What is there to do on Linux besides rice?

What is there to do on Linux besides rice?

Is there anything it can be used for that Windows doesnt have a better alternative to?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6TBRTLsCNXs
whylinuxisbetter.net/
pastebin.com/RzmcT4pP
howtogeek.com/192462/linux-was-once-hard-to-install-and-use-now-its-easy/
pastebin.com/pJ9yFrR4
netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0
lifehacker.com/5974087/i-raised-my-kids-on-the-command-lineand-they-love-it
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Gentoo#Instructions_for_installing_Gentoo
eff.org/issues/tpp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For me, I use it because I have no use for windows really. A lot of the tools I use in my classes work on Linux and there are some that don't work on windows.

I have to say: Linux doesn't catch the viruses that plague Windows.
But then it's very cryptic and suitable only for very sad people.

>doesn't catch the viruses the plague Windows
yeah, no shit!

Windows has totally shit terminals. Putty is light years behind something like iterm2 on OS X.

As a developer and someone who helps look after 2000 Linux servers, Windows is shit for the job. All of the best tools for this world are on OS X and Linux.

To catch a virus on Linux you literally have to be retarded.

I have keybinds tied to scripts to download up to date weather GIFs, which is very nice to have in or near tornado alley.
I have a headless torrent box running linux as well.
the possibility for the lowest memory and CPU usage is good for laptop battery life.
The assurance that your encrypted files are really military grade is nice, as well.
Also, try running everything by keyboard in windows. It isn't fun.

Same goes for windows.

you have to be braindead to catch viruses.

Christ.

It gives me something different to use and it feels snappier on my T420 than Windows 7 does. My desktop runs Windows though.

>What is there to do on Windows besides rice?
>Is there anything it can be used for that GNU/Linux doesnt have a better alternative to?

I do actual work on linux. So yes you can do more than just rice.

Fast, secure, doesn't spy on me and I like the whole free software philosophy, also because ricing.

What is there to do on Windows besides play games?

Is there anything it can be used for that GNU/Linux doesnt have a better alternative to?

Linux is for work, Windows is designed to be used by noobs so it tries to """just work""" but if you try to do anything out of the ordinary is really difficult. Linux assumes you know how to read the fucking manual and gives you far more capability and freedom

The only thing that keeps windows alive is video games and old people.
All the "build" threads have Windows tacked on the purchase list.

On windows you just have to be unlucky

but being retarded helps

>suitable only for very sad people.
That's me!

Hmm.. I think you can do that on windows too

Not the guy you're responding to, but most of the libraries and even software I use for work doesn't even exist on Windows.

oh
ok

switching caps lock and escape breaks windows

>if you try to do anything out of the ordinary
What do linux users do that's out of the ordinary other being a retarded ricefag? Face it, functionality-wise windows is and will always be better for people who are actually productive.

Windows has no use outside virtual machines. Vt-d exists.

Tried to use vt-d for some audio task I had to do at the uni.
Never more.

>downloading 100 kB movie.exe
>unlucky

>clicking ad and downloading smiley central
>unlucky

>using administrator account for everything
>unlucky

>using outdated software
>unlucky

>allowing chinese program to install driver
>unlucky

If you say so...

>unlucky

Everything but recent video games can be done on Linux / BSD / etc.

for i in {0..100000}; do echo $i > $i;done

Drive-by downloads are a thing

Just use Ubuntu if you want simplicity.

for what purpose

If you need to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer.

Retarded ricefag confirmed.

>it's another "what's so great about linux anyway?" thread

>MY OPINION IS BETTER THAN YOURS
lol okay

They don't make cartoons like they used to.

>hey answer this simple question
>LALALA WELL IT'S JUST YOUR OPINION MAN
lol okay

It runs on low resources efficiently without crashing cause you set the wrong username.

>linuxfag answers it correctly
>LALALALALA THATS NOT THE ANSWER I WANTED LINUXFAG LALALALALA
lol okay

>>linuxfag answers it correctly
lmao are you having a stroke? Where?

>Windows have better alternative
I dual boot instead of deleted windows completely just in case that situation ever arises.

It doesn't install adware.
It updates itself when you tell it.
It will never force itself on you and make you a slave.

You can turn it into whatever you want, not just move a panel around and change tile colours. It's not just ricing, it's about it's whole functioning.

Linus is just a kernel. You can enable or disable modules, but that's all you can rice here.

What is there to do on Windows?

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

what about dual-boot?

Visual Studio. Don't meme me with Vim and shit like that because it's just not comparable in my workflow. VS is hands down best IDE that ever was and will always be. baka @ Xcode 2bh after trying it for C.

This.

Linux for ricing, Windows for gaming.
Perfect.

youtube.com/watch?v=6TBRTLsCNXs
whylinuxisbetter.net/
pastebin.com/RzmcT4pP
howtogeek.com/192462/linux-was-once-hard-to-install-and-use-now-its-easy/
pastebin.com/pJ9yFrR4
>main reason pic related

Optimist running Gentoo here, AMA.

I tried installing Gentoo recently but made a cock-up of it, going to try again next week. Any tips for a beginner on the install process and general use?

ganoo plus loonax officially 2% desktop market share!

netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0

I T S H A P P E N I N G ! ! !

>very cryptic
>suitable only for very sad people
lifehacker.com/5974087/i-raised-my-kids-on-the-command-lineand-they-love-it
top lel

Ohoho rekt. It was an overkill response, faggot, be ashamed

Read the wiki well, don't be afraid of booting a kernel that might not boot. Don't use genkernel, learn about gentoolkit, eix, dispatch-conf. Do a stage3 install from another Linux host.

Also remember that this is ONE WAY to install gentoo

Best way of installing gentoo is funtoo

Neat, thanks a lot!

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Gentoo#Instructions_for_installing_Gentoo

You can also try sabayon for some months, if you want to try gentoo on training wheels. I advise you that Sabayon is based on "testing" repo, but you can still use it as an alternative OS.

If you've installed Arch you see it is quite similar (instead of pacstrap you emerge), but you only have to optimise your compiler and other stuff like your kernel. Also use a stage3 kernel, don't bother too much if this is your first try.
Follow the wiki as a bible, and refer to a youtube video or the thinkpad wiki.

Sorry thinkpenguin wiki.

>install linux
>can't play the latest Ed, Edd and Eddy patch
what fucking bullshit, how did they manage to break the game again

>wait for Windows to uninstall your pirated games
Not on my country, only on the land of the free.

>soon if our asshole government brings the freedom to your land
eff.org/issues/tpp

What about SteamOS, GOG, Emu-Gen wikis?

I do pretty much all of those things, including not paying for Windows already.

You know how I have fun? I play games.

You can use it as a reliable base for your robot gf's control software.

This. Programming server-side software on windows is like walking blindfolded. Linux is de-facto standard for networked computing infrastructure.

To each its own, OP just asked for something in where Linux excels above Windows.

I have always been curious about using Linux full time, but at this point I work enough as it is and to take the time to partition my hard drive (or grab a spare and install it), then relearn Linux syntax as it's been a long time since I've used it, I just don't feel any urge at all.

Now, if the first gen a sex bot that comes out runs off of Linux, I'll be the next Stallman in terms of learning it.

Gee, I don't know, maybe program a byte or two?

wtf is this, did someone get way too into chobits?

Science