omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/linux-marketshare-reaches-2-percent

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WE DID IT /R/LINUX

HOLY GNU 2016 CONFIRMED YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

Not gonna happen.

Calm your autistic asses down.

Wow we finally have more marketshare than windows vista.

kinpatsu !

>article mostly consisting of caveats to that number

[X] servers
[X] mobile devices
[ ] desktops

T H E Y E A R O F L I N U X
H
E Y E A R

thank you Windows 10

Kek

Toppest of keks

Getting nervous here - after it passes 3% by 2025 will it start getting mainstream? What if it's at 4% by 2030?

1% was the sweet spot, and this may be bad for Linux as a platform.

>About 1 percent of the world population has autism spectrum disorder. ( CDC, 2014)
Prevalence in the United States is estimated at 1 in 68 births. ( CDC, 2014) Aug 26, 2015

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Chortled.
Nice trips.

Fine, except nobody's using desktop computers anymore, didn't you get the memo?

Cool. I want Linux's share to increase. Competition is good.

Lots of normies continue to use laptops. So does the OP include laptops?

God fucking dammit, now the normies will bring botnets and spyware even to muh linux

This is why i tell normies to start with either arch or slackware, to prevent this from fucking happening

year of the linux desktop is coming fuck yeah

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as desktops is in fact, GNU/desktops, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus desktops. desktops is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “desktops”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a desktops, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
desktops is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. desktops is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with desktops added, or GNU/desktops. All the so-called “desktops” distributions are really distributions of GNU/desktops.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella nigga nigga ching chang raviolini paella

I think Linux on the desktop has a lot more potential in the developing world, where removing the cost of a Windows license on computers makes them a lot more affordable. The government of India has already endorsed Linux (pic related).

>Linux created in 1991
>took 25 years to get to 2% market share
Just you Winfags wait until we get to 3716. Your empire will finally fall.

when i compare, all the hussles & tweaking in the 90-ties, needed to get some kernel 1.3 / 2.o.35 GNU/Linux up & running, on some Pentium1/24 MB ram or on classicAmiga_12oo 68o40/PowerPC_G2 hybridSymetricMultiprocessing; nowDays allmost every localised desktop distros (Mint, simplyMepis, AntiX, ubuntu,...) which i put in multiBoot, during gnuFeministic & cyberFeministic advocacy & activism, to new folk, who look for help inSide & outSide of a hackLab, i can say: -GNU/Linux is easier & less time consuming to install (halfAnHour per distro, compared to a day to patch, protect (fireWall), driverSolve & userLand (apps) equip any winblou$) -GNU/Linux is easier to use -- all the techical details are hidden from common desktop user, & left to root/admin realm...to the point that some desktop distros have their terminal/shell dissabled.. :) (control panels & centers reigns... :) ) -GNU/Linux saves time in general -- my estimate is 80 % after full switch (support) -you are on the legal side -- no cracking -one can recycle way old hw -- Pent2 / 64-256 MB ram with AntiX (exception to above is maybe hw egsotics like Debian GNU/Linux on new dual or Quad c0re Power6 AmigaOne x1ooo or x5ooo/4o 2.4 GHz :) & other non x86 hw like ARM/rasperyPi or the like. ) ...recently, we had an interesting phenomenon with g33ks in hackLab: experienced Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, arch,... powerUsers figured that, staying on a bleedeng rollingRelease tweakingTheLast edge "as-per-se" has no point any more, & that leaving developers, betaTesters, maintainers & packagers job is better to outSource to the people that do that things the best, so they switching to versionin "newbie" distros... :) ...actualy now than ever, it is more a question of psichologycal, sociologycal...maybe culture acceptance; than technical excelence.

>God fucking dammit, now the normies will bring botnets and spyware even to muh linux
Yeah that's what you tell yourself, but deep down we all know you just want to be a special snowflake and people using GNU/Linux will take away the hipster edge to it.

Pretty sure MS will do that when they move to kill themselves much like Adobe.

YEAR OF GNU/LINUX DESKTOP 2020

How do we even know the marketshare of anything considering all you tinfoilhats disable all anonymous telemetry features?

>developing world
>The government of India has already endorsed Linux (pic related).

they should call it
POONIX

>He leaves telemetry on
I bet you use proprietary firmware you cuck

>Yeah that's what you tell yourself, but deep down we all know you just want to be a special snowflake and people using GNU/Linux will take away the hipster edge to it.

That's what's so great about Linux, even when normies start using Ubuntu, you can always use a riced wm arch just to keep pretending you're 1337

POO IN THE GNU

If I can't fix my Windoze install on my gayming rig without reinstalling (looking like it because Win10 too hard) I think I will just put Debian on it and maybe run Windows on a VM (maybe). Windows has gotten so ridiculous... I used to love computers so much, I knew how to fix so much shit on XP, not with Windows I just get frustrated because honestly GNU/Linux is simpler 8/10 times.

With shit like Ubuntu there is little to no reason for running Winblows for someone like me. I don't NEED to run any specific software. It will suck not having my nice vidya, but it's starting to seem worthwhile.

lmao

I can't wait for GPL software to take the great majority of the market share so that we're all out of jobs because no software is ever traded for money anymore

WIndows 10 is finished

>what is Red Hat

Have you worked for a company that makes software with telemetry?

I do right now.

Nobody looks at your usage data as an individual. No one has the time to care about you as a special snowflake.

Telemetry is literally about this:
>QA finds a problem with a specific feature
>It seems hard to fix and a low user path
>Ask the guy in charge of telemetry how much that feature is used
>Nobody does
>It gets phased out.

Leaving telemetry on basically ensures you are represented as a user and that the features you use are valued by the developers.

Yeah I'm still opting out
I can't guarantee the feds won't seize the data for their use

This.
GPL is complete communist cancer for the software industry.
>muh red hat
Some companies simply can't afford to profit only with support.

>Nobody looks at your usage data as an individual. No one has the time to care about you as a special snowflake.
until the company gets hacked and the database is sold or published

It doesn't matter because telemetry databases don't contain personally identifiable information. For example, on Google Analytics, your user file is identified by an indecipherable hash of your IP.

They always state what data they collect in their request. A lot of the time there is nothing in there that could be possibly interesting to the feds.

Y E A R O F L I N U X D E S K T O P

>trust us goy, er guy

when you confuse jew conspiracies with police state conspiracies, it's time to return to

WorldOfLinux.org

>implying the Jew meme isn't about greed
>implying greed for money and greed for power are not actually the same
>implying you can get billions of dollar without power

Are you actually trying to argue M$ is not after total control of the desktop? Are you actually trying to argue telemetry is not used to show you ads tailored to your interests? Are you seriously gonna sit there and pretend M$ is not mining your data to profit from it?

>>>tumblr

This includes ChromeBooks?

thanks snaps

Fuck off stalman ya fat commie douche.

android is not linux

chromebooks dont run android

android is not BSD either

underrated

There is no reason to install windows in an actual hardware

Then maybe "some companies" ought to either go bankrupt or revise their business models.

>shit girl
>shit show

Look I want Linux to succeed as a desktop OS I really do.

I despise Microsoft...Apple isn't much better but osx is tied to hardware (unless hackintosh but that an entire new can of worms) and Google hasn't done enough yet.

That being said here is precisely why nobody uses Linux...I'm linking to a photonic review of the and rx 480. You'll notice when it discusses installation absolutely nowhere does it either state the following 2 options.

-Insert disc and run easy software to install drivers.
-download single driver file from website and run easy software to install drivers.

These are to be completely frank the only reasonable options. If you can not run exactly ONE thing to install a gpu something is tragically wrong.

Here is the link. You'll notice this task in Linux is FAR more complicated than the only 2 good options.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=2

Installation is discussed on pages 2 and 3. And it's simply too much for a typical user. There is absolutely zero reason for this.

And this is not an isolated incident. Linux is absolutely riddled with shit like this. And yes it may be simple for us here at Sup Forums but this is unacceptable for end users who simply do not have time for crap like this. For most normal users this is a nightmare scenario.

So yes while I'd love to use and support Linux it's lack of ease currently means I will neither use it not recommend it to others. Its rather tragic honestly.

It is simply not simple enough yet. Maybe back in the day sure but these days I have a wife, kids and a career. I have no time to waste with anything that isn't designed to be fuck stupid simple.

The user is there to get shit done. Nothing else. And if there is ANY difficulty with a basic task then it is simply not worth it.

When I can insert and run a disc, or download ONE file...run it and call it done with zero complications then and only then will I use Linux.

It is misleading to describe the users of free software, or the software users in general, as a “market.”

This is not to say there is no room for markets in the free software community. If you have a free software support business, then you have clients, and you trade with them in a market. As long as you respect their freedom, we wish you success in your market.

But the free software movement is a social movement, not a business, and the success it aims for is not a market success. We are trying to serve the public by giving it freedom—not competing to draw business away from a rival. To equate this campaign for freedom to a business's efforts for mere success is to deny the importance of freedom and legitimize proprietary software.

And you just explained what's wrong with Linux.

Nothing to gain and nothing at stake. A disorganized mess with little accountability. And no real reason to address criticism or accept feedback.

And worse still nobody will get their precious feels hurt when they screw up.

Hence the only Linux success being in the server business world where people are held to account properly.

But if you're not after success in that regard then it doesn't matter. But as to the opinions you're responding to (or brushing aside in this case) the answer is nobody cares about your social movement. They just want a Windows alternative...and there isn't one.

People simply wish Linux was something it isn't. But it's the only thing they have outside of Windows with any promise so you can hardly blame them for clinging to the idea of a competitor to microsuck.

The tragedy of Linux.

With the pile of shit known as Windows 10 being pushed on most non-Linux users, does it really surprise anyone that Linux's marketshare is rising?

I always thought the whole year of the Linux desktop thing was retarded, but if there's anything to actually make it happen, it's Windows 10.

If only we could be so lucky...but win 10 has the only advantage that counts.

Its really fucking easy to use.

Why is this wrong? What's the problem?

Stop calling it Linux if you don't mean the kernel. Jesus christ.

You're actually autistic aren't you? Like in a non Sup Forums meme kinda way.

People have called Linux based operating systems Linux for fucking years. Get over it you goddamned autist.

He's actually right.
's response it referring to Linux as operating system and a social movement, but it isn't. Linux is just a kernel of the GNU system, made by Linux Torvalds, who doesn't give a shit about the free software movement and actually aims for market share.

Telemetry is about feature usage. The personal information used for targetted ads goes deeper than that. We are not talking about telemetry anymore if we're talking about shit like keylogging or reading emails or analyzing search queries.

>barely 2%
HOLY SHIT CALL THE FUCKING PRESIDENT!

Wasn't me who said that
Some Sup Forumsfag is pretending to be me