Hi guys, I've heard that the 480 is frying motherboards due to using too much PCIe power. The 960 also did this...

Hi guys, I've heard that the 480 is frying motherboards due to using too much PCIe power. The 960 also did this, spiking up even higher than the 480 to 250W. Could somebody please post pictures of all the motherboards killed by 960s drawing too much power, so that I can troll 480 owners with them? I'm sure there are plenty, since this is a big issue and a massive scandal, but apparently I suck at Google and can't find any.

Thanks!

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/Ae4pJ
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qmlep/rx_480_powergate_problem_has_a_solution/
tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-750-ti-review,3750-20.html
composter.com.ua/documents/PCI_Express_Base_Specification_Revision_3.0.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Come on Nvidia fans, get on it.

its on you OP where is the prof?

Facts don't matter to nvidia or its customers.

should i just destroy that theory once and for all ?
trips decide if i shall post what is actually going on

seriously dude? i'm not even an nvidia shill and from that chart alone i can see that the 960 have much smaller time above 75w

Had a friend just buy a 960, is he fucked?

They're obviously not going to be able to do that because like all electronics that follow the common safety regulations that electronics are required to follow before they can be sold in developed countries, motherboards are designed with tolerances for things like this.

obviously he is 960 is at 380/x level this card is 40% faster

>ha ha ha im gonna troll amd owners haha XD

Maybe, but the average draw over the PCIe bus is about the same meaning that if the 960 hasn't been blowing motherboards, the 480 won't be blowing boards ether.

Three dubs in a row. Damn.

I have a Gigabyte 960 and it causes my system to crash pretty regularly.

I'm certain that it's not causing damage, it's just tripping the surge protection on my motherboard, but it's still pretty annoying.

yeah, people that said this alone would blow motherboards are blowing up smoke, that i agree

The 960 actually gave me a shock so badly that I am now dr. doom. Thanks nvidia! You really are the way it's meant to be played!

The top graphs show 960 averaging around 55, while rx480 is on 80 watts.
Or am I not reading it right? Surely OP wouldn't debunk his sarcastic post with his own image

>the 960 have much smaller time above 75w
According to the second set of charts, it also spikes WAY above what the 480 does. If spiking at 150 watts is bad, what then is spiking at ~250? Also, you speaky the English very goodly.

i don't know, smoking 5 pack a day for 3 days every 3 month vs a pack a day for 3 years, which person will get cancer first do you think?

samefag destroyer of shilled nvidiots
ok lets all agree that the people that creates the standars for our pc actually fucking knows better than any idiot here or on tom..
second thing we can all agree is that CURRENTLY there is NO WAY to actually directly measure how much power you can draw from the pcie unless you have a modified pcie by your self

now the pdf that showcases the technical specs of pcie 3.0 its like a manual about women almost 600 pages no one will actually read it especially nvidiots
here is a little album (i posted already on ocn)
imgur.com/a/Ae4pJ
as you might all see the specs of the pcie is up to 300 watts but requires a hardware that would cost like x5 times more and a fucking liquid nitrogen loop for it not to go and orbit the moon...
now as you can see on the tech specs the guys NEVER actually give the pcie anything more than 75 watts to work with ok? can we all agree here? yes? good...
now 480 is operating at 80 watts on the pcie (since this the maximum before the mb bios thinks there is a leakage and auto shut down the pc)at any given time the card CANT pass that because no motherboard currently being sold has the capacity to stop harmonics from being fucking around instead the system will just shut down
cont

Stop pretending that you can somehow read an exact average from that chart because the graph spends so much time above the 75W line that it's clear the 960 averages at more than 75W over the PCIe bus.

ITT: N/v/idiots doing damage control.

what tom did was to calculate the draw from the 6pin along with 75 watt and have a number that physically didnt make any sense (the 300 watt)
literally he pulled more power on the 6pin than on the pcie
which by definition cant be right
i could go all technicall on your asses about how this was a totally shilled review a tom from 2012 that could make kyle blush but i wont
whoever thinks a card can pull a maximum 192 as we all saw from the french site from pcie and a 6 pin is delusional end of story this cant happen on any plane of existence that is using Ohm's law

Seeing how the 960 also averages over 75W over the PCIe bus a more apt comparison would be one guy smoking 2 packs a day versus one guy smoking 1 pack a day with constant spikes between 2 and 4 packs in a single day.

wait, are we seeing the same charts here? From first pic of the 960 charts, the dotted yellow line is at less than 60, and below that you can see, in english it says average, so maybe explain where you got the idea that 960 spends its time averaging above 75?

Great point. How will they defend this?

Ok the issue has been resolved.
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qmlep/rx_480_powergate_problem_has_a_solution/

tl;dr the whole 75w per pcie lane is rubbish. It is only spec'd that when the motherboard boots the pcie lane is not allowed to draw more than 75w immediately. One slot can support more than 300w depending on the manufacturer.

If you didn't buy a chinese noname motherboard you are fine. Nothing will fry. Nvidiots go back2bed pls.

answer: they can't, and they don't really need to, as it's been caught early and unless the AIBs are idiots, this problem's been fixed already, plus motherboards are resilient. I'm just speechless over how dumb this whole comparison with 960 is, with the OP btfo-ing himself with his pic

time doesn't fucking matter.
it's indifferent that your boyfriend got to shove his big black dick in your ass only twice before he came. Either way, your ass got blasted real hard.

ehh, not really a good comparison as the time you spent in someone else's ass correlates directly to how fast you cum. From your logic, the 480 will cum on your ass sooner and harder than the 960 will

bad analogy.
the power surge is worse than sustained overdraw.

A power surge would be a head shot. An overdraw would be a couple of shots all on non vital points. Both can kill, but the first is more certain to do so.

or

They literally disprove what you said in the comments. It shouldn't exceed 75w at all. The only mobos that will be ok are ones which receive a bios update because they can support the extra voltage. 99% of everyone else who is uses some shit tier prebuilt with a $30 mobo or someone upgrading from a 5 year old gpu will have problems with this.

You just show yourself in the foot by providing that link. Enjoy everyone using it against you.

lel, where did you get this fact, the school of butthurt engineer? read on spike vs surge, their difference and which one damage the most, then post back here

All these problems like power draw and 6 pin will be fixed by AIB models right?

A bios update cannot fix this. You need additional supplemental power for the pcie to prevent traces from burning up and killing you board.

Asus has molex power connectors on their flagship $500 boards, Gigabyte has sata connectors on some of their boards.

Or you need to buy an evga power boost.

>because they can support the extra voltage
You know nothing about electricity, your opinion is invalid.

"In my understanding the 75 watt isnt the maximum limit, its just the default value on startup of the motherboard. The motherboard it self sets the maximum allowed watt per slot in the "Slot Capabilities Register" which you can configure up to over 300 watt per slot. In the bits 7 to 14 "Slot Power Limit Value" you can set 250, 275, 300 and above 300 watt. This will be multiplied with bits 15 to 16 "Slot Power Limit Scale" in steps x1 ,x0.1, x0.01 and x0.001. So its up to the motherboard manufacturer and the power management on it how many watt the slot is capable of. The Specifications do define the protocol and not the hardware specs of the PCI-E slot. If a manufacturer uses better parts which can handle higher amps on the contacts and the lines, they can allow the devie in the slot a higher power consumption than 75 watt via these registers. Sadly most people doesnt even read the specifications and judge things they dont understand."

It literally says it in the comments of your reddit page.

>muh voltage
>muh watts

Amd fucked up. Deal with it.

Does that mean the 750 ti was house fire incarnate? It drew 125 watts solely from the slot.

"A standard height x16 add-in card intended for server I/O applications must limit its power dissipation to 25 W. A standard height x16 add-in card intended for graphics applications must, at initial power-up, not exceed 25 W of power dissipation, until configured as a high power device, at which time it must not exceed 75 W of power dissipation. Refer to Chapter 6 of the PCI Express Base Specification, Revision 1.1 for information on the power configuration mechanism."

Nope, it's over for AMD. They won't recover from this.

>300w
>pcie

You do realize pcie power comes from the 24 pin right? The 24 only have 2 active 12v lines, meaning it only supports 150w max.

The lanes aren't designed to draw more than 75w. 90% of graphics cards doesn't even draw more than 10w from the pcie.

960 owner here, this is actually a thing in almost every implementation of the card minus some Gigabyte models, I think.

I ended up with the Windforce model since it doesn't do that shit.

Shill. Reposting for visibility.

125 watts from pcie on the 750 ti.

>62 watts average 750 ti
Vs
>80 watts average 480

Yeah thanks for making yourself look like more of an idiot.

Yet the peaks are more extreme and very frequent. Stop shilling.

I wasn't even the guy who posted that reddit link, I'm just a guy who thinks you're a knuckle dragging mouth breather. The worst bit is, you still have no idea how much of an idiot you are.

>Sup Forums
>cannot read a fucking chart and read the word 'average'

>750
>2016
Still no 200 watts and turning your pc into a small heater snafu.

>amdrone too dumb to understand that consistent overdraw is worse than occasional spikes

most idiotic shilling i havent seen
literally

>+5w continuous is worse than +150w peak
laddies and gentleman, shocker, Sup Forums cant into electrical stuff

>occasional

Stop lying.

guise, look at the averages.
the card spikes to twice the rated specs so fast that you'll hardly get a chance to fry the circuits every 100th milisecond.

> POWER DRAW (1ms)

how thick can you be to not realize that overdraw measured in milli fucking seconds is a normal spike that will be compensated through the psu, while constant one like the 480 is more damaging?

>assblasted amdrone is assblasted

What's new.

>the card spikes to twice the rated specs so fast that you'll hardly get a chance to fry the circuits
Wait what? That isn't how this works. The traces on the motherboard are the least of your concern.

>very frequent
>chart shows a 10 second power draw
>literally spikes for milliseconds

Kys

That's 170 seconds. Here's 10.

>all this goalpost shifting

that has to be nextgen shitpost
tell your handler that your instructions sheets got wrong shit in them and that you are looking like a fool online trying to convey that you know how electricity even works

>possible wear and tear - well within margin for overprovision
vs
>spikes - way above the rated limits

Exactly proving my point. Saved me from posting the graph myself.

Cheers.

Logic doesn't matter to shills. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some serious astroturfing going on from side green.

That dude is undeniably trying to say that simply because the peaks happens so fast they're of no concern.

>what are tolerances

Yea, constant spikes to 140 watts are way better. Motherboard determines the power limit anyway. Stop shilling.

Prepare for trouble...

Which is utter bullshit when they are that frequent.

Go to mechanical turk, you've lost shills.

nvidiot that thinks he has a grasp of ohm law
literally thinking consistent power draw is worse than spiking to the limit power...
consisten aka stable power draw is worse than spiking literally providing harmonics to the system is is somehow better...

we are witnessing a guy that some day he will put his finger on a plug and ask "what is electricity"

You do realize that the 480 spikes to as high as 150w in their testing?

Nice double standards. As expected. Amdrones defending another shit amd product. It performs bad and will kill your motherboards.

Atleast the 970 gimp card had good performance to show. This card is like 30 eur more than a aftermarket 970 and performs worse.

>overdrawn
>compensated

>what is amps?
>why does stuff burn?

>a 100m ohm on the 12v rails to ground for a second
>a 10ohm resistor for on the 12v rails to ground one millisecond
>which one burst first?

ayy

82W maximum average, with the 8% and 9% tolerance.

They are riding the line.

Wait... why does your videocard draw power from your motherboard? Isn't it plugged in directly to your PSU?

See Just because it can, it's still not within the regulations.

being so into damage control that tries to devalue the people that created pcie

the fucking slot CANT GET MORE THAN 80-81WATT because the FUCKING BIOS thinks its a leakage and auto shut down the pc

now you and tom can enjoy shilling it while having zero understanding on how literally anything works..

It refers you to numbers that include tolerances.

>look at this 750 spiking to 140watt
>gets blown the fuck out
>b-but I was lying
>the slot can't get any more than 80w a-anyway

Kys

There's one thing that quite didn't understand yet.
Shouldn't the Motherboards themselves proihibit this kind of overdrawing? Seeing that the voltage regs for the cpu are obsessively fine tuned it doesn't make much sense that they would leave the rest of the power delivery so loosely designed. 10% or so over specs should be ok for overprovisioning I guess, but those spikes shouldn't have been preemptively choked?

Or is it something like: lol who cares about power delivery for fan headers and pci slots?

so judging from this thread we still don't know.

The spec is 5.5A on the 12V rail, and 3A on the 3.3V rail. No wiggle room on current.

The voltages have tolerances. 8% and 9% respectively. Totals up to ~82W.

That said, shame on AMD for using the tolerances to the limit. That's asking for trouble of low and midgrade boards, which are the fucking sector they're targeting.

kek

take a look at the chart the op posted and you pretty much see the same peaks, the main difference being the 480 consistently goes above 75, while the 960 didn't

as a 390x owner i never thought i'd say this but some amd fans seem to really have victim mentality. just admit the 480 is a great performing gpu with weird quirks that will be solved in the AIBs, instead of
>b-but nvidia does this too

one more time
imgur.com/a/Ae4pJ
stop trying to understand something your reality have no grasp on it
literally people like you that are scientific illiterate doesnt have any place on threads like that you are a disgrace trying to devaule everything just so your narrative fits into place

If 750ti/960/950 owners are not having there boards catch fire then the RX 480 isn't going to do shit.

Completely dependent on the motherboard and settings. He's talking about the two specific incidents of 480 over 75w out of 20+ test machines.

>kek
learn to read for once who knows you might actually learn something NEW and stop being the equivalent of an ape that just saw a pc on the rain forest

The 960 consistently goes over 75w, and much higher over, it just averages a lower wattage. The floor is lower, but the ceiling is higher as far as pci-e draw goes.

A lot of 750Ti's have 6-pins on them anyway. Not sure about the 960/950, didn't bother with those.

I don't think people's boards are going to combust with the RX 480 installed, but it may cause issues for those that wish to use the same motherboard for 3 or more years.

We just don't know yet.

See Proceed to end yourself.

seestop evading the shitstorm that is coming to claim your gelatine that you call brain

It refers you to a section with tolerances included. Actual power is controlled by motherboard and/or user adjusted settings. Not the gpu. Neck yourself.

oem != aib you dumb fuck

yet another post that made everyone that posted here to lose 10 iq points

may god have mercy on our souls

The aibs will only be better...

Not him, but he's calling out the fact that you have no idea how circuitry and power draw works, which is painfully obvious from the dumbass comments you made

See Still getting blown the fuck out with hard facts

>mfw dropping amdrones like like their fps in tomb raider

There are people ITT right now overriding their Skylake Vcores with 1.6v manual input value while being deeply concerned with the Rx 480 power draw.

i posted the technical specs from the guys that actually made the pcie standar
and yet as an idiot you still trying to justify something else..

>Haven't seen a single image of a burnt up board from the 480
wew lads.

The shilling is reaching a head. It's actually made me more excited for the non reference 480.

>mfw nvidia wants to enter the average priced gpu range right now with their production issues

Their afraid.

This is a quote from the same spreadsheet you inbred retard. How have you not realised it yet.

Did you actually follow through to the referenced section?

you retard that states the maximum allowed on a pcie itself not the actual limit they actually have in PLACE
moron

>maximum allowed
>limit

Yeah so my card can hit 155mph, there's still a road speed limit.

End this once and for all.

Amd fucked up. There, we have our conclusion. Everyone can go and watch the football now.