GTX 1060 vs RX 480 thread

So the GTX 1060 will feature half the Cuda cores of the 1080, a 192bit Bus, 3/6Gb framebuffer, and GDDR5. All this with a low 120W TDP. Rumored price is $250-270.

The RX 480 has about 55-60% of the 1080s performance in DX11 and closer to 70% in Async heavy games. 256bit Bus, 4/8Gb framebuffer, improved tesselation performance, and a TDP of 150W. Reference price is $200-230.

Assuming AMD undervolts the RX 480 and fixes the powerdraw issue, is it safe to assume that AMD may win with full marks here? What could Nvidia have up its sleeve for this matchup? The GTX 1060 would have to clock like a beast to compete from what we have gathered so far.

AIBs are still holding on thinking they can create a RX 480 that can reach 1600MHz on the core. If this is true, in what scenario would a GTX 1060 be superior?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uxnFv8cnjZA
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq47qmwcus8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Wasn't there a thread here on Sup Forums a while back where they put a custom cooler on their 480, overclocked and got enormous performance increases?

The RX480 also comes with the benefit of melting your motherboard for free.
If that isn't a bargain I don't know what is.

The GTX $1060 has an MSRP of "$250~" according to Nvidia, partner cards will likely end up slightly more expensive than the comparable 480 cards. It'll probably perform slightly better than the 480 as well.

Nvidia's 1060 will definitely be in a class of its own when it comes to perf/watt vs the RX 480, the 480 wasn't designed to be AMD's perf/watt king. It was only designed to be economical at its price point. AMD designed the Polaris 10 die to have the most performance with the fewest transistors, then clocked it as high as possible to squeeze out just enough performance to compete in the mid range segment. Because of that, being clocked higher than the sweet spot for the arch, energy efficiency was sacrificed. AMD also used stupid high clocked GDDR5 which pulls a crazy amount of power.
I have a feeling Nvidia will probably use GDDR5X chips which consume less power, and they have less of them over all. The 1060 die probably won't have the same margins as AMD's 480, but that isn't a problem for Nvidia with their healthy sales and market share in other segments.

>RX 480 launches a few months before zen
>AMD desperate for sales decides to make cheap gpu
>Implement plan with said gpu to kill mobos and force users to upgrade their base platform
>Poor fags decide to wait for zen to buy new mobo/ cpu
>AMD laughs all the way to bankruptcy

All of the non-reference RX480s will be at least $250, because no AIB is making a 4GB non-ref (AFAIK). It's going to be closer than we expect it to be.

This copypasta is not funny.

I miss the nvidia case guy.

Nvidia won't be including gddr5x on the 1060, it's not even on the 1070 while the 1080 has it. Maybe the 1170 will have it, and maybe the 1260, but not the 1060

Nvidia don't give a shit about AMD now.

nvidia 1000 series arquitecture is better than AMD 400, performance per watt, nvidia will win in the end once again in all price ranges.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here enjoying my Furmark performance....

In a few months, maybe longer, when the 1070 goes a little under msrp it'll make a lot of sense to just throw the extra $100 in and get it. I'm on an extreme budget and plan to just grab the first AIB 470. Baselessly predicting it to get to stock 480 levels for $180

> What could Nvidia have up its sleeve for this matchup?
The army of shills.

you mean the made-up chink benchmark?

>1260

HBM is literally a few months away. 1160 must have gddr5x

less compute power
less hardware in general
able to keep up with a superior product

maybe.. on gameworks infested games... cause on those that matters well the card will be behind and be more expensive

its so much better that they cant deliver on their promise once more
youtube.com/watch?v=uxnFv8cnjZA

No, some fag on Sup Forums made a thread, claiming to have watercooled the card and got some pretty damn impressive figures out of it.

The flaw here was the fact that he didn't want to take a picture because it was dark at the time, meaning likely fake.

I'm still hopeful for it to be true.

Honestly I don't know why AMD doesn't shill at this point. Can they not afford it? Nvidia does have an insane amount of shills on the internet, who knows how much it costs them? Maybe AMD can't keep up?

Anyway, the 1060 won't disrupt the 480 so it's not too important. It'l be an OK option that's at least somewhat overpriced for Nvidia loyalists. If the Rx 460 and Rx 470 are priced at the rumored $80 and $150 respectively, there's no way Nvidia can win the budget market. My guess is the only advantage the 1060 will have over the 480 is that the 1060 won't have a shitty reference cooler and power consumption bottleneck issues.

Nothing too surprising can happen until we see Vega.

he did
youtube.com/watch?v=Jq47qmwcus8

Question for you guys because I am torn. If I plan on buying a gpu and having it for at least 2 years and want to do 1440p gaming, would I be fairly safe with the 1070, or should I just go to the 1080?

I would say for 2 years you are safe with the 1070. Maybe you will have to not have everything at max but you will barely notice the difference.

With Nvidia, you buy a 4gb card but it only has 3.5gb usable.
With AMD, you buy a 4gb card, which turns out to have 8gb on the board, fully usable.

guess I'll be upgrading to the RX480, the AIB bersion with 8pin connector.

I'm waiting for low tdp vega cards with hbm. I hope to get a fury nano successor if there will be one. The rx series seem to be too weak and the 1000 series have shitty memory bandwidth, they wasted die space for compression and so on, that results in a higher price for the consumer. Too high perf per buck, maybe vega will do better.

>still no RX 470 in sight

It's not fair

Dam so the 1060 is already DOA? Nvidia isn't even trying anymore. 3GB vRAM and 192-bit bus?! LMFAO