Gtx970 vs rx480. what to buy

Hey Sup Forums should I buy a gtx 970 now? Its up for $350 in my country and seems like a steal. The 1070 is $950 and absolutely beyond my budget.

I have an AMD a10-5800k which I can overclock to 4.5ghz stable. Also got 12gigs of 1333 MHz ram, a nice gigabyte mobo and a good power supply. I don't need an sad as my PC boot time is just 40seconds.

I only intend to use this build for 1080p gaming. I've heard that gtx 970 outright kills the AMD rx 480 in terms of performance too. And the 970 is cheaper in my country. And online benchmarks confirm this.

The 970 can also future proof me for vr I'm hoping, although I will probably only get into vr after I've confirmed its not a meme and the headset prices drop.

Also I intend to get a bequite aircooler or something for over clocking my apu.

TLDR; should I buy a Asus strix gtx 970 4gb for $350? Its cheaper than the rx480 in my country.

Also not bait thread as literally everyone living outside of america has the same prob. the 970 is either cheaper or equal to the RX 480 in price and seems to have better performance. Even in america the msi970 4gb is just $249

Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/amd-rx-480-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-1080-ashes/
guru3d.com/news-story/early-batches-of-radeon-rx-480-4gb-cards-actually-do-have-8gb-memory.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq47qmwcus8
overclock.net/t/1603915/any-official-polaris-threads-coming-soon
youtube.com/watch?v=uxnFv8cnjZA
youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5ZCJah-FY
massdrop.com/buy/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-armor-8g-oc
3dmark.com/3dm/12838370
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

AMD drivers are shit

>970
Its $280, minimum over here.

My ssd will give me an 8 second boot time.

Why in the fuck would you think 3.5gb of vram is more future proof vs 8?

There is an overall 3% difference between 970 vs 480, and the OC versions of the 480 have not even dropped.

But BSD has open source AMD support.

Open Source AMD drivers are better than their proprietary counterparts anyway

3.5 GB

>msi970 4gb

Fuck off shill, were full in here

sage

I think we live in the same country, and i'm also in the same shoes regarding having to make this same decision.

Right now i'm waiting to see how the 1060 performs since it will probably cost the same as a 970.
objectively speaking though, the rx 480 is more future proof which is a no brainer.

Still i'll need a REALLY good reason to pay for a company that funds islamic terror.

Terrorism is funny

sauce?

>$229.99

Pls Learn to search properly senpai.

I only want to game at 1080p so I have no need for 8gb vram, and as I said the 480 is much more expensive. The 480 is $560+ in my country for the 4gb.

Plus I thought the 970 was minimum requirement for vr and isn't the 4gb 480 the same as the 970?

Damn son, 40 seconds is slow, I boot up in like 15 and I have a regular 7200 rpm hard drive.

Is this real? How is it only $229?

>reference cooler

Wait for the 1060, it blows the 480 out of the water and won't set your motherboard on fire.

except it's not reference you fucking idiot

480 because of DX12 and Nvidia gimping their older cards, but if 970 is significantly cheaper in your place then just get 970

GTX970 strix is very slightly better than ref RX480, when overclocked it should perform better to about the same but be a lot quieter.

RX480 aftermarket in late july seems to be the best deal.

GTX1060, if pricing rumors are true, is going to be retardedly overpriced and not worth waiting for.

That is not a reference cooler, it is a fucking leaf blower though. I had a 960 with one of those bolted on.

Figure out which games you play most or want to play and go from there, If they are heavily gimped towards either team buy that one.

Looks like that Apple graph that shows 2 is a bigger number than 1. Anyone have that picture?

Bravo Nvidia, I can't believe 1.15 performance is better than 1. Wow.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/amd-rx-480-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-1080-ashes/

>The result on the Ars UK rig? 55.2FPS to the dual RX 480s and 57.2 to the GTX 1080. So it's close—very close. But no matter how much I tried, I couldn't get the dual RX 480 setup close to the 62.5FPS figure that AMD quoted during its stage presentation.

'It's Okay if AMD does it.'

see

RX 480 is far superior in any regards, and will be even more so in the coming months.

>The 970 can also future proof me for vr
How retarded are you? 970 is the MINIMUM standard set by Oculus and HTC/Steam. The 1060 will be significantly better for VR because of simultaneous multiprojection.

The 970 won't age well where you need it, aka games that come out a year or two from now when your card is getting taxed at 1080p, especially if games get built for Win10/Dx12, like Microsoft's exclusive titles. Having said that, the 970 is a good card for DX11. Your buying decision rests on the price difference (which you didn't state) and how long you want to keep the card.

Do yourself favor and at least buy 980. It doesn't have the 3.5 problem (which can hurt you a lot in some games - GTA4 for example) and their prices are dropping even faster than 970.

guru3d.com/news-story/early-batches-of-radeon-rx-480-4gb-cards-actually-do-have-8gb-memory.html

3.5/4GB vs 8GB/4GB

Literally anti-970.

>970 is the MINIMUM standard set by Oculus and HTC/Steam.

yes, a reference 970 is the minimum. once OCed a 970 is a much better card and performs on par with the $500 980 and 390x. you won't get a similar OC from a 390 or 480, which makes the 970 a much better value for 1080p gaymen.

>RX 480 is far superior in any regards,

except for performance, perf/watt and motherboard safety

literally the only competitiveness the 480 has at this point is price

>you won't get a similar OC from a 480

AMD hasn't released a single card that could gain 30-40% performance (like gm206, 204 and 200 can) from an OC since the stock 7970, which only happened because that card was clocked laughably low out of the box.

>OCing a card that draws unsafe amounts of power over the pcie bus

do you WANT your GPU to destroy your motherboard?

because surely the card will draw ALL THE POWER through the pcie

being this stupid

>i don't know how electricity works!

if you increase the voltage, more current is going to flow through both the pcie bus and power connectors.

no shit sherlock....
this meme is being already old..
he begs to differ
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq47qmwcus8

stock voltage is probably way too high

>youtube

link a credible reviewer or gtfo, everyone else has problems getting even a 50mhz overclock on this motherboard destroying card

this could be the case, most gpus from nvidia and amd usually ship with way too much voltage. i actually got a better OC on my 970 by undervolting it by ~50mv because of the crappy vrms evga puts on it's cards.

Probably because the proprietary counterparts don't exist. Kek

that's just ridiculous

there are already many owners on ocn that literally will make you shut up
overclock.net/t/1603915/any-official-polaris-threads-coming-soon
paid shill running out of excuses

Your cpu is weak, you'll be better off with the 970 since AMD drivers will hold you back.

Unless you're going to upgrade your cpu to an i5 6600k

and drivers will hold you back
thinks dx11 will be relevant for years
lel
buy nvidia
the way its meant to stutter
youtube.com/watch?v=uxnFv8cnjZA

top kek the fury x can't even maintain 30 fps, guess the 1080 is truly the only good card for 1440p gaming

thats your problem that fury x is freesync capped
not that novidia is once again caught lying about their async usage
lel

>thats your problem that fury x is freesync capped

it's not 'capped' by anything. later in the video you can see fps go up when in scenes that aren't as demanding, the fury x just can't keep up with even a stock 1070.

its the freesync
if you dont know how it works why the hell you even post?

the problem is that once more as with aots nvidia just doesnt deliver

>there's no dx11 games on the market op may want to buy
>op has to use w10 botnet because AMD doesn't want to fix drivers
>actually supporting a company too lazy to fix drivers for the products they sell

Nice.

amdsync isn't being used in that video, it's not even mentioned anywhere in the video or it's description

you're grasping at straws, pajeet. hopefully now that the 480 has failed your H1B can be revoked and ayymd can be sold to someone who can make good products

there is no dx11 game that 480 cant play anymore literally every single bench is showing that lol
also yeah we know "dx12 is irrelevant" depsite the fact that almost all big AAA are dx12 nowdays hmm

do you even know what is freesync? or how it works?
unless someone creates a specific macro for it every time a game is launched freesync is on by default..
thus giving that fluid gameplay
on the other hand when you do async on the cpu and on OS instead of the card you get your ass kicked
cant imagine how much of a fail 1080 will be when 490 and the big boys come..

970 and 390 are both better options than the 480. with the 480 you're literally just buying lesser performance for the same money, as well as a motherboard replacement in the future.

Yeah because all the games were benched with 6700k, COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT

>unless someone creates a specific macro for it every time a game is launched freesync is on by default..

[citation needed]

you are lying and trying to backpedal now, top kek H1B scum

top KEK

I'm buying AMD because microsoft will be pushing dx12 for the xbox stuff. It is the only way that they might beat Playstation.

Unfortunatelly seems like that the 480 won't clock for shit. If the reference model wasn't so fucking hot I would buy it.

Should I get the R9 390 for $316, or a R9 390x for $360

(The Reference RX 480 cost $370 in my country.)

top kek indeed

being this paid shill

>im buying amd
>card is hot 80c
>card goes up to 1500mhz
card cant clock
card is hot

is a gtx 960 4gb worth it for 170 euros? or r9 380 4gb for 10 more?

the low memory on the 970 could be a problem in the future

delet dis
we all know aots hitman forza 6 total warhammer literally every dx12 except rotr is a broken game and a benchmark

>AMD drivers are shit
Meanwhile I'm sitting comfortably on my Sapphire R9 390 for the last 7 months and havent had a single issue.

Please stay mad, nVidiot.

>GTX 970
>3.5gb cuck
>RX 480
>Housefire nodrivers
pick your poison

For the love of god, get anything but the 380/380X, they're crashing all day and night.

Just do a google search on "380 black screens" or sweep through the AMD forums.

I managed to refund it after 8 months of use, gonna buy a 1060/1070 now.

black screen is a common problem of amd..
and its get fixed by downclocking 100mhz the memory

He couldn't even hit 1500mhz, did you even watched the video?

He put 1,3v to be able to reach 1480mhz. Do you expect to be able to reach the same results with a cheapass cooler strapped above the board?

>RX 480 launches a few months before zen
>AMD desperate for sales decides to make cheap gpu
>Implement plan with said gpu to kill mobos and force users to upgrade their base platform
>Poor fags decide to wait for zen to buy new mobo/ cpu
>AMD laughs all the way to bankruptcy

could be the unstable factory OC they gave the rebrands or overheating VRMs forcing the GPU to shut down. try undervolting/underclocking and it might help with issues like that.

he literally showed 1500mhz
paid shills now in so damage control that they are questioning even the pixels

Yes if you can get a 970 cheaper than a 480, absolutely go for it. They are the same performance and the 970 won't kill your motherboard like the 480.

>guru3d.com/news-story/early-batches-of-radeon-rx-480-4gb-cards-actually-do-have-8gb-memory.html

To me the choice is obvious, between 3.5 gb and 8gb I would pick 8.

PCI-e spec allows cards to control where they draw their power from

Not OP, but be honest. How bad is the 3.5+0.5gb meme?

I'm rolling with a 380X right now on latest drivers and haven't had any problems

How loud does it get?

So far? Not too bad if you stay on 1080p. Some game settings are unplayable though, like GTA V completely maxed or mirror's edge catalyst running at hyper settings.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5ZCJah-FY

It's bound to get worse later on too. Literally no reason to get it over the 390, unless you reaaaaally want CUDA/physx

>once OCed a 970 is a much better card and performs on par with the $500 980 and 390x.
All you're getting is another 15% or so. Hardly "future proof" as the OP hoped. Nothing is remotely future proof in current VR setups, except perhaps an overclocked i7, and even that will need to be replaced in 4 - 6 years when 8 core / 16 thread is the standard.

Likely that you won't, but the silicon lottery applies to the 970 as well.

>could gain 30-40% performance
Only if you're really lucky. Don't pretend like this is common off a reference 970 or the stock factory OC. Anyway the power draw really ramps up even if you get 20%

Depends on memory management implementations in current and future engines.

massdrop.com/buy/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-armor-8g-oc
Should I do it? I live in Canada and this seems to be a good way to avoid the Canadian premium.

It's quiet as fuck actually, got XFX Black version

Bad. Games will now use near 8 gb on 1080p. Scorpio will cement this.

Only a fool would buy the shit 970 cuck card with no vram and no dx12 capabilities. Go on though cuck yourself

>future proof

3.5GB of VRam, thats not going to cut it for VR

>"Blower coolers, more commonly known as reference coolers."

Stop being retarded.

It's perfectly fine goy, games only use < 3 anyway. Buy a 970 now.

I thought the 480 was supposed to sell for $200, what happened?

Dafuq u talking about, amd drivers support is pretty ok, amd at least updates their older cards drivers more then nvidia, my hd 6870 even got the crimson drivers

>AMD housefire has been a meme longer than the original nvidia fermi housefire
Lets face it as soon as AMD took over ATI their infamous overheating issues due to shit stock cooling and chips that run way too hot and use waay to much power/volts is true

i have a 390x and even with 2 BIG case 12cm case fans and a custom cooler it struggles to keep at 60-70 degrees under heavy load and it isnt even summer here yet

i can tell come december im gonna have to RMA the card hopefully by then the 490x will be out.

The Fury X was a good idea executed poorly why the fuck would you put 4gb vram on a $800 card? At least the 980ti had 6gb and could actually use all of it

VR!?!?!? as if anyone is interested in that shit

200 USD for 4gb
240-250 USD for 8gb

potentially more for non reference designs from 3rd party manufacturers

Canadians pay more and Europeans pay more because of taxes

RX 480 a shit. A SHIT!

3dmark.com/3dm/12838370

My R9 290 easily beats it BTW.

>GTX1060, if pricing rumors are true, is going to be retardedly overpriced and not worth waiting for.
The GTX960 all over again!

My fucking sides

>how the 1060 performs since it will probably cost the same as a 970
Not even close senpai.

The 1060 is a much better buy, just look at this graph!

If the rx 480 wasn't such a fucking fire hazard I would actually consider recommending it, and considering you sound like you're on a budget I would go with the 970 if I were you.

What's Sup Forums's opinion about asus gtx 950

It's pretty good for HTPCs.

>I've heard that gtx 970 outright kills the AMD rx 480 in terms of performance too
I don't know where you heard this, but it's incorrect. The 480 edges out the 970, and will outperform it more and more a VRAM use increases in games.

That said, the 970 is still powerful, and if you can get it for a fair bit cheaper than the 480 then go for it.

They perform the same with DX11 but with new games using DX12 the 480 will have get an extra 10+FPS and I bought a 970 three months ago.

>Over 9000 performances

HOLY FUCK

BUY NVIDIA NOW GUYS AMD DED KEK XD