What's some easy to fix shit that's wrong with your pc that you're too lazy to fix?

What's some easy to fix shit that's wrong with your pc that you're too lazy to fix?

Pic related is mine, ever since changing mobos w10 only boots when the ssd is manually selected.

>not asking for tech support, fuck off

So how's your computet Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

check boot priority?

my pc blue screened after ~8 days of uptime, im worried

My server has a dead CMOS battery. Even though I could hot swap it that would mean having to move it out of the rack, and it never reboots because UPS backed, so fuck it. Last time I had to take it down I just restored BIOS config from a thumbdrive tucked into its gubbins

i once installed ubuntu with dual boot
never used it again
now the annoying GRUB wastes 10 seconds of my boot time (and bluetooth keyboard means i have no way of skipping GRUB)

Pretty sure op said he's not asking for tech support...

I've had an ssd in my computer for almost a month and I'm still booting from my hard drive.

reduce your resolution, since it is probably more than your mobile card can handle.

THAT
IS
NOT
HOW
GREENTEXT
IS
USED

FUCK OFF BACK TO WHEREVER YOU CRAWLED OUT OF YOU FUCKING SHITTER

TOO MANY OF YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES NOT KNOWING SHIT ABOUT THIS SITE AND USING MEMEARROWS TO HIGHLIGHT SOME LINE THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS YOU FUCKING FUCK SHIT

bios battery on my home server is shot. it would take 30 seconds and $2 battery to fix but it's only ever an issue if the machine loses power (i.e. the power bar it's connected to is turned off) which never happens. and even if it did i'd just have to reset the bios settings which is no big deal (there's only one thing from the defaults I changed anyways, at least all that i really care about)

Whenever my desktop running windows 10 has to do a major update and go through the whole setup process I need to remove my HDD and Optical drive while it installs otherwise it hangs during the installtion 100% of the time.

This is easily fixable by updating my bios (MSI Z87-GD65) but I don't feel like doing it and I've only had to update maybe three times.

Are you alright?

>i think he is kill :^(

A childish attempt at thread derailment.

I am learning the Colemak keyboard layout and sometimes Windows 7 likes to switch between Colemak and Qwerty without letting me know. It is random as well.

do you press alt+shift by accident? that does switch language

My dead hard disk is still plugged in

>mate starts infinite times caja (file manager) on every boot
>add caja to startup programs
>magic.png
>caja doesn't open anymore
>install nemo (cinnamon file manager) instead
i think i started to learn linux r-right guys?

my DVD drive is in my case, but i never use it.
heck it isn't even connected...

>xiaomi phone

Changing a broken hinge on my T420. I already have the part, and it should take 1-2 hours, but I'm too lazy to do it.

This. Mine auto boots into Fedora though. So within a USB keyboard plugged in at the start it'll boot into that.

Looking up how to fix this and restore everything is too complicated for me, so I'm just dealing with it. Wish there was a simple live CD for it.

> (OP)
>THAT
>IS
>NOT
>HOW
>GREENTEXT
>IS
>USED
>FUCK OFF BACK TO WHEREVER YOU CRAWLED OUT OF YOU FUCKING SHITTER
>TOO MANY OF YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES NOT KNOWING SHIT ABOUT THIS SITE AND USING MEMEARROWS TO HIGHLIGHT SOME LINE THATS NOT HOW IT WORKS YOU FUCKING FUCK SHIT

>2016
>Being this mad

Pic related.
Got SSD. Got the right bios settings, and have tried others.
Guesss it's not an easy fix then.

I'm still using an 860w A$29 psu from 4 years ago, keep telling myself to replace it but it's still working fine, so idk...

How do you use it?
Just leave it open all the time?

My thinkpad R30 has issues detecting the wireless card in its pci slot, and instead of removing it like i should, i just let it spit out error messages for a minute while i boot it

You should try messing around in Fedora and trying out new desktops.
It's fun

computer won't boot if the monitor is off or if a usb drive is plugged in.

ctrl+shift switches keyboard layouts

i want to burn cds for my car but my computer doesnt have optical drives, so i use the t61 i got for 40 bucks to do it.

>unplug dvi monitor from gtx680
>hdmi monitor still plugged in
>fan speed goes to 100% when dvi unplugged

Why does this happen? I'm asking or of curiosity since I don't unplug my dvi enough for it to actually bother me

It runs way too fucking hot. I have a shit-tier HP case so there's not a lot I can do without replacing it and I have much more important things to upgrade first, like literally all my components.

AHK macro to switch default audio device, but mmsys.cpl takes 30 seconds to open. Stopped using ultra convenient macro and do it manually.

Laptop complains of invalid partition table taking an extra key press every boot. Everything seems to work.

svchost.exe takes 100% of CPU core 1 of 2 and overheats the laptop to the point of shutdown after a few minutes. Basic virus scans shows nothing, I am told it is either a deeper virus or Windows 7 messing up updates as I have not gone to Windows 10. My lazy plan is to just switch to Windows 10, once I get me data organized, as this is literally stressing my hardware. For now I am just killing the process tree when ever it pops up. This is so wrong, but never have any time with my job.

superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

The Explorer icons of my win7 theme.
I'd just have to overwrite a file in win32

system32*

Laptop hasn't been able to detect dGPU for the past 5 months. Fuck it, don't gaem anymore, only need VS to work.

I've got a fun one that no one has been able to explain so far.

PC runs totally fine. Randomly starts crashing with CPU thermal errors. Can't even get into Windows without it crashing but the PC is running cool. Install Win 10. "Please insert bootable media". Does that with 2 different storage drives. Tested with new psu. No change. Tested with new CPU. No change. Tested with new GPU. It now boots into Windows.

The GPU is somehow making it impossible for the PC to boot into Windows, the only solid conclusion that can be made after months of testing. Anyone got an explanation? I left quite a bit out so don't be surprised when you "know" what's wrong and I tell you you're wrong.

Original PC:
R9 290
FX 8350
8GB RAM
Corsair CX600M
ASUS M5a97 r 2.0
SanDisk SSD
WD Black 1TB

Config that worked (any combination of these parts work):
GTX 750ti
FX 8350/i7
8GB RAM
Corsair CX600M/CX850M
Asrock Fatal1ty/Some shitty Intel board
Sandisk SSD/WD Black/WD Blue

Not technically asking for help, I already have a solution (new gpu), just curious as to how a GPU can make it impossible for my computer to find Windows on my storage devices.

>reduce resolution
>implying it wouldn't at the native resolution already
How the fuck do you expect user to live with a lower-than-native resolution?

I was to lazy to fix minor things on my old pc and it kept getting worse, until i had to warm it up with a hair drier and play with a power supply switch to boot it up.

After I decided to clean it I found a pound of dust inside. After I removed it the whole thing stopped working completely, turn out the dust was keeping it alive.

What I found inside were 10 busted condensers, 1 busted ram slot (it burned out partially), a dead GPU cooler that stopped working a few years prior to that, by the looks of it and a small wasp nest with some dead wasps.

After the whole heating ritual and skipping all the POST errors the whole thing actually worked and even ran games flawlessly. Shouldn't have touched it.

I think that fixed it, thanks.

Now I have to tell you all of the time I had several keyboards hooked into a USB hub as each keyboard was partly broken, but together they had all the keys working. Only cost me one cheap keyboard (~$5) as the manufacture would just send a replacement and let me keep the old one. I have since found really nice keyboards are the local thrift store (~$3), with all the keys working.
Moral is pay less for better products that save you hassle, also never be too cheap and lazy to buy a working keyboard as it really messes with your computer experience.

you poor mammals,
it's Super(=windows-key for the layman) + spacebar

>Wanted to try Windows 10
>installed it yesterday
>drivers for ethernet and network didn't work
>after uninstalling the original and installing the new still nothing
>back to w7

also get an air compressor or use a friends air compressor and blow it into the vent on your laptop, the dust buildup could be causing it to shutdown under load

Did that already, surprisingly found no dust, but blasted it down with compressed air and circuit cleaner.
Think some of these thermal issues are from the battery, gets really hot on charging compared to a few years ago. I'll change it once it dies.

>I've had an ssd in my computer for almost a month and I'm still booting from my hard drive.
Why?

>his laptop shuts down if he uses the CPU