So if I want to install Windows 8.1 on a Skylake processor, I need a USB 3.0 stick despite having a 2.0 stick and 2...

So if I want to install Windows 8.1 on a Skylake processor, I need a USB 3.0 stick despite having a 2.0 stick and 2.0 ports?

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech.com/intel-skylake-remove-support-usb-based-windows-7-installation-platform-specs/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No?
If you want to install windows 7 on any device with USB3 ports though, you need to have USB3 drivers placed on the boot media manually.

But it's Windows 8.1, I have it on a USB 2.0 stick

will I be able to install it on my Skylake processor or do I need a 3.0 stick

I am curious too

I installed 8.1 from a USB 2.0 stick just fine with a 6600k. I suppose a 3.0 stick would really help with the transfer speeds though...

You can with windows 10 and ubuntu, so I dont see why windows 8 would be any different.

Motherboard and did you do it from the mobo or front panel?

You can't with 7

wccftech.com/intel-skylake-remove-support-usb-based-windows-7-installation-platform-specs/

if you can't do it with a 2.0 stick, why would it work with any other OS?

Did you read the article? It is not related to skylake. It is because windows 7 is shit.

>The problem begins with the fact that Windows 7 does not have the code to support master xHCI based installation via USB, with only installation over EHCI allowed.

>b-but DVD Drives is useless in 2016
Sup Forums memes, not even once

>windows
HAHAHAHAHAH

New MB is due.

DVD drives IS useless
So is installing windows 7
Install gentoo

Mobo is MSI z170 mortar
Front panel USB 2.0

> New MB is due.
What do you mean? There are new mobos coming out for the same socket type for Skylake?

lol I can't believe there are still people using old hipster shit like 8.1 in 2016. Why wouldn't you use Windows 10? It's completely free and a big improvement over the already great predecessors. Just try it out you fools. Windows 10 has gone a long way since the beta. It has the highest adoption rate of any Windows version ever for a reason. It also takes less than 1 hour and you can always go back to Windows 7 or 8 with no strings attached.

>install piece of shit with no games

>Skylake
Skylakes are new so you can buy a new MB for it anytime+USB3 ofc.

>It has the highest adoption rate of any Windows version ever for a reason
Yeah, because Microsoft forced it on a lot of people and just generally used malware-like tactics to shove it down the throat of Win 7 and Win 8 users.
People who have automatic updates on have Windows 10 now. Pirates got it because it's free and they like free stuff. Most people didn't get it because it's a great OS.

Windows 7 has usb 2.0, so it would be easier to install from that way. My understanding is USB 3 is a problem.

No just extract the Windows ISO to your boot drive and mark it as active.

If you have a Skylake computer, the ports will all be USB 3.0.

Asus mobos for Skylake offer two USB 2.0 ports