So what's up with the terminal fetishism in the Linux community?

So what's up with the terminal fetishism in the Linux community?

I get that some tools in command line are neat and handy, especially if you're doing sysadmin stuff on a connection, but why the hell do you need clumsy command line Webbrowsers or music players or stock market displays, when their gtk or qt equivalents do a much better job AND are easier on the eye? Seems like lots of poser shit to me.

because how are you going to run a program without a gui genius?

Try helping someone with a problem by using the GUI, it's a fucking nightmare.
Do it in the CL and it's easier because of a standard interface and commands for Mac and Linux

fetishism lol

They are easier to use, you can't script gtk and qt shit.

You say clumsy CLI when I find that it is the opposite - the GUI can be handy but often makes me jump through hoops to do it.

Updates for example. One command on the command line and I see the progress and know exactly what is happening. GUI limits this to a list of packages and a progress bar. Still fine, but takes longer to load and complete and feels unecessary.

I grew up on GUI for like 20+ years. I entered a field where a good chunk of my work involves console output from boxes, and learned to appreciate CLI. Basically when I'm looking at the web interface for a box, I kind of just want to console in since I'll get (certain) tasks done faster. That being said, if it isn't that type of hardware then yes people these days just want to pose with their Gentoo stats screens and inefficient ways.

Put this in your .bashrc so you don't have to waste time typing.
alias ll='ls -alF

Speed, scriptable, universal, need i say more family.

OP here. I get that the CL is useful for scripted data procession, and that it's very adaptable, but I'm not talking about test kinds of things.

Don't tell me your curses-based file browser is in any way more efficient than the gui (other than having keyboard movement by default)

Because when it's all text you can easily take the output from one command to another or write scripts to do complex tasks that rely on multiple commands in a matter of minutes. CLI isn't for everyone anyways.

The only difference between gui and guiless software is that with a gui you are displayed mouse clickable buttons for doing what you want to, while with client they are implicitly available with keyboard buttons.
I prefer client software simply because keyboard presses are faster than moving the mouse around

What is pygtk? What is pyqt?

But these curses programs are a complete eyesore shitfest.

gtk and qt bindings for python, they aren't ways to script gtk and qt apps.

There's good and bad cli software just like there's good and bad gui software (readability wise for what concerns this discussion). For example I use a gui file browser because I find a thumbnail view more readable

Being keyboard based is why I use Ranger most of the time when I need a file browser. Sometimes a GUI based thing is easier though, like when mounting USB sticks or packaging files into archives, and that's when I use PCManFM.

gui's were created to make computers usable for females, faggots, niggers, and low IQs. OP falls into one or more of these categories.

This is you OP:
>me faggot
>me female
>me nigger
>me retarded
>word and letter hard
>word and letter hurt brain
>me need pictures

Crock of shit, if you can type and are literate command line is intuitive and easy.

Its the fastest way to get the most information out of your computer. Plus nearly anything called a computer will run some kind of terminal.

You are a moron.

If that's the case, those apps need to implement Guile.

elitism and edgelord disorder

Who hurt your fee fees?

>So what's up with the terminal fetishism in the Linux community?

They didn't grow up wit a shitty ugly terminal like Window's command prompt.

Low system resources sometimes pretty much force you to rely on cli based applications. I know what you're thinking, upgrade your shitty device, but the beauty of Linux is you are not locked into any sort of system requirements to run it. Embedded devices and such would be left in the cold if it weren't for such features.

Why the fuck would you need a music player that isn't command line or ncurse based? You need visualizers or something?

We have visualizers in terminal music players desu

Not all of them use the command line for everything. I like to use a file manager and a graphical music player.

And some prefer cli music players.
*shrug*
Ripping Pandora right now actually, found a fork of pianobar that records and embeds the album art.

What's better to automate tasks? Directly calling the non-graphical core, which a GUI can also be built on top of, or scripting some shitty framework on top of a non-modular purely graphical program? Hmmm....