It's over

The US government has started an investigation into Tesla's autopilot after a fatal crash.
This is the first step towards a recall of all Tesla cars

A tractor trailer was crossing a highway. The Tesla car drove under it without braking, and the windshield & upper part of the car crashed onto it at full speed.

Tesla's defense: it's a public beta.
electrek.co/2016/06/30/tesla-autopilot-fata-crash-nhtsa-investigation/
cnbc.com/2016/06/30/us-regulators-investigating-tesla-over-use-of-automated-system-linked-to-fatal-crash.html

Other urls found in this thread:

teslamotors.com/blog/your-autopilot-has-arrived
youtube.com/watch?v=TdBo2GmrKE4
google.pl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tractor
bgr.com/2016/06/30/tesla-autopilot-software-fatal-tractor-crash/
projectq.us/atlanta/three_gay_atlanta_men_killed_in_tragic_car_crash?gid=17507
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_unit
ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Road_freight_vehicle_statistics_-_lorries,_road_tractors_and_trailers
youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>it's a public beta.
/Thread

>someone dies
>I-I-IT'S A BETA

It's that guys fault, if you are piloting a plane and turn autopilot on you still have to pay attention to what is happening and what the system is doing. Driving a car needs more complex software than flying a plane

How many deaths have there been due to cruise control and people misusing it?

Wait, this isn't a graphics card thread. What this doing on Sup Forums?

Remotely disable the auto-pilot feature.

/thread

>HURR DURR ITS AUTOPILOT WHAT COULD GO WRONG

It's basically a fancy form of cruise control, Tesla should/could make that clear, but there are always stupid people.

Also, who crosses a highway in a tractor?

>It's over
Nope, it was the truck's fault. AI is usually not wrong.,

Re edit : the man who died was only a beta

This. Doesn't the software state that you still need to be attentive to traffic conditions while autopilot is engaged?

>Tesla's defense: it's a public beta.
They're done. That's not the kind of thing you 'beta test'.

>some of u guise are alright

that's what he gets for being a hippie

You must not live around any rural areas.

>someone dies
>courts rule the autopilot software maker has no liability
>two years later
>self-driving cars plunge into groups of schoolchildren just to save their driver
>"it's not our software's fault bro"
>ten years later
>unmanned oil tanker grounds off Alaska, spilling two million barrels of oil
>"Not our fault m8 deal with it"
This is a very slippery slope

Happens all the time here in Wisconsin. We even have highway signs saying no tractors. I think someone died maybe 4 years ago because a tractor didn't have his lights on while he crossed at night and someone ran into him.

Farmers can be pretty dumb too.

teslamotors.com/blog/your-autopilot-has-arrived

I don't care anymore, just let it all burn.

Yes, and that is also their defense.

It should be used the same way one would use cruise control, always alert and a foot on the brake

>drove under it
holy fuck, do you know what this means?
it saw the opening under the trailer and went to go under it
it didnt care about the person inside, nor the safety of the car, just going to its destination
S K Y N E T I S S O O N

a tractor-trailer is a big shipping truck you idiots. an 18 wheeler is a type of tractor-trailer

So basically the guy's a fucking moron.

I'm not saying he deserved to die. With few exceptions, nobody really DESERVES to die, and beyond that, who's relative judgement are we using to define such a sentence anyway? I'm getting off on a tangent.

Either way, he did something fucking stupid that he was already advised against doing.

>"I know the garbage disposal said to unplug it before trying to fish anything out of it, but it was my wedding ring, and I didn't think it'd be a big deal to do it once!"

My god, all that wasted oil, someone has to do something before all of that oil gets wasted.

Yes. I'm an idiot. He said who crosses the highway in a tractor. Farmers. Farmers often cross the highway in a tractor.

Fuck you.

>>two years later
>>self-driving cars plunge into groups of schoolchildren just to save their driver
fucking white knight no one gives a fuck. don't cross the street if u are afraid of self driving cars, jeezus

Someone died driving a car in a car accident and some of you are acting like this is a new phenomena. Are normal fatal car accidents just more acceptable to you idiots because human error is at fault and not a program?

It doesn't matter if people die because of Tesla's autopilot, it only matters if you are statistically more likely to die using autopilot than not. This should be obvious to the people on Sup Forums of all places.

A tractor is a truck.

GUISE I FOUND DEH VIDEO!!
youtube.com/watch?v=TdBo2GmrKE4

When is self-driving children?

google.pl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tractor

Now shut up

>calling a truck a tractor
Murricans.

>it only matters if you are statistically more likely to die using autopilot than not.
Are you? Is this one case statistical proof of that?

The US government has started an investigation into Henry Ford's automobile company after a fatal crash.
This is the first step towards a recall of all Ford's automatic carriages.

A large carriage was galloping on a highway. The Ford automobile drove into it without braking, and the passenger was thrown out of his seat and into some nearby rocks.

Ford's defense: it's a public beta.

>Someone died driving a car in a car accident
Except he wasn't driving a car.
Tesla's software was driving the car.

I don't think the public has access to those numbers right now, but I recall there being a release of Google's California test numbers that looked kind of bad. That said, it's not surprising that Google's numbers would be bad in the beginning, but that's talking about accidents and not fatalities of course. This might be the first fatality in fact, but I don't know for sure.

We'll have to see how the statistics play out over time. It really seems like they should play in the self-driving vehicles favor, but obviously we can't know that.

Except Tesla's software isn't meant to drive a car, it's meant to help someone drive a car. The driver made no attempt to stop the car, and autopilot apparently didn't see the truck.

how do we know he didn't attempt to stop the car? maybe the software prevented him

How many miles of tesla autopilot have been driven in total now? And this is the first fatality? Surely the autopilot must be statistically safer, a crash once in a while is simply impossible to avoid.

most people forget their brain at home when they need to get somewhere.

i have been a part of a lot of near crashes because people are too stupid to follow regulations, and its fucking infuriating to see these dimwits have being issued a drivers license.

seriously, when hauling hay i am not even moving at 30km/h and still those fuckers manage to fuck up while overtaking me.

mostly because of impatience

I thought Google's numbers for their self driving cars were quite good, like only a bare handful of accidents of questionable blame but most of the accidents they were involved in weren't the fault of their cars.

should have installed Gentoo.

bgr.com/2016/06/30/tesla-autopilot-software-fatal-tractor-crash/
"This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated. Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles. Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles."

The autopilot was drunk. Give it a dui and call it a day.

It doesn't matter. We need to wait and see if letting Tesla's software drive the car is more or less safe than letting people drive.

In case somehow you didn't know, we have a fucking terrible track record at driving the things ourselves. Car related fatality is the 9th highest cause of death in the 1st world. It should not be difficult for software to improve upon.

I'm just looking into it now. I don't know where I got the impression that Google's record was not so great. Apparently it's good but I guess dopey politicians want to see better rates than this despite it being better than human drivers already as far as accident rates are concerned.

And apparently the vast majority of accidents that Google has gotten into have a human drive to blame.

>Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles."
They really shouldn't include India and China in these figures just to make USA look better.

BAN ASSAULT CARS!

wonderful self-drive memes. mercedes has a parking meme. i would LOVE them to dare use that in my country. some streets drivers are forced to drive half the car on the curb and parking in my street involves reversing at a 90 degree angle in a 2 metre wide street into a 30 degree ramp

If it turns out the driver is fully legally responsible and not the car manufacturer this could actually be a boost to develop it further.

These things clearly have it out for us.

For real though, Tesla should not into self-driving cars, they have no experience or deep understanding of AIs. Leave that shit to google.

Just this, they stated everywhere its not autopilot, its driver assistance and should not be left unmanned.

The cab is a Tractor unit which pulls a semitrailer, thus tractor trailer. It's perfectly correct to call the entire unit a Tractor trailer

In English "tractor" typically refers to the farm equipment, but the base word really just means "to pull"

Are there any other types of trailers?

Yes. Like campers, horse trailers and full trailers

You DO know who Tesla is partnered with in all this, right, champ?

Not to mention all of the Google and Apple employees Tesla has poached away from their automated driving programs already. It's all the same pool of people working on this, the logo on the project does not really matter. It's actually kind of frightening that you think that way.

You have to be really really really dumb to trust autopilot in glorious 2016.
Every auto-something is still in beta and this will be the case in 2017 and 2018.

Tesla doesn't need to defend anything at all. They're really clear that even if autopilot is on, the driver is still in absolute control of the vehicle.

Toyota doesn't recall cars when drivers wreck using cruise control
And certainly a software problem with autopilot would not mean Tesla would recall all of their cars. Some people have been driving their teslas for years now, many teslas on the road don't even have that feature to begin with.

“Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied,”
Maybe I'm missing something but doesn't it use radar which doesn't particularly care about a 'bright lit sky' to detect objects? Can't the radar detect objects far enough ahead or do they just use a camera?

i am shaking, dayum that look scary

>beta testing into production environment
some one is going to get fired, and its not me

The lefties are gonna do a sit in. People on watch lists shouldn't be allowed to own these things.
projectq.us/atlanta/three_gay_atlanta_men_killed_in_tragic_car_crash?gid=17507

Lol tesla started selling their first cars 8 years ago.

why would you think they would need to recall all of their cars for a software problem that is only even enabled on a fraction of them

I feel like the loss of crude oil is a much bigger economical than ecological impact
all that oil goes to waste, and they have to use more resources to get more of it

dude how fucking rich do you have to be to justify having vertical car storage space

lol rich people getting killed by their own decadence.

Was the driver asleep? How the hell do you not notice a semi in front of you and your car not slowing down.

I'd love to have autopilot stuff like that in my car
then I could be a true american and eat 2 burgers safely on my way to work

rich enough to afford 3 teslas and a ferrari

Here's that picture you guys are talking about. I didn't mean to upload it but oh well.

1.7% wood screws and all that

>you have to pay $3k to enable autopilot
>no hardware upgrade, literally $3k for a beta that can kill you.

Better learn to build and maintain your own vehicles, goys.

not much

>but the base word really just means "to pull"
Guess most cars should be called tractors then if they have a tow bar.

yup, same for every driver aid.
>back up cam tells you to check your surroundings before backing up
>blind spot monitoring tells you to check your blind spot before changing lanes
>auto-park tells you to be ready to take control
>autopilot tells you to remain attentive in case of an emergency

People think that driver aids will take away driver responsibilities and allow them to catch up on some reading or jack off or sleep while the car drives them to work. In reality self driving cars will be an expensive luxury that can't really be used since the driver now becomes a systems monitor. You have to make sure your car behaves on the road. People will become complacent because the car never errored until that one time. When that happens, the driver will try to sue only to have the manufacture's lawyers use the liability waiver the driver signed and face cam footage of the drive fucking off and make it a clean case of driver negligence. Had the driver not been trying to suck their dick in the back seat, he/she may have been able to prevent the wreck.

Another thing that comes to mind is maintenance of safety items on the car like brakes, suspension, tires, ect. People barely take care of those items as it is and probably won't when they get the autonomous car. The car will politely remind you that it has been a while since you changed the brake pads and that you should have then inspected. But it comes down to the driver to actually take the car in. Naturally most won't take their car in to get serviced because "THOSE FUCKERS WANA CHARGE ME 500 DOLL HAIRS JUST TO LOOK AT IT" and leave the car to traverse the roads with shot brakes and tires. Hopefully the car is made smart enough to know that it hasn't been serviced in awhile (ie its been awhile since a tech has reset all the maintenance reminders) and start driving slower and or maintaining longer following distances. Otherwise crashes of driverless cars will be come more common as the car gets older thinking that it can stop on a dime the way it could when it was new.

It wouldn't surprise me that there will be folks trying to bypass the service reminders if the car does gimp itself because the owner won't pay for servicing.

I'm guessing the car saw an opening under the truck and went for it, thinking a car just passed

>it over

kek does no one remember the Volkswagen and the ford pinto? anything that happens is pocket change

Tesla states everywhere that it's not meant to be a self driving car but a driving aid. Some idiot refuses to watch the road and died because of it. The only reason it's newsworthy is because it's Tesla.

Oh but it is a tractor

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_unit

europeen edukation, folks

a semi trailer is a trailer without a front axle.

My buddy is a pilot, and he refers to himself as a "systems analyst." He is also a drunk and gay. Checks alot of stereotype boxes.

And adult humans should be able to weigh those risks themselves. If they didn't get them to sign a waiver though, Tesla's fucked

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tractor_unit
>ameripedia

ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Road_freight_vehicle_statistics_-_lorries,_road_tractors_and_trailers

You stupid fucking slav

>This is the first step towards a recall of all Tesla cars
wew :^)
that's not how software updates work, buddy

2/10 bait, made me reply

Can you do it OTA in a Tesla?

your mom is a slippery slope after I was with her last night.

Tesla doesn't need a defense. It's the driver's fault. (Unless the trucker pulled out expecting the Tesla to break even though Tesla had right of way, then it is the trucker's fault. I didn't read it though so idk). Tesla's autopilot cannot override the driver's controls. This isn't like a stuck accelerator accident, then is a driver not paying attention.

>Nvidia CEO gets model X
my fucking nigga, i knew i made the right decision

youtube.com/watch?v=ggWS4tTzs60

You're retarded. Every single accident improves every autopilot system both now and in the future. It is data the software learns from and adapts to, regardless of liability. The market will drive better autopilots far faster than rules and regulations based on ethical scenarios

>musk made his cars so that they will kill retarded cucks
based

Argument for operator vigilance on commercial airplane (which is only flown by professionals with multiple certificates and thousands of hours of training) may or may not hold up for personal automobiles (which only requires a driver's license, which almost anybody can get).

>mfw

The software cannot do that and also has a display showing the driver of all the cars it sees or danger it detects. If the driver detects danger but the car doesn't (no alarms going off) then they stop the car. The driver is the last line of defense, not the autopilot.

Also, the computer in the Tesla will have a log of if the driver depressed the decelerator or not, so that data will be in the investigation if it survived.

The Google handlers in charge of the cars usually intervene before the accident if the autopilot is to blame. They can make note of it and point out the error to the autopilot without needing to actually let it hit another vehicle.

So can Tesla drivers.

Personal car ownership should be illegal, period.
There is NO REASON to own your own personal vehicle, considering that an automobile is the most dangerous device created by personkind.
People who are pro gun control should be pro vehicle control, as more people die everyday at the hands of reckless people behind the wheel. Guns are peanuts compared to vehicles. If the terrorists really wanted to hurt us they'd sell us a material that powers these murdercages and allows us to drive them constantly.
Cars are fucking evil. The 1st world would literally be a better place if we removed ALL personal vehicles and supported a proper nationwide mass transit solution. Turn our asphalt killing fields into tree and park space, grass and bushes and flowers and beauty, not the blood and oil covered nightmare plateaus they are now.

Good. Automation is the worst thing to happen to cars yet.

There's already bills being pushed to try and create greener more efficient cars, soon enough there will be bills requiring automation and then driving yourself will be outlawed.

The more incidents like this the better. I want to drive my car myself and be able to modify it myself as much as possible. Fuck tesla and fuck elon musk.