ANY linux distro will never be able to play a wide range of PC video games affordably without shelling out extra cash...

ANY linux distro will never be able to play a wide range of PC video games affordably without shelling out extra cash to make Wine run good.

Prove me wrong, Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

videogamerplus.com/2014/09/60-fps-native-1080p-ps4-games-list.html
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3383
openmw.org/es/
youtube.com/watch?v=6SIz0LYWJzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IthswdFkyss
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>inb4

>Thinking video games is an important factor of an operating system
This is an 18+ site, OP.

epik meme

>not just dualbooting windows for games and linux for productivity

It's like you don't even know how to computer man

define “wide range”

25% of games run on linux natively

Most of Sup Forums doesn't care if you play vidya, it's Sup Forums and manchildren who make it their top priority are the ones who get Sup Forumss scorn. Like these two faggots.

user..

>anime trash calling other people faggots

kys

If xbox didn't become a popular gaming platform, DirectX and PC gaming would have been long gone, and OpenGL would have been what everyone made their games in.

Prove me wrong, OP.

Sick edit bro

This is an anime website.

you're an anime website

>edit
Keep thinking that lol

You honestly thought that was witty, didn't you?

>using Linux for gaming

Jesus Christ. I guess if you're gonna let AMD and NVIDIA spit roast you, you might as well let Microsoft have a turn.

Yes.

1/3 steam titles supported on linux

Yeah but most of them are shit tho

>you

Reminder that there are more games ON STEAM that RUN NATIVELY on GNU/Linux than the total number of games available on Xbox1 and PS4 COMBINED.

I am (You) and (You) are me :^)

Naw there are tons of good ones.

Quality over quantity my friend :^)

Reminder that running Windows in qemu and PCIe pass-through gives you the gaming experience of Windows combined with the security full VM encapsulation offers.

You can emulate retro games up to PS1 and Dreamcast.

Tell me what """quality""" games you are playing then, user.

What are you trying to imply? What else am I supposed to use for gaming? BSD? Plan9?

Muh AutoCAD isn't available on Linux.

Runs just fine with Wine

How come every Windows user on Sup Forums claims to be some sort of automation engineer (AutoCAD) or graphic designer (Adobe CS) or professional movie editor?

Windows? You're not obligated to just use one operating system and one operating system only you fucking sperg.

>using the default Yotsuba Blue theme
It's like you don't want to feel like an edgelord

Why would anyone willingly use Windows unless they were forced to? It's not like you're obligated to just use Windows and Windows only, you fucking sperg.

Get a video game system, you child.

I like yotsuba blue theme and never really feel like changing it.

>You need to buy hardware to make demanding software work
>Prove me wrong
>Oh and let's blame this fact on fucking Linux

>this is how the mind of an actual autistic person works

Why your parents never took you to the vet so you could be euthanized I will never know. At this point it's just plain animal cruelty.

If you guys are so into gaming and it's so important to you, why don't just buy a dedicated console like PS4 or the latest Xbox or something?

I don't get it, how can anyone claim to be this into gaming and then use a general purpose computer with a gazillion background services that interfere with reaction time?

Like what? An overpriced plastic box that's designed to fail early and can only play DRM-ridden vendor-locked titles at silky silky smooth 720p30?

>Windows is the only operating system
How much are Microsoft paying you to astroturf, Pajeet?

>Windows?
Well, I don't like Windows. I don't like Microsoft's business practices, I don't like the design, I don't like the aesthetics. I feel uncomfortable using it - everything feels strange and alien to me. I can't solve any problems that occur (and they occur way too often for my liking). In general, Windows makes me feel pretty powerless, locked-in and controlled. I also don't like the feeling of being watched constantly.

So that pretty much rules Windows out.

>You're not obligated to just use one operating system and one operating system only you fucking sperg.
But I *do* use different operating systems. I use Gentoo as my daily driver, and Ubuntu for gaming.

>900p and 30 FPS
kys

>designed to fail early
I got my PS3 in 2007 and I bought my last game for it last year.

On the flip side, I've changed my desktop computer three times in that same period, including getting a new graphics card four times in the same period.

>still playing quake 3 on 45 Hz crts
>"hardcore gamer"
kys

>why don't just buy a dedicated console like PS4 or the latest Xbox or something?
1. I prefer the keyboard and mouse to controllers
2. I like to run my games at 4K
3. I like to run my games at 60 Hz
4. I have a powerful PC one way or the other (for graphics development), might as well use it in my spare time to relax. (So I'm not comparing the price of a gaming console vs the price of a gaming PC, I'm comparing the price of a gaming console vs $0)
5. Most of the games I care about aren't compatible with the PS4 or X1
6. I like to be able to tab out of a game and into a chat client or web browser
7. I don't agree with Sony's and Microsoft's anti-competitive business practices for moral reasons.

Please continue elaborate to me as to how much a gaming console would “improve” my life.

Or you could drop the video game habit, since you seem turned off by it anyway.

An overpriced fuckup of a gpu is no better.

>I've changed my desktop computer three times in that same period, including getting a new graphics card four times in the same period.
Was this because they failed or because you wanted a performance upgrade? If the former, you are doing something wrong with your components. If the latter, it's an invalid comparison since the PS3 has received no performance upgrades in the meantime and still runs like shit as a result.

Also, I'm sure your anecdote counteracts the thousands of examples of early red rings of death on the internet.

>Or you could drop the video game habit, since you seem turned off by it anyway.
That's the same sort of logic that suggests I should stop listening to music because I don't like dubstep. Fantastic 10/10 quality inference, there.

>2. I like to run my games at 4K
>3. I like to run my games at 60 Hz
You know that modern TVs support this, right?

>5. Most of the games I care about aren't compatible with the PS4 or X1
Most games come out on PS4 and X1 up to a fucking year(!!!) before they come out on PC

>7. I don't agree with Sony's and Microsoft's anti-competitive business practices for moral reasons.
But you somehow agree with Microsoft's anti-competitive business practices on PCs?

>Was this because they failed or because you wanted a performance upgrade
Because of performance requirements of computer games coming out those years.

Also
>red ring of death
iirc Microsoft replaced or refunded those.

is this b8
there are no games running at 1080p, let alone 4K on consoles

That's not even close to a similar scenario.

Either use Windows for your adolescent tasks, or drop the habit and learn what Linux was developed for.

videogamerplus.com/2014/09/60-fps-native-1080p-ps4-games-list.html

>cash to make wine run good
are you retarded?

More like
>"60 FPS" with details on low/medium and slowdowns everywhere

>PS4

Let me reiterate myself: there are no GOOD games running at 1080p, let alone 4K on consoles

Once upon a time, gamers turned DOWN their graphic settings to bare minimal in order to have lowest possible latency and fastest reaction times.

Millennials will never know this feel.

because they have it installed but don't realize they just open it once each 12 moons

Jesus H Christ, are you faggots seriously backpedalling this obviously?

>You know that modern TVs support this, right?
Which of these game system can run, say, Tomb Raider 2013 at 4K resolution with 60 fps?

Your choices:
- a PC running Microsoft Windows or Linux
- a PlayStation 3
- a PlayStation 4
- an Xbox 360
- an Xbox One

Pick carefully, you only get one try.

>Most games come out on PS4 and X1 up to a fucking year(!!!) before they come out on PC
Well, let's go through some of my recently played games and see which one run on PS4 and X1:

>Stellaris
Nope.
>Hexcells Infinite
Nope.
>Audiosurf
Nope.
>Kerbal Space Program
Nope.
>Antichamber
Nope.
>Besiege
Nope.
>Firewatch
Came out on PS4 and PC at the same time
>SOMA
Came out on PS4 and PC at the same time
>The Beginner's Guide
Nope.
>The Talos Principle
Came out on PC almost a *year* before the PS4
>World of Warcraft
Nope.
>Ori and the Blind Forest
Came out on PC and X1 at the same time
>Bioshock Infinite
Came out on PC, X360 and PS3 at the same time
>Tomb Raider
Came out on PC, X360 and PS3 at the same time

I'm not seeing this “up to a year before the PC” meme you speak of.

>But you somehow agree with Microsoft's anti-competitive business practices on PCs?
I don't use Windows. I game on Ubuntu.

you mean competitive pr0 retards

nice damage control

There were no such thing as "competitive gaming" back when I started playing computer games, kid. We turned down the settings because the computer would get bogged down and run slowly because back then graphic drivers ran in userspace.

>That's not even close to a similar scenario.
It's exactly the same.

>A: I like to listen to classical music. I hate dubstep.
>B: WAAAAAAAH, you should stop listening to music because you clearly seem to be turned off by it anyway
>A: What? But I like listening to music, I just dislike dubstep
>B: Then you should learn to like house techno or just drop the habit you autistic manchild

You are here telling me what I am supposed to like and not like, and what I am supposed to use and not use. How about you just fuck off and let me use the OS I want (Linux) to do what I want (develop free software, watch shit and play games).

How is *that* damage control? Their post were literally "oh yeah, b-b-b-but those games suck!!! we obviously didn't mean those"

>Prove my prediction about the future is wrong.

Then i predict that in the future linux will be the main focus of the video games industry.

prove me wrong with your crystal ball op.

>playing a bunch of old games
>"hurr durr my opinions are relevant why can't this game from 2004 run with 4k 120 FPS????"

Why are you quoting me? I was born in 1993 and grew up playing first person shooters competitively for fun (mainly q3a and ut2k3/4)

I know what it feels like to tune your settings (and everything else) for a competitive advantage, but it's not something I enjoy doing any more. These days, I just play single player games to relax and have a good time.

The reason most games are on Windows is because everyone uses it
The reason everyone uses Windows is because Microsoft has a borderline monopoly on the home computing industry
Once Microsoft goes down (which it inevitably will, probably not our near future though), there will be more openness

>1993
That's exactly why I'm quoting you. I was born in 1982. The first first person shooter I played was the same year you were born!!

Only game on that list older than 1-2 years is Audiosurf, and I play it mainly because it's still pretty relaxing even in 2016. (And I don't like Audiosurf 2)

But you said millenials would never know this feel. And I pointed out that I did grow up knowing this feel. Either I'm not a millenial or your post is a direct contradiction.

Which one is it?

>We turned down the settings because we were too poor to afford better specs
ftfy :^)

>Only game on that list older than 1-2 years
Tom Raider 2013 is 1-2 years old?

World of Warcraft (2004) is 1-2 years old?

Bioshock Infinite (March 2013) is 1-2 years old?

Probably not, but I couldn't care less.

Yes, I couldn't afford buying a new computer at fucking 10 years old.

You mentioned Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament 2004 as your examples of games you turned down settings on... These are games that came out long after OpenGL came into existence.

>tfw I played games before some people in this thread were even born

>Tom Raider 2013 is 1-2 years old?
It was ported to Linux this year

>World of Warcraft (2004) is 1-2 years old?
The current World of Warcraft expansion (Warlords of Draenor) was released in November 2014.

>Bioshock Infinite (March 2013) is 1-2 years old?
It was ported to Linux this year

Wait, when did OpenGL have anything to do with it? This was about reducing graphical settings to gain a competitive advantage, right?

e.g. like turning the texture detail down to the point where everything is almost flat and the player models stand out against the background much more

I don't see how that's related to your graphics API at all. Maybe I just misunderstood you

>b-b-b-but they're new on Linux!!!!!!
You are playing OLD games, some were even released BEFORE PS4 even came out. Most people would consider them so old that they're not even worth playing anymore.

Your opinions are irrelevant.

I mean, Blizzard had to make a fucking million dollar movie in order to get people playing their game again.

>Old games are irrelevant
I bet you also think classical music is bad if it wasn't produced in this century.

>Your opinions are irrelevant.
Funny, I don't remember trying to claim they were - you are the one who is trying to tell me what to do with my life and I'm trying to point out to you that your world view doesn't transfer to me.

>I mean, Blizzard had to make a fucking million dollar movie in order to get people playing their game again.
How is that relevant to this thread? I didn't watch the Warcrat movie and I don't plan on it, either. Just like many popular games, I don't think I would enjoy it.

See this is how I know you are new to gaming. Turning down settings stopped being a way to increase competitive advantage when graphic drivers were put into kernelspace in order to get the lowest possible latency.

When video games used software rendering, it was a real difference (as in extremely noticeable) in performance. Gamers these days think that they get additional overhead from using a bluetooth mouse instead of a USB mouse, but they fail to account that the bitrate is a lot higher than they are actually able to react and move.

>I bet you also think classical music is bad if it wasn't produced in this century.
We are talking about state of the art gaming here, and my point was that if you're this interested in gaming, why not just get a console.

You, on the other hand. are talking about how you are able to run old and obsolete games on Linux and, in addition, how you on a computer can max out frame rate and resolution -- which makes no fucking sense considering the games you listed.

You're not a gaming enthusiasts, you are someone who enjoys playing old titles and don't really see the fun in new games.

>Just like many popular games, I don't think I would enjoy it.
But one of your main points was that games were released for PC before PS4 for fuck's sake.

MFW I still can't play Morrowind in Linux.

>Turning down settings stopped being a way to increase competitive advantage when graphic drivers were put into kernelspace in order to get the lowest possible latency.
But that *still* is a thing. For example, in 2016, I still see people reducing their xonotic settings to the minimum for competitive advantage even though their PC would be perfectly capable of running it on ultra.

>When video games used software rendering
But video games still use software rendering, they just offload rasterization and shaders to dedicated coprocessors.

>When video games used software rendering, it was a real difference (as in extremely noticeable) in performance.
It still does? Ultra vs Minimum settings can be the difference between 10fps and 200fps.

>Gamers these days think that they get additional overhead from using a bluetooth mouse instead of a USB mouse, but they fail to account that the bitrate is a lot higher than they are actually able to react and move.
Gamers these days are retarded, though.

>We are talking about state of the art gaming here
No, YOU are. I'm just talking about what I do, for fun, to calm down after a day of work. If that isn't “gaming” then I don't know what it is.

I don't care about your “state of the art” e-penis competition - I just play what I find fun on the OS I find the most comfortable, for my personal benefit. Don't you get this? Are you so off the end of the spectrum that you think “gaming” as a concept has a meta-leaderboard, or something?

>You, on the other hand. are talking about how you are able to run old and obsolete games on Linux
Do you understand the definition of “old” and “obsolete”? 1-2 years is not old, and “obsolete” is something that has a newer replacement which is better in most, if not every, way.

>You're not a gaming enthusiasts
I don't see myself claiming to me. I'm just some guy who plays games for fun in my own spare time on Linux because I enjoy them, and is now having to describe this seemingly irrational concept to somebody who seems absolutely baffled that somebody would play games for fun and not points.

It's like I'm responding to a child.

>But one of your main points was that games were released for PC before PS4 for fuck's sake.
[citation needed]

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3383

Seems to run fine?

Daily reminder that people born in 1998 are now 18 years old.

OpenGL and Vulkan.

Interestingly you choose one of the few bethesda game you can play on linux without using wine:
openmw.org/es/
youtube.com/watch?v=6SIz0LYWJzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IthswdFkyss

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

You arent wrong. Then again we're not all 14

>shelling out extra cash to make wine run good
If you can read a manual, wine works fine, if not, playonlinux is a good front-end

It's literally one of the major uses for enthusiasts.

>Linux
>productivity
AHAHAHAH. BAHAHAHA. Is restarting your shitty software after it crashes every 15 minutes "productivity". After Skype and kdenlive (or whatever the video editing software is) crashed every 5 minutes I was done with Linux.

There are plenty of OpenGL games that don't get released for Linux or have terrible performance.