Overclocking thread

the fuck are you overclocking?

and i wanted to ask if its fine to keep my i7-920 oc'd to 3.5ghz (stock voltage & stock temps were kept)

>the fuck are you overclocking
Fx6300 at 4.8ghz on air. Based 212 evo does a solid job, still don't break past 54°C under load.

>stock V+T kept
You mean before any oc right? Hard to say if its good to keep that oc unless you post voltages m80

my mobo is an overclocker's rampage mobo. it has the option to keep stock voltages to protect components

if youre using a easy built in OC its probably just clocking one or MAYBE two cores higher and not a overclock across all cores. Bumping your voltage up a few notches isnt going to do anything negative to your processor. Might as well do it right.

For some reason, my board is locking down my multiplier.

I can still use the on-board overclocking to hit 4.6, but it's at like 1.37 on a 2500k and hits 80C in prime in like 5 minutes on a 212 EVO. Even I know that you can do 4.5/4.5 with 1.31 on SB.

But when I disable that and try to adjust it myself, it just defaults back.

So I guess I have a hot running 2500k at 4.6.

>i5 4670k to 4.0ghz using a NH-C14 from Noctua. I needed a low profile cooler but I wanted it beefy.

Idle temps are about 30C and rarely does it go over 50C.

During the summer my space can get pretty hot so it can be a bit higher.

no. i checked on speccy. all cores are at 3.5 under load. about 3ghz idle

turbo enabled

What are your voltages? I think my shitty fx 6300 lost the silicon lottery big time. I can only get it stable on 1.375 V at 4.3 with a hyper T4. Load temps are at 60-65°

OH MY GOD
DELETE THIS
3 4

I've put it at 1.4625V and medium load line correction to compensate for V drops.
Might want to look at LLC because I couldn't get past 4.6ghz without changing its settings, otherwise my PC crashed under load.
>60-65°
Wew, what are idle temps like then? The voltage isn't even that high, I'd consider reapplying paste and checking fans cos its suspish.

The base clock is 2.66ghz on the 920, your oc is 3ghz. More than that and the voltage must change.
The fact that it idles at 3 and hits 3.5 at load while turbo is enabled tells me it must be shutting down cores, otherwise it would always be 3.5ghz. Turbo shuts down cores to oc on demand, if its enabled it /will/ shut down cores. Maybe all hit 3.5, but I doubt they do it simultaneously.

i own rampage extreme 2. they all hit 3.5ghz. I checked speccy while Doom 4 is ruinning. regards volatge....i dont know if they r changin BUT what i know is that there is an option that specifically says that if enabled the voltages wont change. Its enabled....

my question is ... should i keep it OC'd since i practically got only 2C more on load

as far as i know voltage aint increasin

Have a quick look on cpu-z, it tells you core voltage if you wanna know.

If its cool and stable, I'd keep it. Voltage is what kills a cpu, so if it really isn't changing then you're golden.

anyone successfully oc'd x5460 on asus p5k.. cannot get it stable and any Ghz except stock..

safe max voltage for an i7-920?

if my high end overclocking mobo says it will not increase voltage....i guess i shouldnt see crazy voltages

Currently running an i5-6600k @ 4.5ghz at 1.320 volts. Gonna push it further when my new case comesin and I can set up my h100i.

>going past 4.5

You get almost nothing. With a 4.5 6600k, your frame times should already be perfect on the CPU side.

I'm in the process of overclocking my i7 6700k. Currently two hours into an x265 test for my desired overclock so I think I may have done it and have it stable.

4.7Ghz
SpeedStep/C states/HyperThreading enabled
Adaptive Vcore (-0.055 V offset) with LLC high

I'm getting a 1.344 vcore reading under load which is just below where my max is, and all the c state stuff is working nicely so I'm only pulling ~0.2 V at complete idle.

Temp is 28 idle, 75-76 under full load.

its stupid to oc a high end i7. for what fuckin point. even oc'ing my i7-920 shows very little gain for gaming

Some of us do more than gaymin, faggot.

Overclocking an R9 390 in a mini-itx case...

Only a minor housefire atm

keep this thread alive for me tomorrow!

hehhehe

Haven't overclocked before but I have a 4690k with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler

Stock is 3.5Ghz, would overclocking have any performance increases in gaming?

Is there any safe 24/7 overclocks I should aim for? What voltage would be considered safe?

OC'd my i7-6700k to 4.6ghz the other day, not a huge OC by any means, it's cooled by the mammoth Noctua NH-D14

Currently running a 4790k at 4.7GHz, voltage at 1.280. Idle has it in the mid 30s, stress testing pushes it up to the mid 60s. Think those levels are acceptable?

meme temps

>google it

I've got a sapphire 280 and it does admirably. Going by memory cos not at PC anymore but afaik:
Stock->oc
core clock 940->1050mhz
Memory 1250->1500mhz
Temps hit 65°C max with small changes to the fan curve (wouldn't go above 40% rpm lol).
Not bad temps all considering.

AMD can't overclock for shit, had to return this pos CPU since I hate AMD, even though it was a review sample

My i7-920 I lent to my roommate that's running in the other room has been running at 3.94 GHz @ 1.285 volts for the past several years. No problems.

I'm currently running an i7-4770k @ 4.4 GHz. Not a great OC, but sometimes you lose the silicon lottery.

I was trying to overclock my 1333 Mhz ram to 1600, I got it to boot, but it wasn't stable and prime95 would crash. 1400Mhz is what im running until I play more with the timing :(

You guys should try your luck with RAM OC, chances are you can get atleast 1-2 steppings above your current rated speed.