Bought a nice pair of headphones and a DAC

Bought a nice pair of headphones and a DAC.

Now what program do I use to listen to music on?

winamp

Musicbee

Foobar

>DAC
I also fell for the meme.

I dunno, I bought a pair of ATH-M50x's and though it's slight, I can tell there's a difference between my shawdy mother board port and the DAC's port. Wouldn't say it was worth the $100 I spent on the DAC, but neither was the amount of money I spent on the headphones. Probably wouldn't buy another pair of headphones or DAC again this expensive.

foobar 2000, but listening to your music through a scarlett solo is no different than listening through onboard audio if you have a motherboard produced after 2012. Also if you're using windows 8 or 10 you're going to experience weird crackling which will require you to change the buffer in the ASIO control panel. You'll also blue screen at least once a day.

the Scarlett is a very nice DAC for home use.

>I can tell there's a difference between my shawdy mother board port and the DAC's port. Wouldn't say it was worth the $100 I spent on the DAC,
Same exact experience here. It's nice having a volume knob though.

>audacious-media-player.org/download
>classic amp-look or foobar-like ui
>multiplatform (including windows)
>supports all formats out of the box
>also supports cuesheets
>100% foss

That, and the quarter inch input for instruments. I play guitar and having that there is a nice add-on.

> Musicbee
Yes

That's an interface for instruments wtf

is this the new meme money dump for audiophiles?

Kill yourself polishfag

>new
No.

the scarlett solo isn't really a meme for audiophiles, it's more for people who need to hook up an xlr microphone with or without phantom power and or a guitar to their computer via USB.

expanding on this, the headphone jack on it was intended to be used to monitor the output of your instruments.

depends on the album
/gtfo

If on Linux, the first step is to use decent sound system and the only choice is obviously OSS4 (OSS3, which is still in mainline - marked 'deprecated' though - has almost identical output quality, but it lacks digital mixer, if you need one).
ALSA, since the first release, is unable to give decent output quality: massive, audible distortions in every frequency and most damned thing (a feature obviously, since it still persists), corruption on mids and highs, which makes the output sound terrible.

Years and years and no advance in the alsa output quality, i started to research what the problem might be, but after looking at the source code, it fast became obvious that the mess is not worth working with.
Looking at OSS4 source code, its the complete opposite; simple (but not well commented by Hannu) and clean, but has incompatibilites with the current kernel, which makes in its current form impossible to merge (and mainline devs have such a hatred for OSS, that it will never, ever get into mainline again). Alas, there is really no need, since it works decently in userspace alone. Its useless with audio production though, because it lacks MIDI support.

The FreeBSD's OSS (which is fork of the last foss oss3 version) has identical sound quality to OSS4 and is well supported.

>If on Linux,
>give up.

Shortened your post for you.

1. thats an audio interface, not a dac. a dac doesnt have XLR inputs
2. i hope you didnt buy that scarlett, cause its shit
3. doesnt matter

Been using a fiio e7 for a few years and want to upgrade to something with a knob sick of volume changing with buttons and the screen is long long dead
Got around $300-500 aud what is a good option?
Is optical less prone to emf garbage like when a thermostat clicks on?

just get e10k then ya dunk

I was interested in getting the scarlett (not OP) whats a good alternative to it for a phantom power supply for a microphone ?
(sorry for hijacking your thread OP but have the free bump)

An M50 doesn't warrant a dac or amp desu. When you get a dac, you get it because spending that same money extra on a pair of headphones will get you worse sound quality compared to just getting a dac and a cheaper pair. The low-mid spectrum of headphones have a fast improvement curve: a $50 pair is extremely shitty compared to a $150, which is shitty compared to a $250, which is bad compared to a $350, which is somewhat worse than a $450. Above $500 the difference becomes small to the point where it's more worthwhile to get a $500 pair with a $300 dac/amp setup than to get a $800 pair that will run on onboard. The same goes for the $300+ range too, i.e. $300 headphones (assuming they're worth this price, this assumption being the same for all the other mentions of a certain-priced pair so far) with a $100 dac or amp will usually sound better than a $400 pair.

It's not a meme to get external audiophile-grade instruments, but it is if you're not taking into consideration your budget and what will actually get you the best bang for the buck.

*a $400 pair without any other high-quality instruments

>ctrl+f
>no mpd

what has Sup Forums come to

this.

mpd+ncmpcpp is the only way user

It's a poor headphone amplifier but works fine on high sensitivity stuff which most monitor headphones are.

>mpd+ncmpcpp
is it 2012 again?

youtube

Lads, how do you like the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm variant? I need a decent closed pair. What's a cheap amp I can pair it with?

It's still the best system I've found for listening to music.

adat

>meme50s

It's cause you have shit headphones that dont benefit from a dac/amp, unless you mobo had some srs emi issues.

The only thing DACs that expensive get you is the satisfaction of spending $300-500 dollars.

And I don't mean to sound overly trite; audio just doesn't follow the same constant improvement curve that the rest of technology does.

There haven't been any real innovations for years. The volume knob literally costs more than the DAC does. Even the highest quality human-hearing-range DAC is a commodity.

A miniDSP HD will provide the potential for far, far more audible sound improvement than a DAC ever could.

Apogee Duet. Quality mic preamps, conversion and has phantom power.

Spotify Premium
foobar2000
ncmpcpp