Does Cas/Memory Timing

I was wondering if memory cas/timing matter anymore.

Yes, they matter. Don't buy meme ram.

The lower the better, DDR3 and DDR4 have higher timings compared to old DDR ram paired with the slower memory controllers in modern CPU like Haswell and Skylake it needs to be compensated by faster ram.

If you're buying a Skylake CPU get at least 2400mhz DDR4 ram. if you're on a Haswell CPU get at least 1866mhz CL 8 or 9.

There was a very in-deep chart that paired timings + speed and resulting speed made when Skylake was released but I haven't seen it posted in a long time and I don't have it.

Does ram frequency really make that much of a difference? Not OP but but I just got a couple of 3200mhz rated sticks but I absolutely can't get xmp to work so they're running at stock speeds.

You probably do not have a K processor.

6600k at 4.3ghz

Of course they fucking still matter.
It's the reason why memory latency is still around the DDR2 levels.

Update your bios.

Depends on the who made the sticks. A few manufacturers have it so XMP will only work with a certain brand of processors.

Certain workloads are more intensive in certain types of memory ops, and they will favor tighter timings over raw bandwidth up to a certain point.
Though there is no point in picking one or the other when you can have both in current high end DDR4 kits.
3600mhz CL15 DIMMs have a true latency of 8.3ns~. High bandwidth and low latency, 8GB per DIMM too.

Latency is a function of memory frequency and timings. CAS timings by themselves mean nothing.

16 gb 1600mhz ram

meme away boys

But what if you have a i3-6100?? Most of the cheap motherboards only support 2133. Am I being cucked??

Still nothing, even setting it manually at like 2600mhz doesn't let the mobo post.

G.Skill trident-z, mounted on a msi z170A M7

Don't fall for the hype, they matter very little.

Just get the cheapest RAM from a major brand that is the right spec for your motherboard.

>1gb DDR400 2-2-2-5 in 2003
>16gb DDR-3 pc12800 9-9-9-15 now

Someone explain this bullshit

Heh, I remember gushing over such figures way back in the day. Then I saw the latency numbers kept going up and up and up as time went on, and I figured it hardly matters anyway.

Memory is a meme, always stick with EDO ram.

400mhz DDR CL2 has a cycle time of 5ns, true latency of 10ns.
2400mhz DDR3 CL10 has a cycle time of .83ns, true latency of 8.3ns.
360mhz DDR4 CL15 has a cycle time of .55ns, true latency of 8.3ns

Now look at the bandwidth for each.
Dual channel:

6.4GB/s
38.4GB/s
57.6GB/s

DDR and DDR2 were absolute fucking shit compared to RAM today.

What BIOS version are you on?

1.C0

If all the ram is working, then it could be an issue with the motherboard itself. You should contact your manufacturer, and let them know about your problem, and ask if there's any sort of update that could correct the problem.

I want 2x16GB DDR4 3600mhz CL14

is it a thing already?