Alright so I'm making a new build soon and I am probably going for the RX 480...

Alright so I'm making a new build soon and I am probably going for the RX 480. But will the 970 be around the same price in a few weeks time? Which will be better buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2IcRF201cEc?t=16m17s
tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-20.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The 970. Similar performance, similar power consumption, superior NVidia-exclusive features and functional drivers.

Also it wont fry your motherboard.

rx 480 gets better with age:
-amd sucks at early drivers, usually improves 20% with time
-new architecture magnifies this effect
-power issues vanish with non-reference models
-cooling issues same
-More and more games are gonna use DX12
-More VRAM

Since today the 480 is equal/marginally better and cheaper I don't think there will ever be any point in the 970.

Nvidia gimps their old cards
The 480 will only get better with driver updates

Nvidia cards tend to drop up to 10% performance long-term, but AMD cards do not have this problem. Additionally, the 480 isn't nearly as optimized as previous cards yet.
That being said, go with whatever, mate. It doesn't matter that much.

>uses 100w more
>worse overall performance
>will get much worse with age
>Supporting shitty business practices

>uses 150w, 110w average
>OC on reference is not reccomended
>better performance than 970 (some reviews used OC'd 970s that are still above 300$ against the 480, still lost in some benches)
>AIB partner-cards will be OC-able up to 1500mhz or higher, getting around 980 Ti range

Summation: Don't waste your money on a 970, and wait for a non-reference 480 (2 weeks). Enjoy between 980 and 980 Ti performance for 250$

>computer hardware gets better with age

Not familiar with this meme, does it also get better with age?

480 is nowhere close to a 980ti you daft twat. But 8gb vram vrs 3.5+5 is obvious.

youtu.be/2IcRF201cEc?t=16m17s

Though once a meme gets out, it's all downhill from there

>3 . 5
>.
>5

It'd be worth getting the 4gb 480 over the 970 so it's still usable after 12 months. Also, drivers will improve performance a touch, and you can practically guarantee third parties will improve on the reference design.

I would wait for the 1060 to be announced next week and see how long it's going to be before it gets sampled. In the meantime, I would wait for the RX480 AIBs because the reference card has the worrying PCI-E wattage overdraw and an AIB with an additional power connector will fix that.

>AIB partner-cards will be OC-able up to 1500mhz or higher, getting around 980 Ti range

This is why people are disappointed with the 480. Over-hyped bullshit based on figures pulled from the air.

AIB partners always improve on reference, better coolers, overclock better, custom cards can improve performance by a decent chunk. But don't start saying they'll be like 980tis, because they won't. They'll be noticeably better than 970s though. Nobody knows by how much until they're released and benched. Wait for the benches.

We have absolute proof of a 480 scoring a 9.7 on steam VR.

That's right around 980 Ti level

In VR. VR perf =/= normal perf. Also no one who wastes their money on a decent VR headset will buy a 480 or even two.

they're capped by shitty headsets retard

Replying to my own post
>VR perf =/= normal perf
By this I meant comparing old and new gen cards. VR has come a long way in the last two years, so it might match a 980ti in VR, but not in anything else.

Do you want to spend you're money on old or new?

Will non reference be more expensive?

the rx 480 is literally less than gtx 660 performance

shitty poo in loo Indian curry-nigger dothead card

Not even an issue. 750 ti peaked at ~140 watts and regularly hit 125 watts solely powered by the pci-e slot.

tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-20.html

My over clocked 7850 beats a 660, what the fuck are you smoking?

shut the FUCK up Poojeet you dirty smelly curry-eating diarrhea-looking cow-worshiping Delhi nigger.

New, if you have your PC fireproofed.

>2016
>being racist

AMD because better Open Source drivers and works on FREEBSD

>being a subhuman shitskin
>being an Indian
>not being able to fucking poo in the loo

>>>/gaschamber/

>not waiting 6 days for 1060 specs

Looks like all the nvidiots are so triggered they're resorting to nonsensical arguments.

Hey Poovinder, how does it feel knowing you micro-dicked shitskinned turdlets are despised the world over?

I'm white bigot, people like you are why I have to apologize for being white

Indians are NOT white, you turdskinned subhuman peasant

It's hard to tell but there is some evidence that Nvidia stop improving their cards overtime while AMD does.

Also, several videos which show you can just replace a couple of resistors on NVIDIA cards to "trick" it into thinking it's a better card and get the same performance. Just bad business practice all around.

this proves the other user's point correct.

A 480 only has to clock to 1400mhz on the core and 2100mhz on the memory to land between a GTX 980 and 980Ti. Given that the cards reviewers have right now have gimped power delivery systems, I think we can reasonably expect a fair number of 480s to be able to maintain clocks like that. That's to make no mention of chips that clock to 1500mhz and 2250mhz on the memory.

Now, I'm not saying the 480 is suddenly amazing again, but I think current results are inconclusive is all. I'm very curious about how much the fucked up power delivery is holding the card back.

>Not being a racist
>2016

Cuck

lol like they fucking care if you apologize or not

what a faggot

what accent is this?
irish?
scottish?
i'm not a native english speaker, i'd appreciate if someone could enlighten me.

AMD should've just let 470 be their >muh efficient card and let 480 be the >gamers choise.
480 should've come with 8pin, higher clock and better cooler.

I wouldn't mind paying it for that because based on the OC bench I've seen so far, 480 have amazing OC scaling.

>overclocking the memory to 2200Mhz (15%) alone gives it 11% perf boost

>What is a 490

There isn't going to be a 490. The 480 is full Polaris 10. This is it until Vega.

Buying a 970 right now is moronic. Wait for 1060 or buy some AMD garbage.

Not to mention Nvidia has drawn more power over pci lanes than is in the spec for the previous two generations and no one cared. The 960 and the 750 ti both drew something like 100W through pci lanes. Even then, it's not a big deal for two reasons:

Unless you have a $20 motherboard with only single or dual power phases, it won't fry your board.

AMD says it's a driver issue and is working on a fix. nvidia releases gimped drivers as well. Reviews for the 1080/1070 were conducted using drivers with certain intensive features disabled to give them the appearance of higher framerates.

Why are Nvidia fanatics so mad about RX480?

This is the card that I will probably upgrade from my GTX580. Why?

Because AMD cards get far better with time (Like the Nitro R9 270X of my friend), and because the partners will create a far better and stable RX480 with more power, better voltage control and far better overclocking.

I know for a fact that this card will eventually reach Fury X performance level for a mere 250 euros. For a person like me, that doesn't give two shits at anything above 1080p this card is everything I could ask for.

>Nitro R9 270X
That doesn't exist.

480 is more future proof, might be worth waiting for a 480X or 490 tho.

>apologize for being white

I assumed he meant sapphire.

480 is fail /thread.

>considering the 970 ever

My bad. My friend bought the Nitro R9 390X a few months ago. It's good that I can match the performance of his card which he bought for 600 euros with like 250-260 euros.

480, you'll be regretting getting a card with only 3.5gb of vram next year. Also AMD cards typically imrprove with age, where as nvidia cards mysteriously get worse with newer drivers.

If you can, wait for a non reference 480, there is a lot of overclocking potential for the card. With custom coolers some people are seeing performance similar to the 390x.

Bump

I'm making a new build right now too.
Personally I plan to get the RX 480 since the 970 has issues with the last .5GB of it's VRAM which can cause tearing and performance drops if you end up using it.
Of course, the best laid plans...

people have been saying the rx 480 is overpriced...