turn based strategy or RPG.

This too
You need physical buttons for true control,
Turn based, point click & strategy are all touch screen smartphones are good for

Android gaming? Boring, stale garbage. Nearly all smartphone games are over simplified because they have inaccurate touch or motion-based controls. Plus, everyone has a slightly different device, so performance varies and bugs are more plentiful.

Mobile gaming? Actual potential. Devices like the 3DS and Vita can be successful because they were designed from the ground up to play video games.

Attempts have been made to create gaming-specific Android devices, but there aren't enough good games because the market for these devices is too small.

I don't understand why we can't tho, like why is it difficult to make a gaming android. It could work easily if they really wanted to.

I play a lot of games, this being half of what is installed on my device.

Phone GPUs are more powerful than ever before but mobile gaming will always be a compromise of control on a touch screen.

I have a Bluetooth controller which desu I don't use that much. I have a Sony phone so I could you a PS controller but again I rarely do.

I have three emulators installed and a rake load of game ROMs.

Can you game on a phone? Absolutely but be prepared to put some effort in to getting used to the control systems or compromise with a controller that won't work for some games

I think Android is a potentially excellent platform for gaming, which is woefully under-utilised.

I personally loathe in-app purchases and micro transactions within games; I'd rather pay for a good game up front. But it seems that the former must be a lot more profitable.

Emulation on android is really good. Can't understand why anyone would pay $10.99 for a conversion of an old Final Fantasy game when you could play a perfectly emulated copy of the PlayStation original on FPSE for free. Yes, touchscreen controls suck for many type of game but slow paced strategy, RPG etc are fine.

And Drastic (the DS emulator) is really great if you have a stylus tablet like a Note.

The android conversion of Baldur's Gate is fantastic and shows REAL games can make money and work well on the platform.

But then you wouldn't have to buy a phone and a handheld gaming device.

I've found Solid Explorer to be a very good file manager, but there are so many of them, everyone has their own preference.

I used Flud for torrenting movies and VLC for watching them.

If you like manga, MangaRock (no longer on the Play Store) is very good.

I use CamScanner (PDF creator) for keeping electronic copies of receipts and invoices and things.

As for games:

Radiant Defence - hypnotic and immensely satisfying tower defence with great soundtrack

Machinarium - visually fascinating point n'click adventure / puzzle game

Dungeon Raid - phenomenal tile based puzzle / RPG which somehow manages to incorporate character classes, races and "builds" into an abstract connect 4 format

Triple Town - a wonderful calm and satisfying strategy game with city-building elements

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games are really good if you like that sort of thing.

they really need to make a good fairly small controller that your phone attaches to so you can actually play games. Give it a two sticks and a few buttons. You could still have extra, less used buttons on the screen if needed. It could have it's own battery as well so you dont destroy your phones battery life by playing games. If something like this became readily available smartphone gaming would explode. Nintendo should focus on something like this and shift away from the DS as their games tend to have the most normie appeal i have a feeling it would do well. A few different versions for the main phones (iphone, samsung, nexus) and they'd do quite well i imagine.

Dude there are dozens and dozens of variation of what you are describing available online for as little as five dollars.

>why would any one pay for an old game like that?

ya know, I asked this too when they rereleased Pokemon RBY on the 3DS for 10 bucks when I can basically play it on everything else. :/

link some. All the ones ive seen look like cheap chinkshit. People dont want that. They aren't going to trust their $600-900 phone to a piece of junk.

also almost all of the ones ive seen are connected via bluetooth meaning they dont have a battery that you're phone can take advantage of.

I am not your Google, sir

+1 for you

well then i dont believe your statement. The best i could find is amazon.com/Gamevice-Controller-iPhone-Plus-6s-Mac/dp/B016GNXJG6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467146181&sr=8-1&keywords=Gamevice Controller but people are probably not going to drop $100 on a smartphone controller and it's not for most phones. Having it on the sides also seems like it is too wide and wouldn't be comfortable to hold

also, im not sure what it's like with those controllers but setting up an xbox or ps4 isn't a plug and play process, you have to download 3rd party apps and mess with settings until it's usable, at least last i tried, which most people are not going to do. It needs to be something that most people have before we actually get quality games and not cheap knock-offs

I think mobile gaming in general is a plague. Consoles are cancer as well for the most part. I think Nintendo is really the only "console" the rest are memeboxes for mouth breathers. I will say though that the one thing mobile has for it are emulators. I think that's the real future or avenue for mobile instead of what it's full of now. It's a good replacement for handhelds like the Gameboy/DS all things considered.

>I think mobile gaming in general is a plague
that's just because developers/companies/people realize the sheer volume of smartphone owners so even if their game is terrible the small fraction of people that will play will still give them revenue. I don't really know why there aren't developers making quality games for them. Games like limbo would work great on a smartphone. The fact that smartphone are great emulators means they would be great for games if anyone bothered making halfway decent ones.