AMD couldn't afford to put 2 extra power pins on the RX 480

>AMD couldn't afford to put 2 extra power pins on the RX 480

Other urls found in this thread:

pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480
reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfy9d/i_work_at_amd_the_time_has_come_to_ama_about/d4smj8k
guru3d.com/articles_pages/palit_geforce_gtx_750_ti_stormx_dual_review,5.html
youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>all they had to do was put 2 more pins on and not lie

Would have been a good launch.

AMD literally bankrupt and finished?

Has the 480 been cooking some pcie slots?

They should have spun the 8 pin as marketing tool "look how efficient our card is at stock but if you really want to push it we even gave you a 8 pin power connector for free"

They still have Vega and Zen but this launch is a prime example of why their reputation is the way it is. If they simply said that the card draws up to 190w and put a 8-pin on it, it would still be a pretty good card and none of this drama would have happened.

"8 cores that'll shit all over Sandy Bridge"

>raises the performance bar
This is the kind of shit I'm talking about. Their marketing is fucking bullshit.

The 480 would still be a good card with an 8-pin but instead they chose to risk it and put a 6-pin on it ruining their reputation even more.

6 pin should also be able to handle 150 watt.

8 pin just has more earth pins which is extra safety but 6 pin should be able to do the same.

You're right but standards exist for a reason.

Its not about power pins. Connector replacement wont change anything. Its pcb/vrm engineer error which lead to wrong power distribution between rails.

Doesn't this meme tier 'motherboard fires' shit coe from the fact that:

1)Testers are using reference
2)One faggot tester was spotted using a '4790k' when it was a AMD mobo on his youtube

Yep

There is definetly something wrong with the reference model. The 960 strix was tested and the problem is not comparable to the problem on 480.

>Your shilling isn't stopping me from buying a Sapphire Nitro 480 when it comes out.
And it shouldn't since that card wont have this problem since Sapphire isn't as dumb as AMD when it comes to making a videocard.

>ashes of the singularity

AMD has fallen really low.

All the facts are here: pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480

The 960 has no issues, it's only the 480

>Your shilling isn't stopping me from buying a Sapphire Nitro 480 when it comes out.

Chip is great, ref. design is dog shit

at least all those 200 players can buy two 480 and get 1080 performance.

The worst part about it is that people think it doesn't even have 6pin power and so pulls everything from the mobo

>There is definitely something wrong with the reference model.

But no news of any housefires as of yet.

Many Reputable PSU testers will clarify that the 6 pin CAN deliver more than 75w (it just avoids it)

All news I find outside of this meme shithole nip board suggest that this 'issue' is nothing really to give two fucks about, just some shills on here and the odd damage control tester.

Fuck even TTL hasn't slandered the 480x as far as I've seen, and he's the biggest Nvidia stealth shill you can find.

> 6 pin CAN deliver more than 75w
It can deliver up to 150w, just like an 8 pin.

Why does AMD always fuck up the reference design?
Nvidia isnt much better, but how hard can it be to make a decent reference card?

It's the one game where AMD has a massive advantage over Nvidia. Unfortunately it's a garbage game that no ones plays.

They could, but if they would then it would be obvious for everyone that it is NOT a 150W card. As it is, we only found out after it was released.

>tfw wc3 has more players than their peak

AMD is the Donald Trump of tech.

At least is doing better than Evolve.

>2)One faggot tester was spotted using a '4790k' when it was a AMD mobo on his youtube

You Novidya fags are really assblasted a set of cheap cards slaps the shit out of your top end card?

I concede Nvidia is top of the market for high end, no quarrel with admitting that, but fuck sake lads, you know something is severely wrong with Nvidia if 2 "housefire/no driver/ poo in loo bargain basement" cards can pull ahead of a card of that caliber, it shouldn't happen at this price range. That's like have two 960s come roaring ahead of a 980ti for 1/3rd the price

>Mah 1 game

It's climbing and is currently 7 of the latest titles games I have seen where a 480 is slap bang ahead or inbetween a 970/980, exactly where it was predicted.

>Crossfire is shit

Could never be as bad as SLi, and if AMD put as much effort into Multi GPU as they did to push for better APIs, then Nvidia have something to fear

>All the good games have Nvidia

Hairworks and Gameworks do not make good games

>Enjoy Motherboard Death and no drivers

I don't buy Asrock so I'll be fine, and Drivers matured like a dream for 290/x users

Would anyone give a shit if it wasn't?

>All those "If"

Good going shills, just wait.
It will get better I promise.

I wonder why Nvidia is pushing their 1060 release. They're either scared of customers going red cuz they don't have a card to rival 480 in mid tier range or they simply are relentless and want to gun down AMD like a dog. However the fact that UK prices of 970 gtx went back up to levels of 480 (I could buy new non-ref top tier 970 like MSI or EVGA for £199 last week) mean 480 probably isn't doing as great as you think.

why don't AMD and Nvidia rush the aftermarket coolers? who the hell benefits from selling reference cards?

Heard a rumour it was Tech of Tomorrow, on his first vid, someone said it was a AMD mobo, yet he says in the specs - 4790k. Someone might be able to support or debunk perhaps?

>2)One faggot tester was spotted using a '4790k' when it was a AMD mobo on his youtube
dude, what?

>480 probably isn't doing as great as you think

OCUK reported that they ran out of RX 480s (something like 2-3k cards) and that 4GB 480 production was getting halted to favour the 8GB model.

>I wonder why Nvidia is pushing their 1060 release
To cannibalize the 480 sales of course, what else could it be? To inevitably gimp the shit out of the 7xx/9xx series completely and force people to upgrade again notwithstanding.

The 480 sold well in the UK, it might be Nvidia closing the price range to lock the market down like the transition they did with the 780ti to the 970/980, Nvidia typically group it all back up.

>Before 1060
""But the 970, it's cheap and 'as' good as 480, we swear, ignore the 3.5!!"

>1060 gets announced and leaked
"you could get a 970 for cheap, oh wait no.... 1060 is new, you have to make a gamble now user"

So you're saying the 290x didn't mature and slap the 780ti around?

may be a few if's as I'm not Mystic Meg, but one thing is for certain, when the Maxwell launched, they utterly gimped the 700 series.

At this point i'm ready to buy 1080. Losing faith in vega.

>We know that about 85% of the GPU market buys GPUs between $100 and $300 US. The other 15 spend more than that or less than that. So for us, a department that wants to get our technology into the hands of as many people as possible, a GPU like the RX 480 seems pretty damn smart to me.

reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfy9d/i_work_at_amd_the_time_has_come_to_ama_about/d4smj8k

as long as Nvidia doesn't have a monopoly, I guess

>my i5 2500 is still superior to any amd cpu

>Faggots forget the 960/750ti pulled as much through the PCI slot

Spikes are better than constant draw.
60 watts average vs 80

> GTX 1070s are $699+
> GTX 980s are still $599+
> RX 480s are $459+
Being a kangaroo is fucking hell

But dollar is worthless so 600 aussie dollar is like 134 euros

>literally 5w out of spec
rip biostar users

The funny thing is that the two extra pins on the 8 pin don't add another 12v line, all three 12v lines are on the 6 pin, but if one of those pins (the middle one) shouldn't be connected on the board itself. One of the extra pins on the 8 pin is a sense pin that would then allow the board to realize that it has an 8 pin connected and can draw 150w.

They could literally just draw more on the 6 pin. Honestly. Like 150/3 is 50, so the two lines should be able to handle at LEAST 100w instead of the 75w max for a 6 pin.

Because the only thing 8-pin adds os more earth pins and six pins can easily supply enough power. And while everyone has a six pin connector, not everyone has an 8 pin connector. Also drawing 8 watts to much from pcie isnt a problem except if you have 4 cards and a really shit motherboard. Litterally nvidia grasping straws trying to banter this great price performance card

Its 80watts on the 12v rail which is limited to 66

What's your point?

>this is the average AMDrone

>nothing really to give two fucks about
So apparently your internet blog reading makes you know better than AMD themselves. They just stated publicly that they're going to try to fix this hazard and hopefully it can be done in driver so they don't have to recall your card?

>This is the average Nvidia Shill

So you reckon custom PCBs but third party companies should fix the issue? Not that I was ever going to buy reference anyway.

No idea yet, I would wait for the reviews on those, right now I wouldn't buy any 480 because all of them have the issue

"If some of the data is to be believed, these cards are exceeding 150W total at times, which would mean there is either something causing them to run in the wrong power state, or they are just outright exeeding their power limit and need to be throttled back. As we don't do per-rail testing I don't have anything meaningful to add at this second, but it will be very interesting to see how AMD responds next week."

>these cards are exceeding 150w total at all times

Seems more like a total power issue, not a Mobo housefires, or as suggested "wrong power state"

"As we don't do per-rail testing I don't have anything meaningful to add at this second"

>"I got my moneys worth from this, and I don't want to do more work than I have to, besides now I can see how much money Nvidia will pay me for a decent review"

Like to add here - we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016).

NVIDIA LOST ITS ONLY EDGE IN THE MEME WARS

> exceeding 150W total at times
you then type
> exceeding 150w total at all times
Which is it?

>more like a total power issue, not a Mobo housefires
"total power issue" is what people have been talking about all the time retard. For a card that will run for maybe 10,000 hours it's definitely a hazard
>we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue.
This means making the card slower you retard. Not waiving a magic wand

They suggested the card is running flat out at all times

I meant implying with my post, and 'if' it was running 150w all the time, then it would show on the idle temps. If it was meant as in, "both 6 pin and PCI" then it's in the safe zone, so whats the issue?

No you bellend, people have been losing there fucking shit with crap memes about how the Mobo would explode in a ball of fire, and it certainly is not a fucking hazard as the 750ti would pump 75w+ through the PCI under a full load you absolute mongolian fuck pig.

And if the card 'is' stuck in a high power state under load and is pulling to much from the PCI, then yes they can tweak it with a driver.

There are already like 4 reports of mobos dying and this is only day 2, it has serious problems.

That's not even mentioning the one mobo that wouldn't even run the card without crashing because it was using too much power.

They let the hype train run away from them and now they've botched the launch with some banal driver issue, which exacerbates the known problems AMD has had in the past.

Now both NVIDIA and AMD have fucked up the launches of their most important consumer products.

I get the feeling NVIDIA pays too much attention on Tesla and AMD too much on the console market. Once again pc users are getting screwed...

>750ti would pump 75w+ through the PCI under a full load
1. I know you have the mentality of a 13 year old console-fanboy, but the "other side" being bad doesn't make "your side" less bad
2. Wrong. It's been said like 100 times already that "peaks" and "sustained" are completely different matters. But you just stick your fingers in your ears (or even worse doesn't even understand this basic concept)

It shouldn't burn your mobo no matter what "state" it's in retard. Something needs to be dialed down, probably with worse performance as a result

How exactly did nVidia "fuck up the launch"

Yeah 2 of which have been debunked as shit posters

Not saying it hasn't or will not happen, but one was saying "480 killed my board" and when he uploaded the pic, it was the 24 pin that had a burn, that's not caused by the GPU

Another has been outed as a troll. Source for the other 2?

guru3d.com/articles_pages/palit_geforce_gtx_750_ti_stormx_dual_review,5.html

Never said that AMD is without fault, but this is blown way out of proportion

Paper Launch

this guy put a rx 480 in an am2 mobo and it would constantly power off.

youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA

he put a 980 ti (a fucking 980 ti) in the same mobo and it worked just fine.

That's a third party card retard. The review also doesn't even specify if it's max or avg

>480 probably isn't doing as great as you think.
I just checked Ebay, amazon, and newegg. Sapphire RX 480s sold out across the board. Seems like it's doing just fine.

How exactly is having greater demand than expected "fucking up"?

>sold out meme
Doesn't mean anything if you don't know how many they shipped retard

You know something is wrong when a 480 has more power issues than a 980 Ti

Use a 980ti with a 8 pin connector

Solved the puzzle, but yeah it hasn't solved the power state issue so far, wait for Tuesday for driver tweak

>Boss - "we hold a 85% share of the Market and our due date is soon, where are our Cards?"

"Yield problems sir"

Not only that it is not even a proper measurment. Looks like he is using a kill-a-watt wall wart to measure it.

>people with cheap mobos and psus complaining when they die under load

The issue has nothing to do with power draw from the 6 pin. It's drawing too much from the motherboard

>we want the budget audience
>fucking idiots with their cheap hardware

B R A V O A T I
T
I

It's actually a elaborate plan to coax cheap users in to upgrading to a zen/vega combo.

Microcenter only got a handful of GTX 1080's in (like 3 lol) and they sold out. Overclockers got several 1000 480's in and sold out. You do the math.

Oh and AMD sold more in the last few days than Nvidia sold in a month.

>Not buying the AIB Sapphire Nitro Model

Even that would be a good thing. The IPC of sandy bridge, with 8+ cores at an affordable price would be great.

Is that only the single 8 pin connector I see at the back? Putting it at the back is a pain as it extends it slightly more for the connector and cable. Not so great for some micro atx cases.

>uncomfirmed numbers from a single store, not even the same store
lel
1. Citation needed
2. the 480 is a budget card. If they sell anything less than 5X of what nVidia sells 1070/80's it's a complete disaster

I read a post that some store sold 1000 1070/1080's over the course of a month. The Microcenter one was 3 cards in a day. I am not sure where I saw the 1000 Nvidiia cards number either. The Overclockers one they stated they shifted about 2-3k cards in the last few days. I CBA to give citations on a shitty Chinese board I don't give a fuck about. Google it yourself.

>I read a post that some store
FUCKING
LEL
This is literally Sup Forumslevel research.
>I CBA to give citations
Retard, citations doesn't change that it's "uncomfirmed numbers from a single store, not even the same store"

They do, but everyone ignores. If you measure effectively any graphics card on the market they all draw more than the rated value on motherboards. It's pretty normal, just doesn't often come to light.

Of course. I could not prove it even with those links. But considering how many cards they got from Nvidia and how many they got from AMD on actual launch one can easily speculate.

They don't call Nvidia's launches a paperlaunch for nothing.

Still waiting for the bar to be raised...
The Bulldozer/Piledriver CPUs have some good features but the performance is not one of them.

>Not saying it hasn't or will not happen, but one was saying "480 killed my board" and when he uploaded the pic, it was the 24 pin that had a burn, that's not caused by the GPU
Are you computer illiterate? PCI-E slots get power from the 24 pin. If draw from PCI-E slots is too high, 24 pin will be damaged assuming it's the weakest link.

Spikes aren't better than draw when some of the spikes went almost 150W over spec. Look at the graphs. Sure the average is low but drawing double the rated for a split second is certainly not better than drawing 5W over spec constantly.

being this edgy about gaming. virgin.

Anyone overclocking one of those 750Ti's without a power connector would have gone over the PCIe spec but you don't hear too many stories about fried motherboards there.

Are YOU computer illiterate? The 24-pin can deliver FAR more power than what the 480 pulls on top of spec. No chance a 24-pin would pop from something drawing too much from PCI-E. It can handle 4x cards in there no problem, a little extra on one port won't kill it. The port might get damaged, but certainly not the 24-pin connection or cable.

Spikes are better because none of these components involved even know the spikes are happening. All they can "feel" is the heat generated by resistance. Which, to be fair, is higher when the card spikes and amperage goes up.

But all that means is that power consumption is not linear. Higher power draw has more transmission losses and creates higher averages. BTW the 480 spikes to 155W+ too. That's normal for shitty low end cards without a power connector. It's just that most of them manage to average it out around 40-60W.

I don't think you can overclock it enough without a 6 pin to draw more than 70W. The reference designs have pathetic VRM which would probably burn out if you tried to draw as much as a 480.

750 Ti never pulled that much. It would cook itself before doing that. I've tested a card w/o additional power connector. Overclocked to ~1450 and overvolted to 1.21v, not even then it pulled more than ~70 watts.

Boards that support 4xcards are high end boards which often have additional power connector on the board for PCI-E slots. It also depends on how well the connection is made, because the board only has 2 12VDC pins. If one of them isn't tight enough, it'll burn when you try to pull too much power. The RX480 takes about as much as 2 high end graphics cards from the slot, so it's like you're running a SLI setup.

Also, the problem seems to be very rare which just gives you less credibility because you're trying to claim that everything should be exploding just because some things are. I bet that none of these people who have a damaged board even have compatibility with SLI.
My board for example only has 1x16x PCI-E slot which takes all the lanes from CPU. It does not support SLI at all.