Is it possible to own a car with complete freedom? Pic not related

Is it possible to own a car with complete freedom? Pic not related.

Other urls found in this thread:

osvehicle.com
localmotors.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=ysHpmrwsEsY
youtube.com/watch?v=NCdLFhUmubc
komando.com/columns/288320/your-cars-hidden-black-box-and-how-to-keep-it-private/all
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing#Computer-controlled_ignition_systems
usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2014/12/26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_data_recorder
what-when-how.com/automobile/open-loop-engine-control-systems-automobile/
osvehicle.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What you need is a classic LADA without a fancypants computer.

/o/ here.
Just get a manual, user.

pirate_bay.torrent

This. Buy an AE86 or some other old car.

What freedom do you want from a car?

Дa

tesla runs ubuntu and open patents.

And also charges you to unlock the full functionality of hardware that's already in the vehicle.

>what is battery provisioning

No, they don't.

The answer is mechanical diesel.

Feel free to walk.

Feel free to eat a dick

A bicycle

>buying a memerolla

Good Old Sierra Cosworth ;)

Feel free to suck mine.

What's so great about the lada and is there a specific year of the car you should get?

Tesla does open their patents and their cars do indeed run on modified ubuntu.

Modern cars come with a lot of firmware that is proprietary. Not just the radio, but important parts like the brakes. Hell, the jews have been working hard to make it highly illegal to break the firmware under claims of copyright infringement. Modify your car and go to jail.

search "open source automobile"
osvehicle.com

There's also Local Motors, but they use Creative Commons license.
localmotors.com/

Tesla cars do not run on Ubuntu. Maybe the infotainment system, but absolutely nothing else.
Yea, so what if it's proprietary? That shit isn't a game, you shouldn't be touching it.

The bad guys won't care about breaking the law and car manufacturers have been known to take their time with firmware updates. You'll be sorry when criminals figure out an exploit on how to remotely turn on the breaks for a car.

>That shit isn't a game, you shouldn't be touching it.

What is tuning, for 200, Alex?

Get something RWD and drop a 350 with a manual in it.

>buy 1990 car
>advance timing at the distributor to increase engine performance

>buy 2010 car
>distributor replaced with electronic timing system running proprietary software protected by patent law
>unable to modify timings

>this is progress
>proprietary fags will defend this

>You'll be sorry when criminals figure out an exploit on how to remotely turn on the breaks for a car.

You mean turn the breaks off? Because that seems somewhat more dangerous.

>The bad guys won't care about breaking the law
What the fuck are you talking about?
>You'll be sorry when criminals figure out an exploit on how to remotely turn on the breaks for a car.
Yea that doesn't happen. The only time something close happened was when Chrysler was being Chrysler and doing stupid shit.

You don't give CANBUS access to the internet, that's just stupid.
Good job not knowing fucking anything. Fuel and timing maps are not the controller's operating system.

>You don't give CANBUS access to the internet, that's just stupid.
Hello JEEP.

Yup.

If you own a car, you're part of the problem. If people cycled or used motorbikes and scooters while cars were only used for families we wouldn't have road accidents. If you own a car and don't use it for camping or transporting family around, you're a wasteful selfish fuck conformist. Cars are the devil's machines, they represent corruption.

This thread is worse than a Feminist Vegan tantrum.

Yes...I acknowledged that.

GOD BLESS SLOVAK REPUBLIC!

NAD TATROU SA BLYSKA!

this
Everyone makes fun of the douchebags that drive chevy v8s in the city, but no one gives a shit that you are driving a 2 ton machine to go two miles down the road to work everyday

Get a Leaf if you want a cheap, low maintenance car.

youtube.com/watch?v=ysHpmrwsEsY

youtube.com/watch?v=NCdLFhUmubc

If you want an internal combustion car you can cheaply modify, get a Miata.

>Not believing in freedom.

Most people don't fuck with timings. Even if you wanted such freedom, it's essentially meaningless for the VAST VAST MAJORITY.

Do you even capitalism?
>being this autistic

Shut up.

>I don't know how shit works
We know, you don't have to make it so obvious.

Get an old one with no computers and shit

Pic is the truck I drove back when I was a freetard (I've since seen the light of proprietary software and moved to a Toyota Corolla)

>Cars are part of the problem
>But people should use cars
>We wouldn't have road accidents
This is a special kind of retard, or a troll.

>the VAST VAST MAJORITY

the vast majority doesn't care about something so I'm not allowed to either?

Is that your point?

>capitalism
>implying that we have anything remotely close to free market capitalism in the U.S.

Chances are your car's location is tracked by the botnet if it's made in the 2000's and beyond.
komando.com/columns/288320/your-cars-hidden-black-box-and-how-to-keep-it-private/all

Bicycle or two legs are the only non-botnet open source modes of transportation.

no u

Nice made up bullshit.

>Bicycle or two legs are the only non-botnet open source modes of transportation.

Motorcycle.

>look MA! I posted it again!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing#Computer-controlled_ignition_systems

>b-bullshit cause I said so!
The botnet got you.
usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2014/12/26/keep-your-car-black-box-private/20609035/

What are you even doing?

Fuel and timing maps are not hard coded into the vehicle's controllers, you fucking idiot.

holy shit: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_timing#Computer-controlled_ignition_systems

>Newer engines typically use computerized ignition systems. The computer has a timing map (lookup table) with spark advance values for all combinations of engine speed and engine load. The computer will send a signal to the ignition coil at the indicated time in the timing map in order to fire the spark plug. Most computers from original equipment manufacturers (OEM) cannot be modified so changing the timing advance curve is not possible.

Could that be any more clear?

What about public transportation like a bus or train. Is that botnet?

Also, any car 1999 or earlier is guaranteed not botnet, yes?

From that article
>"The information includes vehicle speed, throttle position, airbag deployment times, whether the brakes were applied, if seatbelts were worn, engine speed, steering angles and more. Manufacturers may also have up to 30 additional data points if they want, excluding, they say, GPS location, video and audio. Also, a black box only stores information for 20 seconds around the crash."

So far some states allow insurance companies to retrieve the data, but 1337 h4x0rs can take the GPS data from modern cars if they find a way.

It's a a sentence on Wikipedia with no source for the entire paragraph it's within.

Come on. I'm telling you how it is.

Not unless you start your own country. They're regulated everywhere.

OP here, nobody really knows how to drive them in my country.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_data_recorder
It started in the mid 90's with very few models having it, only for basic accident info. Modern 2010 cars have it embedded with GPS tracking. Just stay away from late 90's to present and you'll be fine. There's a site that shows the complete list from model year to make as to which cars have them. However, it's safe to say every single new car has them.
Bus and train is fine if you pay with cash for a ticket instead of those scanning membership cards.

The Caterham Seven is the most free and accessible car available. You can even assemble it yourself.

what-when-how.com/automobile/open-loop-engine-control-systems-automobile/

>Subsequently electronic control unit (ECU) was used to meet the requirement of greater precision of the timing. The timing requirements are stored in a memory of ECU. The timing data must relate the timing of the spark to the two factors, the engine speed and engine load (Fig. 18.10).

kill yourself

There are some open source cars but I don't believe anyone has an open source plant for them yet. Not sure if they're Libre as defined by FSF either.

osvehicle.com/

Car soft/firmware should all be Free software or at least come with fully disclosed and verifiable sources. Having to blindly trust car manufacturers to not fuck up their coding (which has happened) should be unacceptable. Keep them publicly accountable.

Get any Diesel shitbox built in the 80s or early 90s.
Old Mercedes are based and durable as fuck.
Either the W201 or W123.
Alternatively, older BMW are also pretty nice.

What the FUCK are you trying to argue? That electronic ignition systems exist? Yea, they do. They don't work how you think they do.

Are you retarded? I said they should be used by FAMILIES not the average person you illiterate worthless worm.

timing tables are hardcoded into the ECU

We clearly have a troll here guys.

Notice the similar writing style, punctuation, and capitalization? Then notice the inane inflammatory responses to factual assertions, backed up with links and evidence.

Ignore this fool.

2/10 made me reply

in the future you want to appear more level-headed and slow your reply rate to keep them on the line

Why the fuck is my post roped in to this other shit?

Yea, but they aren't. They're completely reprogrammable.

nice cover troll

Yes — It's called MY TWO FEET

Fuck you

>They're completely reprogrammable.

With chips that break the encryption and break your warranty terms?

>simultaneously posts on his phone AND on his laptop for this very scenario

I feel bad for you son

Read up on canbus Sup Forums that's more your thing

Build a CJ-7 jeep
Its one of those things where they are extremely popular, so there is a huge aftermarket.
The aftermarket is so large, you can quite literally build a brand new one from scratch from replacement parts.

You can buy a new replacement frame.
You can buy a whole new body kit, the tub and every single panel
Its a very simple car, you can put in any drive train.
Just put a carbed motor in there to not be stuck with proprietary software.

Its the closest I can think of to being free
Every single aftermarket part are like the original, or are modified from the originals to be better. There is no rule to stop you from copying and modifying the parts, hence the off road people building heavier duty parts.

You arent bound to anything, and piecing it together you are building it to your spec.
Look at JC Whitney, they have huge amount of parts for a lot of cars like that

Sounds like freedom to me.

>55mph on the freeway

thx for your contribution

we now expect you to send the 55 gpu threads to Sup Forums

Has everything to do with gearing your differentials, and your final gearing of your transmissions gearbox. You would have to really fuck up hard.

But considering the fact that it weighs less than a corolla and you put V8s in them, I wouldnt worry about a lack of power.

i thought it was the risk of the thing flipping up in the wind like a speed boat since the interior and lack of solid windows makes the whole thing like one big sail

Its an overstated problem, mostly caused by people putting gigantic tires on them and trying to hot rod them around tight corners.

I owned a YJ, and yeah it felt topheavy around corners.
But to be honest, my Cherokee and my Isuzu Trooper 2 felt way worse around corners and on the highway when there was high speed crosswinds.

>capitalism == planned obsolescence

self-educated priest of capitalism detected