Game engines are technology

Game engines are technology.

Is there anything this setting does other than killing your framerate by half? I am confused as to what this does and why this setting is here. In terms of visual difference, I see none.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_(computing)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this board is for maki and for disparaging indian people and for discussing gpu manufacturers

Holy dubs combo

see this thread for what I meant by that:

Fucking witnessed.

Isn't the page size just the size of the cache in memory? Maybe I'm misreading that setting completely, but it would seem like something you should tune based on the amount of VRAM you have and nothing else.

I would like to see more development for the Serious Engine for GNU/Linux. I'd love to play the old Serious Sam games.

It's clearly the one on the top. You need new glasses or a new monitor.

I wish they opened up the source, it's a really impressive engine.

They have already freed the old Serious Engine. It's on github and under GPLv2

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of the serious engine ITT.

My jaw dropped when I saw they had an option to use lanczos interpolation when rendering at a lower resolution.

They were also the first people to support vulkan, in any game, ever.

I can't wait for a stable port of it for GNU/Linux. I played Serious Sam 3 on Windows once and was blown away. It really is awesome. And I hear that even the first engine was fucking incredible for it's time.

I'm all Linux all the time now and I love running old games on free engines.

holy shit

Really do I now?

Because the bottom one is ultra.

bottom is slightly less jaggy

O-Obviously!
I was just testing you. You passed.

here are 2 more, see file name

that setting shouldn't change the visual quality of the textures. it just changes how the textures are cached to optimize cache hits and misses.

ah. can you explain "textures are cached to optimize cache hits and misses"?

As for the setting, why is it there? shouldnt the game be able to dynamically manage this setting?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache_(computing)

he doesn't have a fucking clue what it means, just parroting marketing terms he heard before

Virtual Texturing is that tech based god Carmack introduced where you apply one massive texture to a gameworld rather than a bunch of smaller repeated ones. So the page size must be how much of those massive textures are stored in RAM. If you have insufficient RAM for the highest setting, you're going to get a performance decrease as the game needs your VRAM to do other things as well.

t. person who knows nothing about actual graphics programming

Oops, where I say RAM, I mean VRAM.