Breaking News: RX 480 Causing Faults For PC – PCIe Slots Have Died On High-End Boards

wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-killing-pcie-slots/

Other urls found in this thread:

videocardz.com/61667/what-reviewers-say-about-radeon-rx-480-exceeding-pci-express-power-specifications
youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA
techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/23.html
forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29723412&postcount=10554
guru3d.com/articles-pages/palit-geforce-gtx-750-ti-stormx-dual-review,5.html
pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sounds like nvidia trying to hard to diminish the ass rape they got from the 480. Being 15w above the naximum is totally ok. Their 750 ti could get even 60w and nothing happened. Typical nvidia and their shady tactics.

Uh huh, sure. Strange that nobody has actually posted any evidence of this happening yet, just random reports from Definetly A Legit AMD Fan Guys Look At My FX Avatar posters on forums.

>wccftech

Fuck you AMD. You were our only hope to save us from Nvidia EVIL schemes and you can't help but repeatedly punch yourself in the dick like always.

FUCK YOU!!!

THERE ARE TWO GPU COMPANIES AND ONE IS EVIL AND THE OTHER IS RETARDED FUCKKK

>Tom's hardware
>Literally the maximum nvidia jews

15watts. Errr yeah try a bit more.
videocardz.com/61667/what-reviewers-say-about-radeon-rx-480-exceeding-pci-express-power-specifications

If the 750ti pulling 125 watts over pcie didn't kill it then the 480 pulling 85 watts wouldnt.

>480rx
>low overclocking, very poor efficient vs the nvidia cards, poor performance, draw too much power, the cf leak was biased, 1060 is faster and more efficiency
>Sounds like nvidia trying to hard to diminish the ass rape they got from the 480

Oh yes everyone on there is totally paid by Nvidia right.

>Sounds like nvidia trying to hard to diminish the ass rape they got from the 480

WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, EVEN THE 390 IS FASTER THAN POOLARIS

Yeah if the 480 pulled 85 watts that wouldn't be a problem

Thing is, even on idle it's going OVER 150 watts.

What a disaster, guess this is what you have to deal with when you're a poorfag and have to buy poo products

>Being 15w above the naximum is totally ok.

Standards and specs exist for a reason, breaking them is never "ok".

>Your brakes only fail like 1% of the time, it's totally ok

This shit is so fucking stupid.
Why not draw the extra power from the connector?
It's better to fry the power supply than the whole fucking motherboard.

>Strange that nobody has actually posted any evidence of this happening yet

You mean like the "proof" webm posted 400 times a day of the nvidia card driver frying even though it's 1 second after a cold boot and the driver isn't even loaded yet?

Incorrect. Nvidia cards have advanced Mega Fractional Power Stablization Technology™ that prevents any damage to your motherboard, even when they draw too much power from it. They draw what we like to call Good Power™ from the slot, whilst AMD cards draw Bad Power™. It's this Bad Power™ that causes motherboards to die, and as such the problem is exclusive to AMD.

>OVER 150 watts
Total, idiot. That includes the power drawn from the 6-pin connector and the slot, which isn't supposed to exceed 75W each.

And yet cards have been breaking them for years. The 750 Ti did it. The 960 did it. But as explained, it Okay When Nvidia Do It™ for the reasons listed above.

You seem to be retarded and don't actually have any idea what that video is showing. Here's a hint, retard: Not a card blowing up due to heat or power draw.

inb4 AMD Zen will do the same

Nvidia being shit in the past excuses AMD for being shit now? What are you trying to say?

Eh, I'd be inclined to believe it. Some YT reviewer had his RX480 shut down his PC despite the mobo + GPU being entirely compatible.

It won't fry the power supply. You can pull over 200W from a 6 pin safely. The worst case scenario is a melted 6 pin and dead graphics card or burnt wires if your psu is some Chink shit with 20 gauge wires.

But I'm pretty sure you need to pull a lot to get that far.

He should be happy it triggered a shutdown instead of a meltdown

youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA
And this faggot is a total AMD fanboy, if even fanboys admit the card has problems then AMD truly fucked up.

Is it cheap because it's cheaply-made?

Thank god i didnt' fall for the meme

>480
>rape nvidia ass
Rrrrrright...

>ASRock
There's your problem.

If you have a premium PSU with good quality copper connections and 14 gauge wire you can do much more than 200 watts.

It didn't, the 750ti averages 70watts.

The the board isn't high end.

Just overpriced ricer shit.

>but your mobo sucks it's not AMD's fault
>AMD make a card for poorfags
>Poorfags have rubbish mobos
>AMD make a card that breaches PCI-E standards that will literally melt your slot because it draws an average of 80+ watts at load, causing the slot to produce more heat than it can handle eventually weakening the solder and failing catastrophically, but Nvidia has a card with some spikes but an average of 62 watts out! This is a conspiracy against AMD!

Never change retards.

techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/23.html

>literally a jew

you can't make this shit up

>breaking news
Literally

Yea sure but I'm assuming most people use cheap trash. It has either 16 or 18 gauge wires.

ASRoc? Moar like ASSCock amirite?

This is the problem in a nutshell, if you have a premium mobo then the RX480 will run just fine. But if you have a premium mobo, why bother with a fucking budget GPU? And why can these shitty mobos handle a 980ti no problem but once you put a RX480 in it suddenly overdraws and shuts down?

Must be the 480 curse or something. Nvidia had issues with their variant.

first of all
POO
secondly:
Is this only a concern with the reference model? Sapphire Nitro model has an 8 pin instead of 6, so it shouldn't fuck you PCIe, right?

Yeah, that should solve the problem entirely.

Still fucking ridiculous that AMD released the faulty reference card in the first place tho.

So is it safe to buy the aftermarket cards if they feature more than a 6 pin conector?

Nvidia 480 never did anything beside getting super hot.

Depends if they made sure the BIOS does not pull more than 72w from the slot.

>And this faggot is a total AMD fanboy

Since when Science Studio is an AMD fanboy?

It shouldn't.

>14nm act like a 28nm card
>perform like old 390
>blow your momboard

Now I understand why they sell this turd 199$...

What if I've got a 100$ MSI mobo but a evga gold psu?
am i boned?

The problem is not connected to the PSU in any way, so yes, you're possibly boned.

$275

forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29723412&postcount=10554

Apologize.

fug, heres to hoping for a software fix.

Did you buy a 480?
If yes do you play games?
Do you intend to OC?

If you answered yes to the first two questions probably and/or it will take the card a few gaming loops to burn your house down.
If you answered yes to the third one definitely, it's just a matter of time before the solder melts and your mobo is a brick.

You should be fine if its on 3.0.
OP pic have yet to proves that his issue is real. or whether its Crimson driver all over again.

Even if it burned you can just RMA your motherboard.
Same shit have happened in the past with 125watt Phenom CPU frying people boards, mostyl Gigabyte because they chink out on the parts.

>AMD
>Make a card that goes up to 90c while gaming
>Make it draw more than the rated amount from the PCI-E slot
>Literally make a housefire GPU
>People still in denial and are surprised that this will melt your PCI-E slot when there are reports after 1 (one) day

Why the fuck did you buy a reference card? the $30 more for aftermarket GPU is always worth it. Hell, it even runs faster because it usually has much more room to OC.

Yes, before PCIE shit was addressed, it's still shipping
Yes
No
Guess I got cucked for being impatient, integrated graphics are terrible.

The thread on AMD community forums:
>hai guise, first time poster here
>Rx480 burned my mobo
>hai first time poster, lol it's my first time here as well
>it burned my mobo as well
>lol, hi other first time poster... glad it's not just me xD
>lol hahaha this so funny familia, I'll touch your penis if you touch mine hahaha xD

It's like nVidia isn't even trying. They used to pay people with reputable forum profiles to shill... now they are like "lol first time poster here, but believem me, I'm legit xD"

Holy shit, I cringed readig their posts.

A sw fix will reduce performance even more. And 200+ bucks for sub 100$ performance... What a deal! At least I got muh 8gigs right? Hahahahahahaha 3.5 faggots btfo

basic bitch models with fan that could cool GTS 8800
guru3d.com/articles-pages/palit-geforce-gtx-750-ti-stormx-dual-review,5.html

is that supposed to mean something to me?

Software fix is easy.
Lower the power limit.
Enjoy your throttling card.

Because I didn't expect AMD to be incompetent enough to do such a thing, and being on a Igpu for 5 months has left me itching to buy whenever it seemed right.

>expecting AMD to not fuck up EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME
well you learned something, isn't that worth... About 200 bucks?

It would take more than than that to melts your solder.

There's plenty of other factor that contribute to contact failure such as PCB and solder quality, but unless your motherboard have shitty contact then yes, it can fail in a numbers of way.

It's not a thermal issue on the cards part. It's a thermal issue at the PCI-E slot, it's not like you can magically tell the card not to draw more than 75w from the slot. If you can even do that via bios
(I seriously doubt it) it sounds like it's working as intended. Bravo AMD.

Meh, newegg refunds gpus if you ask for store credit so I can still recover from my terrible mistake if AMD doesn't fix it

>tfw watching the peasants scramble while I await the 1080Ti

>amdcucks

It doesn't need to melt your solder outright. It just needs to weaken it, it will eventually fail.
>PCB and Solder quality
>Poorfag card for poorfags and their $40 boards

>first time poster
>here about power draw issue
>decides to scam amd!

And this is the company that's gonna come up with a CPU more powerful than Skylake-Kaby Lake?

Hahahahahahahahaha. Poor AMDrones.

But not really, we're all fucked. Intel is going to dominate for several years to come it seems.

>AMD overclock their card last minute to make it more competitive, probably a proud leet hacker poo in loo behind it
>they lose millions
This fucking company I swear

>omar suhail
>jew

Are you fucking mentally disabled or just 10 years old?

Well I was planing on getting 2 to replace my 7970 on a 200$ mobo.
But now that looks like twice the worry.
Might have to do the unthinkable and buy green.
I'll wait for after market cards, hopping it solves it.
Hope they fire the intern that thought it was a good idea.

actually is is haswell performance you kike

>1080ti
Nvidya competing against itself

are you a retard?

Just go for AMD's older cards if you don't wanna green. They're good value for money and won't burn down your house.
I own both AMD and Nvidia GPUs. Nvidia is just quieter and less hot. I might pick up a 1060 if it's good value since I don't have a 1440p/4k monitor just to tide me over till there's a single 4K 60fps card which would warrant the wholesale investment.

lmao, the 7970 is way too competitive to replace with AMDs older cards. It'll be a marginally better card (like the 390) but you'll be paying a reasonable amount.

You can probably get a 390 used for $100 sold by some poor faget who thinks the 480 is better.

Even if this post is true there are other factors that could cause a PCIe slot to fail. It might have already been on the point of failing for some time and thr 480 pushed it over. It could just be an isolated case and he was just unlucky. He might have put a 970 in there and it still failed. Until I see proof from other people who are not 'just signed up' untrustworthy sources I will hold judgement.

Sup Forums thinks arabs and germans are jews.

>shills an nvidia game
>not a secret nvidia shill himself

>Zen releases early 2017
>Haswell was released late 2013, early 2014

So you're telling me that Zen is going to compete with a 3-year-old CPU after years of AMD being dead on the market?

This is the almighty Zen?

Top jej.
They should declare bankruptcy already.

That is 100% down to the board design. If they use a reference board it can still use more than allowed from PCIe slot.

>AMDrone denial
>Prove to me that god doesn't exist

You need to take a English class

I'm not upgrading for a 40% improvement.
Also, I refuse to crossfire 28 nm toasters on my 750W PSU.
It would probably work, but if the has told me anything, it's that you should not strain a PSU to its limit. (had one literally catch fire).
That's why the 480 cf looked sane

POO
IN
LOO
PAJEET

>Excessive load from PCIe slot is not limited, because it’s within safe reserves.
>Excessive load...[is] within safe reserves
>In the worst case scenario the motherboard would switch off.

If anyone actually has a part failure they need to contact their motherboard manufacturer/reseller for an RMA instead of blaming AMD, and then review the board to let people know that specific model is incapable of handling normal overdraws.
Unlike nanny-state countries (*cough* EU members *cough*) the consumer has a duty to be self-informed in any rational place that expects it's people to not be man-children. Reviews have been out. The problem is known.

Spec calls for 75w, it draws an average of 80. Impossible to kill a delivery system like that with a 5w/.35A overdraw. These specs are all over-engineered to stay within massive safety margins so that parts still work conceivably well after their useful life.

The 6-pin connector is physically capable of delivering 190w. HCS terminals bump this up above 220w.
A PCI-e slot can and should be able to sustain well over 75 with no real problems. The 24-pin motherboard power connector can push >150w through it's 12V lines.

=====================================================

What we have here is another "False flag" attack like when people claimed 290X's were killing boards based off of one person in a forum who reported that their heavily modified 7970 burned out the PCI slot.

I'm sick of this bullshit and sick of shysters and thieves. Your idiocy gets no sympathy.

Die in a ditch, fucking indian cocksucker.

>average of 80
Try 88 and over 100w if you OC

How shit must a contact be for it to fail under a mere 200watt stress?
Really, it have to be some manufacture flaw to let such a shitty contact to pass their QC.

Normal overdraw is power spikes not sustained 80W.
Also the spec is 5.5A. Not 75W.

You'd have to be mental to buy this turd when custom boards are something that will exist. And maybe those won't have a retarded power delivery system and shitty cooler. I know reference cards are bad, but this takes the cake for the shittiest one I've ever seen.

>mere 200w stress
It's rated for 75w ....

>pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480

>read this
>still buy a reference 480

you're the only one to blame

i'm waiting for partner PCBs' with 8pin connector

JUST DON'T BUY REFERENCE YOU FUCK, WHO BUYS REFERENCE, JUST GET A THIRD PARTY ONE YOU CUNTS IT'S LITERALLY NO BIG DEAL REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

heat doesn't have a wattage user, if heat doesn't disperse quickly enough and builds up your mobo will fail. Especially if it's using cheap solder which microsoft found out hard with the x360

The 750ti review linked here
Shows a card with no 6-pin which consistently overdraws PCI-e spec. They even OCd it about 20%, but in true good Guru3D fashion didn't measure power draw after that.

Where as the outrage? The fried boards? Where in the review did they even hint that going over 75w is a problem?

If the spec is only 5.5A how in the world do they provision a spec of 75W from the mainboard and 75w from the 6-pin?
You're an idiot.

>20%+ delta on the allowed ampere is no problem you guys

ok

>It's a poorfag card
>don't buy the poorfag version

The mental gymnastics are astounding.