Small Questions Thread

/sqt/

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xPgj4C
pcpartpicker.com/list/G8FRGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/49T2RG
pcpartpicker.com/product/8q38TW/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xpsli
bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-1-channel-soundbar-with-wireless-subwoofer-black/8645012.p?id=1219697991194&skuId=8645012
pcpartpicker.com/list/DFT2RG
pcpartpicker.com/list/fnnbjc
m.gigabyte.us/WebPage/141/images/step7-1.jpg
vocaroo.com/i/s1R8LcdgQTao
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How good is the Intel GMA4500 MHD IGPU?

That's the GPU in my laptop. It works as about all you can really say about it.

Hey, this is my first build after doing tons of research and stuff.

My budget is $800, and I plan to upgrade it in the future.

pcpartpicker.com/list/xPgj4C

Any tips? What GPU should I put in?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Which laptop do you have? i assume a laptop with a G3 C2D.

Can you play 720p@60FPS videos on youtube and the like?

Are the voltage levels of an audio output on a typical computer on a line level?

Wrong motherboard for that CPU, get a Z170 or get a locked CPU, dont get a H110 for a unlocked CPU.

Get a WD Blue HDD or/and a 240GB 850 EVO.
Get a EVGA 650 GS or G2.
Cheaper case maybe?
A better HSF if you will overclock.

mid end motherboard or high end?

Got a new 4k monitor but I can't find a torrent client that supports it. All the buttons are tiny and overlap each other. What do you guys use?

Sup Forums I fucked up, I downloaded a 3D file converter (that looked legit, mind you) and got a chinese botnet antivirus. Now I am smart enough to delete anything and everything it got me (the fucker even replaced itself as the default antivirus). Now the only file that is left is kdhacker64.sys and this shit is resilient af.

First I have tried deleting it by windows, to no avail of course, then I have tried a force delete tool that deletes upon system restart, did not work. Then I used a tool that detects what blocks the file from deletion, it said nothing is preventing it and should I try to delete upon system restart, did not work. Also I have tried to delete it in admin CMD, access denied every time. Helm me g, It didn't do anything yet but I'm scared.

How much time do you have since this will take some time.

First do the basic scanning.

Adwcleaner>Malwarebytes>JRT

Once you are done with that report back.

Okay will do

use autoruns to see how its being loaded - likely as a driver. disable the autorun, restart, delete the file. if the dev is a crafty fucker, you might have to disable the autorun and immediately reset your pc so it doesn't have chance to reinstate itself. alternatively just boot into the recovery console.

Has anyone been to a coding bootcamp to get into coding?

Thinking about biting the bullet and going to The Iron Yard.

How about this?

pcpartpicker.com/list/G8FRGf

>mid end motherboard or high end?
it depends on the pricing

Autorun was the first thing I disabeled, thing is it's not even in the process, details or services.

On malwarebytes scan now.

>ASRock
That is beyond low end.

Get something like a GA-Z170XP-SLI if you want to save money and still get something good.
Get a EVGA 650W PSU.

First, you will overclock, second 550W may not be enough if you will upgrade later on.

if you definitely can't take ownership and delete the file then it's in use - confirm this with handle from sysinternals. depending on whether a single or multiple processes are using it (multiple would generally mean dll injection), you will then need to look harder for the autorun (trust me, it's there) or just force close the handle and delete the file.
as i said previously, booting into the recovery console is the easiest option if you're pleb.

I dont understand why I will overclock?
The mother board wasnt listed, so Ill look it up on ebay or newegg or some shit like that, otherwise I got something by Gigabyte.

Thanks for spending time to do this man

pcpartpicker.com/list/49T2RG

>Pls no bully

My gaming computer is shit. I need opinions on what to upgrade. Pls help.

I'm new to Linux and VMs/am fucking retarded and had a question about networking settings in Virtual Box.

I have Virtual Box installed and run two VMs in a Linux Host. The VMs are Windows 7 and Whonix if it matters.

Currently the network is set to the default NAT on both. If I have a VPN configured on the host OS how can I use that protection without configuring it in the guest machines? Does each VM "have it's own IP address have internet access" as per the wiki/sticky and do I need to change the networking settings or will I have to configure my VPN in the Guests?

I tried Virtual Box's website/guide but I'm still not sure

Recommendations help also :D

>I dont understand why I will overclock?
Because you got a Unlocked CPU?

You got a I5-6600k, which is unlocked and you are able to overclock it.
If you wont get a I5-6500 and a B150 motherboard.

Also the motherboard is listed in pcpartpicker:
pcpartpicker.com/product/8q38TW/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xpsli

How will I know when my computer's dying and what parts specifically?

I'm paranoid it'll fail to start one day (not that I ever turn it off) and I no idea how to troubleshoot to see what parts still work and what's dead.

Everything.
>AMD low end APU
>Low-Mid end videocard
>No SSD

You would need to rebuild everything to replace the motherboard.

Get a Skylake I5, a B150 or Z170 motherboard based on which CPU you got or your budget.
A decent or a cheap SSD.

Reuse the rest.

>MEMTEST
Test RAM
>HD tune pro/HD Sentinel Pro
Do a surface read test and see how fucked it is, also read SMART data

Those are the basic ones that are easy to check and go bad most often, everything else is kinda hard to check and they will work with no problem and are really rare to get fucked up.

I'm having some very annoying problems that just came out of nowhere two days ago.

1. My Windows 10 was no longer activated and every time I try to put in an activation code I get "Error installing product key" and the error code being 0xc0000022 when trying to activate it through the System settings in Control Panel. I can't even click anything once I go to the activation section in the Windows 10 settings area either, I get the error code 0xC004F012 followed by:
>Error description: The Software Licensing Service reported that the call has failed because the value for the input key was not found
Absolutely nothing on the internet has helped whatsoever. Not to mention I'm stuck with the activation watermark.

2. Chrome won't open unless I run it as an administrator, but then all my settings are lost. I've tried wiping all the Chrome files after uninstalling it and I tried different versions of Chrome to no avail.

I did install some new RAM two days ago, but does that have anything to do with this?

I kind of in the same boat user.
I think your processor is a bit underpowered for that GPU.

I have Intel i7-4690 with 16g DDR3 and nvidia gtx 745. I want a better card but it's a pre built and I'm not entirely sure what my motherboard can support.

Google your motherboard and see what processors/GPU it can take and go from there.

So only ram and hard drives typically go bad?

Get a motherboard that allows over-clocking or get a locked CPU and save. They 212 is a good budget cooler, but if you want to get into serious over-clocking look into some of Noctua's coolers. 212 should handle a basic over-clock fine though.

Everything else seems fine. For a GPU I'd say go RX 480. It's new but benchmarks are putting at or above the GTX 970 at a lower cost. Maybe wait for the 1060 and see how it does. The 480 looks like it will fit your budget perfectly though. Just don't get a reference version. After-market boards have better coolers and clock speeds because of it.

Basically get the build where you want it and then spend the rest getting the GPU with the best benchmarks you can find.

Also, lots opf people like a small SSD to boot their OS from and a HDD for storage. A 1 TB drive is plenty for most people and an SSD boot is fast and really nice, but going with a big HDD won't be a hindrance. Seagate is fine but Western Digital is considered better. Personally never has an issue with a Seagate but maybe see what you can do.

How good is the i7 6500u for everyday tasks ( notes, small projects, college type stuff) and for gaming?

Wel while I don't like Asrock they make decent motherboards these days, my favourite however is still Gigabyte.

Now you have to consider a few things,

Getting an unlocked CPU is worth it if you want to overclock, but if you wish to save some money buy a locked CPU, like an i5 6500 along with a cheaper cooler just for the silence, since you do not need the cooling power and a motherboard with a H110, H170 or B150 chipset.

Second, you only got one stick of RAM, while motherboards are in the vast majority dual-channel, which means you would be better off buying a dual stick ram combo.

Third, I would rather get a 240GB SSD than a 1TB HDD, but that's your choice.

Fourth, a quality 400W supply is enough to power all the parts and the graphics card (up to 150W that is). Go with a 500W PSU from a trusted manufactuer, such as Antec, EVGA, Seasonic, Superflower, be quiet!, etc...

I will do a build more suited for you and post it in a reply to you.

Usually.

Unless you are overclocking CPU and motherboard will last till you get bored of your computer.

>I7-4690
Dont you mean I5-4690?

Anyway if you replace your PSU you might be able to upgrade to whatever you want.
Or add a GTX 950 75w which can be powered from the motherboard and wont need a PCI power cable.

How can I fix my soundbar cutting out for a fraction of a second before playing sound? Really frustrating, when I start an episode of something on Netflix, or a Blu Ray, the intro won't play for that little bit of time for example.

I have this piece of shit
bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-1-channel-soundbar-with-wireless-subwoofer-black/8645012.p?id=1219697991194&skuId=8645012

GTX 745 ought to be just standard PCIE, no?

Any mainstream GPU ought to work. Just Google your motherboard model if you're worried.

Shouldn't be any problems with that CPU. I have seen some dual cores in laptops lately, although I don't see the point in a dual core i7.

>Gaming

What GPU are you using?

pcpartpicker.com/list/DFT2RG

What do you think about this?

and I would absolutely love if you did that, but only if you want to

The GPU is kinda entry level/mainstream, 8GB of RAM is fine for gaming. Your CPU looks like a bottleneck. Save and do a new build or upgrade your CPU to the best your socket can hold and rebuild even later. An FX 8350 would probably do much better if they're the same socket, just check your wattage and make sure your PSU can handle it.

This looks better but get a I5-6500 and save a bit more.
Add a 850 EVO if you can afford it.

Get a Sapphire RX 480 or wait for aftermarket GTX 1070.

The computers I'm looking at would have either a 940mx or a 950m, not really high end but hopefully enough to game at 1080p.

I will not look at the i5 u's because dual core, but I'm hoping the hyperthreading will help slightly with multitasking, at least on light loads

Sorry, i7-4790.

What do you guys do with your old GPUs? I got 2 770 and no need for them anymore.

Yea I believe it's a standard pcie.

Shittiest part of having a pre built is the limitations for upgrades. It was in my budget and it plays all the games I want it to, have only really struggled with far cry 4.

I don't have any, still running a gt 610

Sell them?

Or put it in another PC for a friend or something.

Here you go.

pcpartpicker.com/list/fnnbjc

The CPU is good enough for any game you throw at it, the cooler for it is nothing special but is very silent, the motherboard has everything you can possibly need, 8GB of DDR4 is enough for a few years to come and I have replaced the HDD with a 240GB SSD. Also I have swapped your case with a bit better one, the best case for new builders and looks very nice, the PSU is nothing special but will get the job done.

Now for the GPU I went with an RX 480, however I highly recommend waiting for aftermarket versions, or maybe waiting for the 1060 if it won't be a paper launch.

Better, PSU seems a little overkill but EVGA makes good ones. Not a bad build. New CPU fits the MoBo better since it's now locked.

Cases I honestly go cheap because all it needs to do is hold my motherboard, have a front panel with a power button and USB 3.0 and mic/headphone slots (duh, standard shit), have the internal and external drive bays I need, be able to manage cables (also basic/standard) and have spots for fans for airflow. It sits under my desk and doesn't have to be super cool looking. Minimalism with functionality is fine.

Your case seems good, but maybe you can save a little and put it elsewhere. Maybe look it over again once your hardware is decided.

And for a GPU I think something in the neighborhood of 200 would be good for you. Look into the RX 480

Get a better HSF, the 212 EVO was fine and works great.
PNY SSDs are shit, get an Sandisk SSD (Plus or Ultra), get a 850 EVO over anything and a SP550 if you are really short on cash but want a decent SSD.

Sell them, scrape together a Home Theater PC if it suits you? Give it to a friend looking to do a build maybe?

Well does your PSU have a cable for extra power to a GPU or does it get all its power from the motherboard?

So today my desktop wouldn't turn on. Like, I'd hit the power button multiple times, but nothing happened.

I unplugged it from the wall and plugged it back in and now it works again.

I'm worried, is this a signal of something dying?

My PSU is pretty new (10 months old), but my mobo and CPU are "already" from 2011.

Your build is near perfect for me, but my problem is that it (albiet according to pcpartpicker) it cant hold an optical drive.

I also rather an HDD over an SDD because ill need the space for cheap.

What sounds should a normal HDD be making? I've lived with flash storage for 4 years so I forgot. From my WD Blue drive, I hear barely audible clicks when its idle.

Does it atleast POST?
Does the PSU fan turn on.
Got a PSU starter?

No sound at all.

A worn one would make grinding noises but nothing to be worried about.
Clicking is a bad noise, post SMART data.(Speccy>Storage>SMART for a quick way to read it).

Can someone here please tell me how to connect my led cable (bottom book) to my mobo (top book)?

>Does it atleast POST?
>Does the PSU fan turn on.
Literally nothing happened, no fan, nothing on the screen, not even the little LED around the case.

>Got a PSU starter?
Idk what that is so probably not.

So, I have physical access to this computer and boot linux from a USB and steal the cookies but I'm trying to get someone's social media passwords.
I have keyloggers and such but I'm pretty sure they will be detected by the AV, so, I was wondering if I could do something with firefox that automatically saves the passwords?
You can disable saving passwords, why not automatically save passwords? :c
What would be the best way to do this?

that's a shame because they'll have minimal resale value. you could use one of them to build a ridiculously overpowered emby server or htpc and keep the second as a spare.
it definitely doesn't connect to a usb header. you need the front panel header layout, but it's probably printed on the board.

A black block that usually comes with PSUs to turn them on.

Is this for the front panel of the case? Usually your motherboard has a little array of pins and next to them they've got what each set does.

Like so: m.gigabyte.us/WebPage/141/images/step7-1.jpg

Iin your case your power button needs to be on the side with 2 pins. Does the power button work? Then I'd assume it's either the ones next to the power button or the next over? It's just an LED. test it and see if it turns on when it should. Technically you don't even need it I don't think. One is your power button which you need. One set lights up the power button, the other lights up an LED for when the HDD is going, and then there's a reset button (or you just use the OS option or hit the power button twice.)

Aside from power and reset the others are just little LED indicators.

I need to get a VDSL modem.

I currently have a Billion Bipac 7800VDPX which has been working fine but I am moving from ADSL2+ to VDSL so am going to need to buy a new modem anyway.

Are there any quality VDSL modems that can act as a NAS and/or VPN? Those are pretty much the only thing I miss from my current router.

It passed the short test when I ran smartctl on Debian. I guess I would describe the sound more like a tick, one you would have to get right up to hear.

I willfully installed Windows Live for Games without knowing what it does. Did I screw myself over?

A modem isn't a router. Buy a dedicated modem and a router that supports what you want then just connect them instead of buying some integrated ISP-tier pos

Just picked up an msi z87 gd65 and 760 combo pack for $150 from a friend. I currently have an i5-4670k hanging around the house I can drop in it.
I have a modest budget to work with on building out the rest of this, is it worth it to build this into an upgrade able machine or is it already obsolete garbage?

HDD activity light also blinks in tune with the noise.

What's the best language to learn for freelance work?

It depends really on the CPU. I have a 1-Core Celeron (1.3GHz), supposedly its certified for BluRay 1080p decoding. However it struggles at 1080p, plays fine but everything else slows down trying to get the video to play. So if a Celeron a can barely handle it, surely much higher end C2D should do fine

English. Even third world cucks learn English in school, so if you are traveling you are fine. Be glad you were born white and free, get a tattoo of a bald eagle and fuck Rajesh's girlfriend nightly. 'Merica!

I'm assuming if I use Chrome browser while logged in to a Google account on Android, Google is saving all my history in some way regardless of my settings. But if I use another browser, like Lightning, Naked, Firefox, etc, would I be somewhat safe from the botnet?

There is no safety from the botnet desu senpai. They've already installed it in your microwave dinners and shower head.

More safe, yes.

Check the sticky at the top of the board and go to the recommended software for your OS.

Also check out PRISM Break and privacytools.io

English is the new Latin.

I meant programming languages.

As in the root language for all current culturally advanced and domesticated societies? Agreed senpai.

vocaroo.com/i/s1R8LcdgQTao
Here's an example. Gotta turn it up to hear it clearly.

From what i can hear sounds like normal grinding.
Also clean your HSF/case fans.

If it had something you would notice it in the SMART data.

Alright, cheers boss.

I opened up the case and put the mic right up to the hard drive. If that sounds normal then I guess I'm fine.

Ticks would be noticeable right away and would be really often.
I think i have a damaged HDD around to show you.

How do I ask about the deep web without you guys getting triggered? I just want to watch real rape/blackmail videos man

What are the best flashlight for edc?
>Strobe
>Red color led
>2m waterproof
So far, I've found nitecore str5, but anyone have other suggestions?

Your phone.

I want to be leet and carry a flashlight. I bought a $5 one and it starts to fall apart

Sorry got nothing to record it but, if you can hear the clicking from a distace while idle, those are are bad news.

If they dont are too often and not loud, its maybe just the head but its not damaged.

Looks like I had my torrents up when I asked. Not to mention it's dead silent in here.

Is there any way to make digital tuner boxes not suck without paying the cable tv jew more shekels?

I already stream or torrent most of my shows. It's mainly for my parents.

My EDC flashlight is a Nitecore, so that should fine.

I'm really thinking of getting it, but thought maybe there are better ones out there? Or something that will cost less

Generation/automation of code, it's a topic that has taken my interrest.

Has any of you any experience in the field? First thing I want to try is generate java code that reads a XML document and save said data in a SQLDB.

I can't figure out how to activate windows 8.1, too lazy to install win7.
I used "Microsoft Toolkit 2.6 BETA 5 Official" and it worked for a long time but I think an update killed it somehow.
What do?
All I actually care about is that shitty 'activate windows' thing.

How do I make sure something like entering a CC to buy something on Amazon is safe?

I let my mother use my laptop a good while ago to make a payment and she got some weird out of the country 300 dollar charge flagged maybe 4 days after.

I haven't had a virus or any kind of infection in years. I stopped using sketchy torrented software a long time ago and I don't browse stupid websites.

Avira is clean, Mbam is clean, JRT is clean, Kapersky TDSS is clean. Only time I ever got anything reported was a year ago for some extension data that was fine. I literally only use this laptop for work.

Maybe just do it on my phone? I'm just a little paranoid even if it was bad luck elsewhere on my mom's end.

Probably got compromised some other place.

>ADSL 30/15 connection with router
>Everything works fine
>Switch to 100/100 fiber
>Don't use router
>Everything works fine
>Hook up router
>Yellow triangle on utorrent
>throttled to 20kb/s, only for a few seconds once in a while does it jump to mb/s

I know you're not tech support, but any suggestions? It keeps jumping between green check mark and yellow triangle, but I can't seed. My ports are already opened, it's obviously not that. Router worked fine on 30/15 and it's supposed to support 1000/1000 Mbit/s. I've lowered my "number of connections" in utorrent a bunch, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried several hours to fix it myself, but nothing seems to help. I'm slowly losing my mind here. Router model:
Technicolor TG799vn v2.

If I write some kind of program to download social network media, will I be jailed?

What does this image means?

It's a really hard part where you have to catch a stupid fucking pokemon.

I'm on UK Three network which allows me free roaming in certain countries.

Only thing is they heavily restrict speeds for almost everything except Facebook and most websites. Trying to access my plex server drops the speeds to 11kb/s, the same as some other streaming sites.

What do?

go on canyouseeme.org and check the port you're using. I know you said you opened your ports but try it anyways.

Also just throwing it out there but I've had problems before where my ISP modem doesn't work with certain routers, period, and its parroted both by the ISP and the local Bestbuy.

gtx960, gtx950 or gtx750ti for an eGPU setup?

I just get connection timed out. I'm not using a modem, cable goes directly into the ethernet socket on the wall.