/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

youtube.com/watch?v=ayojl7Op37A

CAN'T BARRAGE THE FARAGE

Previous thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/RubenRocha/ftpscout
tempgit.mooo.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Qupqu1xe7Io
vec3.ca/gjk/implementation/
docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why do you have to force your Sup Forums shit onto /dpt/?

Why isn't compiling a 32 bit program as 64 bit just a straight performance win every single time?

Shouldn't the compiler be able to use all the new registers to great effect? It seems like usually the difference is only 1-2%.

64 bit is a meme

Fuck you. You're the reason my fucking Linux distribution requires four gigabytes of mostly redundant 32 bit libraries just so my fucking Nvidia driver can operate.

working on this shit
github.com/RubenRocha/ftpscout

>linux
lol

>write up QMC simulation code in Mathematica
>let it run as I leave to spend 2 nights at a friend's house
>come back
>computer has restarted
>none of the results were saved (if the code even terminated at all)
How have you been cucked by your code today, Sup Forums?

Writing a discord bot in node.

Anyone?

>Training neural net while I visit family
>Come back and my computer is running Windows 10
FUCK YOU MICROSOFT

I got a good answer in the previous thread, but I'll ask again in case anyone can think of more ideas.

How do I create a dictionary of synonyms that is efficient in terms of retrieving synonyms of a word?

Basically, I want to use some sorts of data storage to store groups of words, and enable an end-user to request any word and be prompted with all the other words in its group (its synonyms). Afterwards, I want to be able to add spelling corrections, suggestions, and relevancy ranking (using edit distance for example).

Also, some groups may contain the same word, so I would like to return both groups separately.

Any ideas how to get there? Any particular database, data structures, concepts, etc. that could help?

Rate my anonymous git hosting site!
tempgit.mooo.com/

Now you can make your own repos!
And you can push to any repo you want, no authentication needed!

Remember to license your work in licenses like BSD or MIT. GPL is cuckoldry.

>Build hash map from dictionary
>Each entry points to a struct with a vector of pointers to synonyms
Literally baby's first programming assignment

You should lint every submission and if it's invalid, do not accept

What's with the domain?

it's free!

No, fuck you. Public domain is the only non-shit option.

Because the don is going to save america. He won't ever use beta cuck languages like GPL, he only would use alpha languages. Trump will make Sup Forums great again.

Will Trump ban all the trapfags and gays? That's the only way to make Sup Forums great again.

Trump will make it legal to kill them. He'll also execute communists like (((Richard Stallman)))

But user, you're not a real programmer if you're not into traps, everyone knows this already!

>beta cuck languages like GPL

day1: average pol shitlord finds out about Sup Forums

being into traps is not gay tho

kek

Anyone here have experience working with reportlab?

I want to "group" the following together:

Paragraph
Table
Paragraph
Paragraph

so that it stays on the same page and won't split at the end of the page, instead taking the whole chunk to a new page.

KeepTogether doesn't work since it just puts each chunk on a separate page.

stay delusional

stay delusional

go home to your containment board

>Trump will be president
stay delusional

>Brexit won't happen
stay delusional

Yeah, sure thing kid. Shillary or Gary will be president.

If Brexit can happen, anything can famiglia

Triggered SJW detected, stop being such an oversensitive retard

Why are engineers and scientists so bad at explaining things in simple terms?

Decided to use Kruskals algorithm as a basis for a more complicated procedural graphics generation. Gonna use spanning tree produced to control several different parameters in the generation algorithm.

Obviously try to check what the "maze" looks like from the starter code I hashed together.

>Complete shit
>Loops everywhere
>Cells not even joined to the maze
>Obviously not a spanning tree

No idea exactly how I'm being completely cucked by my own brain but it sure feels bad to fail at something so simple.

because most things that need to be explained aren't simple

Stems from the basis that what they find simple, you do not.

Same thing happens when you try to explain pokemon to your labrador.

My Labrador doesn't try to learn about Pokemon. I just say shit and it listens, the words mean nothing without association. I actually really want to learn this shit but people keep going round in circles and tripping over words and throwing out new terms without ensuring I know what they mean.

What are you trying to learn?

getting some of the hentai webapp parts up. Creating a pseudo-window to hold interactions and images.

I'm tired though. Might call it a day for now.
or at least take a nap
>still gotta translate buttons
>still gotta create the AI-type kinda portion of the system and the RNG mood-o-meter.

youtube.com/watch?v=Qupqu1xe7Io
This.

It started okay but I'm halfway through and he is just going around in circles and not really explaining anything.

Essentially if you actually want to learn science and/or engineering you need to start with the basics and move upwards. There are actually specific things you should learn first before you try and get into anything actually interesting or you'll have a house with no foundations.

Don't let this dissuade you though. When you have good fundamentals, understanding the rest becomes easy.

also, obv the buttons don't do anything. Except the red minimize button. That closes the pseudo-window.

So, I'll have to use that once I get the AI-ish interaction system up

did you read the original paper? life ain't easy little man.

>wants to learn something at the 3-4th year level
>gets mad that someone who's spoonfeeding him information assumes some prior knwoledge
Are you a fucking high school dropout?

I don't want to learn all this shit from the ground up, I just want this one fucking algorithm so I can be done with this forever. Not everyone is a mega autist that is willing to learn math in its entirety just for one or two things.

but trump's biggest supporter is a homo

I'm getting a boner already

Nope. This amount of basic geometry would only take a normal person a week to learn. The fact that you're being so adamant and stubborn about this shows how much of a brainlet you are.

your attitude isn't very conducive to learning or production, maybe you should consider a different career.

vec3.ca/gjk/implementation/

he's fucking great at explaining it you fucking retard and he's not a math/science guy he's a programmer. what is it exactly that you're struggling with?

What's the best resources for starting out in C++ when you already know the basics of programming? (did some java and I know python)

I'm looking for something like "the C programming language" with all the bullshit left out that you'd already know from knowing programming basics and just an introduction to the language. Shouldn't be more than 300-400 pages long.

I disagree with your assessment.

Maybe the part where he spent ten fucking minutes explaining shit and then went "so yeah that's retarded don't do that".

if you don't know these basic things like vectors and dot products and refuse to learn them you should just kill yourself, stop being such a smug entitled prick

>I disagree with your assessment.
Literally doesn't matter if you disagree with facts.

schulz is so based.
it's a bit laughable that farage wants to get rid of the EU but still enjoy all the trade benefits of the EU (even if he claims that it'd hurt the EU more - he still wants to keep those deals for the UK's sake, not for the EU's sake, and if he isn't stupid then he knows that hurting the EU means hurting the UK as well, even without being in the EU).

A[I]←1+I←(0⍷A)/⍳⍴A←('FizzBuzz' 'Fizz’ 'Buzz' 0)[2⊥¨×(⊂3 5)|¨1+⍳100]

if you are this retarded and suck at math and programming this bad you probably shouldn't be trying to roll your own collision detection

you CAN do trade without being a member of the EU you FUCKING RETARD

Back to Sup Forums with you.

I am self taught, clearly there are going to be huge fucking gaps in the things I know.

if you were really self taught you'd be able to teach yourself these really basic math concepts without being such a whiny bitch about it

It sounds like you don't really have a solution so you are just resorting to attacking my character in the hopes that I won't bring it up any more, thus allowing you to save face. I'm not going to do that though.

the solution is to either:
>learn the prerequisites
>give up

fucking mong

You're not "self-taught". You're "monkey-see monkey-do".
The solution is to actually learn the concepts from scratch you stupid idiot.

There's not need to get angry just because you can't explain it properly. Not everyone can be Carl Sagan.

I'm not the same dude but you really need to deal with the fact that being good at maths is essential to being good at programming. If you can't be bothered then just rip someone else's code off github and enjoy your frankenstein code.

he's explaining it fucking properly, you're the one who can't grasp it or ask questions properly

was reading "Modern C" by Jens Gustedt, and in one part he says "any true C programmer can implement any library function on their own" or something like that, and then as an exercise tells the reader to implement strtod (takes a C string, converts to a double value).

I consider myself an alright C programmer, I've been doing it for years on and off through school, and I have no clue how to implement this completely and now I feel like a damn noob.

>hurr all concepts can be reduced to bite-sized chunks of primitive information
>j-just watch Cosmos
>it's your fault that I'm a fucking retard!
This is how you sound like right now.

Pretty sure it just blows your 480 and MOBO to smithereens.

>Not everyone can be Carl Sagan.
you think carl sagan just watched a youtube video and then instantly knew everything? you don't think he put in the effort to actually learn things?

He's not explaining it properly though. He's fuddling around and going round in circles.

All information can be reduced to bite size chunks though. That is what Mathematics was founded on.

What does that have to do with his ability to explain things in simple terms?

you're just being a whiny bitch. what you are doing is not solving anything.

I cant even do Java in codeacademy.

I need to start really basic. Anyone got any advice? I cant understand this shit, im a creative writing major.

>All information can be reduced to bite size chunks though. That is what Mathematics was founded on.
It isn't. You're seriously clinically retarded if you think this.

>codeacademy
nice meme

docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

and the daniel lang book

Sure it is. Open dialogue is how we move forward as a species.

I disagree with your opinion.

Here's an atoi I wrote once, it's the same principle.
This is trivial as fuck, you're just stupid.
int atoi(const char *nptr)
{
size_t len = strlen(nptr);
int total = 0;
int j = 0;
int i;
for (i = len - 1; i >= 0; i--)
{
if (nptr[i] >= '0' && nptr[i]

Do HTML5

>I disagree with your opinion.
It literally does not matter that you disagree with facts.

of course you can, but while in the EU you're enjoying all of these benefits simply by being in the EU, in return countries give part of their national sovereignity to a larger parlamentary democracy.
leaving the EU and wanting to keep the benefits means taking the benefits without giving national sovereignity to the EU (which, on the positive side, may even be required to properly establish said benefits).
the EU has clearly caused a lot of bullshit over the years, but i don't think we'd be better off if every country was completly independent again (why stop at the EU? why not get rid of the NATO, the OECD, the UN? why not change back to city states?).
the advantage is better communication at the organization level and arguably also better control, the disadvantage is obviously the entire thing becoming a lot more complex and harder to manage, more interdependencies resulting in quicker spread of global problems and also less control at a local level.

if that youtube video explained everything you'd need to know then it'd be way too long and boring for its intended target audience.

>hurr i can't understand poo poo head's explanation
nice dialogue tard

his explanation is perfectly fine. you're just refusing to learn really simple and basic math. and you have to realize that GJK isn't the simplest thing in the world, maybe you're just not cut out to do things like that, stupid kid.

Efficient register allocation is NP-hard, user.

What we really need is city-states and for the human population to be nuked back to 500,000 people.

An opinion isn't a fact silly. Are you in elementary school? That is one of the first things you learn.

It wouldn't if he explained it properly and in a structured format..

>If I green meemee text and reduce his comments to baby babble that will kill his credibility and I will win the internet argument!

i would literally punch you in the face if you were in front of me.

if we nuked the population back to 500,000 people and our technology back to the dark ages then i'd agree with you, city states would be a lot more appropriate at that level than any large state or international organization, simply because there'd be no need to discuss and solve international problems, because there are none.

And I would let you, because that is not how I, as a civilised human being resolve things.

Reading this reply chain reminds me that there are stupid people in the world and that makes me feel very much better about myself.

Thanks user, enjoy learning how to program without learning how to do maths.

Sounds like it might be too much for you. Try something much easier, like Javascript or Ruby on Rails. I sense a web developer in the making.

>An opinion isn't a fact silly
It wasn't an opinion though. I'm a grad student in TQFT and I've been through more mathematical training than every single one of your ancestors combined. Feel free to ask me anything about Top and geometric quantization.
Seeing as how you being a fucking complete retard is the consensus in this thread I'd say that even if it were an opinion you disagreeing with it still wouldn't matter.

the video has 22 likes, 1 dislike on youtube. it has been widely praised and recommended in the relevant communities. i have watched the entire thing and i had no problem with understanding it.

maybe you should just sleep on it and give it another try later on. you still haven't even pointed out which specific part you're stuck on, so you seem to be the one who sucks at explaining things.

500,000 people and current technology level would be paradise no?

>assuming moderately intact infrastructure
>assuming good distribution of skilled people saved

And yet you can't explain this apparently high school level algorithm in simple terms. Nice degree.

I have been thus far. I have also done quite a lot without going incredibly in depth because as I stated, there are occasionally people that know how to explain things.

>22 whole likes
Score.

KILL YOURSELF I HOPE YOU GET CANCER AND DIE A SLOW PAINFUL DEATH WHILE YOU HAVE A JUNKIE NURSE THAT STEALS ALL YOUR PAIN MEDS

holy shit good spot user,

it's not everyday you get to identify and mock those random retards who dislike good content on youtube