Redpill me on what to expect with Visual Studio 2015 community with C++ on what I can do

redpill me on what to expect with Visual Studio 2015 community with C++ on what I can do
pls no memes

install gentoo

botnet in your hello world program

maybe someday
b-but that's a meme

c# Tools will be forcibly installed with Visual studio and you can't uncheck it. Additonally 8GB waste of space to download

A fucking enormous download/install.

and sometimes the service in charge of "undo" will crash, so you lose ctrl-v until you restart visual studio.

yeah i got that far
good to know

i-i found this irc client source for VB kind of what i'm interested in reading

>A fucking enormous download/install.
>and sometimes the service in charge of "undo" will crash, so you lose ctrl-v until you restart visual studio.

I work every day in VS2015 pro and have never encountered this issue. Is this a community edition problem or just a meme?

>b-but that's a meme
IT'S NOT A MEME YOU NORMIE, VISUAL STUDIO INJECTS TELEMETRY REEEEEEEEEE

everythings fucking async in the ide ui and it's fucking balls.
command shortcuts don't queue - AARGGHHH
i swear they always do something each release to force and upgrade. now the only option i have is a really fast cpu so all the async bullshit finished before my next keystroke

you aren't using your ide hard enough mate
i have to restart it everyday

I have experienced no problems so far. Bretty good.

forced to use this for a uni course

Xcode blows this babby, over engineered shit out of the water

I was forced to use Xcode in a university class

VS blows that laggy piece of shit out of the water

yeah thats good, problems are bad

Yes, that's right.

Visual Studio is so fucking bloated, but there's gotta be a reason it's designed that way. Ms products are designed for large corporations, not individuals or tech startups. So maybe that has something to do with it.

Do what I did: say fuck c++, install PyCharm, and learn Python.

The community is excellent. Anyone who doesn't want to be there switches to C#.

Maybe he can't have programs that run at 1/100th native speed?

Then rewrite that part of the program in C

Expect a regular programming session with kind of nice additional stuff added. Seriously there is no difference in writing in any language in any platform. Unless you are doing something completely unconventional or something really hardcore you wouldn't notice any differences in performance or anything.

>Yeah don't lean this language, learn that language

This is why we can't have nice things.
But OP, if you think Visual Studio is bloated, go with CodeBlocks. VS is fine though.

>redpill
Install Gentoo.

It's really good, but a lot of the features confuse me. For some programs I had do weird things where I had to explicitly right click them in the project to exclude them, and it's also weird about leaving variables uninitialized.
I'm trying to think what the specific instance was, but I think it was something like:
int beNiceToAnons(int happy)
{
int a[happy];
}

It didn't like that.

>use and just rewrite parts of it in
Why the fuck would you bother with the shitty language then?

VS 2015 opens up two separate processes that consume large amounts of memory and do absolutely nothing. I've found no way of disabling this in VS, so simply had to remove the executables.

Is there no way to bypass microsoft compilers? I seriously hate the stuff the put in the generated code. I just want my cmake-based c++ project to be also compiled under windows but without microsoft compilers.

>installs VS community
>program with GNU Emacs
>compile with cl

I keep encountering 2 issues:

>Sometimes lose ability to do CTRL+Z
>Opening a new project and then clicking "compile" compiles the previous project

vs2015 installer is cancerous

>try to uninstall due to fucking shit up with core sdks etc.
>uninstall process takes 1 hour
>failed to uninstall blah blah
>download the installer
>install
>we have found something blah blah
>installation takes 1 hour
>failed due to blah blah component

IT CAN'T BE NEITHER INSTALLED NOR UNINSTALLED

IT'S JUST CANCER

I just want to use CLion with clang but clion doesn't support clang on windows and also requires mingw installation, however the libraries that I use don't have mingw binaries. I WILL JUST LOSE MY MIND

HELP ME

>service in charge of "undo"
holy shit bloat is an understatement now.

Can someone link me to a download for Microsoft.Visual.Studio.Enterprise.2015.with.Update3.PROPER.ISO-TBE

Why use an IDE that is inefficient and adds redundant telemetry shit to binarys when you could use a free alternative that is superior in every way?

>redpill me
>pls no memes
Choose one.

Yes because it's not normaly allowed in c++, it's a c feature.

Soo many idiots posting here, probably mostly gentoo neckbeards who never even opened VS and whoever claims a bug its probably specific to just that retard that has some viruses or something, its great, its best for c++ out there, however about injecting telemetry, I will let you think about this one ...

Installer is only cancer when it injects 7gb of botnet, otherwise it works just fine, if something is not working is probably just missing some files, errors are easy to google, its mostly missing something like vc100 or something like that.

using visual studio for C# and C++ at work for 7 years now, never had a problem with it.

"bloated"
retards like you that just use terms like everyone else does piss me off.

OP, Visual Studio is a great IDE for C++ if you're developing for Windows. Tons of great companies use them.

If someone's criticism only extends to words like "bloated" "heavy" and they don't further explain what they mean, disregard their advice.

just use eclipse

If youre just now learning C++ will be exactly that, a learning tool. Its good for reinventing the wheel so to speak, when you are building a linked list or binary tree class etc, it will enforce understanding of data structures if used properly.

In the real world, you wont see much use out of it except for extremely speed critical parta of your program. No one reinvents the wheel in the real world (C#/Java will have almost every method you ever need already defined), but its good to understand whats going on when youre designing and debuggin.

I would say get real friendly with pointers, because thats where all the C++ magic is. Unless you intend to stay on C++ i wouldnt fuck around too much with templating but it cant hurt either.

I clearly misread the question

step (1)
>install gentoo
step (2)
> install g++
step (3)
> install emacs

Your shit is probably so bad VS purposely clears that garbage. I've never heard of this issue.

Oh poor baby. Is Visual Studio eating up your single gig of ram?

Anything post visual studio 2012 is garbage since around then it became registerware bullshit.

getting Xamarin to work is a nightmare
enjoy having to waste a day building SDL if you ever plan to use it

How are you having trouble? it's built into visual studio.

Are you talking about SDL or Xamarin?
With Xamarin I've reinstalled twice, SDK and JDK are fully up to date, and yet the pre-made "hello world" project that comes up when you load a new basic project refuses to compile. Spent several days looking for solutions, tried everything listed and no dice.

Xamarin. Trying installing update 3

No it doesn't

Hmm. Go to help > about

Visual Studio should say update 3 and xamarin 4.1

its kinda okay i think
you'll have a fully featured IDE that you could automatically deploy your autistic systems but you also have a slow and bloated IDE

Yeah damn. I did a Google search and it looks it doesn't like something with the Android SDK you'll have to investigate.

Thanks for trying

, see . This is actually true, there were reports of telemetry being embedded into built applications. Not a meme.

C++ requires determined array sizes at compile time. If you want dynamic sized arrays go with
int fuck( int array_size ){
int* myarr = new int[array_size];
}

Or make a const array but VLA is a c thing.

I haven't tried qtcreator on windows but that might work

Fixed it, just had to delete Build Tools v24 and it works perfectly

modern c++ on windows with visual studio is actually quite nice. nuget makes installing common libraries easy. my only real complaint is it is quite messy with project and solution files, etc. however if you are working in a team it does make things a little easier to maintain consistency. their git support is decent as well as it is just a wrapper around git.exe rather than their own implementation. tfs can suck a dick so dont use that.

overall it is good, it isnt perfect but it is good. it is also not totally awful (like it used to be) for C99 as they fully support it now. i never need to use any c11 bits so it works just fine for me when i need to open an older project that is c only. you can also use clang if you want which is cool although i generally prefer msvc.

for free as in beer it is nice and with cmake you can keep yourself free from nasty ms specific things if that is a problem for you

>get real friendly with pointers, because thats where all the C++ magic is
>I have no clue about C++

>Hehe oop. Ok we remove it

>Visual Studio
>Not using Visual Basic
LOL stop shooting yourselves in the knee xD

good, clean family fun

Muahaha! Nice!

Um. What?

real programmers don't use closed frameworks.

Wait is that why vs has to load in symbols for 10 minutes on first compile? I honestly just thought it was to show dissasembly and memory info