Why do all the top engineers use macbooks?

Linus Torvalds, Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerburg , Ben Zhao

All my idols seem to use them. I always thought macbooks were overpriced and overrated by lib arts people , but after seeing everyone using them , II'm considering buying one.

Doesn't Torovoldos use a Pixel now?

Sigh...

Nice thread, user...

Thx

> Top Engineer
> Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg
Nice try, shill

Nice idols bro

also tcpip and www inventors

What laptop does he use?

> Worrying about what computers other people use
> Not realizing apple gave it to them for free
user, these people are not great because they decided, at one point in their lives, to use macs

Piece of shit from 2005.

>but after seeing everyone using them , II'm considering buying one.
why don't you do some research and make a decision based on that instead of blindly picking the same hardware someone else uses?

I'm doing that now.

What are the benefits? I want to figure out why so many top engineers use macbooks

But if I was a billionaire and I could buy any computer in the world like Musk or Zuckerburg , why choose a Mac?.

They have solid build quality and mediocre components for their price. But there's not much competition in that market. The only alternatives are business class laptops, which are even more overpriced.

>What are the benefits?
It just werks
The hardware, while overpriced, is still pretty nice quality
Good warranty/support

If I were a billionaire, I am sure I would have better things to do than worry about which laptop was better. But that being said, posix compliant is pretty comfy. Or you can just install le fedora like torvalds.

Linus is the only one of those that actually writes code and he used a Macbook briefly and got rid of it. He switched to a Sony Vaio and now a Pixel.

I thought he used openSuse.

Torvalds got rid of his because it was shit.

Ok, so since you're wrong (Zuck was a programmer, Zhao was, too) i have to ask --

what other things have you assumed in your life?

I remember torvalds say he got it because it had a quiet fan.

> Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerburg , Ben Zhao
none of these people have an engineering degree
they are business people aka "suits"
and really do not know jack about computers

Zuch made a PHP disaster and stopped programming over a decade ago. All the original Facebook engineers and even Zuck himself have admitted that the original code was absolute garbage.

Ben Zhao also stopped writing real code over a decade ago and admitted as much in his HN interview.

Musk programs a bit too

Ben Zhao is computer science prof.

Because, when you need to get shit done you need a stable system and a unix terminal.

There are exceptions but professors typically write atrocious code.

if you're advertising the product, by using the product publicly, your organization gets discounts on the product

apple, cisco, ti
this isn't new

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro and used to program on it. It was pretty nice once I got it set up, but setting it was a bitch for some stuff. I wouldn't recommend dropping $1300 for a new one especially with all the changes made to them. The chiclet keys are god awful.

He does.

Apple doesn't really have a quality high end laptop anymore. I couldn't replace my 2012 Macbook Pro even if I wanted to.

Torvalds uses a Chromebook Pixel now.

Because its unix underneath and everyone is lazy

all of the jobs I've interviewed for that paid like 100k+ (not bay or nyc), the engineers all have macbooks

I work in a buisness that mainlines mac products over Apple, and really the breakdown is like this:
PROS:
>bash shell means great integration with most linux distros, especially redhat/centos
>less intuitive structure means that it is hard for casual or common users to fuck shit up, due to complications in moving in the directory structure
>brand support means all of your apple products talk to each other, regardless of platform
>simple, and pretty, easy for elderly, and children to pick up due to freindly gui.

CONS
>while relativley secure, no DOD contractors will use it because of uncle sam's security guidelines
>apple owns your ass, and calls all the shots. Laptops and most desktop models no longer come with cd drices, you have to buy one seperate, also buy into the lightning bolt connector meme. Expect the mac not to have the physical plugs you want
>bluetooth everything, not a lot of security in your transmit data
>if you want service for anything, apple stores and mac 'geniuses' for everything, so more apple pushing brand and brand prices down your throat and wallet.
>chinese everything, unlike windows that contracts to multiple manufacturers like dell and hp, apple has just apple. Artificial inflation and monopoly pricing.

Picture illustrates Apple's hunger for money

Musk is a physicist.

>linus thorvalds
>top engineers

Are you fucking serious?

What are you talking about? Of course they do, it's the 15" MacBook Pro.

> 3 year old hardware with massive heating problems when under load

No.

>apple owns your ass, and calls all the shots. Laptops and most desktop models no longer come with cd drices, you have to buy one seperate, also buy into the lightning bolt connector meme. Expect the mac not to have the physical plugs you want
CD drives are basically useless in 2016 and THUNDERBOLT is not a meme. It's Intel's project and basically the successor to Firewire.
>bluetooth everything
Uh, no. What?

Well if you want to believe Sup Forums memes, go ahead.

>was
Are you literally so dumb that I need to point out the past tense?

Linus switch to a Sony VAIO though.

Because they got those macs for free from Apple so they can carry them around and show it off. Free shilling.

Poo in the fucking loo Rajeesh.

He hasn't worked in physics since he graduated. He mostly does engineering stuff

>zuckerberg
>top engineers
I see what you did there!

When you actually produce content you want your tools to just werk; you don't want be distracted and waste your precious time by having to spend hours troubleshooting software and/or hardware.

If you guys ever actually created anything for a living you would know why successful people use macbooks.

He is. Facebook is a top site. I wonder which laptop m00t uses?

Falls for bandwagon meme

2 rupees have been deposited in your shit wiping hands Pajeet!

I had one and had to have the motherboard replaced 3 times due to heating issues. After the third two week long repair without a replacement laptop I said fuck it and bought a thinkpad x240.

>having your time be more valuable than your money

Clearly you don't understand the demographics of Sup Forums.

I believe moot used at shitty Dell at one point. I recall a really goofy angled picture of him outside with one in his lap.

Now that he works at Google who knows? Probably something nice.

All laptops are shitty. Macbook Pros are less shitty than most. Macbook is unmatched for aesthetic design quality, but there are others with just as good of build quality (or better):
Some Lenovo Thinkpad lines
Panasonic Toughbook
Dell Rugged
Arguably HP Elitebook and Getac as well.

from > Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

>Mark Zuckerburg
Goddammit. Lost hard.

I'm guessing you had one of the ones with the G92 chips or whichever.

haha this

He uses a Libre Thinkpad X60 with Trisquel GNU/Linux.

Thinkpad T60
Lemote YeeLong is a friend of freedoms too

>Macbook is unmatched for aesthetic design quality,
Aesthetic is one thing I couldn't give a flying fuck about. If it isn't fucking hot, and I can easily replace parts and not have to deal with soldered RAM and bullshit from Apple, I'll take it. But I love Thinkpads for how easy they are to work on.

Fuck form over function.

>reality is a meme

Mactards everyone.

>unix terminal

a hodgepodge of outdated downstream versions, gnu & freebsd mix of fuckery.

brew install coreutils

Will Ubuntu for Windows be better then homebrew?

As of yesterday, If you repair your own apple product, Apple can sue the shit out of you.

In most corporate environments that support both Windows and Macs the Macs are usually not as badly locked down and you should use them if you get the choice.

Tfw NSAsoft is gonna kill the freetard movement

Elon Musk usés Dell

there are ways to mitm the app store in a broken attempt at local repos. you can be effectively limited in your "not as badly locked down" software choices.

>As of yesterday, If you repair your own apple product, Apple can sue the shit out of you.
Read it again.
I don't see ifixit.com (lately macfixit.com) going out of business.
All I see is some desperate blogger straining for free publicity, which Sup Forums gives him without a thought.

OSX almost doesnt have GNU aids except.of that OS who lacks a good editor.

>caring about the last procesdor on a consumer laptop
>in fucking 2016
I bet you're a muh gaymen kid.

I thought he switch again to some regular brand ultrabook like a Vaio. He was really just on the macbook air for the (mostly) fanless operation and on the pixel for the high-res screen, and lots of laptops have those features now.

>mactoddler runs out of arguments
>goes back to spewing memes

Fuck off retard.

Oh, the bismuth.

you're right. they've phased out over time, but they're still behind on stuff life pf and openssh, which I'm sure they don't patch themselves.

>using Fedora GNU/Linux on a mac

>NSAsoft is gonna kill the freetard movement
if anything Canonical will

Just because Mark loves money doesn't mean he isn't smart.

100 poos deposited in your loo, Pajeet.

Because everyone else has one. Yes, that is the actual answer. Almost all very successful people are either really smart, or can fit in really well. The ones that have household names often are both.

I would imagine it all started with the iPhone 3, and nobody ever changed because there really isn't a reason to. As you move up in the ladder, everyone has Apple products, and they poke fun at you if you don't have them.

You try doing any instrumentation programming in a research lab in academia or industry with your toy. If you use small proprietary software for data analysis of if the company slaps something together for you, it will most likely be Windows only and trying to use it with parallels will wreck you. Also connectivity. Had a laptop that could actually use an express slot adapter to communicate with an xray detector.

>this is what tyrone actually believes

Let's take the bait. Why wouldn't he be in that list? The guy is the author of the only competitor kernel in whole OS business. Others are just vertical integration schemes.

Yes the linux is unorganized, terribly documented and grew too rapidly to be kept less buggy but it's still quite an achievement.

I am writing this on a late 2013 MBP. I did shit tons of research before buying anything and really they're not overpriced for the hardware. The main selling point for me is the POSIX compliance. I don't NEED Unix-like stuff for anything, but it makes me much happier than running Windoze. Also I cannot be assed to make the battery last more than four hours while running GNU/Linux. I have an Ubuntu partition as well, but as I said the battery life is shit unless I spend my entire life tweaking it. Being able to actually use the CLI is a godsend, now when I use Windoze I get so frustrated doing anything. I cannot understand how normies think it's "easier" than Unix-like.

Anyway yeah, if you like the retina BS get a MBP. If you don't care or really want to be able to open your laptop up with screwdrivers that you didn't specialty order over the internet, there are other good options too. I think dell has some XPS or something that is solid. Sony had some good stuff, though a bit more expensive IIRC. A Pixel seems nice, but look into that more. Note that you will probably be running Windows on any other machine, or you will install Gentoo and realize that your battery is dead every time you unplug it.

Because they are successful people who can afford good hardware?

you needing proprietary software and a PCI slot doesn't mean my MBP is a toy. it does mean though that you're trapped using some of the worst software on the planet.

Poo in the fucking loo Rajeesh.

>macshit
>good hardware

Pick one.

Lord there was this one that was written in a horrible hybrid of visual Basic 6, labVIEW and some assembly. The fact every font was comic sans only made it better.

I'm just salty cause the business end guys wanted us to put a crude prototype of analysis software and unit control on a MacBook and I wasted a week doing driver nonsense.

There's three Macbooks:

Plain: worse than celeron piece of shit with the worst keyboard in the history of computing

Air: same 1366x768 TN piece of shit you find on $200 craptops, and it's glossy on top of that

Pro: if you try to use the high end hardware they cram into it, it catches fire

They're all utter shit, and only a moron would buy any of them.

The level of autism in this thread is ground breaking.

>I see you're using gnome

Air's screen is niether 1366x768 nor TN you ignorant twat. Also mate vs glossy is a pc only thing, it's meaningless for glass screens. Better luck next time kid.

They could use a matte screen, but they choose to use glass instead.

Used Windows for 15 years. Tried ubuntu this year, had to use OS X for a new programming job this year.

For programming, Linux and OS X >>>>>>> Windows

For general purpose work or random normie tools like games, Windows works

For any other serious IT work Linux with GNU

I will pray for you every day.

because they don't care
they don't even use latest models
it just werks

it workz
it´s easy
and it takes away unnecessary choices
which is a thing these people have a preference for