/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Mini-Docking-Sation/dp/B0085MQL3K/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41tXXD6CEdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=GVC6FSJYN1M722Y9B3B6
dankpads.com/2016/06/ivy-bridge-14-13-laptops.html
amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-14-1-inch-Professional-Bluetooth/dp/B0158U8WSS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
subtel.de/
elkjop.no/product/data/barbar-pc/LE20DSS0JD00/lenovo-thinkpad-l450-14-barbar-pc-sort
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for my superfish'd lenovo yoga

And as i stated in the last thread, guess what arrived today /tpg/?

A coaster?\

hint, its thicc

real thicc

top to bottom:
>x41
>thiccpad g40
>R30
>R52
>T42

>mfw I fell for the thinkpad meme

and its mint af
eat your heart out, other g40 owner with that chipped vent grate

Hey Sup Forums,
I got my t520 today, but she has a very stiff clit; and my fingers get tired after rubbing her for let's say an hour.

How do I soften her clit?

turn sensitivity to max

how do i configure the trackpoint sensitivity? do I need to download specific drivers?

nevermind. I was lazy. found it.

my x240 is already dying. Screen flickers and locks when adjusting it, freezing, and sometimes when it's turned off it wont turn on until you open it unplug the internal battery and hold the power button (assuming ram is corrupted and needs to be fully drained). Won't be buying another thinkpad. There aren't any good laptops anymore i dont know what to get to replace it.

how? my x220 is older than yours and it's perfectly fine.

I have no idea, i'm not rough with it or anything all of the problems would just arise out of no where. I think after the x220 the quality went down.

even my gaming laptop survived more years than my thinkpads, and I spilled coca cola on it

Is the lenovo x300 thinkpad worth purchasing? I have seen them for $80-$90 online. If I was to get one I would put Gentoo on it and use it for school and Sup Forums.

how many thinkpads do you need?

Need?
>none

want?
>all of them

I have a T420, what dock station do you recommend?
Is this a good one?
amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Mini-Docking-Sation/dp/B0085MQL3K/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41tXXD6CEdL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=GVC6FSJYN1M722Y9B3B6

I'm thinking of getting a refurbished x2-- series. Do you find the keyboard good to type with?

Holy hell 80$? Hop on dat shit

Will do!

i had set the battery threshold of my x201i to %80 on windows that i removed. now the threshold is still active on xubuntu. should i bother looking for a power management software for linux?

i would think stock power management tools for most buntu based distros would be able to deal with it?
you can always try, wouldnt hurt

Shitposting my ivy bridge guide :3

dankpads.com/2016/06/ivy-bridge-14-13-laptops.html

About to hit 20K clicks. (:

>R30
Please tell me you have the most cuckworthy specs on it.

Thats a good deal.
Though the screen isn't the best, it has my favorite keyboard from any Lenovo machine.

oh yeah, the cuckiest
>1ghz p3
>1gb of 133mhz ram
>3.8gb 5400rpm hdd
>8mb ati dedicated gpu
>windows motherfucking 2000

it has a 56k modem, i paid 10$ for a trial of netZero just to shitpost from it once

Is it particularly difficult to replace the shite T440 touchpad with the not-shite T450/T460 physical button pad?

No way, thats awesome.
1GB RAM is nice, my T30 has 512KB :o, A31p has 2GB.

Eh.
After removing the bottom screws, the keyboard is somewhat of a pain if it is grimey, you have to push the bottom part of it up because some screws are hidden between the keys.

It i kind of easy, the ribbon cable for the touchpad is below the keyboard ribbon cables, one thing i came across a problem was units with fingerprint scanners, those ribbon cables are glued/taped to the frame. I could of ripped the cable but luckily it was sturdy.

Oddly enough, when I rescrewed the touchpad to the palmrest I couldn't tighten it all the way on one side because it was a bit recessed, not flush.

That's not so bad, I've done that on my T420 to add more memory. I don't have to cut the frame or anything, it just fits right in?

Alright, so ive found a T43 for 70$.
Which is expensive as shit.

Except for the fact that its brand new, brand new as in still in its box, everything is still wrapped in plastic and foam.

Wat do.

Also on the buy list is a 600 with windows 95 for 200$ (im sure everyone's seen those on ebay), or a 770Z for 40$, but its a bit beat up, nothing serious, but a good cleaning and possibly some scratch repair needed

Yeah.
I mean it is a little bit tricky to put the ribbon cable back in the motherboard but it is pretty easy otherwise, just a bit more steps than a T400 would be.

600 is way too pricey, i mean like... 80 for a good one but thats still a bit too much. I paid $50 for one of mine, luckily i got a second one from work.

770Z, why that model?
I sold a 5:4 display for $250, I have a second one but i need to clear bios on it or mobo swap.

I like the 770 series because they are fat as fuck. but they usually have palmrest wear because of the shit they used to coat it, at least it doesn't have the medical smell of the 600.

I think I paid $80 for a T43p.
Nice that it is in a box still, thats pretty hard to find. Keep it, itll add value to it (which it should cost more desu)

im interestred in the 770z because of its unique little lcd display it has on it

looking closer, its not beat up, the fucker just didnt bother to clean the poor machine

im thinking ill max my bid at 40$ over the course of the next few days

Yeah the LCD is pretty neat, dat volume wheel.
Not bad, good luck.
Its not the 5:4 display model (they have a slightly thicker bezel at the sides.

I love mine, the battery still held a charge when I got it, small charge, but some.

What can you run on this thins, and can you control the LCD?

God that is morbid. How would you go about cleaning that?

its a 366mhz pentium 2 with 128mb of ram and an 8mb dedicated gpu

i actually dont know what could run on it, im only 19, the oldest shit i can think of that might run on it is maybe a habbo hotel retro from pre 2005, or possibly command and conquer

i think the LCD is limited to battery life and other indicators, its not a printable screen

q-tips, alcohol and my air compressor

my t42 was that bad and now its pretty clean

Roller Coaster Tycoon, Diablo 1 and 2, Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Doom, Quake, all the PC adventure games from the 90s

i forgot i bought rct on gog
ive also got ceasar 3, which looks fun as fuck

>guns and GoG
/tpg/ is the best general

well its not an actual gun, i took that pic for a "how edgy is Sup Forums" thread once

legends p08 c02 bb pistol

The dream is crushed.
I'm going to /h/

amazon.com/Lenovo-Thinkpad-14-1-inch-Professional-Bluetooth/dp/B0158U8WSS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Bought this today. Mainly gonna be using it as a shitposting/youtube/programming/business laptop, most important factors are build quality and screen resolution (1600x900). It's an L440. Did I do good?

>running Mint on an X220
>use it mostly for work and internet shit but get a rare inkling to play some vidya
>install Spelunky
>runs hot and choppy as fuck, sound is about five seconds delayed
Is this normal or is my computer just retarded?

Which spelunky

how difficult was it upgrading to FHD on dat sweet 430s? I'm scared to try it

I have an X220 with Windows 7 installed and Spelunky runs fine. Assuming you're talking about the freeware version, that is.
If not, I'm not too surprised. These things are awful for gaming.

Alright /tpg/, I need some help.
My mom got a T420, and I was gonna give her a fresh install of Windows 10 to get rid of all the bloatware. In order to do a fresh install, you need a product key, but of course this thing only has an OEM key. You can upgrade to Windows 10 without a product key, but that would keep all the files, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
Anyway, tl;dr, I have an OEM key but I need an actual product key to upgrade to Windows 10.

Guess this isn't really a Thinkpad question, but it seems pretty basic so I'm sure one of you guys has an answer.
Unless all of you nerds fell for the Linux meme.

You're installing bloatware if you're installing Windows 10.

>can't figure out how download windows
These people browse Sup Forums

>selling your mom out to the botnet

Ebin ;^)
Nah, but I prefer 7. I got an X220 with 10 installed a few months ago and the first thing I did was load 7 onto it.
She just wants 10 for reasons.

Nigga I know how to download Windows, that's not my problem. My problem is that I'm too lazy to figure out my product key.
Also I mainly browse Sup Forums, if that gives you any insight.

can ANYONE beat my chinkpads specs?

What's the point of owning a laptop with shitty battery life

>Windows 10
>2TB seagate
>not even a WD Scorpio Black
user please.

yeah battery is not the best but I'm never away from a wall with it. I have a tablet for most browsing, the p50 is my work computer.

At that might anyone of the egpu/dock fags ITT could beat you

The Windows 7 sticker with a key is under the battery. Or you can just upgrade and do the "Refresh Windows" thing to get it back to a clean image.

I'm busting your balls, that actually is a beast laptop.

>implying scaling works on windows 7 for 4k
>implying I need a meme HDD

Hey guys, just bought a used T420 off of eBay and I'm also buying a smartcard reader to install (below the HDD cage, I guess?). Only question is, does anyone have a good place to buy a smart card for authentication and whatnot?

Hey guys, thinking about buying a thinkpad.
Is there a thinkpad that maxes at 32GB RAM?

I doubt any of the T series does, bummed about that.

W520 can have 32gb for all your needs, and its basically a T520 but beefier internals.

>thinkpad
>not using an hitachi drive

Hitachis are pretty good, I got an old deathstar 80gb 7200 from 2008 as a spare drive and I still run it, hasn't died.

do you guys go outside with your thinkpads?

I only began to use this meme yesterday, and it's raining outside right now, so not yet

You're taking me back to the times when I actually went out and did things
...and also when the X220t still had the rubber notches

Fuck I'd like to go on holiday again. Been nearly 3 years and I need my fill of cheap booze and trains

Any yuropoors here?

Where do you get your Chinkpad batteries?
I recently picked up a T420 and it's dead after about 2 hours

Last time I bought from: subtel.de/

They have option for deducting VAT for business clients, give two year warranty and have competetive price.

The battery was ofc non-Lenovo Chinese one but has worked fine so far and since they trust it enough to give a warranty I guess it is ok.

Is the item location filter on ebay fucked? I check Yurop but it doesn't do anything It keeps showing american thinkpads

What OS would run these best? XP? Maybe 95 or 2000?

Hey /tpg/ anyone got problems with getting Debian/XFCE to detect screen closure on an X230? Been driving me mad for a few hours, now and none of the workarounds have worked.

Some DEs wont sleep on screen closure if you have an external display connected.

Shouldn't be that, I'm just using the internal display at the moment, it's a fresh install on a newly purchased thinkpad

>do you guys go outside with your thinkpads?
Of course.

hi /tpg/ Does changing the thermal paste of a x230 removes the guarantee ?

>that T420 lifestyle

Dem t420 stickers

>mouth fedora

>HD202
My nignog!

Just meme'd and got a T420. Can someone assist me on the WWAN port? Will most cards be supported? Does the SIM card slot behind the battery communicate to the WWAN card somehow or is that only compatible with a few select cards?

Thx.

Any Norwegians looking for a pretty good deal?

elkjop.no/product/data/barbar-pc/LE20DSS0JD00/lenovo-thinkpad-l450-14-barbar-pc-sort

Pick up a cheap SSD from Multicom/Komplett/whatever and you have a beast budget machine for around 3000nok.

>l series
>good deal

Hahahahhaa

What is the point of buying a coreboot supported laptop if it depends on proprietary blobs?

why are there no modern 15" quad core chinkpads that are reasonably thin

I don't need MacBook Air thin, but the if the 15" MBP can fit a quad core, why not the T560/P50s?

The P50 is literally a brick

so, using a guide as to not fuck anything up, i disassembled my t420 yesterday just enough to replace the cpu thermal paste (took off keyboard and palm rest). after putting it back together in the reverse order that I disassembled it, now the left click (keyboard side) doesn't work. the keyboard connector/cable don't appear damaged and all the other buttons work fine; is this a common problem that can be remedied or am I fucked?

/g is for /gay fur

hot!

Woah user, chill.

Ever since I got my x61 I havn't touched my main computer. I love it. Once I put in an SSD in it it will literaly be perfect.

This is a /g fur board nao

are X300 and X301 displays any different?

according to wiki the resolution is the same, but is there perhaps any difference in brightness or something?

Furfag pls go.

But it's getting so hot in here

>x300
>SL7100
>64GB
>2GB
>not much wear
>battery holds 1.5 to 3 hours seller says
>130 EUR

what's your opinion fellow eurofags, is this a miracle bargain for an x300?

Because MacBooks are superior in every single way?

>2016
>buying a chinkpad
Lmaoing @ ur life