/SBCG/ - Single board computers general

Let's discuss SBCs ITT, what we're looking at, what we have, what we use it for, etc.

Here's an incomplete list of common SBCs out there for newcomers.
>arduino
>banana pi
>beaglebone
>C.H.I.P
>cubieboard
>dragonboard
>orange pi
>ODROID
>PINE
>raspberry pi
>VIA

Other urls found in this thread:

crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
amazon.com/VIA-Embedded-EPIA-P910-10Q-Pico-ITX-Processor/dp/B00BQ5W61Y
s.aliexpress.com/JnqeAbMn
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
gearbest.com/memory-cards/pp_246127.html
wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:zsun-wifi-card-reader
wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware
pcengines.ch/apu2c4.htm
dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/search&description=true&search=lattepanda
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Bit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

didn't see this thread before i posted mine

I'm wanting to get a knockoff Arduino starter kit. Mainly for learning assembly, and embedded C programming.

I'm leaning towards getting the Mega because it has 256k vs 16k of flash storage. The first thing I want to make is a play pretend hardware accelerator for huffman encoding compression.

Off topic but what sensor modules are neat to play with?

What's the board pictured? The VGA and SATA ports are very intriguing for my project:

I have an original iMac that's sorta-broken and I want to replace the motherboard with something more interesting (but keep the CRT because why not). A proper PC wouldn't fit unless I also replace the CRT with an LCD, so something like the raspberry pi is ideal, except that HDMI output is counterproductive.

>crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
>arm processor

I.E. Junk

It's a VIA, x86 quad core epia. Not sure which model, but you might be better off with the VIA c4650 instead

Oh dang it's x86? I could probably run a classic mac emulator on that haha
(Thanks for the info!)

is there any of these really good for a homebuilt nas? can also be mini itx really but am definitely looking for something small but able to handle 4 or more drives

Is Orange Pi Plus 2 good enough to use as my main computer ?
My only concern is it only has 2 GB RAM, definitely not enough for VM.

I think we should compile a list of notable SBC, alongside with price, RAM, CPU, GPU and whether it has hardware issue (like odroid)

Do you know of any other boards with VGA support that don't cost $300+?

your phone has an ARM

it's basically the best, low power, general purpose processor in history

Are there any with ECC and SATA ports? I want a low-power NAS, but the options for that are limited.

Only one I know is VIA.
C.H.I.P uses svideo iirc, which you can adapt to vga pretty easily I think

What's a good seedbox?

CubieBoard tends to overheat and go into coma while rtorrent is checking the checksum, requiring manual reboot.

>CubieBoard tends to overheat
Have you tried attaching a heatsink?

Did you try a heatsink? Your can buy 5 for a dollar or so from China

Heatsink reduced the frequency of overheating, but it still goes into coma every week or so.

How is that even possible?

Maybe I got the one with shit-bin chip.

But, overheating and going into coma does seem to other people's cubieboards too if Google search results are anything to go by.

Which cubie? I have the 2 with rtorrent running at it never overheats.

Looks like it has composite built in, and they sell a VGA adapter. I think I'll go with chip!

amazon.com/VIA-Embedded-EPIA-P910-10Q-Pico-ITX-Processor/dp/B00BQ5W61Y

cubieboard 2

Did you try adding a small 5v fan?

Also could I use an orange pi as a substitute desktop on my tv with Linux?

NEW ! Orange Pi PC Plus ubuntu linux and android mini PC Beyond Raspberry Pi 2 Wholesale is available
s.aliexpress.com/JnqeAbMn
(from AliExpress Android)

>all botnet except arduino
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

gearbest.com/memory-cards/pp_246127.html

wiki.hackerspace.pl/projects:zsun-wifi-card-reader
note:

Arduino isn't a sbc

Yes it is.

It's a micro.

Maybe it would be considered a SBC in 1980

Arduino is a microcontroller on a breakout board. When people think of SBCs they think of something with at least a GPU.

What memory cards are good for SBCs? Are the mixza sharks enough?

Except Silvermont beats the crap out of it at the same power.

wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Hardware

I have to say that doing stuff that might matter on a MicroSD card makes me nervous. Are MicroSDs actually reliable in the long term?

arduino is for real programmers because you have to write low level C. anything you can just write python on, you might as well use an old phone board, because it's the same thing, but in a better form factor and more powerful

> thinking arduino is low level

My phone runs on Intel Atom and x86.

So whats the most powerful SBC around? (preferably x86/x64)

Are thinclients the cheapest way of acquiring an x86 SBC?

Intel Compute Sticks likely are up there.

I've only had one fail on me, but that was my own fault for putting it in my coin pouch.

Intel couldn't compete at both performance and efficiency so they merged atom with another line and just gave up.

VIA c4650z athlon 5350 cpu performance and pcie slot for gpu

There's no z in that, typo sorry.

>Intel couldn't compete at both performance and efficiency
I have some cheap Baytrail products that say otherwise. Similarly my Zenfone 2 ran circles around 808/810/801. The 805 for some reason (Nexus 6 Shamu Note4) was a different story for some reason.

PC Engines makes something like that, but they don't have ECC working yet.

>arduino
You mean Atmel?

>PC Engines

You might as well just buy a proper server at that price point.

I've been checking this out and I would buy this if I hadn't funded the novena.

My biggest complaint is they seem to have no roadmap for future upgrades. What point is the EOMA68 form factor if you are forever stuck on the same slow ass dual core arm chip.
Secondly the form factor seems to only allow for a very small thermal envelope. Anything more than a few watts needs a type III form factor and heatsink which I don't think they suuport. I will only buy another low end desktop processor if it is a RISC-V or equivalent open processor. I don't need another piece of arm hardware I barely use.

Well if you want fucking ECC then you're going to be paying a fuckload, especially for ECC on an SBC.

Anyone knows of a fast x86 SBC with dual ethernet and SATA?

Is this worth 26€? I want to make a cheap and quiet seedbox/home server

PC Engines makes something like that. You can even get triple Ethernet.

Never heard of them. Where do I buy it? And can you point me in the direction of the one with ECC?

Even if it's pricey, it's probably not as expensive as the Avoton boards like the C2750 that are $300-400+

pcengines.ch/apu2c4.htm
ECC isn't working on it yet. I'm not even sure if they're making progress with it either. Mine ended up costing around 200 dollars with all the goodies I wanted.

What's the cheapest SBC I can use as an HTPC?

Really all I need is some basic OS that can play H.264 and VC-1 files, and 1 USB port + 1 video/audio out.

Orange pi pc should be less than $20 from aliexpress and can play h.264 4k videos iirc

Probably one of the android tv boxes.

There was one the kodi forums people were hyping since it had good performance.

I wouldn't bother with rpi, it will end up costing the same as a decent android tv box when you factor in all the other stuff you need.

And at the end of the day you're still stuck with 10/100 ethernet sharing the usb bus

Yes that's exactly why Intel didn't drop the atom line

This, but hevc x265 10bit, anyone?

Why don't we have any SBCs with older but still relatively powerful components like the Heliox10 or Snapdragon 801 and 2, 3, or 4GB ram?

dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/search&description=true&search=lattepanda

>139usd
>no nand
>no windows licence
>no sata
>no pcie

I feel like they might have blown too much of the budget on that Intel chip.

Was hoping to pay maybe 75-80usd for an ARM one for some web browsing and emulation.

Has anyone gotten a Creator CI40? I've got a CI20 and was wondering if I should just get another one or go for the new one.

Will I be able to run LiteBSD on my Pinguino Micro?

Bump

what & where?

Step back, plebs

The one, true singleboard computer is here

Probably some shit netbook or mobo on amazon.

Look at that cpu, bleh, outdated atom shit is such a pain to work with.

No one cares about the drivers and performance is slower than granny taking a shit

You can get a proper xeon server for 200$. Not this amd shit.

a xeon server with unrasinable power draw

nice try jew

Why would you raisin the power draw?

Not everybody needs to an ultra-low power server for their home server.

If only those were actually PCMCIA compatible, those would have a pretty damn good niche as bridge boxes for legacy systems.

This is the detailed hardware specification of SBC that I compiled, source of the information is from Wikipedia.

I have two goals I want to achieve.
First is to set up a little machine for torrenting. This should be easy with Raspbian and Deluge.

Second, I want to set up a machine for connecting to the television. I know I can use OSMC.

What would be great though, that I am unsure about is can I set up one system which can accomplish both of these goals. Am I right in thinking that I can just install Kodi on Raspbian?

Orange pi pc x2.

C.H.I.P is a piece of shit avoid all cost

>Orange pi pc
Serious question, Is this the best value option? How's performance? Smooth 720p YouTube playback?

???

>
why dont you guys just get a mac mini?

>"""future-proof"""" htpc, literally, much better than what you are trying to build
>only a little bit more expensive
>no need for peripherals
>better OS
>2TB hard drive
>HDMI
>4k video
>streaming server
>ssh
>can program it (write C programs to control the screen
>or use built in screen sharing

I'm searching for a computer + uC solution for a quadcopter (uC for real time needs and computer for computer vision), as far as I know, the BBB is the only common board that have both of those on a single board, are there other solutions out there?

I need a dual lan board for pfsense, I can never seem to find one that isn't $200

Only a little more than 18 dollars for a mac mini with a 2tb hard Drive?

just make sure its a 32 bit mcu

>im a real(tm) programmer, guise. Please like and share this post

>No serial port by default

Why VIA WHY?!?!?!

>Arduino
>Low level

Unless your using Atmel studio(insert your preference here) and doing all your programing live via a programer in assembly your not doing any low level programing at all nigger.

Is this the one one with coreboot support?
I keep trying to find the 4 gb ECC ram version to replace my router but they don't ship to europe T_T

I'm using osmc and transmission on a pi 2. Works fine

HP t5740 thinclient on ebay

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 B+ that I bought last year and I haven't even used it yet. What can I do with it? Any idea friends?

You could install an OS on it. And then do what your desktop could do anyway.

What would you use a serial port for? I'm not trying to imply that it's useless/unnecessary. I'm asking because the only devices that use serial ports that I've seen in the last five years are some network devices which have a console that can be accessed through RS232

>msata pci-e

Does that slot support both msata and mpcie devices?

With how old that is I doubt it supports mSATA on that Mini PCI Express slot.

My Xeon 1240v2 is bretty chill lad

>passively cooled
>one case fan

No idea, it was meant for a wifi card
But the PCIe slot is proprietary, you need an extension for it, pic related
Then you can use a PCI or PCIe 4x card

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Bit

Prolly has very limited usefulness (if not downright useless), but it does what it says on the tin, that is to at least expose kids with babby programming

What do you people even do with these credit-card mini PCs? Too poor to even buy a generic desktop PC?

Bumping for interest