Blink and Beep Doesn't Work on Linux Shell Anymore

Sup Forumsentlemen,

I have a question: Anyone know why blink or beep doesn't work anymore in the modern versions of shell (Bash, in the actual distros)?

Thank you in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/151673/attrona-blink-using-ncurses-does-nothing
encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=urxvt blinking text
encrypted.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&btnG=Search&q=gnome-terminal blinking text
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It works fine in bash. The problem is that 99% of distros no longer load the actual beep module.

You need to manually load the module and then beep will work.

Thank you by your answer about the beep problem. I will investigate.

And, by the way, do you know about the blink problem too? Like:

echo -e "\033[5mBlinking text\033[0m"

doesn't work anymore in Bash.

bump

>blink or beep
First thing I get rid of in a new install.
OP is some kind of hyperfag

>blink and bleep
The language you Linuxfags use confuses me more and more every day

I think I found my (partial) answer about the blink problem in shell:

It doesn't work on gnome terminal (still don't know why). I switched to xterm and it works fine.

Thank you everyone in advance.

"sowy" :D

check if there's an option that filters it out

Thank you. I'm trying to find it too.

>It doesn't work on gnome terminal (still don't know why).
Weird, it works in my Gnome Terminal, yet , there's no setting for it. Never noticed that before.

Linux has not shell, retard.
(Will Sup Forums ever learn?)

And you can it (Bash) what?

Mysterious problems that only a no-end number of Linux distributions can bring to you. Caos always come in tiny pieces, bit by bit :D

Because they're annoying as fuck, mainly, so most distros and terminals default them off.

bash isn't the terminal you fucking idiot

And you call it (Bash) what? (sorry for the previous error)

>blink and bleep
>fizzbuzz
>ganoo slash leenucks
>grub
>feh
>sudo pacman

Linux language.

Considering you NOT a Troll (and you don't understand all the conversation above) I will answer (shortly) your question:

Shell -> Bash, sh, csh, zsh (and so on)
Terminal (emulations) -> Gnome terminal, xterm, uxterm (and so on)

And to all Sup Forumsentlemen

What you think about Xon.sh? Its written in Python. Anyone already tested it?

I think you responded to the wrong person?

Sorry Sup Forumsentlaman. A lot of work here and I made some mistakes (and a lot of typing errors too) :D

And seeing it now I think it really was for you. But I will redact it:

I think when I talk about Bash it was implicit I was talking about using Bash through a terminal emulation. I just short things out. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But bash literally has nothing to do with it. You could run any shell you want, or even no shell at all. It wouldn't influence your terminal's ability to render blinking text or not...

Why even mention bash? It's useless information that neither describes your problem nor brings you closer to a solution. Why not just name the terminal instead?

Like,
>And, by the way, do you know about the blink problem too? Like:
>echo -e "\033[5mBlinking text\033[0m"
>doesn't work anymore in INSERT_TERMINAL_EMULATOR_HERE.
would have been a perfectly valid post

but instead of posting the only relevant thing, you go ahead and show signs of general confusion around all things terminal. What the hell?

He's gotta learn somehow user, and if he doesn't wanna read documentation on anything, he may as well be forced to see any misconceptions that he may have.

I don't think it was a confusion on any level. I was trying to figure out a problem and I was thinking the same could be on Bash (and not on the terminal per se). I found out a clue about the real problem (and the real troubleshooting direction) in a cross search long after I start the thread, in a topic about ncurses:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/151673/attrona-blink-using-ncurses-does-nothing

Don't assume people will always know what to do, or what to point out to the correct path from the start before try for help to better understand the problem. And I think I was fortunate enough to find out this clue in the middle of our discussion in this thread. After all I didn't stop to try to search (in parallel) an answer even in the middle of this conversation.

Have you tried googling “ blinking text”?

encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=urxvt blinking text
or
encrypted.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&btnG=Search&q=gnome-terminal blinking text

Continuing from Google has all the answers... but we need to know how to ask first :^)

Yes, as I describe it in Thank you by your consideration.

although note that 9 out of 10 results you find will be about people asking how to disable it

Try searching in Google:

"blinking text issues + TERMNAME + ncurses + DISTRO"

No quotes.

Leave the all the + signs there as well.

I'm working on it right now :) I'll try to find out if it is a:

1 - problem or;
2 - configuration or;
3 - limitation

in the Gnome terminal, as I will try to find out too if it is a matter of version, distribution, and so on.

Than you user.

And as I said before, I'm in the middle of my work and things can take some time to achieve in this search, but I (hope) will find out about this "issue" a.s.a.p..

Ouch... Thanks by the tip user.

Thank you user.