/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/bash/
wiki.bash-hackers.org/
grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls
pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt
google.github.io/styleguide/shell.xml
commandlinefu.com/
shellcheck.net/
explainshell.com/
ubuntu.com/download/how-to-verify
netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Test_your_changes
spotify.com/de/download/linux/
youtube.com/watch?v=vU-mKsQLWXQ
stackoverflow.com/questions/22902213/all-in-one-unarchive-bash-script-linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for SATYA NUTELLA

> Shell pasta:

The based GNU Bourne Again SHell:
gnu.org/software/bash/

The community driven BASH wiki:
wiki.bash-hackers.org/

The Grymoire - home for UNIX wizards:
grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

Greg's (also known as GreyCat's) wiki:
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

SED and AWK; your new best friends:
pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt

Google's Shell Style Guide:
google.github.io/styleguide/shell.xml

The Linux Command Line - A Book By William Shotts:

Interesting, useful and dangerous one-liners:
commandlinefu.com/

Great online (and offline) linting tool:
shellcheck.net/

Know what you are doing:
explainshell.com/

I'm looking for an overly user friendly distro. I'm moving abroad and to keep in touch with my grandma I am going to leave her my old thinkpad.

So anything a granny might understand?

Just get a windows-look-alike DE like Mate, Cinnamon, etc.

Mint

>recommending a distro that blocks updates so it doesn't fall apart

The thing is that she isn't even used to windows, she literally haven't used computers since the commodore 64 when it was needed for her lab work.

I think she can wrap her head around that. There's even a fair looking translation. I'll check it out, thank you.

I don't think grandma will mind.

What's a good vim emulator for Firefox?

ubuntu.com/download/how-to-verify

First of all, shouldn't this be https?

But mostly, why does a basic guide "assume basic knowledge" of exactly what the guide is for?

Is there a way to tell something like cut to cut from the nth occurrence of a character to the nth+1 occurrence?

I use VimFX, since it's pretty simple and I can disable everything except for link following.

Already found it myself, was a lot easier than I thought.

>change kernel command line in kernel config
>make
>"new" kernel still has the old one
How the fuck do I fix this without using make clean and recompiling the dumb fucker completely?

If you dual-boot GNU/Linux and Windows, and want to have big volumes of your data available to both OSes, are the only solutions to use Ext4 with Ext2fsd on Windows or NTFS with ntfslibs on GNU/Linux? As far as I know, both these software were kind of thrown together. Which way is the best?

Sorry, didn't mean to link this post.

NTFS is shit on Linux. If you want to share between them you can use exfat for Windows and some FUSE shit for Linux for read/write support on it. Really though you should be setting up a Linux server with NFS and Samba shares instead.

Well, I only have one PC. Is setting up another PC for my anime just so serve them through NFS/Samba really smarter than using NTFS? Because that seems like taking a really long path for something so simple.

Why hasn't anyone worked on a good ntfs library for Linux yet anyway? Seriously, this seems like a pretty huge deal.

There is no good writing to NTFS volumes from Linux. The documentation that Microsoft released for NTFS is shit, so no one wants to fuck with it.
>Is setting up another PC for my anime just so serve them through NFS/Samba
I can use my Samba/NFS share from anywhere in my house. The only issues I had with playing video were from the read speeds on my platter HDDs, but I haven't looked into options for improving performance on the shares. SSDs load everything perfectly. If you only have 1 PC then I don't see why you wouldn't just run Linux in a VM anyways, and you can even set that up for network shares pretty easily with Virtualbox with bridged adapters.

Oh it's password day, password day, glorious changing-passwords-day

How often do you change your passwords, /fglt/? How do you choose yours? How many do you have? How do you remember them?

I change mine every 3 months. Keep them in a keepassx database.
> SIM card PIN
4 random numbers. Don't reboot phone that often, therefore don't use it much, therefore can't remember it easy, can't look it up without the phone if I'm not at home. Chance of someone spying it relatively low because seldom used.
> phone screen lock / encryption
Needs to be easily typable, therefore numbers only. Generated as a pronouncable lowercase/numbers phrase (16 characters), then just typed on the number keys, so e.g. wiokafubbona3636 becomes 9465238226623636. Same unlock number for tablet and phone.
> misc. websites and personal email
16 random upper/lower/numbers without lookalike characters. Can always copypaste them. No lookalikes because occasionally need them on PCs that are not my own -> have to manually type them
> pc decryption / login (home/work, also work email)
Four random words generated with diceware. Need something I can easily memorize since I use them often and don't want to pull my phone out every time, can't copypaste them. Need to be secure because lots of data on them, therefore 4 words. 5 would be better but that's for...
> passwords database
5 diceware-generated words. Commit to memory.

I keep the pc logins, phone unlocks and database password on a piece of paper seperate from the devices, all on one piece of paper and without context to minimize the risk of someone figuring out what they're for. Only use this when I have an absolute blackout and can't get into any of my devices.

Is there a good, small HTTP server that I can use? Python is shit and throws exceptions when I try to download from it with these new Dell workstations.

Just use NTFS. You just have to disable secure boot and fast boot on windows so it doesn't shit itself.
Alternative is to use two partitions on windows and only share the one with your memes.

How do I configure a Gentoo VM kernel so that it takes the least space possible (while still being functional)?

I already do that but it'd be nice not to lose 1TB of movies and anime because GNU/Linux's only NTFS driver was coded in an afternoon by some random dude.

Maybe I should switch to ExFAT as I was suggested.

Is there a known free solution to convert NTFS to ExFAT without losing data?

I guess if I don't get a better solution, I can just buy a cheap computer to make a server out of it. I know a place that often has old office computers for less than $100.

I just hate the idea of having to boot it and log in everytime I want to use my anime. and I'm not a security expert so I'm a little scared of leaving a computer running 24h/7 at my home.

Just set it up with a hardened kernel and keep it updated. If you're really paranoid, I used to block everything but port 22 on the file server and used my VM (host only adapter) to port forward traffic from the Samba ports to the server through SSH.

Is it possible to set up a Linux server entirely remotely, without ever connecting a monitor and keyboard to it? I'm talking including the installation process.

Yeah, but it's more trouble than it's worth. I spent the last 3 days setting up an initramfs that I could gpxe boot and it's for my headless cluster nodes. If you set up a custom live image or network bootable image that starts sshd then you wouldn't need anything but a network connection.
My server is headless and managed through SSH, but if something fucks up when I update the kernel I need to plug a graphics card and keyboard into it to fix it, or remove the SSD and boot from the backup USB drive that's in it.

Okay. I'm getting a workstation with integrated graphics if I go through with that plan, that's for sure.

Thanks for the advice!

What distro/DE works best for 2-in-1 laptops? As in it'll flip around when it's supposed to and it recognizes all inputs?

>Debian stable live ISO crashes at log in
Never again.

How stable is funtoo?

My arch install has started booting without sound.

When it boots i open alsamixer and it has MM so i press m and it has 00, which is unmuted i belive. the problem is there is still no sound, and before i startx it gives some weird prompt about my usb so i unplug everything like my webcam bc it has before auto selected it as a soundcard, which caused the problem but if i boot into it without it plugged in why am i not getting sound. i looked through the wiki and stuff and i dont think anyone else had this problem, everyone jus unmuted it and it worked so why not me ;_;

>pic not related

Now this is shitposting.

Why so?

netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0

WE 2% NOW!

It hasn't even begun.
Vulkan will help it, paying for Windows 10 will help it, more awareness of spying will help it, etc.

do you unmute every single column?

Do you increase the volumen?

This is fucking outdated, ntfs has been fine on Linux for years

>good ntfs library for Linux
ntfs-3g

So i sold my gaymin PC and got a memebook for my chinese cartoons.

I have an old rig still working with 4GB of RAM, an AMD X2 with like 3TB of spare disks and i was thinking in installing GNU/loonix and dual boot Windows for some software (like CiscoPT). Which distro do you recommend? my goal is learning general computing and stop being a pleb.

Opensuse? any Ubuntu derivative?

i do exactly that and still no sound whatsever

chrunchbang maybe. if youre feeling deteremined go with arch so you really do have to figure shit out

>ntfs has been fine on Linux for years
>read through NTFS docs for Linux
>>don't write files, or if you write a file you can only write to a file the exact size of the destination file

have you tried:
>speaker-test
?
here the info
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Test_your_changes

try :
>aplay -l

and then

speaker-test -D whatevercard

i did actually try speaker-test and got feedback. ill try aplay next ty

>Linux Desktop
Will never happen, except torvalds implements a DE.

DELET THIS

by feedback you mean that annoying sound ?

yea, and as i played i even opened something like a song on youtube but nothing came out

I'm not sure I understand your grammar.

So speaker-test works, but youtube dont?

What if you play a .mp3 or a video file with mplayer , mpv or vlc?

So what does /fglt/ think that Slackware is now updated to 14.2?

Why would my browsers (both Mozilla based) tab through links on a webpage? It's as if I press the tab button and each hyperlink gets that dotted border one by one with about 10second intervals. It's annoying because it seems to scroll to the top of the page and sometimes disable some keys.

Assuming this isn't a Trojan, what could this be? I'm on trisquel with gnome (Ubuntu based)

>chrunchbang
Why not Debain?

Googled and its a discontinued distro, maybe ill go for Debian. Spotify will werk easy right?

bunsenlabs

so I have a problem and I don't know how to fix it pic related.

i'm losing some functionality by not having the graphic drivers on. if i turn them on after rebooting i get no output from the screen i.e. completely black

how do i fix this? from what ive read it is a pretty common issue

>Spotify will werk easy right?

spotify for Linux is released as a debian paackage so yes

more information spotify.com/de/download/linux/

dont use noveau

delete any xorg configs you have

How did you updated all packages (including kernel) in gentoo? I can't remember.

I have a Skylake laptop and on Windows I can use Intel Extreme Utility to undervolt both the GPU and the CPU by a certain mV offset. Can I do the same on Linux?

Crunchbang

i've been literally using ubuntu for a week, if you could please elaborate otherwise i wont understand

emerge -ihavenothingtodoforthenext3dayssoletsupdate

Hi Sup Forums I need an answer, a SMTube update says that xserver-xorg-lts-vivid will be uninstalled. Is that safe?

>vivid
lmao

I finally switched to linux and would like to know some recommended programs, preferably GUI and with a lot of options

-Best File Manager
-Best way to make Deb. fonts better
-CLI tool for tar with automatic options (i.e. xvzf) , forgot the name

-Best File Manager
a bash console
-Best way to make Deb. fonts better
idk
-CLI tool for tar with automatic options (i.e. xvzf) , forgot the name

tar

(you)

How do I fix ugly fonts in chrome?

I'm writing a bash script. I want the script to use some files in the same directory as the script file itself is in. Can I just refer to "./some_file.txt" in the script, or do I need to specify the full path?

How would i go as to replacing windows with something like Arch. I'm use to using windows for gaming but have grown tired of it, and since windows 10 is licensed to me and shit i'd be able to go back any time of course, anyways, how would i go as to doing that, like, fully getting rid of windows and installing something like Arch, and also, which SHOULD i use, arch, what linux distro.

Maybe this should go in SQT, but why does the 'eth0' section of ifconfig display RX/TX bytes when my ethernet isn't plugged in?

sure
or just "somefile.txt"

>spacefm
>infinality
>ihavenocluewhatyoumeanusersync

I used to have a cli command that automatically extracted tar files to a folder, it was just like,
> command (file)
and it extracted it with no options

7z -x $1

Debian with KDE
Download the iso and burn it

just chuck alias untar="tar -xvzf" in your .bashrc or whatever.

what is a good distro that has nvidia drivers on their repository like Arch?

Arch

i need an alternative because shitty driver support/glitches on my laptop

How will changing distro fix that?

i believe its distro specific because theres no bugs on ubuntu

How can I install my cd/dvd rom in my thinkpad? I installed debian 8 with a usb. What are the correct commands to be able to do this through the terminal?

chaces are is ready to use.

just put a cd/dvd, mount it (if no autmount) and do whatever you need.

heh

I tried, but it only gave me the loption to burn it, not to play it.

youtube.com/watch?v=vU-mKsQLWXQ

>lsblk
it will tell you the device name. (is the one with type rom)

first check if is already mounted:
>mount
look for something like:
> /dev/{yourdevicename} on /media/something

If is not mounted:

>mount /dev/{devicename} /media/dvd

You may have to create the dir /media/dvd.

pd: dont write the {}

With the debian non free isos, when you install does all the firmware not related to your particular computer get installed or just the stuff you need? Think I only have wifi drivers but it's a pain to deal with when it doesn't work.

Thanks user, its working now.

good, always glad to help

How would I go about installing gentoo on my c720 chromebook? Not sure which kernel modules I need to include.

Okay noob question: How do I enable the shortcut command for the terminal, aka Ctrl + Alt +T. I am on debian, and it doesn't to work. I tried looking on keyboard, and couldn't find it.

You can add the following function to .bashrc:
function extract {
if [ -z "$1" ]; then
# display usage if no parameters given
echo "Usage: extract ."
else
if [ -f $1 ] ; then
NAME=${1%.*}
mkdir $NAME && cd $NAME
case $1 in
*.tar.bz2) tar xvjf ../$1 ;;
*.tar.gz) tar xvzf ../$1 ;;
*.tar.xz) tar xvJf ../$1 ;;
*.lzma) unlzma ../$1 ;;
*.bz2) bunzip2 ../$1 ;;
*.rar) unrar x -ad ../$1 ;;
*.gz) gunzip ../$1 ;;
*.tar) tar xvf ../$1 ;;
*.tbz2) tar xvjf ../$1 ;;
*.tgz) tar xvzf ../$1 ;;
*.zip) unzip ../$1 ;;
*.Z) uncompress ../$1 ;;
*.7z) 7z x ../$1 ;;
*.xz) unxz ../$1 ;;
*.exe) cabextract ../$1 ;;
*) echo "extract: '$1' - unknown archive method" ;;
esac
else
echo "$1 - file does not exist"
fi
fi
}

Source: stackoverflow.com/questions/22902213/all-in-one-unarchive-bash-script-linux

it depends on your window manager / DE.

My window manager is GNOME 3.

Try reading the install guide and wiki.

IDK but
>alt + f2
is quasi universal, not to launch a terminal but a "laucher" so you just write the name of your favorite terminal, or program to be launched.

You should have a "easy to use" gui tool to set shortcuts then.