Hey Sup Forums I'm going into uni this fall and they had jump start program that lets you take CS 101 over the summer

hey Sup Forums I'm going into uni this fall and they had jump start program that lets you take CS 101 over the summer

we had the first day today and all the computers in the lab were mac's. red flag number one
then I found out we'd mostly be writing in python and doing OOP

I asked the professor if this was really meant to be a serious introduction to computer SCIENCE (on a mac ffs....) and he said "I'm starting to think this program inst for you"

now I'm worried he's going to be bias against me for the rest of the semester

how bad did I fuck up?

It's going to take some work, but you should end up okay.

Check the class syllabus, and see when your professor's office ours are. Go in, and explain to him how severe your autism is. Most schools have strict disability policies, and he should be able to work around your retarded ass.

For fuck's sake, it's CS 101. You're basic concepts of programatic flow, variables, functions, and the like. You don't need to be some l33t haxx0r using haskell on a Linux from-scratch box.

OS X will give you a nice Unix environment, and Python is a competent-enough language to learn the basics.

Once you know the basics, you can take harder classes that make you deal with memory management and the like.

Fucking idiot.

but don't you think the macs are a red flag?
I'm worried I might have signed up for a less than serious program

What would you prefer, Sun boxes?

OS X is fine for learning most things.

If you were serious about CS, you'd set up a dev environment on your rig that fit your needs. Many programs have a computer lab for the poor pajeets that can't afford a decent machine.

Which school is this at?

I'd be concerned if they weren't using osx or at least Linux. Macs are great for programming.

Would be much more concerned if everyone used windows.

OP is a moron and revealed his autism - professor is smart and is trying to get autist out of his class because autists interrupt the class to talk about their linux shit in the middle of a lecture as a 1 on 1 convo with professor.

Everyone cringes and professor fights to maintain politeness while also getting back to lecture.

Every. Day. In. CS.

Multiple times per lecture.

We had four of these guys in my last class. Professor forced to put hard rules on talking so he had an excuse to shut them up. They simply dont understand that it is innapropriate to interrupt and feel no social cues. Poor guys...

For the professors sake I hope OP drops or shuts the fuck up.

>Macs are great for programming.
fuck off shill

Every. Damn. Day. For four years. I know the frustration. They're looking for validation and don't care whose toes they step on to get it. Basically autists.

I'll take my degree and real world experience and fuck right off then I guess.

>serious introduction to computer SCIENCE (on a mac ffs....)

Welcome to 2016. Get with the program. Macs are no longer hipster machines. A good portion of what you see in industry is as follows:

Developers: mainly OS X
Backend: mainly Linux
End users: mainly Windows

You just look autistic for crying about a computer rather than doing your fucking job.

You should drop out now. Your professor is right.

As far as you as a person goes, is pretty accurate.

>I can't have a meaningful discussion.
>I just shitpost like a 12 year old.

Nice.

>WINDOWS IS BETTER BECAUSE... UM... JUST PICK WINDOWS ALREADY YOU FAGGOT: the image

>homOSX
you should look for another school, if they don't use a good linux flavor such as arch or gentoo it's going to be shit for sure.

Computer science is the study of computation. Learning a language is just learning a medium to compose your computation into reality.

Once you know a language your choice of environment shouldn't have a great effect on your ability to build algorithms. I mean, yeah moving from Windows to Linux or OSX you may not know all the optimal short cuts or execute your programs the same way, but the part about writing the code is the same.

If you're seriously concerned about "OSX being a red flag" maybe it's not what you should get into. Maybe some other thing like electrical engineering? Idk I can't imagine what you think is wrong with OSX. It has all the tools someone need to do computing and study computational methods, algorithms.
Is this a state school? Or a private school? Or hell what university is it?

>lolo homo lol!!! im funny because i spout out what Sup Forums says without fact checking!!!
okay

why are macs a red flag OP? they're a popular unix environment

>the9gag.com

Macs aren't a red flag. They use a unix operating system, so if you dig into the command line, you'll basically be learning the linux command line too, which is an insanely useful thing to know in CS.

Learning the windows command line? Pretty much as useless as it gets unless you plan on managing windows networks.

You need to get off your high horse and at the very least learn how to look into these red flags like a mature adult.
>after class
>professor, I have a question
>why are we using (x thing you heard was shit)? I've read that (y other thing) was better, but I'm curious to know more

Much better to ask why they did something instead of jumping straight to accusing them of being an idiot. It'll be pretty clear from their explanation whether or not they have a good reason.

For all you know, they might have some sort of deal with a mac dealer, or they might have been donated, and it was cheaper this way.

Also
>needing to learn important life lessons from Sup Forums

It's a red flag that OP is out of touch with his major and is destined for a life of escalating tickets to 2nd tier desktop support.

No. Bash shell and good hardware. I wouldn't buy one personally, but they're still pretty decent.

Bullshit it's cs 101 ffs.

Maybe if you studied harder in high school you could have got into a better tier school.

I'm in Princeton right now and even the humanities majors are running Gentoo on Thinkpads, OP, it's amazing... it's like everybody here has a 150 IQ.

Your professor is right.

Some people just like macs more OP. It's not a big deal

>samefagging this hard

Fuck off Rajeesh.

>mfw people come into the computer industry expecting not to use macs, even though most big tech companies use macs to do their jobs

/thread

Did you ask this in a 1-on-1, or in front of the class?

Fuck off WinCuck

>if u dun shill apel u must liek windoze!

Fuck off Rajeesh. No one's falling for your samefag astroturfing.

>Do you want to be free?
>yes
>Are you a marxist? -> GNU/Linux
>Are you a pragmatist? -> Call it linux, phase out GNU as much as you can
>Are you a pragmatist but not that much of a pragmatist? -> OS X, disable or configure SIP
>Is becoming stirner one of your life goals? -> BSD and rants about how the GPL is theft
>no
>Windows

I believe he meant to post "emacs"

My program lent us out laptops with i7s running Windows that we virtualized Linux on. The computer lab has no OSes and was for teaching us how to build, install, and configure them.

We were taught C and no OOP. This was four years ago. Sounds like your program is shit, OP

>They use a unix operating system, so if you dig into the command line, you'll basically be learning the linux command line too, which is an insanely useful thing to know in CS.
Lol no on two counts

OS X uses BSD utils which are incompatible with GNU utils and outdated bash

And

CS has nothing to do with a crappy algol-inspired OS automation language from 1970. You're confusing it with IT, aka being a computer janitor.

t. use linux without ever touching any program ending in "sh". I just use python and gedit.

>Python
How does it feel using a toy language and having no idea how your computer works?

If you're a Linux user you should have an even better idea of how OS X would be good for development, as it's a Unix descendant

unless you're going to provide some soild evidence to the contrary, i'm going to assume you're either a buttmad wincuck, or a skid GNU/faggot

>uses mactoddlerOS
>calls anything else a toy

It's still a step higher than fucking sh-alikes.

No one cares about your fartapp maker OS Pajeet.

>I'll take my degree and real world experience

"I'm your average 'murrican jerk that went to a shitty university with all my mactard friends."

[spoiler]ftfy[/spoiler]

ITT: people who never used macs

ITT mactoddlers who never used real computers

More like desktop threadders who bought macs to be popular and realized they couldn't rice them

serious question OP

what does macOS not do for you that Windows or Linux does?

which of this stuff applies directly to what you'll be doing in the computer lab?

/thread

Most consoles linux users use today are VTE based, so basically about as capable as mac terminals.

If you're not using rxvt or xterm your terminal emulation sucks

Running outside the walled garden of overpriced toddler hardware

Congrats, you are an autist who actually bought Sup Forums memes.

Objectively wrong.

>I'm a typical Sup Forumsentoo user burnout who gave up adulthood at 15

Prove it.
>Hardmode
Don't even mention bullcrap hackintosh crap

>>I'm a typical mactoddler who gave up adulthood at 6

Hard mode is not mentioning facts that disprove your shit? Oh alright.

>overpriced toddler hardware

It's the exact same hardware that's used in PCs. The only difference is that if you get a mac pro, it'll throttle because of the thermal issues.

Lmao comeback when it doesn't crash when you boot the second time

Alright. What now? Want me to teach you how to write "come back"?

>it'll throttle because of the thermal issues.
That's all applel products, not just the mac pro.

>Yeah, I'm totally new to this program and I know close to nothing about CS, but the internet told me macs are for fags so I'm going to say this program that I just started isn't rigorous enough
>Also how dare CS 101 use basic languages

Oh you showed me, didn't you?
Dumb toddler

throttle at 800MHz dude XDDD

>macs
>red flag

Macs are basically the windows of programming. Beginner-friendly and an actual competent programming environment, unlike Windows.

We use macs for programming at my job, and I only have Windows at home. I'll tell you from experience that devving on Windows is hell compared to OS X, and doing any work revolving around programming, is even more atrocious on windows

Linux is what you use when you graduate from OS X, but OS X is still competent for professional work. The top IT companies use it for a reason

>t. Pajeet

>we had the first day today and all the computers in the lab were mac's. red flag number one

What qualifies you OP to come to this conclusion?

>Mac
>competent

Some OSX applications are dumbed down. i.e. Minitab. It does not have all functionality in the OSX version. You have to pay some extra for certain features.

Well, considering mactoddlers are dumb faggots they wouldn't even notice

i'm an idiot but i don't want to use macOS
Do I have to use an old build of OS X?

>t. person who has never had to program for Windows

>qualifies
>OP
OP isn't even qualified for programming 101.

Yes, it's provided at work, and I thought it was a meme when I started considering I came off using Windows for 15 years.

Going back to Windows for programming makes macs look professional and windows like toys

>t. Pajeet

ew no

Is this bait? Are you actually serious?

> but OS X is still competent for professional work

This is how I know you've never programmed professionally. You program on the platform you want to target. Sometimes you get to use libraries or frameworks that facilitate cross-platform development, but not always.

Platforms aren't tiers that you graduate from.

>This is how I know you've never programmed professionally
It's literally my career, so you're wrong

>Web dev thinks he's a programmer

>implications

Yes, me too. I write software for the VFX industry that has customers on every platform.

If your point is that Win32 is a pain to use compared to libraries available on OS X or Linux then yes, I agree.

But you don't just "move up" a tier if you're writing software that targets every platform.

>i make fart apps
>It's literally my career

baka desu senpai

>Minitab
>He needs a premade software package to do basic statistics and graphing

I never said anything about moving up a tier, or being able to write cross-platform, although that's a basic requirement nowadays anyway.

All I'm saying is that it isn't a red flag. Honestly, I'd prefer programming on OS X just because I mess around with Linux enough through AWS, and just want a personal workspace that just werks a little more

Maybe when you get a job and handle actual data you would know.

>>Mac
>>He needs a premade computer to do basic computing

all your tarded arguments are invalid.
one word: video games.

>video games
>being a manchild
shiggy diggorino

>one word: video games.

Back to manbaby

>Linux is what you use when you graduate from OS X
>I never said anything about moving up a tier

It kinda sounded like it, desu. But fair enough, I want to be friends.

I'm not sure if Cocoa is that beginner-friendly as it can provide a lot of services for your application if you fit it into its way of working, though I agree about actually working on OS X being more comfortable.

>OS X """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""programming""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

>1366x768
kys