/hpg/ - Headphone General

/hpg/ - Headphone General Anonymous 06/26/16(Sun)07:46:44 No.55268975 Archived

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ? Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Takstar-Portable-professional-Headphone-Computer/dp/B0062TV73M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467581239&sr=8-1&keywords=takstar
hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC
hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/sabre-dac-uae23?sort=p.price&order=ASC
hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/9018-dac
hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/9018-dac?sort=p.price&order=DESC
youtube.com/watch?v=nLEhfieoMq8
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/by-type/over-ear-around
rtings.com/
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-600
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-650
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/akg/k702
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/audio-technica/ath-m50x
innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf
rtings.com/images/rtings-headphones-compensation-curve.jpg
amazon.co.uk/Earphones-TechRise-Headphone-Microphone-Definition/dp/B01D2SO2NM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1467603798&sr=1-1&keywords=in ear headphones
theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hi, I recently bought a pair of Samson SR850s and I need a microphone to go with it.
I've seen the V-MODA BoomPro but that's quite expensive considering I wouldn't use it that much. So is there anything cheaper that still is not terrible? Thanks

Take a look at the Zalman ZM1

That seems reasonable. How am I supposed to attach it though, I don't think attaching it to the cable is a good idea, right?

ow

>Budget
up to 50 €
>Location
Germany
>Source
PC
>Preferred type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Quality is king
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral i think
>Past headphones
First headphones I'll buy. Had a shitty logitech headset before

W E W

E

W

>tfw you fell for the m50x meme

It attaches to the cable and works like an in-line microphone.

My cheap IEMs broke, how are the Philips SHE-3590s?

Did KFCHD shilled them too strong for you?

m50 was great for $80 which is the real price before they inflated it and dummies paid it

Aren't you worried about the PRaT and soundstage of that DAC?

I don't know what PRaT is but why should I be worried?, The dac is highly rated and I mostly bought it to kill the 'noise' from my on board. the o2 dac+amp combo is way too expensive.

What dac would you suggest?

He's either memeing you, or he's stupid.

Pace Rhythm and Timing is prat, it's a term used to describe bass, but those things are in no way determined by the DAC.

Sound stage is determined by the recording and headphones, not the DAC.

If you want a good DAC check out the ODAC.

Thanks, but yeah i'm not really interested in the odac because it's too expensive like I already said. I would have loved to have the dac inside my o2 amp but it was way too expensive at the time and I didn't know enough about this hobby back then. Apparently the chip in my sabre dac is the same as the o2 so they can't be that different surely. Some people say that they're nearly exactly the same?, I wouldn't know.

Hey /hpg/ Looking for some buy advice for some "gaming" headphones.

>Budget: £50-75 (poorfag)
>Location: UK
>Source: My desktop.
>Preferred type of headphone: Fullsized
>Open or closed: Open
>Comfort level: Comforts reasonably important as I will be wearing them for extended periods of time.
>Preferred tonal balance: Really not fussed as I'm no audiophile. But would prefer some kind of discernable noise direction.
All insight is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

are you a gamer?

Yes. I will be using them for gaming primarily.

what games do you game, gamer?

Sup Forums - Gaming

The Takstar 2050's are £58 on amazon right now and they're an amazing headphone for the money. They're pretty comfy and they have excellent build quality. Worst case scenario you can return them hassle free with amazon but I highly doubt that you would want to after trying them m8.

amazon.co.uk/Takstar-Portable-professional-Headphone-Computer/dp/B0062TV73M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467581239&sr=8-1&keywords=takstar

Ignore him, he's taking the piss out of you.

Thank you very much. I'll take a look. Cheers for not being a dick like these 2 other imbeciles.

>He's either memeing you, or he's stupid.
Maybe I was a stupid memer.

It's a proprietary design, not a sabre DAC.

If yours is a sabre chip it's probably pretty decent, unless it was from one of those chinese or DIY sites.

>Apparently the chip in my sabre dac is the same as the o2
No it isn't. Stop repeating yourself that they are.
There's two Hifime's for example. Hifime Sabre and Hifime 9018 which you supposedly own.
The first one contains a ES8023 DAC, same chip as ODAC and that Hifime is priced at $42.
The second one contains a ES9018 chip and is priced at $90.

If they're the same then why isn't the price of both Hifime's the same.

*ES9023

ES9023 is sabre too

See Nwavguys blog. It fucking says ODAC uses a 9023!

>olive-welti curve

q701 is shit tho

This is my dac, it sounds good to me and like I said people rate it highly.

hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC

Sell that Hifime and buy the $42 one
Stop saying that yours is apparently the same as ODAC's chip

It's way better than the $42 Hifime USB DAC

hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/sabre-dac-uae23?sort=p.price&order=ASC

Better as in. It upscales with much higher bitrate and sample rate.

Hello!

Why is that cheaper one better than mine?

>!
wow this guy is serious

>hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC
>96kHz and 24 bit

Why didn't you getting this one?
hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/9018-dac

If the HD600 is the best open headphone, why do people spend more for inferior headphones?

Because yours can only do 24 bit / 96 kHz

See

>If the HD600 is the best open headphone
they're not

They're the best for under £400 imo. If you want to spend more that that on headphones then that's your loss.

I did a thing

No. You don't need to sell it. Just stop saying that your 9018 Hifime is the same DAC as ODAC. The $42 Hifime is the only Hifime that has the same usb receiver and DAC chip as ODAC 1st gen. RevB ODAC still uses the same ES9023 chip but different USB receiver.

>spit some bars, gamer
How do you respond?

>M-MUH DAC CAN DO 24/192
>that somehow makes it better

The ear can only hear 96 kHz

Come again?

DOOR STUCK

His 9018 Hifime is the same max bitrate and sample rate as ODAC...

He should have bought the $89 Hifime.
hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/9018-dac?sort=p.price&order=DESC

>32 bit / 384 kHz

Jesus Christ, you are fucking special.

Trips say the truth. Well you're right we don't need high sample rate. But that 32 bitrate should be good right? Higher noise floor isn't it?

Please tell me that guy has no fucking clue m8, I'm tipsy and I don't want to buy a new affordable dac..

>Higher noise floor isn't it?
Lower you mean. 32 bit float is useful for other applications. You are not going to be hearing the noise floor of the standard 16 bit precision. I'd argue that even without dithering you wouldn't be limited by it during listening. The highest quality systems I've seen in audio are capable of 21 bit precision in practice when measured from the output.

Bit depth and sampling rate doesnt effect the dac at all, its just the files it can play

do some research
youtube.com/watch?v=nLEhfieoMq8

I remember hearing (no pun intended ;) ) that the human ear can't hear past 88000hz anyway?

>he can't hear past 88 khz
get your hearing checked, grampa

>he cant hear up to 150,000hz

Not my hearing, it's just what i've seen written m8

name a better open headphone in production and easily acquired online

Mate, he's going to suggest the 702.

Watch.

Do you guys generally agree with the reviews on this site:
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/best/by-type/over-ear-around

they are pretty detailed.

I'm never sure whom to trust; always seems hard to get much out of just FR.

ether
hex
sr-207
oppo pm-2
lcd-2

Every recommendation on that site is garbage besides the hd800 which you should never even have to consider owning.

>rtings.com/
I'm not sure about the grading rubric, but they seem open to discussion and suggestions.
I think they're off to a better start than other audio reviewers, and with the right suggestions, they could make some great recs.

>always seems hard to get much out of just FR.
Frequency response makes and breaks the the sound quality. If it's messed up, then it sound awful, and if it is good, then it'll be passable. It almost determines sound quality by itself.
You can glean lots of information about the engineering and design from it. The choice of pads, the baffle style, enclosure, damping, radiation pattern, and so on.

At the same time, frequency response isn't important, and it isn't something you need to split hairs over.

what's the best introduction to planar magnetic headphones?

oppo pm-2, or hifiman he-400i ?

Regarding the FR. If it's as interpretable as you say, can you help me make sense of something?

let's look at plots for three popular headsets: hd600, hd650, k702, m50x
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-600
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/sennheiser/hd-650
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/akg/k702
rtings.com/headphones/reviews/audio-technica/ath-m50x

The hd600 has the flattest FR. Why is it getting the worst score (a 7.9) amongst these?

They rate k702 and hd650 with higher sound scores, but most of the FR doesn't look better to me?

meanwhile, how on earth is m50x getting 7.9 with such rollercoaster FR? And it has a big dip early in the bass, but that headphone is supposed to have good bass?

lastly, treble above 2k always looks like bullshit to me. I listen to music that uses frequencies above that though so I never know what to think

Honestly lots of FR plots don't seem to match what people say about the headphones. Also V shape is never as pronounced as people say

I quit

To say more, based on the following plots, I'd say he-400i is the most neutral, but apparently that is not true at all?

innerfidelity.com/images/HiFiMANHE4002014.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf
innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR009.pdf

so how to interpret these?

pm-2 for a warm sound sig, 400i for a bright.

rtings use compensated graphs but don't say anything about the compensation curve being used. pretty useless.

>so how to interpret these?
the grey FR has to match the blue one in my pic. good luck.

>m50 bass
They value the bass extension more. The early dip (~300 Hz) falls into low midrange.

>Why is it getting the worst score (a 7.9) amongst these?
Reading through each subsection gives the answer.
>Bass (7.1)
>Mid (8.9)
>Treble (7.7)
The bass rolloff detracts from the score, and they pick on the high treble spikes. The high treble is stuff that would usually be discarded as not able to be meaningfully measured, besides some measure of treble extension.

>treble above 2k always looks like bullshit to me
There isn't a dummy head built to be reliable above 10 kHz, it is futile to try. Into the treble, leakage effects have petered out, making way for intricate angle-dependent wave behavior with the outer ear.
This is how you hear up from down, and make sense of direction, but it serves to frustrate measurement generality, as these resonances are unique to each person's ears, and the two ears rarely match. These really take hold from 5 kHz and up.
I'm not sure what you mean by
>I listen to music that uses frequencies above that

>Honestly lots of FR plots don't seem to match what people say about the headphones.
There are several problems here:

-They have no idea what they are hearing
-Even if they did, personal taste does exist
-What one person can tolerate is unlistenable for someone else

Rting's correction curve is here:
rtings.com/images/rtings-headphones-compensation-curve.jpg

>AES 9382
That curve does not apply. Tyll's head has a very notable difference from the gear used by Harman, and most other heads. You have to be able to adjust the difference mentally or else it won't work.
He did go off and perform new in-room measurements, which can potentially be used for future reference.

I have my eyes set on RHA ma750, do you know of better iems for electronic music at arround that price?

>do you know of better iems for electronic music at arround that price?
Nope.

Consider that the vsonic GR07 classic is available for me at that price, but they seem far too neutral.

I had the GR07 (before there was a classic which I hear is worse) which was replaced by the MA750. The Ma750 are sound bit better and better made (not to mention three times longer warranty).

My Piston 3's mesh broke and came out after I stabbed it trying to even out the volume (left earbud was barely audible). Now that it's prone to earwax and sounding harsh, will it be inevitably unbearable?

You can replace the mesh with some sort of microfiber sheet, but I won't be able to pick the density and thickness for you.

The most neutral phones he measured that is also in current production is the Shure SRH1840. It also doesn't sound very good, but the balance is great. Hopefully you can deduce for yourself why that might be.

009 isn't really neutral, the treble is somewhat reduced with a midrange bump (the typical Stax sound), with only the treble bump around 8-10 kHz to counterbalance it (also typical, but it usually is more than a bump).
The treble bump is more of a spike on 400i, and there isn't much of a midrange boost.
People tend to rag hard on treble peaks, and that it comes in the middle a large valley makes it stand out a bit on 400i.

The bottom and top octave (20-40, 10-20k) don't tie in much to the overall spectral balance. The HD 600 is generally only a few dB off from 40 to 10k (red channel looks busted), and less than most other headphones.
Tyll's correction curve is a little funky, and he should not have bothered to switch away from diffuse field equalization. He made the decision to go with the alternate curve when he was fawning over the HD800 and its midrange dip, and was wondering about alternate curves. It took him a while to fess up to his current compensation over-representing midrange.

Ultimately, I don't think it is worth investigating the FR curve in this way. Sean Olive's research and Tyll's hunt for a better compensation has no bearing on my listening.
Parametric EQ exists to sculpt whatever response you want, and it works very well at that. FR isn't irrelevant, but you have to look at it in a different way than just seeing how close it is.

>[waiting for RHA750 users to reach critical mass]
There isn't any such thing as far too neutral, and genre doesn't relate to FR, especially if you paint such a broad stroke as electronic music.
In fairness to the gr07-ma750 comparison, the gr07 has much less isolation. I still don't know what you actually want.

>Budget
$300-$400
>Past headphones
ATH-M50X

Just looking for the next step up, preferably a more balanced tone. Maybe something for classical music. Recommend me some dacs/amps too as well please.

Any of the big 3. HD600, K702, DT880.
Schiit stack or O2+ODAC is the go to, E10k if you're a cheapo.

I impulse bought these because I needed some cheapo headphones I could take to niggerville niggertown and not feel too bad if they get stolen, but holy shit I wasn't expecting them to be this good.
Roast me

Recently my old headset which lasted me a few years got busted and now I'm looking for a new relatively cheap (under 100$) headset.

I've been found two promising candidates, the HyperX Cloud, as well as the Logitech 430 and I'd like to know which one /hpg/ would buy and if there is a 3rd better option. Thanks.

Get the HyperX, as good as it will get.
Of course the usual suggestion is to not buy gaymer shit, but if you want to be a moron at least try to not get too assfucked.
Go with the HyperX

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I fly a lot, sometimes internationally on 8 hour flights.

What do you recommend for me?

QC25 is literally made for people like you.
It's not the best in sound quality, it's rather mediocre considering the price. What it does have is ANC specifically for low frequencies, like plane engines, and is very comfortable.

Need help for my secondary headphone

>Budget
$100 Max
>Location
US OF A
>Source
x220, macbookpro, audio jack of headphone
>Preferred type of headphone
full sized (detachable cable is strongly preferred)
>Open or closed
either one is good
>Comfort level
Anything that doesn't squish my head
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral
>Past headphones
Sennheiser 202(dead), various iphone earphones, Sennheiser 555 (dying), ATH MSR7 (Using one right now and love it)

i'm looking for a cheap as fuck IEM

are these any good? JVC HAFX1X

Thanks

>audio jack of headphone
I meant audio jack of monitor

these IEMs any good? no negative reviews on amazon
amazon.co.uk/Earphones-TechRise-Headphone-Microphone-Definition/dp/B01D2SO2NM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1467603798&sr=1-1&keywords=in ear headphones

We don't have much info in no-name chink brands. If you really want to be that much of a jew try asking /csg/, if not, cough up 20 bucks and get a pair of Pistons.

Any closed headphones with good isolation, like the DT770, or most IEMs as they have around 30dbs of isolation which is as good or better to any active cancellation set.

when was the last Sup Forums headphone list made? Most of the IEMs on the wiki are outdated

just use this website for iems theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

None of these are as neutral as the HD600.
Haven't heard the SRH1840, why doesn't it sound very good? Distortion? Lack of bass?

where do i go to ask about bluetooth portable speakers brehs??

Is there ever a time to unironically buy these things?

160 CAD

Should I get the HD800 and install the Super Dupont resonator or save up for the HD800S?

just get those tacstar $60 headphones and chill out

Stock. Either way, you'll still get hit with mad diminishing returns.