Just bought a pre-Lenovo Thinkpad with 512MB of RAM

Just bought a pre-Lenovo Thinkpad with 512MB of RAM

Which WM is the lightest?

twin

dwm

>dwm
kek

i3, openbox, fluxbox. Maybe LXDE or MATE are good enough.
There are of course more extreme DEs, but in my experience they are also barely usable. i3 might be the lightest one that is still reasonably useful.

Just avoid KDE, Gnome, Unity, XFCE and Cinnamon. 512 MB is pretty tough, but not that tough honestly.

tty1

i3

I recommend openbox if you can manage the contextual menu and terminal for everything, if you're more casual LXDE (even though it's ugly AF). I've used XFCE with old computers and never had much problems, just keep your widgets to the bare minimum.

cwm

>Which WM is the lightest?
dwm

apparently TinyWM. It takes 0.2 MB of RAM. Also you could just use cli.

I'd recommend CDE or spectrwm.

Just run on framebuffer, there's a tiling WM for it.

JWM is best and super easy to rice

Can't you just upgrade the RAM?

Evilwm is the lightest i'd use. Ratpoison maybe if you're really into keyboard only. Icewm is pretty comfy and

A E S T H E T I C

Tbh senpai

And still light as fuck.

It won't be the WM that will fuck you over with RAM, it will be browser tabs.

Window Maker best WM

I have a t42p with 512mb of RAM, debian with lxde runs beautifully

that being said, I'm upgrading to 2gb when I get the money

twm
olwm
mwm
Also install CDE

it doesn't matter what wm you use, as long as you aren't doing something retarded trying to load KDE onto that sucker

personally, I like using Window Maker on machines with low RAM, since it's pretty user friendly and featureful while barely touching the stuff)
I also used mwm for like half a year, only stopped because it doesn't properly support things like fullscreen windows, that was annoying as fuck.

you can even get away with xfce -- it's not quite as light as it advertises, but it'll work

Lubuntu takes just a bit more then 100mb