How come computer user interfaces haven't improved at all since 1984?

How come computer user interfaces haven't improved at all since 1984?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/blackbbc/Sweet-OS
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Have you tried buying a newer computer? That one is a bit outdated. Congrats on getting it online, tho.

Theres literally nothing we can do to improve them with our current hardware

How come wheels haven't been improved since 2000 B.C?

they have you moron

This. With triangle wheels you can pick up free kinetic energy with perpetual motion. The current wheel is all about making as much friction as possible to consume more fuel and put stress onto the vehicle for planned obsolescence.

Current wheels are fine. But the tyre is designed to increase fuel consumption. The oil companies are behind it and you can tell because they literally made out of oil (synthetic rubber).

Windows XP got it right.

Still doesn't look that different than OP's picture. It just has a way better aesthetic.

How come humans haven't improved at all?

How come no one wants to fix what isn't broken?

Absolutely revolting.

Because at that point the desktop metaphor had already been conceived and nobody's yet to come up with something better.

>haven't improved
yeah its not like they dont have eye candy graphics and gpu acceleration now

Ever since getting a Mac its clear just how far behind Microshit is at just simply listening to user feedback. It's not just UI, everything is much better organised and more convenient to use. And it's all simple shit, like if you don't want to buy a Mac you could set up your Linux OS of choice to work the exact same way

Microsoft only exists because they force themselves on the industry like a drunken uncle. It would give me no greater pleasure than to see them crash and burn

what about search?

the only new UI thing in osx is dock (which was hated when first came out)

hm?

What was that?

Why can't Apple implement intelligent hide for their dock already, this is the one thing that always pissed me off about OSX, I want to see the dock when I'm on the desktop, but I don't want it taking up space when I maximize a window

Just stop using it altogether. I haven't used the dock in years

I too have that wallpaper. Congrats.

I guess pressing Command+Space and just searching for the program is better but still

Dude, you must be shitting me. There is no dock when full screen. And the dock can auto hide when not full screen. Stop using Starcock.

I guess pressing Command+Space and just searching for the program is better but still

OSX Literally has not Intelli-Hide, you have to do Command+Shift+D to get it out of the way

>being drunk: the post

>How come computer user interfaces have got worse since 1984?
ftfy

Anything beyond a green prompt is faggotry, including the various web browsers used to shitpost on this board.

are you shitposting from lynx?

This isn't improvement. It's natural evolution by caused by better Hardware available.
Besides this it's pretty much the same.

Or just use Launchpad?

If so, he hits 4chink with his shekels. Captcha isn't that easy on text based browsers.

If you'd actually used that OS every day, you'd know the improvements are immense.

No, I'm a giant fucking hypocritical faggot.

*sob*

it never really occured to me to ask before but why is the desktop called the desktop?

>uses mactoddlerOS
>calling someone else a moron

Because it's like the physical desk. You can store and organize files and folders, you can lay open files on the top of the desk and so on.

PC doesn't have this problem. :^)

Have you ever read K&R?

huh, cool!! thanks for that user. learn somethin' new every day! :D

Have you ever poo'd in loo?

Why? Spotlight's vastly superior.

Enjoy your double botnet.

Enjoy your shitty memes

this is brian kernighan's desktop though

Enjoy your MemeOS.

ebin

Fuck off Rajeesh. You aren't getting a bonus for spamming the exact same picture in every thread.

windows: pajeet
osx: rahjeet
linux: 张伟
freebsd was made by literal faggots
openbsd: john

>the PC in 1990 is an AS/400 from 1988
>the PC in 2010 is a Pentium 4/D system from 2005

>the Mac in 1990 is a compact model from 1984-1986
>the Mac in 2010 is the only accurate picture in the entire collage but doesn't even occupy the same market segment

Why are Sup Forumsedditors so fucking dumb?

>looks much better
heh

They have become much more sleek. My friend.

where can I find this?

Gotta say, that was cozy. That and win 3.1.

The old macintosh looks way better though

Try 1991. The jump when it comes to day-to-day use between the original '84 Mac UI and System 7's almost entirely modern interface (or hell, just going from System 6 to System 7) is pretty noticeable.

after that, pretty much everything worked like System 7 (in particular, Windows 95)

Deep web my man.
It's 3gb malware though.

you just set the dock to hide.

When your mouse hits the bottom of the screen, it pops up, just like the "Start Bar" or whatever it's called in windows.

Stop talking about things that you know nothing about.

Lurk moar.

Apple and Microsoft can't fundamentally alter their main paradigms without alienating 90% of their userbase.

GNU/Linux could advance the "Desktop Usability Paradigm" by leaps and bounds, because they're not tied to anything in particular, but they're too obsessed with copying OSX/Windows to do anything new besides spinning cubes. That's all.

>in particular, Windows 95
I used to call bullshit on this but after using 3.1 for a while recently it's pretty apparent that they took a lot of tips from Macintosh and *nix space especially in file management.

But they have

I bet the Jews stopped triangle wheels.

Really, what direction is there to advance? 3D gimmicks? Maybe a return to well-defined, dedicated hardware keys for window management to cut down on window clutter?

>being a literal fucking cuck

ayylmao

desktop thread?

You can only do so much without VR

Why would I use a third party program as a replacement for a perfectly functional first party program? That's fucking retarded.

No

Which is intuitive and makes organizing your temporary files easier

Because they've become worse

more complicated human inputs / outputs would make it better if they were implemented correctly

>applel shit
>functional
ayylmao

This

ebin

>>applel shit
>>functional
>ayylmao
That's why Microsoft and just about all Linux distros copied it - poorly.

Alfred was released before Spotlight ripped it off and Alfred still has more features and better customization. I tried Spotlight instead of Alfred for like a week the last time I reinstalled OS X and I couldn't handle how sluggish and inaccurate Spotlight was.

Summer can't end fast enough

This. Can't wait for mactoddlers to go back to school.

>Alfred was released before Spotlight ripped it off
Alfred was a thing in 2004?
>I couldn't handle how sluggish and inaccurate Spotlight was
I just use it for launching applications and it does that fine. The moment I type a character the most used program that starts with that letter comes up. Again, I don't see why I'd need a third party program for something a first party program has no issues with.

Don't you ever get sick of posting the same stale memes and photos night after night?

Don't you ever get sick of shitting in the same street night after night?

Oh what a surprise, more stale memes

With our correct input devices, there's nothing to improve.

The change of paradigma from console to window based desktop is caused by new input device.
Next step would be a 3d environment, which is pretty fine usable right now with a spacemouse or gesture input.
But the improvement of usability and features is minor, so nobody gives a fuck.

Gnome 3, Unity, KDE, tiling WMs, the shitload of ways you can customize Mate, XFCE, etc.

Can't say nobody's tried, even if most of them suck ass. Even MS tried with Metro, and even with the death grip they have on it, it's failing.

but is the "desktop" the best option for pointing devices?

what would you suggest?

Maybe not. But people are used to it and it's logic is based upon well known things.
Metro was a stupid idea. You can't center a user interface to touchscreen, if your main market is business PCs

OP is right. Nothing has changed.
Basically you've been paying for the same thing again and again for 30 years.
YOU KEKS. Use linux and you wont feel raped.

Looks like tumblrtop

>That's why Microsoft and just about all Linux distros copied it - poorly.

Dear macfag,

you are talking bullshit. MacOS, Windows, GEM, GEOS and nearly every other DE are based on the same principle and the same logic. The logic of files and folders behind this is way older than any GUI. What Xerox (not Apple) did, was just the next step of visualizing this logic.

As i mentioned, they all use the same logic. so they look and feel same in many points. But they are also different in many ways.
In fact there is no noteworthy copy of MacOS out there, because it's not worth to copy.

Yours sincerely,

user

>Metro was a stupid idea. You can't center a user interface to touchscreen, if your main market is business PCs
It was way more stupid than this. They didn't only put the center to touchscreen. They tried to change the whole logic from files and folders to app orientation. This works fine on phones and tablets with limited operational purposes but isn't flexible enough for serious use.

github.com/blackbbc/Sweet-OS
Lmao gtfo with deepweb

What is that tripcode

idk

Stop making me nostalgic

kek I never realized this. It's funny because I always hide Desktop Icons and I don't think I've saved anything to the actual desktop in over a decade.

the funny thing is, you already use your desk as supposed, even if you don't know it. You organize your files in folders and if you don't have them on the desktop, then they are in some kind of a drawer.
If you open a file, it lies on the desktop, so you can see it.
according to this, also a WM is a DE - the logic and the principle stays the same.

Not following the cutting edge research of wheel development are we?

Hint: Squares are the future.