Tesla driver using Autopilot feature killed by tractor trailer

>Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the tractor-trailer and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "watching Harry Potter on the TV screen" and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

kek

finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-driver-killed-crash-while-012228445.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=9I5rraWJq6E
youtube.com/watch?v=5TjbqVartjM
jalopnik.com/volvo-engineer-calls-out-tesla-for-dangerous-wannabe-au-1773519459
rgj.com/story/money/reno-rebirth/2015/06/15/gigafactory-jobs-list-description-requirements-apply/71135096/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>The first person to die in a U.S. crash involving a car in self-driving mode was the tech-savvy 40-year-old owner of a Tesla Model S who nicknamed his car "Tessy" and praised its sophisticated "Autopilot" system.

>Joshua D. Brown, of Canton, Ohio, died in the May 7 crash in Williston, Florida, when his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer rig from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes, according to government records and a Tesla statement issued Thursday.

>Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the tractor-trailer and owner of Okemah Express LLC, said the Tesla driver was "watching Harry Potter on the TV screen" and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

>"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi said in an in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

Good job fucking it up for Google, bald manlet.

Expelliarmus!

>tech is still in early adopter stage with hardly any users
>people are already dying

Its over, Tesla is finished. They need a damn near flawless record before the average person trusts that thing with their life.

it's literally just fancy cruise control
if you get killed using it it's your own damn fault

>not paying attention to the road while driving so fast that you fly through a tractor trailer
great idea faggot

I guess 480 owners aren't the only ones having to deal with bad crashes and no drivers.

Doesn't the car have radars and shit to prevent stuff like this from happening?

>only using optical sources of information
>not recording depth information
Frankly, this death was coming a thousand years away.

How could Tesla make such a retarded mistake?

>his car's cameras failed to distinguish the white side of a turning tractor-trailer rig from a brightly lit sky and didn't automatically activate its brakes

Darwinism

people are retarded. Tesla is "level 4" autopilot, meaning you have to everything yourself if something goes wrong. People on the internet are overhyping it, like they do with everything else,. only it's not a GPU or a phone, it's a car and people can die.

Yes I read that. I was under the impression that these self-driving cars relied on more than just fucking cameras (i.e., sonar or radar).

You're still a retard though

The least believable part of this story is that someone is watching Harry Potter in 2016. The last movie came out half a decade ago.

how do you measure depth without optical sources?

Lasers

>sonar

So its supposed to look for depth charges or some shit nigga lmao

If I bought a Tesla, it wouldn't be for autopilot. I don't trust this robot who relies on a camera with limited dynamic range(like in this case)

>Before Autopilot can be used, drivers have to acknowledge that the system is an "assist feature" that requires both hands on the wheel. Drivers are told they need must be prepared to take over controls, the statement said.
>the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen"

Give this man a Darwin award, he deserves it.

While it is technically true that the most obvious form of depth sensor is a time of flight camera, you can also use sonar, radar, or lidar.
I believe the original Kinect has a fancy one that's still a depth camera, but isn't time of flight.

This is hilarious. Futurists btfo.

Looks like we will need those jobs back from China after all.

emma bud

I guess you can't do much when your car wants to kill you...

I believe FLIR may also work in certain circumstances.

This just proves how dangerous Harry Potter is.

you can break. and follow the instructions, instead of trusting your life to an immature technology just to watch Harry Potter

Just think about it, this man thought "Harry Potter is worth more than my life", before taking off.

Fucking faggots. Auto piloted cars for you lazy faggot Americans will never happen. It's even crazier that "beta" autopilot'd cars are even legal to use on public roads.

I worked on military aircraft in the air force for 6 years, and each system has at least one backup, but sometimes shit just goes bad out of nowhere, or systems glitch or stop working. The same can happen in a fucking car and if you think any regular American is going to be paying enough attention when shit hits the fan, you have another thing coming.

This is a country where people can't even stop fucking texting for 10 minutes while they're on the road. The US needs to give up this idea boner for Elon Musks bullshit.

>He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.

what? how do you "hear" a movie while going 60mph down a highway?

are you serious? they literally said the system is a driving-aid, not a full driver replacement. the car didnt kill him, he killed himself with his negligence.

Or you could just drive it yourself instead of relying on mass manufactured cars. Do they even know if a sensor will work as intended after their cars leave factory?

I've seen blind people that could get around by clicking their tongues and listening for the sound bouncing off objects in their environment. You could probably do something similar with computers and ultrasonic pings or something.

>have self driving car
>make the fucker drive fast enough to drive through a trailer
Why the fuck?

>break

Wow, who would want to die watching a shit movie? Should have at least picked something good

>brake

Perhaps tesla should install blind people

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=31&v=9I5rraWJq6E

"Once the roads merged, the truck tried to get to the exit ramp on the right and never saw my Tesla. I actually wasn't watching that direction and Tessy (the name of my car) was on duty with autopilot engaged. I became aware of the danger when Tessy alerted me with the "immediately take over" warning chime and the car swerving to the right to avoid the side collision.... Tessy did great. I have done a lot of testing with the sensors in the car and the software capabilities. I have always been impressed with the car, but I had not tested the car's side collision avoidance. I am VERY impressed. Excellent job Elon!... Note 2: In case you're curious, I'm listening to an audiobook in the background. It's a Malcolm Gladwell book (excellent book)."

This guy was just a death waiting to happen. Even right in his videos description he notes that he wasn't paying any attention to the road, and was daydreaming about his fucking audiobook.

Now he's sucking Elon Musks dick in hell.

It's hardly a self driving car like what google has been developing.

It's mostly just cruise control with lane correction and automatic breaking. Nothing smart about it that can handle freak situations.

they do rely on that stuff, just not for the very specific situation that occurred here.

Do you look before posting at all retard!?

not if they get payed in (you)

I'm sorry you have the reading comprehension of child.

>2 out of 150 threads are about the same thing
>throw a fit
wew lad

oh, then the radar is woman tier driver.

>the car didnt kill him, he killed himself with his negligence
Pretty much. The extra automation of the car failed to save him from being an inattentive moron.

Granted its a small sample size but so far autopilot is ~40% safer than a human driver right now with one death in 130 million miles vs the average of 94. And all the cars will get to learn from this.

I'm not letting the dumbfucks ruin it for the rest of us.

Seeing as this guy was some Tesla advocate, he was clearly overly confident in his car at his own demise. The car has ultrasonic sensors. They have limited range and therefore aren't used for preventing these collisions. Radar is used for that, but Musk suggests overhead objects are assumed to be signs and could have been what caused this. I'm baffled that such low objects (compared to overhead signs that sit far higher accommodate trucks) aren't interpreted as an obstacle. Others are suggesting it was the truck's reflective surface that confused the radar.

What's the point of this if you need both hands on the wheel?

My ultra conservative Catholic Parents were right all along?

>Granted its a small sample size but so far autopilot is ~40% safer than a human driver right now with one death in 130 million miles vs the average of 94.

>393▶
>File: 1458778373362.jpg (9 KB, 186x208)
>
>Interrogation Marks

Highway driving is boring, so you can zone out a little (but not watch a god damn movie).

You only need to put your hands on the wheel if it loses certainty in where the road is. You're probably thinking of the Volvo version.

As always, the wise Catholics were right about the dangers of Harry Potter. For how much longer are we going to sit idly, as "Potter rights" activists endanger our people?

We demand Potter control! No more of this "Potter does not kill people, people kill people" nonsense!

Make Roads Great Again! I am with her (against Potter)!

>Brown's published obituary described him as a member of the Navy SEALs for 11 years and founder of a wireless Internet network and camera system company. In Washington, the Pentagon confirmed Brown's work with the SEALs and said he left the service in 2008.
one less. nice.

>canton
That's the real reason he died, he's a fucking retard

Elon Musk in a youtube interview stated outright that scanning lines on the road is a primitive form of artificial intelligence if he cant get that right now then he and his corporation never will.

Mercedes-Benz 2017 E-Class literally has the best automated driving system. This sort of thing will never happen with a Benz. Volvo, too, now that they upped the speed at which you can use it.

Yeah honestly how distracted do you have to be to not notice a fucking semi in the middle of the road and hit the brakes? What was he doing anyway? Mixing martinis?

I read somewhere that teslas are the safest cars on the road with frames that are so solid it broke one of the machines testing it. Is there photos of the crash? That must have been brutal

Probably not. It happened in what sounds like the middle of no where. Furthermore if the roof of the car got sheered off then you can bet the guy got decapitated and so the police are not too eager to release pictures of that.

Top kek

>Yeah honestly how distracted do you have to be to not notice a fucking semi in the middle of the road and hit the brakes?
Another thing that some Tesla owners have been doing is they do this but when they hit the breaks it deactivates auto pilot and the car spins out since nobody is holding the wheel.

Lasers, sonar, radar, Two cameras.

>not optical
>lasers

fucking retard

>auto pilot
FUCK OFFFFF
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I'm already pissed off about manuals going out of style

pfft

>there exists no video of the crash

Fuck. I want to see the look on that faggots face as the side of that trailer comes through his windshield.

>lel I'm in teh futur
>lel in flight movie
>its just like i robot

ITS A BETA TEST
HE KNEW THE RISKS

>>people are already dying
given the number using it, the death rate is surprisingly low, actually.

it's just scaring idiots that they're not involved in their own deaths, but chances are the sort of person who disregards the safety warnings and watches harry potter in the driver's seat of a *very clearly* unfinished autopilot system was living on borrowed time anyway.

it probably happened so fast that his face didn't reveal the kind of nuanced "oh i made a mistake" shit that you're hoping to see.

even if it did, looking for that from a fatality is really shitty of you. there are plenty of videos of idiots who've merely hurt themselves where you can see the same looks on their faces.

stop pretending to be edgy (or, if you insist on pretending, go back to Sup Forums)

>>lel in flight movie
This part immediately jumped out at me. The story kept drifting from
>He was watching Harry Potter
>Trucker: "Well I only heard it, I didn't see it."
>Tesla: "You can't play movies on the console."
What the fuck is going on here?

11/10

Is the driver really that retarded or is there a cover up going on

Why not both? The driver sounds like he was a retard. The car sounds like it confused the broad side of a trailer for a road sign. I call it even.

Does this guy seem retarded?

youtube.com/watch?v=5TjbqVartjM

Reddit tier humour

as an american, i feel obligated to chime in that drivers in the US are unbelievably (and i really mean "so extreme as to be not believable") bad drivers. they're inattentive, prone to angry responses on the road, and generally quite dangerous.

we have both infrastructure (roads, etc...) and laws (speed limits and whatnot) to limit the damage that drivers can do, but if we catch someone watching a movie in their car we don't take away their licenses. when senile old people mow down a dozen or so people at a farmer's market (this is practically a cliche now), we still have controversy over whether we should maybe think about someday not letting dead people drive. nobody's even close to willing to propose taking licenses away from the elderly.

and if that weren't enough, every state is completely independent in this regard. so while you should get a CA license if you move to CA from NY, you won't get a ticket for at least a while.

the US is just fucking madness on the roads. this also makes it profoundly more dangerous for bicyclists, and the suburban sprawl plaguing most of the US makes being a pedestrian a non-starter, so the culture becomes an arms race where everyone gets a full size car or larger.

He was probably watching it on his phone and had Bluetooth connection to the cars audio.
The movies audio was probably playing from the remains of the vehicle.

I still think this is just as much teslas fault.
They marketed their enhanced cruise control as an actual self driving vehicle. I mean they even named it fucking "autopilot" why would they even do that shit?

I didn't know Harry Potter was still relevant

butthurt faggot

It might be worthwhile to add the other end of the age spectrum: young adults, who are perhaps most motivated to win the independence afforded by driving, are not hammered on by the gravity of the responsibility. In most places the road tests are a joke, the probationary periods are short/unenforced/non-existent and the barrier to entry is relatively low. Kids who don't take driving as a gravely serious task become grown ass adults who give no shits as well.

stop being such a fucking 14-year-old, you fucking autistic faggot.

jalopnik.com/volvo-engineer-calls-out-tesla-for-dangerous-wannabe-au-1773519459

I'd be genuinely surprised if the phone, Bluetooth link and audio system all survived the top of the cabin getting sheared off. Especially given that YouTube video where you see his phone in one of those vent clip mounts. I'm not calling 100% bullshit. Just genuine surprise and respect for the manufacturers.

I think Autopilot is a fine name on a technicality, in that it's "auto-matic" and not "auto-nomous." However I still think their implementation is wrong. Just like an aircraft, for example, Mercedes implements enhanced cruise control with multiple levels of engagement. From no hands it'll ding-dong you into "please touch the wheel" mode, and then from there to "both hands on the wheel now" as its confidence in the situation decreases. So yeah, I do still blame Tesla in part, primarily because this guy probably went from 65 to guillotine without any dings or dongs.

that's fair. i think the general takeaway is that the entire culture around driving is a little fucked up, but the institutions that are supposed to determine things like who can drive and who can't are absolutely comatose.

in europe (both the UK and the EU) my sense is that getting a license isn't as trivial as falling out of your bed on a saturday morning, wasting a day in a shitty industrial building, and then winging the practical exam. but that's sort of how it is here (if you're under 18 in many states they try to strongly suggest driver's education but it's absolute shit).

the whole system is incredibly leaky.

Quite the opposite. Tesla has brought more domestic jobs to the US in recent years than any other outsourcing automotive we company.
rgj.com/story/money/reno-rebirth/2015/06/15/gigafactory-jobs-list-description-requirements-apply/71135096/

S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E

I think there are European countries with sufficient corruption to still allow for it. In fact that complicates the "safeguard" in the US that licenses need to be reissued as residence changes. The EU has a standardized license which must only be updated to match a new country of residence upon renewal--either 10 or 15 years from its issuance, depending on where you got it. In the US, as you pointed out, states expect you to change over relatively quickly and the expiration period is generally much shorter than 10-15 years.

There's room for improvement in both regions. I would agree that the changes needed in the US are practical, whereas the ones in the EU are more bureaucratic.

this is why a LIDAR implementation of an autopilot system is superior (but more costly) then a more simply camera based one.

Any pictures of the accident/wreck ?

Apart from cost, isn't LIDAR also terribly more fussy about inclement weather? I know that Tesla sells where I live and we've got a healthy dose of all four seasons. It would have to cope with every form of precipitation including cats and dogs.

Can't wait until apple puts out their cars and they start decapitating faggots and siri starts giving the headless cadavers directions to the nearest emergency room.

>Self driving car
>Doesnt drive self

He ended up going under the side of the semi, which basically took off the top of the car and his upper torso with it

that how the movie ended up still playing

That's what I find impressive. Lopping off the top of the car somehow didn't significantly damage the phone mounted on an air vent, the electronics related to Bluetooth pairing nor the audio system of the car. (Unless it did and the only survivor was the phone, which reverted to its own speaker once BT disconnected. I actually hadn't considered that before and it's far less surprising now.)

i mean if you imagine where wiring and whatnot would go, i can't fathom how it would all run through the upper part of the car.

i'm somewhat surprised that the car didn't kind of fold inward with the top off. i figured the batteries at the bottom weighed a lot and needed the top to keep the whole thing sort of held up, but i guess not that either.

>Do they even know if a sensor will work as intended after their cars leave factory?
Yes and the sensor worked as intended, just the software didn't interpret it correctly.

>implying that will stop me from buying the 30k tesla

Nice try primitive shills

Well it still hasn't gotten that wrong at least.

Why would this turn off anyone from buying a Tesla? I'm not going to tell people to avoid buying PCs just because they can use TeamViewer if they find it convenient. That, and its attendant risks, are on their shoulders. They could just as easily not use the dangerous feature and enjoy their computer just like everyone else does.

ice
fucking
cold