480 Power Issues

Why did AMD fuck up so bad? Doesn't make any sense how they let this thing ship.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAlrGzHAkI

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LxiZqQVXuzA
youtube.com/watch?v=xk24cU5ldhk
youtube.com/watch?v=w-3fi1ovAP0
youtube.com/watch?v=2kjIHgq2zBU
youtu.be/ysnHdXqG7Gw
community.amd.com/thread/202410
youtube.com/watch?v=xtely2GDxhU&feature=youtu.be&t=2h16m23s
forums.geforce.com/default/board/172/geforce-1000-series/
youtu.be/ZjAlrGzHAkI
youtu.be/2l7ErTsvhxg
youtu.be/kFuYc2FHgjw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's baffling, isn't it?

I think they thought it would fly under the radar and they wanted to have the 480 reference in OEM machines which often only have a 6pin.

At any rate, the Sapphire model with 8pin is looking good, but I'm getting the 470 instead which is where the GOAT value will be at.

>hype card as having gtx 980 performance
>actually has gtx 970 performance
>has to be downgraded to gtx 960 performance so it wont burn your mobo

bravo AMD

They're already losing market share so they needed to put something out there to remind people that they're still around and give something for their rabid fanmob to fap over.

>hype card as having gtx 980 performance
They never claimed that

They said two of them would equal a 1080, so that means 1 should be a 980

This guy tested it with budget systems, it worked fine

It's an issue, but it's something they can easily fix on the reference cards probably with a slight loss in performance

Otherwise anyone with half a brain is waiting for the after market models with 8 pin connectors and better power delivery, hopefully a lot of those cards can hit 1400mhz stable

youtube.com/watch?v=LxiZqQVXuzA

Um no? the 1080 is not twice as fast as 980 SLI in DX11 or 12 gaming, it's only in VR vs stock 980s in games that use Nvidia's VRworks portion of Gameworks for multi-projection and Single Pass Stereo(whatever that one was called)

and we have Crossfire 480 testing that shows it just below a 1080 in most games that aren't Ashes and that are decently optimized for crossfire

Will the 8pin even fix the shitty power design of the board? Im hoping so but then the sapphire guy said the 480 doesnt really need 8 pin

We don't actually know until it comes out. Wait for reviews for sure.

Not 100% sure but I believe Sapphire are one of the better brands when it comes to board design/VRMs and that sort of stuff. I think MSI's "Lightning" cards are the best though.

No. They said 2 CAN beat a 1080, they never even mentioned the 980.

The fact that the reference overheating throttling piece of shit was between a 970 and 980 was actually nice to see. I'll pick up a gigabyte once custom coolers are out.

What annoys me is everything after GCN 1.0 has no RAMDAC.

I have to pay extra for performance and use Nvidia

1080 is roughly equal to to 980 SLI, therefore people deduced that a 480 would be equal to a 980.

Turns out AMD was just using Ashes of course which skewed all their results.

Ashes is just the best case scenario for AMD, along with the new hitman game, and anything that properly utilizes A-sync with DX12

Sli scales worse than crossfire and I assumed that was common knowledge...

mate you be trolling amd is still the KING OF FUCKING GPUs. wbhile nviviashite is still lying about key components of their cards. kek cucks.

itt: nvidia shills being paid by nividi ato shill on Sup Forums to shill and diminish th eimage of amd and are getting checks paid to shill

Yeah it's all just a big conspiracy. In fact pcper, Tom's Hardware and Science Studio are all in on the conspiracy to hurt AMD.

youtube.com/watch?v=xk24cU5ldhk

This has nothing to do with budget systems. It's a slot machine. I dont know what the odds of winning are, but they are not zero. Specially since mobo pcie is already ovrrspecced unlike 6 pin which is massively underspecced

Yeah it's already burned out pcie slots on a few motherboards.

The thing I'm worried about is that even if it works in your machine for a while, who knows how long it will last?

Because it basically didn't, if AMD had designed the thing properly I forget now, but supposedly they aren't even fully utilizing the 6 pin, which is safer to go ever spec on anyway.

They put the 8 pin to alleviate everyone's fears and raise the OC ceiling. I think it's a good idea.

>Shilling the NVIDIA cards badly
Reminder that AMD has open source [spoiler]BSD support.[/spoiler]

They're cutting the 1080 in half to make the 1060, which will make it less powerful than a 980. It will compete with the 480. Sli and xfire are usually not 200% performance.

All in all, sounds about right. They just cherry picked a game and cards are really good in. Dx12 gives them a big boost.

Yeah the OP video talks about how they could've just used more power on the 6 pin and it would've been fine.

I think AMD might already be out of business if not for sapphire. They should be tongue bathing their balls at this point.

[reliable citation needed]

I'm using that fucking card right now.
no problems.

I will probably improve performance actually as the boost clock will have more headroom from running cooler. Google undervolting rx 480.

>hopefully a lot of those cards can hit 1400mhz stable
Have any of the review samples, which tend to be choice selections, been able to get above 1300?

1390mhz here I think it's over 1300mhz anyways, he's hit the power limit after water cooling, so we'd need more power for more voltage, assuming it doesn't fry the card

youtube.com/watch?v=w-3fi1ovAP0

Nobody overclocked the review samples because they were pulling 200w at the PCI-E slot during OC
Well at least anyone with the equipment to measure such things.

>nviashlkjss kekcuksdct
>Babby babbling
Your tears are delicious, Pajeet. A little spicy, but not too bad.

That was the 1080, here's the 480 video, Thanks Obama

youtube.com/watch?v=2kjIHgq2zBU

Tons of people overclocked the 480 without issue

It's really not all that egrigious. They can send out a firmware/microcode update with a driver release that could do one of three things, from most to least likely.

>reprogram the card to forcibly use less power overall
>reprogram the card to draw a 55/45 6 pin/PCIe slot ratio instead of 50/50ish
>figure out some software autotune that finds the appropriate lowest voltage for stock speeds per card

Isn't the reason the 480 draws more than 75w from the PCIe slot is because it's already drawing the maximum 75w from the 6pin?

No, there are plenty of other cards that even go over the max on the 6 pin and draw only like 30w on the slot.

The 480 actually overdraws on both the slot and the 6 pin.

I have no idea why AMD decided to make it draw so much from the slot, somebody just fucked up bad.

That doesn't matter. You can draw more than max from the 6 pin. It's mechanically a pretty beefy connector.

They fucked it by splitting the vcore power between the pcie and the 6 pin, when the 6pin alone couldve done the job. Indian """""engineering"""""

>Why did AMD fuck up so bad

>Backup components are switched on to deal with defects on the chip
>All the backups draw power from the pci slot
>Particularly bad chips go unnoticed in power testing

I don't get it, the PCIe specs are quite clear on what you can draw over the bus so either they have incompetent engineers or dishonest ones.

Guys where can I buy this card?

Its AMD so I think everyone knows which one is the answer

quad quads has spoken the truth

Why are people like this allowed to use the internet?

It was tested externally.

stop spreading memes you don't even understand

it's because they bumped the clocks and voltage up last minute because the original stock clocks (1080mhz) were 10-20% behind the 970 across the board.

similar thing happened with the fury x, which was originally supposed to be 950 or 1000mhz but they had to oc the stock to 1150mhz in an attempt to match the 980ti's performance

Why would you want to buy a GTX 470? Ebay.

>fixed by simple driver update
>3.5GB will never be fixed
POO IN LOO

>AMD Driver update.

The 6 pin is wired like an 8 pin. You can pull like 350W from it if you want. The problem is that the card is pulling too much from the slot despite having all the power it needs available.

People are trying to reprogram the VRM controller to make it draw more power from the pin and less from the slot as we speak

>not waiting for custom boards

ITT: AyyMdrones taking their words back.

No they said it was 980ti killer. Overclocked it kept up with the 1080.

Now look at it. Id rather have a 390x

THE RULE IS THE SAME AS NVIDIA'S REFERENCE CARD

DO NOT BUY REFERENCE CARD

YOU FUCKTWATARD

The aftermarket 480s are going to be as bad, just with less cooling issues.
Overclocking....pfft check the video
youtu.be/ysnHdXqG7Gw

Didn't Sapphire got the PCI-e powerdraw fixed with their nitro 480 ? I didn't really followed what was happening in general since the 1080, I just heard there was some shit going on with every release.

Not sure as yet. I will wait to see what these cards are like & what fixes AMD brings out before I comment!

All right Sup Forums, any mobo is kill because the 480 yet? no? Then it's FUCKING NOTHING

Ding ding. WRONG
community.amd.com/thread/202410

>3.5
What do you mean? I bought 970 myself, should I be worried?

No, I never had issues with my 970 whatsoever.
It could have been a lot worse for you, you could have bought a rx480 deep fat fryer.

>PS: This webm shows my OCed 970 running at 55 degrees and using over 4gigs of ram - Notice those massive 20 fps drops.

Wait, is this the best card of the new series?

oh look another paid nvidia shill thread on Sup Forums

>amd says between 970-980
>paid nvidia shills overhype the card to pascal titan levels
>amd release the card where they said
>paid shills goes on rampage and starts crying 3.5tears per second
>card is doing fine using 5 watts more on pcie
>nvidia drones skyrocket it on 500 watts
meanwhile
>tom peterson just gives a flip to whoever asks for async and nvidia
youtube.com/watch?v=xtely2GDxhU&feature=youtu.be&t=2h16m23s
>nvidia forums are FULL of serious problems
forums.geforce.com/default/board/172/geforce-1000-series/
>defected cards all over the places
>people already crying on tech sites
>shit is about to get real

Can you make me a tinfoil hat just like yours?
Yep theres nothing wrong with the 480s at all.
I mean its not like AMD have released a statement regarding some issues.....oh hang on.

>card is doing fine using 5 watts more on pcie

youtu.be/ZjAlrGzHAkI
youtu.be/2l7ErTsvhxg
youtu.be/kFuYc2FHgjw

Want more?

if paid shills didnt overtriggered over 5 fucking watts nothing really would have gone wrong
but idiotic people always bite

posting pcper as an evidence its like bill gates saying that w10 doesnt collect info on you

This guy is frootloopy. Im guessing you use Linux as you dont want windows spying on you. All that top secret shyte you have and everything.
You opitimise basement dwelling

actually i have arch and 14295.rs1 version of windows
so no try again paid shill

So it was the shills then that make the gpu overpower and draw extra? wow I didnt know this was possible

Is arch a make of tinfoil? or is it a type of foil hat?

It is because reference 480s were orignally targeted for a 150W TDP envelope but Polaris chips didn't meet performance goals within that envelope. AMD was forced to bump clockspeeds to get their performance goal at the last minute which made the 480 into a "225W TDP card".

They didn't have the time to afford another delay for a redesign and AMD wanted to beat 1060 to $199-249 punch.

Current 480 reference cards are the unfortunate reason.

>overpower

literally the card was going on overvoltage on boost mode from 1.1 to 1.3 and it was failing to undervoltage back to 1.1 this was the problem
now idiots like pcper that claimed the card was stealing all the power from chernobyl by just going up 0.2 on the voltage is just stupid beyond understanding

>not having 16 or 14 pin connectors

Wait for the reviews to see. If Sapphire based their board on the standard AMD design, it may not actually be fixed.

its the best type of tin foil hats
fully programmable
fully controlable
and not a single window to upgrade on w10

and this is why you don't cherry pick benchmarks. people will take it at face value and the hype will end up fucking you in the ass.

So why have AMD admitted theres a problem and literally every single reviewer has come out with the same point?
Also how do videos show the actual amount the cards pull when you say this is simply total fabrication?

its not a desing problem its a bios problem..

>that guy that says it burnt the 3 pci-e of his mobo,
Either he's lying or just retarded

>forums.geforce.com/default/board/172/geforce-1000-series/

Reference 1080s are a fucking joke. They run dangerously close their power envelope at load and the stock HSF is shit-tier. Throttling is known issue with people with subpar chassis cooling.

Founder Edition = Money-grab Edition for impatience Nvidiot drones.

There are at least 3 cases I know of, I'm sure more and more will be coming. The scary thing about this is it could take a while to kill your mobo over time, so you could run your 480 fine for months and then bam your pcie slot is dead.

I need one user

did you even read what i said? or just paid shills have a template for every answer?

It's a big deal because it goes 2 amps over the pcie slot spec.

This causes it to heat up and damage the connectors.

>not having 22

shiggy

Not sure what you're talking about, pcper is a very reputable site.

Then again those who have them and have them setup properly dont have issues.
Under load 60% fan 67-72 degrees.
There is no issue,no throttling.
IF you ram the gpu in and let it hit 82 with fans at 30% then yes you will throttle and deservedly so

>not having 32

since when pcper did actually said anything good for amd?

its a nvidia pr shill site nothing more

Guys the fix is easy, just do this to your card

That's hilarious considering pcper used to be Amdmb.com

ok today we learned that pcper is actually a very reputable site

i think i need to go and die now

Your Retarded user