Why are the new GPUs so expensive?

Why are the new GPUs so expensive?

Nvidia announced the 1070 would start at 379, 449 for founders

AMD announced rx480 would be 229 for 4gb

But a quick look on Amazon shows me 500+ for a 1070, and close to 300 for a rx480.

Where can I buy a 449 usd gtx 1070 or a 229 usd rx480?

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump for information

They are not that expensive. Hundreds of dollars is not a lot of money.

They just came out pleb wait for people not buying them then dey will plummet u poor fag

Depends on where you live. In come countries hundreds of dollars is MUCH more than what the average Joe can afford.

It's not just about the cost, I'm just worried about this trend of GPUs getting more and more expensive. Last I know the GTX 970 came out for ~350. Now the 1070 comes out for more than 400.

What about the 1170? Will it hit 450+?

did I goof by buying a 970?

No. It's still good if you don't care about maxing out games.
And cheap as hell.
I bought it 6 months ago.
Sure, I could've gotten the 980, but then I'd have to get a new PSU and CPU.

aight cool, I just want it for the little extra oomf, my 760 can get 60 fps in almost every game after a few settings turned down, just want to play witcher 3 in 60 fps really, ty user

7970 is enough

Don't think so user, the 970 is still good for ultra/high 1080p for a few more years.

What are you talking about?

Is this a masked shill thread or what?

The 480 4gb is $200 flat everywhere I looke and the 8gb varies anywhere from $230 to $250 (depending on if you want a backplate)

Like honestly this shit is getting ridiculous

389.69 US Dollar in IL

ksp DOT co.il/?select=&list=1&sort=1&glist=0&uin=33564&txt_search=480&buy=&minprice=0&maxprice=0

You think you got it bad? The 1070 is $1000 here (yes, a thousand).

1070 or 80?

70 is 691.05 USD for me

1070. The 1080 is about $1300.

Unless you're buying a used 970, it makes more sense to get an aftermarket 480, or if you don't care to OC, a reference 480 (after AMD fixes the power draw problem... if they fix it). And if you hate AMD, you should wait for a 1060.

480:
>on par with 970 in DX11 with early not so great drivers
>has proper DX12 support
>will have SKUs that are very small, fit any case, including ITX
>if you get lucky with a decent chip, it could clock to 1400+ and be faster than a 980, or faster

1060:
>faster than a 970 (presumably)
>DX12 support not amazing
>extremely low power consumption, if the 1080/1070 perf/watt holds true
>benefits in VR performance from simultaneous multi-projection

Buying a new 970 at this point is like throwing away your money. The card is going to be devalued ridiculously fast by a simultaneous node shrink and new architectures. It's been YEARS since a card has been rendered this irrelevant and I don't think people are ready for it.

Do not buy a 970 (new). It's dumb. (also, I've seen a used 970 go for 200 Canadian pesos, that's 150USD)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875
$400 1070.

Shouldn't take more than a week for them to restock. Just be fast when they do.

Link or stfu, everything I've seen is out of stock or insanely expensive.

No it isn't you idiot I live here and its 199.99 that is unless you life in bumfuckland ya fuckin jew

Post a link then you piece of shit shill. Everyone is up charging for the new gpus and it is very hard to find a place that has them in stock selling them at a reasonable price. post link or gtfo

>What about the 1170? Will it hit 450+?

Yes. And you will grateful to have the privilege of paying that much.

*970 is enough

Adjust for inflation

I don't want that to happen. I hope I can expect to pay 350 for a 1170.

The 480 has more or less gutted the used card market due to its price vs performance. It certainly has been a shock to the Nvidia crowd who generally over value their cards when it comes time to sell.

Plus I wouldn't buy a used 970 - i'd prefer a 390 given its the faster card and can into DX12 .

Pic related (remember a 390 performs on par with a 290x generally).

Supply & demand

Partially correct. More along the lines of greedy people taking advantage of stupid people.

I was able to snag a 1070 gtx G1 for 500CHF. It plays EVERYTHING on ultra at 144p. What a beast.

>144p
Even my 20€ gt 630 can do that.

$550 for Cuck editon

Yes in those countries you're probably more interested in affording food than expensive consumer electronics to play games.

Nobody is 'forcing' you to click on buy.
This is how the market works, when there's lack of supply the prices go up. If you don't want it somebody else will buy it.If nobody buys it the price goes down.

It's literally like you fucks are out in the world for the first day when you're surprised that retailer jewing/hoarding first batch electronics occurs.

I make $125k/year and I still consider a 1080 expensive. $600 isn't a ton of money but it's enough to take a good hard look at and question if whatever's costing that much is needed and worth it. In fact, one of the reasons I've been holding off on building a new machine is because I can't justify the cost of a higher-end card but don't want something as weak as a 480/970.

>I still consider a 1080 expensive
That's because you're miserly tight cunt.

Not at all. I have no qualms spending the cost of a 1080 on things that have functionality beyond rendering pretty pictures and crunching numbers.

Spending with indiscretion is a good way to make sure you'll be up shit creek without a paddle when hard times come (employment dry spells, medical bills, unexpected costs, etc). The only way I can comfortably spend with that level of freedom is if I've got enough cash in the bank to comfortably live for a year or more without income. Fuck living paycheck to paycheck with mountains of debt like most of the US does.

So can someone tell me when a good upgrade for dual 7970 GHz over clocked will come. Between this and my 3570k I feel like I'll never get around to upgrading.

Friend, unless you live in Antarctica and need the dual 7970s as a space heater, you can get a 1070 now, or wait for AMD to release the 490 early next year.

I got rid of my 280x. Great price/performance though

This you are the smartest man I have seen on here remember working for 30 years at this pay level is only 3.75 million dollars might as well be chump change.

Is a 1070 a decent upgrade from a 390?