/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/questions/62303/how-can-i-tunnel-all-of-my-network-traffic-through-ssh
specifications.freedesktop.org/trash-spec/trashspec-1.0.html
vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_current_line
youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
youtube.com/watch?v=DRV3vUByeKk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have a ubuntu box running an SSH server and wondering how I should into SSH tunnelling?

I managed to get one thing working on my phone using SSH tunnel so I can watch my plex library without my ISP fucking me in the ass.

Is there a way to route all traffic through SSH instead of just one port?

superuser.com/questions/62303/how-can-i-tunnel-all-of-my-network-traffic-through-ssh

What's the best to secure my linux distro and securing it's ssh? Currently running debian

awww doesn't babby know how to read?

Boot into windows
then boot into mint again

What do you guys use for network monitoring?

if your linux is so good then why there less than 1% of steam users that are actually using it ?
if your linux is so good then why there less than 1% of wikipedia visitors that are actually using it ?

At least you got some variation.

Because normal fags want AAA games and we dont have many of those because game devs are shit

Also this

As long as people use bad operating systems, game developers will develop games for bad operating systems.

Sshuttle

>implying this faggot cares
>implying this faggot doesn't just jerk off on the reply count

if your silly threads didn't have stallman's fat ugly mug plastered all over them,
i'd be far less inclined to immediately hide them.

What is the best directory based encryption tool for linux?

>tfw going balls deep and replacing Windows
It was a bad idea and it could have gone both ways, but I loved it in the end.

>directory based encryption
Elaborate. Do you need actual encryption or just want to password protect a folder?

Welcome $HOME.

I need an actual encrypted directory

I know I can use luks and loopback but I don't want any new partitions and abhor lvm

Since he posted anime, it's ~/.local/share/Trash

It still it $HOME

trash() {
str="INTO THE TRASH IT GOES … "

for i in $(seq 0 ${#str}); do
printf '\033[48;5;202m%s\033[m' "${str:$i:1}"
sleep .02
done
printf '\n'

mv -vt "$HOME/.local/share/Trash/files/" "$@"
}

r8 my trash().

Nice joke faggot. Splerging out because of an image sure combats any concern had because of it. If said poster was going off topic, then it would definitely be a problem.

2/10
not freedesktop.trash compliant

How could I improve it?

If you're really serious about it, I think you need to implement the $trash/info stuff too.

specifications.freedesktop.org/trash-spec/trashspec-1.0.html

Thanks. Would be cool to have trash -r for restoring. I'll read into it.

Best distribution for older, not tech-savvy people?

Ubuntu + Cinnamon

People seem to hate Freedesktop stuff, but with those little things they're greatly improving the Linux desktop and bringing the "Year of the desktop Linux" closer.

Just picture how it was when KDE, GNOME and everyone else had their own trash specification or method to deal with it.

Pls help, Sup Forums.
I installed Linux and it doesn't recognize my NTFS HDD wich I used with Windows before. I want to use it with Windows further.
I don't understand all this words and explanations on the internet. What exactly do I have to do? (Wich will not harm my data or an access to the HDD from Windows wich is on another SSD.)

(Booting to Windows and back again to Linux didn't help)

>run Battle net client with wine
>can't connect properly but still lets me download WoW
>spend like 2 hours downloading it
>it finally finishes
>try to log in
>game freezes up and can't get past logging in
>try messing with some settings in the game
>all of these messages telling me "YOU CAN'T USE THIS GRAPHICS SETTINGS ON YOUR SYSTEM YOUR GRAPHICS CARD IS FUCKED OR SOMETHING DUDE"

wew, nice superior operating systems fags

If you use Windows 8 or higher disable fast boot. It locks the Windows partition.

Have a (You).

>Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting)

Wow, that helped. Pretty easy. Thank you very much.

I never understood this "Year of the Linux Desktop" meme, what's the point of "market share" for non-profit projects?

the year of the linux desktop meme was coined to boost the open source meme

You needed someone to type it out for you again instead of reading it in the error message? What kind of idiot are you?

>Users of all levels are welcome

Don't listen to flamers

Tried installing debian for the fourth time today, same fucking thing keeps happening. It boots to grub and then it goes to a blinking cursor. I'm installing on mac hardware, don't know if that has to do with it.

When I changed quiet splash to text in the grub its stalls after saying CPU #1 and does nothing.

Apple hardware is notorious for not playing nice with anything that is not Apple (surprise, surprise)

I have no experience with working with Mac hardware so I'm just going to have to redirect you to googling for "Debian on Mac" or something like that (and wait for more replies)

I did what there's written and it didn't help. If you have read the posts you have seen that I had to disable Fast Boot.

Is there something fucked with the way I'm mounting storage in my fstab?

I want it to auto mount so the things I store on it will be able to read and write to it on startup witout me needing to open it, but I can't get it to automount. Don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

Then if I try to access it after having this fstab, it's not in /media and it throws me an error if I just directly try to do it.

Is it a location thing?

fuck forgot image

>wine website advertises that it works flawlessly
>doesn't work at all

what's the point in using linux again?

Losing your addiction to a shitty MMO maybe.

Hello Sup Forums
Have been using vim lately
but I have a question
How to do pic related

Showing you your incompetence at following simple written instructions or doing any research, and giving you an excuse to shitpost when you fail to have any real interest in using it

vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_current_line

just set up my xubuntu in a proper state
what do

Is it a bad idea to install Arch as your first linux distro? Note: I care more about learning than having a usable PC.

Anything you want?

It always puzzles me when people ask this question. Like, just use your computer like you normally would, familia.

Followed the instructions perfectly. Tried using PlayOnLinux and that can't even download the battle net client, it simply crashes and breaks no matter what.

Installing the Battle net client from their website works, but it doesn't let you log in. Then the games themselves don't actually work.

All I've found online are people saying it works fine doing it the way I've done it.

I have a problem with VLC. The mouse wheel is controlling position but I want VOLUME control. The settings are right set. I tried to reinstall, didn't help. What now? I need this feature and I can't find a solution.
I've never had this problem on Windows, Linux is fucking frustrating.
System is Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Yes but whatever do what you want

>I've never had this problem on Windows
Why do people keep posting this?

>no hibernation or fast restarting
>fast restarting

Thanks for confirming my point that you didn't read it.

They ask because they don't need that operating system and only installed it to show off on the internet. For them it's some kind of achievement and they "subtly" brag about it.

Yeah, it's bad. If you want to learn but don't want to get frustrated, then pick up Debian.

im just kidding, thanks though.
i'll try redshift and mpv now.

Don't fall for the "hurr you learn more with Arch :^)" meme. You can learn on any of them. If you want to get your hands dirty a bit more, maybe don't go for Ubuntu (since it automates a bunch of things for you).

Maybe try Debian and upgrade it to Testing once you have it installed

I don't use VLC so I can't help you.
Have you googled for how to change keybinds in VLC? If it's not working in a GUI, maybe try editing them in the config file. Or use another video player like mpv

Thanks a ton

Protip: if you want people to help you, don't sound like a very angry person. It'll make people steer clear from your question or worse, poke fun at you and make you rage

>All I've found online are people saying it works fine doing it the way I've done it.
Then clearly they're doing it right and you're not doing it right somewhere.

Are they also using PlayOnLinux or are they using just Wine? (If you didn't know, PoL is a wrapper for Wine meant to make it more user friendly)

If they're using just Wine, then maybe try uninstalling PoL and learn how to configure Wine itself properly. Because I can tell you I've gotten a bunch of things working on Wine, ranging from Platinum rating to Silver rating games.

I'd suggest you to execute a GPU passthrough to just give you more flexibility than using Wine, but it might be a very daunting task which you might not even really need

youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4

And no, you don't need Arch for this. They just happened to use Arch in the example.

I tried to change the hotkeys but mouse wheel was already set to volume control. Now I installed another video player and it's the same.
I am angry because I try to fix this for an hour instead of watching star trek. Such things just have to work.

do you know any flowchart generator program for debian? I'm looking for something similar to this.

labyrinth

How does this make you feel?

pretty good mango mang
youtube.com/watch?v=DRV3vUByeKk

Do I need two GPUs for a KVM passthrough? And how would I set it up on Ubuntu 16.04?

looks nice, 10x I'll try it.

It has enough.

*ahem*

>Insurgency
>simulation

shu-shut the fuck up

>Kerbal Space Program
>Simulation

I want to make a special Debian install USB.

The goal is to use it to install Debian AND some additional drivers (property wireless support) and software (Emacs and other stuff) that is not typically included in the normal install image. I know how to easily install these after the OS install if I have a hard line to the internet, but would like to have it all freshly installed without connecting to anything else.

Note this is NOT the same as a live USB.

Any suggestions on how to go about this?

My old man is trying to work on LibreOffice Calc (the equivalent of Excel) but he complained that it froze up pretty frequently when working with large spreadsheets.

I took a look at htop and saw it was using 100% of 1 out of 4 CPU cores

How can I remedy this so the load is shared on all cores? His laptop should be able to handle spreadsheets just fine

what would you label it as?
inb4 trash

It's not an in-depth simulator of course, but at least it covers most of the basics (minus air drag, last I checked)

Can anyone help me figure out how to make basic text macros?

All I can find is terminal based stuff that I can't figure out how to get to work. I installed this "Gnee" thing which is apparently supposed to have a GUI but I can't figure out how to run the program.

All I need is to send strings of text or keyboard strokes on a key press, and mouse clicks on a key press.

this is a safe for work board m8
besides posting grills just to get attention to your question is kind of a weird practice

xdotool

Relax autismo

getting triggered over seeing women is significantly more cause for concern

I don't mind seeing women, I just find it weird when people post naked grills to get people to look at their post. Like something a 12 year old would do

>it's so weird that someone would want to draw attention to their question
>almost as if they want someone to answer it or something

It telegraphs to me that you think your question is worth answering more than the other questions present which didn't feel the need to draw extra attention to themselves

How do I speed up key repeat?

>It telegraphs that you think your question is worth answering more

No it doesn't. There is no implication of superiority. The worth of a question is left entirely in the hands of the people that choose to answer it. Posting a picture of a cute girl along with my post is not somehow fucking unethical.

Jesus christ you're a full blown autistic pseudo-intellectual faggot.

I'm not implying it is unethical, I'm only talking about my perception of the poster.

This doesn't mean the poster is indeed filled with an air of "I am more important than these other confused people, help me first"

Are you okay man?

How would I configure DPI and bindngs for extra mouse buttons? The mouse I have has Windows software and onboard memory, but I don't own a Windows computer.

you are now realizing that you share a site with mostly underaged users

Ah, fuck. I thought we were mostly free from that in Sup Forums.

Then again I only come to a few threads here and don't browse the catalog...

>it's just my opinion so you can't criticize it

Please remove yourself from the gene pool you incompetent fuck.

Hey gee, I am nix noob. I think my ISP is traffic shaping my connection. On linux the internet is very slow and sometimes it goes down and cannot resolve DNS. How can I check if they're doing it and bypass those fucking ISPs shaping.