So i finally want to get a smartphone but i cant stand apple nor google so i am looking for alternatives

So i finally want to get a smartphone but i cant stand apple nor google so i am looking for alternatives

Are the Ubuntu Phones worth checking out or is Ubuntu Touch unusable at its current state.

I dont really care for the phone specs/apps shit all i need is a device that lets me access the net, take pics and work as a mp3 player

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/phone/devices
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Try Gentoo smartphone. Or better compile your own

ubuntu.com/phone/devices
>All of them sold out
Is there really that much demand?

Meizu 5 Pro Ubuntu edition user here. It's very much a beta OS still. And buying it I expected basically Ubuntu with a touch interface, when in actuality in many aspects it's a different OS, largely due to the fact that they use Mir as the display server.

There's 1 available browser, which cannot store passwords and will not solve image captcha.
The OS doesn't ship with a terminal and you need to sign up for an account with canonical to get it. That said it's a pretty good terminal.
Using apt-get install sometimes breaks parts of the system.
The interfaces is nice, but stutters even with the 5 Pro's impressive internals.
The passcode you enter to unlock the phone is also your user's password and so if you set the phone to not ask for a password to unlock you sudo privileged user will have no password.

When/if they improve the browser and add support for snap packages, which should theoretically eliminate the problems with apt, I'd be happy with it, but so far it has been a big disappointment.

That and ordering from jd.com ( joybuy) it took them over a month to ship it to me, which was after I couldn't submit my order due to their site being broken and having to pester them for a couple of days to fix it.

Oh and I can set the system language to that of my admittedly small Eastern Euro country, but I can't set the keyboard language to it.

>Ubuntu Phones
Hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahaahhahahaha

Firefox OS called. He wants his shitty OS idea back.

go for a Nexus and install Ubuntu on it.

Some phones now are powerful enough, why cant you just install a real OS like Windows or a full linux distribution?

>linux phone
enjoy no apps and instability

that being said Ubuntu phone is still a beta and is unpractical to use.

i would recommend Sailfish OS, better design, more stable.

OP if you don't care about apps and just want to use it as an mp3 player and for the camera, there is literally no reason not to use android

you are going to have to go to A LOT of trouble to make your phone less reliable and stable then just use it to play MP3s?

makes no sense

>Recommending a fisherprice OS.
Kys retarded nigga. Normalfags recommending shit are the cancer killing the thread, I´m sure that you are a special snowflake with your shitty OS and you feel like its a hidden piece of software.

Laughting at you fucking neckbeard hipster.

This, a nexus 5 and you can try several OS's

>Normalfags

> It's very much a beta OS still.
Damn. Meanwhile I'm waiting for pic related.

FirefoxOS is alive and well on Panasonic smart TV's

I have the Ubuntu tablet and I pretty ouch confirm it.

It's pretty fun to play around with, but when I want to get some real shit done, I grab my OP3.

If you don't like Google, just install CyanogenMod on your phone. It will be a lot less of a hassle.

I would only recommand Ubuntu touch to people who use their phone mainly for calling and texting.

Why would you post a selfie?

Even mozilla knows how much of a failure that bastard is. They killed support on may, google it. You uneducated twat

>They killed support
Panasonic took the code base and is using it. Do some research you mongoloid.

thats not even a b8 at this point its just a hook

Awesome, the world's best selling cellphone company took the code! /s

Why not just use cyanogenmod without GApps?

Then it sounds pike you literally don't need more than pic related.

Windows Phone, Lumia 640

>that being said Ubuntu phone is still a beta and is unpractical to use.

Is Ubuntu phone *ever* going to be ready for release?

I seem to recall installing an early demo on my Nexus 10. That was back in 2013!

BB10OS is the best phone OS

I bought that because it had good specs and was being blown out at something like $40.

Windows 10 Mobile is the worst POS I've ever used. I've never been as consistently aggravated with a piece of technology as I was with the Lumia 640 and Wn 10 Mobile.

God, just every fucking day it was something not working right, or some shitty, weird UI issue.

The only things that impressed me were the account configuration (multiple Google email addresses, a Yahoo address), and the battery life. Everything else was shitty.

*crickets chirping in the distance*

What?

Maybe, maybe not.
Shuttleworth seems think it likely, considering he's still throwing money at it.

Cuckberry OS has been dead for eons.

I was excited about it initially. It looked like the first step toward a unified pocket computer where you could use it as a phone and mobile browser, then get to work, plug it into HDMI and use a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and keep using it a desktop communication (email, messaging, SSH, light web browsing) device.

Here it is three years later and I still can't do that smoothly.

Nah

It doesn't look like it's available on the Nexus 6p. Will it eventually come to it?

I doubt it. I doubt it will ever make significant inroads into 1st world, decent phones. I think it's just going to appear in China and Africa on really shitty phones, and maybe eventually in the US on Ubuntu branded, mid-tier phones.

Then it's going to drop entirely out of view for developed countries because nobody will care. They're taking too long to deliver any meaningful functionality, all while focusing on pie in the sky marketing.

Also, the 5X and 6P have weird support for Project Fi. I doubt that Ubuntu Touch/Phone/Whatever will ever support the radio properly.

just like Ubuntu itself its a never ending beta and allot of things will be broken or unoptimized. the UI is also unpractical.
Sailfish has way more potential imo
agreed, its the best CURRENT OS, the best OS ever made is still windows mobile 6 and 6.5.

people who used WM 6.5 know what i'm talking about.

>just like Ubuntu itself its a never ending beta and allot of things will be broken or unoptimized. the UI is also unpractical.

That's not a remotely valid comparison. Ubuntu has been used by tons of people getting real work done every day for years.

Ubuntu Touch is still little more than a demo.