Do you turn your computer off every night so it can rest?

computers have rights too

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_pdNRKPrFMg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I stick my dick in it before overclocking it for the night

sounds strange but yeah

I am real desu~ ;w;

>what's hibernation

I will be sleeping, might as well turn it off, saves some electricity u know.

No. I put it on a really abusive 12 hour stress test

>so it can rest
I'm not a gaymer manchild, shutting down PC is pointless

I do.
in fact I should do it right now, it's 2:24 AM here.

enjoy your parts shitting the bed earlier

No, i also let my car idle in the garage overnight

>I'm not a gaymer manchild
What does that have to do with anything?

that means his hardware is meant for 24/7 usage.

Like a server or..? For normal usage, a computer doesn't have to be on 24/7. Just when people are using it. Be it a gamer or an Excel maniac.

I doubt it matters for a lot of people here, they're not the ones paying the electricity bill.

I turn it off because I pay my own bills

Considering it takes like few seconds to turn back on, yes

Since I've downgraded to Win10, my PC reboot or rest by himself.

I do too, my PC is on 24/7, though I hardly turn on any lights or appliances besides it.

Are you affectionate with your PC? Computers have needs too.

Says the guy who clearly doesn't pay the electric bill

No, and my laptops uptime is 95 days. And I have sleep/hibernate disabled

sauce?

My PC/Keyboard/Mic all have bright blue LEDs that i have to shut off or I cant sleep at night, so yeah.

>turning your PC off
>when you could be mining ether

I thought you guys were better then this.

>I'm not a boyracer manchild, shutting down a cars engine is pointless

This is what you sound like

That's not really a fair comparison.

I put my waifu to sleep when I go to sleep.

sauce?

>25gb hiberfil

Lol this retard has an hdd as his boot drive.

I respect my machine spirit brothers with the respect they deserve.
Even changing parts or cleaning is a solemn process. They are my main companions in this world, so I give them all the dignity they deserve.
My machines have names, I refer to them as such and don't treat them as objects.

The average price people in the U.S. pay for electricity is about 12 cents per kilowatt-hour
A computer typically averages between 60W-160W at idle, so lets go on the high end and use 150W for our example.

Thats $0.43 per day, or $13.15 per months, to leave your computer on 24/7.

I pay my own bills too. Ive just decided that its worth the price to keep my computer on 24/7.

I wouldnt want it off at night, since I use it to watch YouTube or movies as I go to bed. I also often use IRC, which long delays between replies means I will stay logged on in rooms for days to be able to not miss anything. Some times at night or before I go to work I will start large downloads.

It is also questionable to claim your PC will last longer if you turn it off often. Lots of cool down and warm-up cycles can actually shorten components life.

Sure it is.

You turn your car on while using other troubleshooting it

Petroleum creates and uses energy that you pay for

Computer uses energy that you pay for

never wake up

>turning your computer off
Unless your electric bill is off the roof, then why would you even need to turn it off?

>Lots of cool down and warm-up cycles can actually shorten components life.
That happens anyway, with most cooling solutions.

Just in case you feel like offing yourself?

A computer is engineered to run constantly, it has functions that benefit from not being cutoff all the time, a car is a one-off machine. Plus a computer's energy consumption is far, far lower than a car's.

Heatup and cooldown cycles are common even when you're using your computer. If you're not a gamer and put lots of stress on your computer you wont have this but its already a thing with gamers so shutting down your computer and starting back up is no different than starting up and closing a system-heavy game.

Why would I turn it off? I put it in sleep mode like a sensible person. I don't kill myself every night and then resurrect myself in the morning so why would I do that to my computer?

But sleep is essentially temporary death. Let your computer live free and fly away like a Sega Saturn.

I work as a sys admin (Solaris and RHEL) and have not personally run Windows since about 2002 (though I do have a work issued windows laptop that's just a glorified mailbox).
Any issues with running Windows 10 24/7?
Building out a media center/steam box for my nephew and his family.

This is the first time I've seen any reference to Ethereum on Sup Forums.

I turn it off or let it go to sleep to not waste power. Not like it doesn't do anything useful when on anyway.

>Let your computer live free and fly away like a Sega Saturn.
I'm not sure what this analogy is supposed to mean.

I record art streams at night so all the rest it gets are restarts

>If you're not a gamer and put lots of stress on your computer you wont have this
Even then, you have this. Just open a browser, there you go. Or some heavy duty "industrial standard" software. CAD. Photomanipulation. Geospatial analysis. Whatever.

And there is a lot of smaller software that polls all the time.

Room temperature is about 70F / 21C
A CPU generally idles about 40C

So the difference is greater when you fully shutdown the computer

Doesn't matter. Shutdown happens only once, whereas idling happens every minute or so.

If the difference was more than 50C I'd be concerned, but 19C is negligible.

No, but I reboot.
if is to clean, yes.

Ssd boot times make this a non issue. I wake up, press the power button, stretch for 15 seconds, and boom.

At night, shut down, turn off monitor, walk away.

Why wouldnt i do this? Unless im downloading something massive overnight?

Yeah, it will eventually want to update and force restart itself.

My nigga

>idling happens every minute or so

wut

I think you have a virus bro

The Animatrix, segment "The Second Renaissance, Part I"

>No. I put it on a really abusive 12 hour stress test

kek

Well, yeah. Aside from update/patching reboots, I mean.
I guess I'm asking if windows still has really bad memory leaks anymore?

>what is suspend to RAM

>he's never seen computers running 24/7

is this neo Sup Forums?

No.

I do it because electricity is not free.

bro, you tryna fly away?

youtube.com/watch?v=_pdNRKPrFMg

Every little household item adds up friend
Having surge protectors on everything with the kill switch saves me $150 a month in electricity, have confirmed with seeing the bill much much cheaper and a kill a watt meter

No, you have that too.
Not full burst, of course, so that doesn't necessarily trigger the fans to change their rpm.

So mean.

Holy shit. If you're saving $150 a month, your bill must have been astronomical before. My bill is generally less than 30 freedom buxx. I live in Texas though, so power is cheap; my provider is sourced entirely from wind, and I'm paying 6.3 cents/kWh.

I live by Immanuel Kants morality rules as much as I can.
There are about 300 million computers in use in the US according to a short googling. Assuming half of those are servers that must be kept on. That still leaves us about 150 million PCs.
If keeping your computer on at night was a universal rule, that would mean 150000000*10$= 1,5 billion $ wasted on electricity just in the USA, monthly. Since there are more computers in the whole world, the enviromental impact is tremendous too.

I have a temperature monitor on my desktop; my temperature does not vary by more than 1 or 2 degrees when idling. My computer does not erratically change fan speed. I dont know what kind of ghetto setup youre running

Good man. No need to be wasteful just because you're (relatively) wealthy. Every penny, and more importantly every kilowatt-hour, is important.

>my temperature does not vary by more than 1 or 2 degrees when idling. My computer does not erratically change fan speed.
That's what I'm talking about, you won't notice, but it's enough to break the material over years.

Windows 8 yes. Windows 7 locked but no shut. Windows 10 had to put down.

Power-cycling your computer 300+ times a year is a bad idea.

I hibernate it

I have an ssd, so shutting down isn't a big deal but I do it because I am lazy fuck and I just like leaving everything open

do any of you happen to pay for elecricity

i unplug mine because i have a chinkshit PSU
dont want it to say, storm one night and have my PSU explode when the power surges

It's really not. What happens when you power cycle a PC exactly? The capacitors discharge, and everything cools down to ambient temp if it wasn't already running at ambient. Those caps are discharging during normal operation anyway. During startup, those same caps charge and a few dozen inductors energize. Otherwise, everything is transistor logic, which is much more susceptible to high temperatures than to temperature changes.

Are you a vegetarian?

I gave it a thought a while ago. I definitely would be if it wasnt so inconvinient.

Yes, idle temps for the GPU are in the 60's so I don't see a need to make even more heat.

>I definitely would be if it wasnt so inconvinient.

Well I am vegetarian, and I find it very inconvenient to poweroff my computer

My GTX960 idles at 26C

You don't need them.

Life is more fun when you're the one in control.

haha no. especially not me

kinda shocked that the majority lets their shit run 24/7.

the possibility of a PSU fire ALONE is reason enough for me to turn it off before I go to sleep or out of house.

the fuck is wrong with 30 seconds of booting? fucking lazy lard asses

That's 30 seconds of shitposting WASTED though.

Well its an r9 390 so I'm not surprised

and mini-itx so its choking

yes. a computer idling 24/7 costs about $10 a month in electricity. If youre like me, and you use your computer for say, 6+ hours a day, youre already spending money on that. So youre really only spending an extra $7 a month or so.

I consciously spend that extra $7 a month for the convenience of always having my computer on. considering I make $7 in about 20 minutes worth of work, I find this to be well worth it

It's not about how much money it's worth to you. It's about how wasteful it is. If everyone does that, we generate so much useless electric power.

Solar, wind, hydro, nuclear. Those are steps in the right direction, but the best short term solution to our energy problems is to quit wasting so much electricity. Turn your lights off, turn up the thermostat, and turn off your appliances when you're not using them. Is that so hard?

Not only does my desktop run 24/7, but so does my file server, and so does my laptop

If anything, I need to start powering off my stereo and monitors before I go to work. I am planning on using a separate power strip for my monitors and stereo, and putting it in a convenient location, so I have one button I can press to power off all those items I admittedly have no need to keep on.

I do turn my computer off at night, although more for security / paranoid reasons rather than component stress / electricity bills.

>tfw living in government dorms
>tfw I can leave my main rig on, my server, my pfsense box, a second server, and a nas on 24/7
>tfw I keep the a/c at 68 and have 2 small heaters for my feet since it gets so cold
>tfw I don't have to pay for electricity and I get to use as much as I want

Thinking of buying a third second hand server just for shits and giggles. These old innefficient xeons that suck power relentlessly that no one wants work perfect for me. It's so comfy.

I don't, but then my house generates it's own sustainable power.

Why be a plebeian?

I am not oblivious to this fact, I just find it highly inconvenient. I run all LED light bulbs in my apartment. They each consume only about 6W, compared to about 18W for a CCFL bulb. I have a 4 cylinder car, which I accelerate slowly and cruise at fuel efficient speeds.

But the BIOS in my computer takes way too long to load. I do not like waiting for the computer to startup. Maybe someday when I get a computer with a BIOS that takes a couple seconds to load, I will start powering it off.

There's literally zero (0) reason for me to keep the computer on at night and since I'm not a fat americuck like you guys I can actually go and turn off my power strip.

>not devoting your computers down time to help SETI find space aliens, or help find a cure for cancer

Its like you want humanity to suffer

But I do.

you mean we need a second wall?

>receiver & poweramp > pc, kWh
you forgot to mention to turn it off when you go to work OP.. you g-go to w-work r-r-right?

I bet you'll also find it inconvenient when our environment gets fucked up and we have to wear gas masks everywhere like the chinks do...

Underrated post.

>not just setting up a znc server for $5 a month