Why is IBM pretty much dead? What did go wrong?

Why is IBM pretty much dead? What did go wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Flash_Crash
rogerschank.com/fraudulent-claims-made-by-IBM-about-Watson-and-AI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not dead, just home/small business users are not lucrative market.
Better make giant mainframe and sold it to military/government/3 letters agencies.

Get a job

they get paid tons of money owing to hawkeye only.

>What did go wrong?
they moved to an entirely pajeet based company

>Get a job

Is this a new meme? It's not funny, there's nothing but NEETs on 4 chan.

>Why is the 7th largest technology company on Earth pretty much dead?
There's more to technology than trashy Wintel cult laptops, my anonymous friend. PCs never made IBM any real money anyway.

I actually work at one of IBM's California labs. They hired like 150 people in the last 3 weeks.

pic related, it's my employee badge

By dead I ment no one talked about it, and they arent doing shit

how muc h do you get paid?

POWER9 arch is being detailed on August 23rd at HotChips.
Immediately following IBM's presentation is AMD detailing the Zen core architecture.

Also worth noting:
There is a very strong chance that POWER9 is 14nm FinFET utilizing an internally developed SOI based FinFET process. The chips will be fabbed by Global Foundries who recently acquired IBM's fab business along with a host of IP, and engineers.

PC hardware went commodity, x86_64 hardware went commodity. They make shitloads a money off of doing enterprise software implementations, AIX hardware/software & related support, etc., just not really in the consumer biz anymore.

Lucky you
>IBM declined to say how many jobs would be cut overall. The total layoffs could affect more than 14,000 jobs, according to an estimate by Sanford Bernstein analyst Toni Sacconaghi.
>The job cuts come after four straight years of declining revenues as the rise of cloud computing threatens the company’s software and services business. IBM has said it would restructure its workforce to retool for cloud services and data analysis, and could hire an equal number of new employees by the end of the year

>The company said on Friday it had more than 20,000 open positions. Two employees reached Friday said that IBM’s internal job-search tool listed between 7,000 and 8,000 open positions.
>IBM’s last round of layoffs, which affected less than 5,000 employees, came in March.

>This week’s cuts affected workers in the Research Triangle of North Carolina; New York City; Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; and Boulder, Colo. Some positions are being moved to places like India and Costa Rica, according to workers affected by this week’s cuts.
>Earlier in the week, IBM said it would close its 70-acre Somers, N.Y., campus and move those jobs to a facility in North Castle, New York.

They've been cutting for YEARS, tens of thousands of jobs. If you find yourself in an area in demand then good job, enjoy.

Just because Sup Forums - Gaming/Consumerism isn't shitposting about a company constantly doesn't mean it's dead, most of what IBM does nowadays is a little out of the scope of the average ThinkPad hipster or gamertard on this board. There are still occasional POWER system and mainframe threads, IBM still has a ton of R&D, chip fabrication, consulting, software and other shit they sell in earnest. They're far from dead, just not in the public eye 24/7.

IBM no longer has a fab business
X86 is steadily consuming the competition in HPC

IBM isn't a dead company, they're a very slowly dying company. They survive on government contracts, selling IP, and spinning off divisions while constantly cutting back on their work force. Giants don't die and close up shop, they restructure.

>le neet maymay

kys

>kys
This isn't Call of Duty.

They're also trying to do more consulting for SAP and Oracle shit except they aren't particularly good at it compared to others or the vendors themselves. They're increasingly getting caught in fixed price shit that will end up with attempts to pass the buck and lawsuits.

POWER# is a meme, banks can afford it and now that oil is not $130+ a barrel petroleum companies won't buy it, everyone else is headed for the hills with x86_64 and virtualization.

Chip fab is not what it used to be between ARM, Intel pumping out competitive shit at a much lower price point, etc...

In my work we use ibm db2 database which is pretty damn nice and has great documentation for free.
Too bad that ibm's website is fucking horrible to navigate and use.

Not enough, but I'm sticking around because the work environment is really good. You'd expect to have some boss breathing down your neck at IBM, but everyone in my department is incredibly laid back.

Yeah, the company is doing a lot of "restructuring." They're laying off a bunch of older employees in favor of younger people.

they just moved out of the consumer market
they still do quite alot with the government, special organizations and large scientific projects

>IBM no longer has a fab business
Yes, I forgot about that.
>X86 is steadily consuming the competition in HPC
IBM hardware isn't marketed primarily towards HPC usage, like SPARC it's designed for mission-critical systems and other applications where reliability trumps a meaningless synthetic benchmark score all day long.

SOI is just a meme that never took off

You need to be 18 to browse this site.

Not really dead, they have a bunch of software suits and products that are quite neat. At the moment I am devoloping cognitive based applicattions on Watson for my firm, and it's pretty cool.

>arbitrary tripfagging while shitposting

F I L T E R E D
I
L
T
E
R
E
D

>Watson
Nice meme technology, lol

>I announce my filters

There's a tiny possibility in Nintendo NX using some IBM CPU. What would be the candidates in 2016? Some Power6 ou Power8?

>AI is a meme

Our entire stock market is run by AI software

There is literally zero possibility for that. The NX is using a Tegra Soc.
Go back to Sup Forums.

And the stock market is a fucking mess.

>assblasted NEET detected.

God dammit, the few years that you've been away have been great. Please go away again.

chinks bought it

They fell victim to the cult of shareholder value. In order to boost quarterly earnings, they started liquidating their business segments and firing employees in order to cut costs, even though those were what made them their money. First they sold off their printer business, then their hard drive business, then their PC business, and then finally their chip making business. They sold off very successful divisions of their company just because some long-nosed shareholders wanted bigger dividends.

The same thing happened to Motorola. Let this be a lesson to you all that the concept of publicly traded corporations are what's killing our economy.

Proof?

Lenovo bought the thinkpad line but I think that was it.

Poorfag detected.

There was a hiccup a few years ago where the stock market inexplicably lost 9% within a few minutes. They had to shut everything down to stop the selloff.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Flash_Crash

They've got their x86 server line too

I'm a well loved Sup Forums institution

You're a mediocre poster who contributes nothing but a flamboyantly gay persona. Its a shame you weren't in Orlando last week.

This.

I work at the as the Poughkeepsie plant for a sub contractor. They're taking back half of there product for the z frame line and holy shit they are clueless. I feel bad for anyone there, at least I know my company will transfer me to another site.

My last day at IBM is next week. Don't AMA.

Also they're going to use SSD in there servers in a couple of years

ARE YOU A WIZARD

They are business facing so it doesn't make much sense for them to pay shills here.

I tried to get my bosses to get ibm to come to our place and fix our database probs.

>But user that would cost money!
>You going around in circles for a year trying to clear the database costs money to, at least with getting someone in here to do it properly you'd get a new system in place and ready to go along with training for you and others.
>But but that would cost a fortune.

cheating against Kasparov

Top consulting firm is dead... interesting. Thanks for being a fucking retard OP

Watson's not AI, scrublord.
rogerschank.com/fraudulent-claims-made-by-IBM-about-Watson-and-AI

you work at svl?

I work there

What does your job in particular consist of? I'm still in college so I'm not looking for a job yet but I would love to work for IBM.

>I would love to work for IBM.
It's a while since I was at the Itsy Bitsy Machine Company but I hear it's nothing like it used to be.
If you read Chringely (cringely.com) he says they're one step from the edge of oblivion.
IBM used to be a wonderful community. You could enter as a clerk and wind up as a sales manager. Guys I started with included a theatrical stage manger and a public transport driver. Now, a PhD is barely enough to start as the mail-boy.

>If you read Chringely (cringely.com)

found your problem

I work at the Almaden lab.

>team is assigned part of a project
>slack off for a day
>attempt to blast through the assignment within the next 3-10 days, depending on difficulty and length
>realize part-way through that you and your team members need access to X tool, software, etc
>send company request to get credentials for X
>have to wait a business day, sometimes longer
>nothing to do but to slack off until you get access
>take a 2-hour coffee break because you can't do anything
>take a 2-hour lunch break because there's still nothing to do
>go to the biweekly team meeting
>talk about why you can't do anything until you get credentials for X
>it can't be helped
>5:00pm, time to go home
>repeat