They're already going to throw a party to announce the GTX 1060

pretty much saying they have AMD beat

There is a /gcg/.
Please go there.

No.

Kyle tried to warn the AMDrones.

>Implying you can warn cultists
AMDrones are apple tier but poor.

This sounds good 1060 will be best entry level card from nvidia that is still better than latest amd tech it is fucking funny

Fuck AMD

>Our fucking customers... they, oh man, they actually bought it.
>FOUNDER'S EDITION.
>I don't even know how baked Jen was when he thought of that but goddamn.
>Premium cost, FOR GARBAGE. Trash they wouldn't even consider under it's true name.
>Huh, AMD did something? Pfft. Who gives a shit? I could shit on a plate and our customers would eat it up if it had an edgy shroud.

Seems par for the course for all AMD launches thus far.

Apple products just aren't sold with low-end hardware. ROG and muh gaming is the only actual price gouging for nothing in tech.

Nvidia btfo

Please move all graphics card related discussions to the gcg, thanks!
Saged to avoid any confusion.

1070 and 1080 are actually really good cards though and significant improvements over last gen, unlike the 480 which is probably the worst GPU release I can remember

Fuck off bitch

>1070 and 1080 are actually really good cards
They're really good GPUs, the FE cards are garbage and there's no point trying to say otherwise. It was a scam, plain and simple. The sad thing isn't that they tried, but that it worked.
>480 which is probably the worst GPU release I can remember
It's funny because the worst GPU release I can remember was also the 480... the one that literally caught on fire during OC benchmarking. This is pretty bad though.

They are good cards, but the founder's editions are a fucking scam

Should I go nVidia or AMD for my new build?

Oh yeah, agreed.

do you want to pay a lot of money for something that isn't really worth it?

or pay a little for something that isn't really as good?

>Apple products just aren't sold with low-end hardware.
Then why are they putting AMD dedicated GPUs in the Macbook Pro?
ahahahahhaha #rekt

Always go for nVidia if your budget allows.

Nvidia shills out in full force. Wow me with the 1060. Otherwise snagging a 980 with a good cooler for $280 or less is my only nvidia bang for buck. Especially considering the stagnation.

Or if the 10xx series ever drops to its msrp, which was an obvious PR move what with the suc-founders addition. Leaving the blame on the board partners even as chips are under supplied.

If well binned, well cooled, properly powered (fuck you for the poo in loo 6 pin amd) 480s come in at less than reference cost, I'll be all over that.

i just want competition, dammit.

I haven't kept up on this gen but heard the new AMD card was on par with nVidia for half the price

(citation needed)
Also, explain why someone would need muh gaymer graphics on a mac?

The age old question. To fuck myself in the ass now or fuck myself in the ass later.

it performs about as well as a 2 year old nvidia card, if you own something significantly worse than a 970 then buy it

the new AMD card (the 480) is as good if not slightly worse than nvidia's last gen cards, but costs about half the price.

if you plan on playing games in 1080p, the 480 is probably the best choice for someone building a computer as it provides the most performance for the cheapest price.

if you have the money though, purchase one of the new nvidia cards as they are miles ahead of anything AMD has or probably will put out.

lol enjoy your bendgate aluminum, Apple is too cheap for NVidia and polycarbonate, get a Thinkpad.

Running a 7870 atm and only plan on 1080. Saving money works better so I have my decision. Thanks. I probably should have asked in the general... oops

They literally are: twitter.com/PellyNV/status/747805063519731713

>if you own something significantly worse than a 970
>tfw GTX 260 but waiting for GTX 1060 to compare

What's your budget and at what resolution do you play?

For anything

I don't own a mac, and I've never owned an Apple product. I hate Wangblows, but no other OS works for my purposes. There's a difference between putting a bunch of expensive stuff on a computer that people don't need and just overcharging for nothing.

this is exactly what AMDumbs deserve

*1080p
Low budget and 1080p so 480 sounds best, thanks

Kyle must be laughing the hardest. He wrote an angry shitpost about AMD and managed to be completely right about the 480 despite all the leaks and shit pointing in the opposite direction.

The nvidia 970 is a great deal right now if you're aiming for 1080p. I'd go for that.

We all want competition, but AMD is failing to do that

>23 FPS in 1080p GTA V
That last .5GB of VRAM isn't a meme. More and more games will start crossing the 3.5GB threshold and it won't be pretty for 970 owners.

It's not a better price though. It was advertised at $200, yet the cheapest 480 you can buy is actually $350. When the 970 is $250 right now, buying a $350 480 is just dumb.

>why someone would need muh gaymer graphics on a mac?
Believe it or not, Apple actually puts games all over the front of the Mac app store, some of them are AAA games you need an actual GPU to run and not just iOS tier shit.

But I think the real purpose is for professional applications like video editing and CAD and shit.

But he was completely wrong with his shitpost.

Nah, 980 is plummeting in price. And 480 will possibly to probably get better with time whereas maxwell is aging. Nvidia is more cutting edge, but they aren't as kind to their old cards. I'm still getting driver improvements on my POS 7850 2gb with 45% OC I bought in 2012.

It runs hot and does not have the advertised power efficiency. Or even come close to the advertised power efficiency. The shit about wanting to break off the Radeon group from AMD remains to be seen, but he was right about the 480.

It does have the advertised power efficiency. They always said it would be better than the 300 series

"AMD has a problem on its hands, as both these products have come up significantly short of where these were supposed to land. But that is OK for AMD, it will simply send Chris Hook out to fall on the sword and tell a story of that was the plan all along....to produce brand new parts much slower than its last high end GPUs. "

Correct.

" In the simplest terms AMD has created a product that runs hotter and slower than its competition's new architecture by a potentially significant margin."

Correct.

"Now, I am sure AMD will take every step possible to mitigate this gap but the simple reality of the situation as it stands today is that AMD has a loser on its hands and are going to have to pull every trick in the book to spit-shine the turds, and the fact of the matter is pricing is how you do that."

So spot on this man might actually be a prophet. The only way the 480 is competing is on price.

Damn, worth the 8gb 480? Definitely isn't as kindly priced considering the 390 was 8gb.

>AMD didn't release a flagship card first how dare they

basically his argument

>generals
Kill yourself

I don't understand whats wrong with people. They are acting like the 480 is AMDs top tier card, and conparing it to the 1070 and 1080, and even the 970, but its not meant to compete with them. When the 970 came out it was a higher tier than what the 480 is now, and the fact that its brand new, with an msrp att 199 and peeforming as good as a card that was priced at 350 when it came out. AMD started with its lower tier cards because nvidia ignored that portion of the market, on top of they're founders edition bullshit, and fucked up pricing. So they take the lower end market first, then release their upper tier cards, and get the people who said "duck nvidia" cause they didn't wamt to spend almost 1000 on a 1080.

Nigger, where have you been. I don't want reference, but Best Buy had the 8fb for $200 for a few hours.

Which was an extremely inefficient architecture. Polaris caught up to Maxwell, while even the 1070, a high end card, has equivalent power consumption to the 480, a low/mid range card. That's not very efficient considering the die shrink.

It's a fucking joke for midrange card to run hotter than the sun on 14nm.

It's not a matter of how much VRAM you have available, the problem with the super slow .5GB the 970 has is that once you start using it your performance is going to be bottlenecked by it until you stop using it. I don't think the 480 will make use of more than 4GB in anything but games with absurd amounts of tessellation, typically Nvidia sponsored games.

AMD heats up more because of the compute architecture built in since the 7000 series or something. Its why they're so good at mining bitcoins and DX12/Vulkan

Nvidia ditched most of that stuff and got a more efficient card, at a price. Nvidia cards with compute features similar to AMD heat up and use just as much energy.

If Zen is shit, that is the thing that would *actually* lead to AMD being finished and bankrupt. I don't get how AMD keeps chugging along with so little revenue right now.

>gtx 260
I don't get how people stick with hardware this long. I built my first pc 9 months ago and I'm already getting the itch to make another system.

very little overhead compared to other companies.

5% over a 980ti and losing to a 980ti isn't significantly better.

polaris... i'm on a 280x, and for the stock unit, i cant justify the upgrade in my system even though i could use the 8gb of ram version (system eats 1gb of a 3gb card and only gives me 2gb to use in a game, causing most of my issues)

once an aftermarket with an 8 pin comes out, that may be something i look into but not stock.

Not the same guy but I don't play modern games and it gets the job done for daily tasks.

>I built my first pc 9 months ago
You must be over 18 to post here.

>I don't get how people stick with hardware this long. I built my first pc 9 months ago and I'm already getting the itch to make another system.
modern hardware lasts for god damn ever,
we hit a wall graphically, where the only way to make games look better is introduce pathtracer, or introduce heavy physics based elements, and both are either to process intensive to do, and one is weighed down by a black box and vender specific.

faking some lighting effects is doable, but not all can be faked.

I don't gayme much on PC right now but since 60FPS 1080p is shaping up to be quite cheap this time around I decided I'd hop back on board.

Uhh what.

The 1070 is 12% better than the 980 Ti and the 1080 is a whopping 33% better.

That's what you call real progress.

Now compare that to the 480 which cannot even beat their last gen midrange 390.

see, when you want to compare amd to nvidia, every one who likes nvidia screams "But my oc is so much higher, you cant compare stock" but when you compare oc nvidia to oc nvidia, "oh no you have to compare stock"

its shit like this that i don't like, you get to pick one or the other, not both.

>you have to start young
I just built my first PC and I'm 21.

The 480 is also a magnitude cheaper than all of them. It's bar none the best card in the price range.

This keeps getting skipped over in the pursuit of muh numbers.

>12% better
>real progress

You are sarcastic, right? 12% more is an incremental upgrade, not progress.

he's too young to remember when we actually made progress on new processes and gpu generations

Progress is at least 50% imprivement over last gen. also 100% improvement was something normal.

Really? Then what do you call it when AMD can't even beat their last gen mid range card.

You call it a disaster

>gimpworks
youtu.be/2IcRF201cEc?t=17m

Please move all graphics discussions to /gcg/, thanks!
Saged to avoid confusion.

kill yourself

>yet the cheapest 480 you can buy is actually $350
bullshit, I can get them in Australia for cheaper than that with our stupid taxes and exchange rate.

>When the 970 is $250 right now,
show me, I don't believe you.

>bullshit, I can get them in Australia for cheaper than that with our stupid taxes and exchange rate.

No, you literally can't. Try to buy one right now, I dare you.

Yeah, they must be laughing. The two cards they released are out of stock and the 480 is despite all shitposting is selling amazingly according to early reports.

Try asking gcg.

Many $250 and less 970s, brand new: pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=186&sort=a8&page=1

see here

The 480 is also out of stock

Are you blind? I'd like to see you try to buy something that says OUT OF STOCK next to it.

so your argument is that they aren't that price because they are out of stock?

grasping at straws user.

If you can't buy it for that price, then of course it's not that price.

Just like you will never see an actual 1070 for $380, you will never see an actual 480 for $200.

On the other hand you can add a brand new 970 to your shopping cart at this very moment for less than $250

12% more for half the price at release.

>nVidia claims 1080 is fastest selling card ever
>always sold out
>AMD has 25x as many 480 cards in stores compared to the 1080
>480s sell out on launch day

So, by nVidia's admission, the 480 is selling about 25x as good as the "fastest" selling card.

>The only way the 480 is competing is on price.

970+ performance for 100 watts less

mod shilling this hard for a hotpocket "job?"

>listen to his accent for 2 seconds
>close window

>Many $250 and less 970s

>with mail in rebate

nobody really talked about the rx 480 today.

Damn, this dude was on point

Yeah i'm sure their laughing. Was in line with about 100 other people for a card at a micro center this morning. They had hundreds and sold out in about 30 minutes. Plenty of people in line talking about jumping ship. It's my first AMD card and it had what I wanted for the right price.

Had a 560 ti, 9600 GT and 7800 prior to that.

Sadly the power usage is only 35W better at max and at idle it actually uses even more than a 970.