AMD RX 480 launch summary, thread #5

Performance summary:
1- Tom's put this card as below the GTX 970 and R9 390, but not by much.
2- TechPowerUp, Anandtech, PC Perspective, Hexus, HardwareCanucks, and KitGuru put the card at slightly above the GTX 970 and R9 390.
3- LegitReviews, GamerNexus and HardOCP puts the card on par with the GTX 970 and R9 390.

Details:
1- All reviews mention that the cards does considerably better on DX12, where it can beat the GTX 980
2- The reviews praise the card's overall power consumption, but some note that it exceeds the standard power limits (86W from PCIe, instead of 75W)
3- Most lament the temps of the reference cooler.
4- Most of the reviews note that the reference cooler does well on the noise. As good as nVidia's reference cards? No, but this is something to note, considering the horrible reference jet engines of AMD's 290/290X cards.
5- Overclocking results are mixed, some reviewers getting up to 10% OC, and some barely 2%.

Overall:
A good launch for AMD. The card is slightly above the GTX 970/R9 390, and cheaper. Once non-reference versions are out, with better temps, this should be a great purchase. If you already have a GTX 970/R9 390, this card will do nothing for you.
(1/2)

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/
anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616.html
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93932-amd-radeon-rx-480-14nm-polaris/
tweaktown.com/reviews/7756/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-starting-rebellion-199/index.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72889-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-17.html
kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2496-amd-rx-480-8gb-review-and-benchmark-vs-gtx-970-1070
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Review-Polaris-Promise
hardocp.com/article/2016/06/29/amd_radeon_rx_480_video_card_review
computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127838
tweakers.net/reviews/4709/8/amd-radeon-rx-480-crossfire-vr-dx12-en-overklok-getest-project-cars-en-the-witcher.html
wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1060-special-launch-event-july/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The sources:
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/
techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/
anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616.html
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93932-amd-radeon-rx-480-14nm-polaris/
tweaktown.com/reviews/7756/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-starting-rebellion-199/index.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/72889-radeon-rx480-8gb-performance-review-17.html
kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2496-amd-rx-480-8gb-review-and-benchmark-vs-gtx-970-1070
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Review-Polaris-Promise
hardocp.com/article/2016/06/29/amd_radeon_rx_480_video_card_review
computerbase.de/2016-06/radeon-rx-480-test/

FAQ:
>When will we get non-reference cards?
Typically, within a couple of months of launch.

>Buy this, or buy a GTX 970/R9 390?
The RX 480 is slightly better, for slightly cheaper, so go for it instead. If you absolutely need a card RIGHT NOW and cannot wait for it to be in stock, then you do not lose much by getting a GTX 970/R9 390.

>Is it worth upgrading from a [card X] to this card?
If you have something higher than a 380X, then no. If you have something like the GTX 760 or weaker, then it is worth getting this card.

>I was expecting it to beat GTX Titan X SLI! This SUCKS!
This is a $200 card. It beats older $200 cards, and is on par with older $330 cards.

>[company x] BTFO! Fanboys on suicide watch! lel, kek, and kys!
We can do that, but it is a waste of your time and energy. We can talk about the new card instead.

(2/2)

Ordered one today that'll be arriving tomorrow.
If I'm not satisfied with the stock cooler I'll be returning it within the 4 weeks that the place I ordered from allows you, even if you've used it.

>A good launch for AMD

>A good launch for AMD.

Can this play Overwatch on ultra at 4k 240hz?

(You)

go back to Sup Forums

Wait for AIBs

>The card is slightly above the GTX 970/R9 390, and cheaper

3 bonus rupees have been deposited into your account.

((((())))))

No, AMD BTFO!
It doesn't beat a $700 card, simply BTFO!

>inc vat

lol cuck

>buying this dead on arrival card in EU and UK

Was considering getting this but I was expecting it to be close to 980 level performance, not 970.
Would getting a gtx 980 still be a good idea?
Currently eyeing this one: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127838

The King!!

>10 second apart timestamp

You can't help that AyyMD's fuckup is so bad it's bringing out the hivemind.

AMD do not set the prices, except for in the US.
They cannot be held responsible for greedy governments and greedy retailers.

Ignore any 970 shills, you're paying less for less vram (and the fact that NVIDIA are shifting them en masse to clear inventory)

>4gb ram

Heh

wew he's gonna be pooing fire

Nothing is going to use more than 4gb anyway lol

Seems the opinion so far is...

Decent leap in performance for budget cards, stock cooler is shit, wait a month or two for third party coolers and OC editions?

Hey can this 200$ dollar card play Witcher3 4k on Ultra with Hairworks on 60+ FPS?

if not,AMD BTFO LOLOLOLOL xD

>4GB 970

3.5gb*

check ebay for 980's. there are some going for really cheap after people are selling them to upgrade to the new cards.

Holy shit, crossfire 480 = GTX1080

tweakers.net/reviews/4709/8/amd-radeon-rx-480-crossfire-vr-dx12-en-overklok-getest-project-cars-en-the-witcher.html

>newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127838

$120 extra for 10% performance is not worth it.

N-no bully

It's coming...

AMD bankruptcy imminent...

>it's ok when amd does it!

k

If the card doesnt conform to the pci-e spec, thats not a good launch for amd. Pretty sure that they wont be able to sell the card unless some major changes are made.

Doing pretty good.

They need to sort out drivers though, DX12 performance can theoretically be a lot higher.

Ive never bought used tech before and I'm very cautious about buying from some random person online.

Yeah but I am a little iffy on the power consumption.

For anyone wondering, expect third party cards out around 12th of July, I recommend not buying reference, there's no reason to, just wait for the 3rd party. Also, PowerColor is going to release a dual 480 GPU, their new flagship, I wonder how that's gonna do.

But they're not

>tfw Kyle was right and they sell the graphics division to Intel

Yes.
Also that this is the best price/performance card out there

Not even kidding this card is going to prematurely end the RX 480 and any relevance it once had.

Don't worry, the 150 dollar Nvidia 1050 Ti will do exactly this!

literally who cares? do you live in a 3rd world shithole?

I figured something was up with the voltage curve and power consumption at stock.
This is it

3 GB card

Lol lol

Can't make this shit up

delete this

I doubt a retard who doesn't know that the 480 is Polaris 10 and not 11 has insider info.

i bought my 980 off ebay a year ago for over £100 cheaper than the store price at the time. just buy from someone who has a good reputation and pay with paypal so you're covered by ebay if someone fucks you over.

No one needs more than 1gb anyways. Eat it up goy

>muh vram that will never be used

There's a 6GB version.

>underwhelming card
>it'll be months before I can actually get one
>Just built a new rig and I was hoping this thing would deliver on their claims of 980 tier preformance
Give me one good reason why I shouldn't buy a 970 off Ebay.

So should I stick with refurbished products from a company or even random people with good ratings will be fine?

I'm upgrading from a gtx 560ti to an rx 480 or a gtx 1060, whichever looks better after the 1060 releases. I don't really run that demanding of games GPU-wise, but I play a few CPU-intensive games and am wondering what a good modern upgrade for my i7 960 3.2ghz would be?

You don't need 6gbs though. It's either 4gbs or 8gbs. Anything in between doesn't make sense, like 3-core processors.

-t. Butthurt europeen that wants to crush competition with onerous regulation

Repeating my question from previous thread.

When will AMD most likely to released their 470/460 line up?

>retailers inflate nvidia 10xx prices
>reeee nvidia jews increasing the prices and fucking us over reeeeeeeee

>retailers inflate amd rx480 prices
>i-i'ts not amd
>it's the r-retailers

Shit dx12 performance
Double power consumption
Run hotter

Cmon you're not retarded user, I expect more from a Sup Forums poster.

i5 6500 if you aren't going to overclock it

You really think the 970 is going to perform better in dx12 over the period of 2 years, for example?

wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1060-special-launch-event-july/
>Benchlife reports that the 3 GB models would be priced around $249 US while the 6 GB models will be priced at $299 US.
Noooooooo. Literally all they had to do to bankrupt AMD was give it an equivalent price to the 480. Even making it slightly more expensive but perform much better would kill a lot of appeal the 480 had.

both are fine. as long as they have a good reputation then you're set.

I dont know hot to delete them -=\

>tfw your wife buys a 1080 for her son but only lets you get a 480 for yourself

I've never claimed that NVIDIA artificially increase prices
They can set their own prices, it's a free market.

That's what I was looking at, yeah. Is it worth the upgrade? Or is the difference minimal?

>dx12
There's no way in hell I'm installing Windows 10.

For $300?

Prices have gone through the roof with the 10xx because Nvidia either can't or won't meet demand.

Different shit going on.

>3gb version priced like a 8gb 480
wtf njudea?

In case you asking for serious question and not trolling.
Lower performance with DX12 titles and maybe the upcoming Vulkan, so its less future proofs.
Unless you want to play old games then be happy with a used 970 from ebay.

Satisfy?

Thanks for the advice user

yup the vram will never be used. That's why the 3.5gb wasn't such a blunder at anything with >PS2 textures.

Wait, if that's the price of the "founders edition", then some of the AIB cards will legitimately be cheaper than that. AMD could still be finished and bankrupt.

>192-bit
yeah nah fuck off

Those prices are fine.

Nvidia's VRAM is of exceptional quality.

it's an upgrade that you'll notice but it's nothing crazy, cpus havent come as far as gpus in the same timespan

worthwhile upgrade though imo, if you run cpu intense games

nobody is ever going to need more than 2mb of hdd space lol

>DX12
>Windows 7
Pick one.

NVIDIA is fucking finished

Can someone sum up the merits of Polaris to me?
The name seems to be dropped a lot, but does it actually bring anything new and exciting that doesn't show up in the benchmarks?

Considering how bottlenecked nvidias 16nm wafer supply is you'll probably get one by the end of september for $350.

You will when you upgrade your CPU because if you don't some of your chip features will not be working.

Do newer amd cards require a mobo with uefi? I read something about the 380 needing it, but I haven't heard anything like that since I read it.

>Want a GPU for games but doesn't want the best OS for games
I bet you're one of those user who couldn't read for shit for themselves and think that spying = telemetry, also, misses the point of the telemetry being used only for microsoft account stuff, aka, not applicable when using a local account.
>Being retarded
Typical from Sup Forums fags leaking into Sup Forums

You might want to double check their market share. AMD won the sub $400 bracket in terms of performance last gen, but Nvidia still sold more. Nvidia won't be finished for a looooooong time.

This doesn't surprised me at all. I got tons of experience of buying hundreds of cards from both companies.

AMD is still far a better option specially when you need to buy a lot of them.

I cringed

How is it compare to a R9 290? Worth upgrading?

Yes because the 1080 non-founders edition cards are _significantly_ cheaper than the nvidia goym edition, only $700.

When do i get to stop playing this fucking waiting game

As long as it's a decent upgrade I don't mind. My CPU/GPU are old as fuck anyway, and replacing them is as much for the performance boost as it is for replacing aging hardware.

>telemetry is totally harmless bro
Yeah, nah. If it was totally harmless then it wouldn't secretly communicate with Microsoft even when you have everything turned off.

Not worth it if you have a 290

We do not know. We have rumoured specs, and cards are typically launched in "families", so probably less than 4 months.

Female pedophiles are more common than male pedophiles. Just nobody cares.

you do realize that the reference cards will be like $40 more expensive. it's a weird thing to do but that means the aftermarket cards will be like ~$210 and ~$250 which will put it within the same pricing as amd aftermarket cards or maybe even cheaper.

Vulkan is basically DX12 without win10.