MicroSD officially deprecated

>Samsung introduces world’s first UFS cards
>New storage standard sports read speeds of 530MB/s and write speeds of 170 MB/s.

arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/07/samsung-ufs-cards-microsd-successor/

Other urls found in this thread:

m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7-review-1408p8.php
sdcard.org/developers/overview/bus_speed/
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012PKPU5W
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

RIP SD in general. You were the best we had at the time.

Good riddance, hopefully the eMMC standard gets fucked off from phones and tablets too.

at last
now for the phone manufacturers to actually adopt it

Would be absurdly expensive since it is a patented technology
Only galaxy s or note series will have it at higher prices than normal ones with sd card
Remember how revolutionary storage cards Sony made for their ps vita ?
Shit is still expensive

Unfortunately this won't gain popularity for a while.

1.] All Android phones (that matter) have UHS-I microsd slot incompatible with this new UFS card.

2.] Most people buy expandable storage because it's cheap. You can buy a 128GB microsd card for like $40 right now. This new 1337 storage card won't be cheap.

3.] That same $40 128GB microsd card has write speed of ~20MB/s and read speed of 48MB/s which is pretty much fast enough for 99% of people out there.

4.] We already have pic related for enthusiasts taking 4K video and whatnot. Anything faster won't improve much and won't justify the 2-4X price premium.

Do these work in sd card slots?

>inb4 "muh 4K video recording"

>"4K videos are recorded with a bitrate of 48Mbps, 1080p/60fps are 28Mbps, while regular speed 1080p/30fps get 17Mbps."

m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7-review-1408p8.php

At worst you'll be using a gopro with protune to record 4K video. That still only requires 60 Mbps.

That $40 128GB microsd card has a write speed of ~20MB/s or 160Mbps. Yeah.

This might catch on but will be like Sony's Memory Stick Duo, its patented by Samsung so will only be on their devices initially. I really fail to see the purpose of these, they might catch on with 4K video cameras and high quality DSLR cameras but that's about it. No one else needs more than the write speed MicroSD offers, they're cheap as fuck and pretty big.

No, no backwards compatibility. Different shape. Its a total propietary format and like those PSP memory cards where they can inflate the price how they like.

You obviously do not understand the meaning of the word deprecated.

Samshit trying to fuck over the tech world. Again.

No, samshit fucked up badly. All they had to do was adopt the UHS-II microsd standard which is backwards compatible with UHS-I (currently on all Android phones).

Now UFS will become a meme card.

>"UHS-IIPin Layout"

>"A new pin layout was introduced to support the UHS-IIbus interface. The new second-row pins on the full-size SD memory card and microSD memory card are used for the UHS-IIsignals. The first-row pins are used for the normal speed, high speed and UHS-Ibus interface signals to provide interoperability with existing non-UHS-IIhost devices."

sdcard.org/developers/overview/bus_speed/

UFS confirmed DOA

That nitrate is just for that phone. Its not a fixed bitrate for the resolution. Some cameras have a bitrate of hundreds of MB/s.

They've already failed. The only hope for this meme card to live at least for a few years is for Samshit to shove it down people's throats with the Galaxy S8 or whatever.

We already have UHS-II cards, which can transfer up to 312MB/s.

And that's only for people who record video, seriously a class 10 micro SD will do perfectly fine on a phone where you'll most likely only store imaged, videos and music.
Samshit is seriously the cancer of the tech world right now with their retarded expensive gimmicks that no one fucking asked for.

I guess this is the only way to use a SD Card on a Galaxy device without it getting fucked within a few weeks.
Got 3 cards made unusable by S4 and S5 devices. It locks the card in Read-only mode and there's no way of changing that.

>samsung phone owners are going to be forced into buying proprietary meme cards for whatever samsung feels like charging

Stop buying chinkshit maybe? I've always used samsung pro microsd cards and have never had problems with them.

Funny thing is Apple didn't think about it first.

Well they have people pay $100 for an extra 16GB, but still.

Apple never thinks of things first, they just take credit for them after they rape the market.

this lmao

Fuck no.
Interesting that I use chink cards on every other device I own and never had any trouble. Only Samsung keeps bricking user's cards, and all complaints about this issue I found online were from people using on Sammy smartphones from 2014 and 2015.
Oh, one of the cards wasn't even chink, it was original from Samsung, but when it happened they at least had the decency of giving me a refund.

I'd rather stop buying Samsung shit than pay double for gourmet cards like this new one. UHS-II is the way.

What cards are you buying and what are you doing with them? I've had a sandisk 64gb card in my note 2 for 3 years and it works perfectly.

Try buying from real manufacturers like Sandisk, Samsung, PNY, Patriot, or Sony instead of some chink knock off shit with a shark or a monkey on it.

see
and

These cameras aren't build into phones.

Hey man, fuck you. Shark cards are legit.

This.

I bought a 32GB for shits and giggles. Lost all data in like 3 days and could not be formated or detected. Legit my ass.

Hello pissphone.

go away pissphone

>patented cards
Sure thing familia, let's go against standards that have been set for years. I don't use a microSD card for performance, I use it for expansion. It's neat how they're making super fast SSDs on a BGA package, but this UFS bullshit is retarded. They have so much marketshare that they can get away with it, people will definitely buy them.

where is your tripcode, pissphone?

shoo shoo stinky chinky

>They have so much marketshare that they can get away with it, people will definitely buy them.
Nah it's too late, UHS-II cards are already being sold.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012PKPU5W

$200 link related is UHS-II 128GB microsd card with 270MB/s read and ~140MB/s write speed.

Samshit should have thought of this sooner, now they missed the train and UFS will become a meme card.

UHS-II bus can handle up to 312MB/s btw.

>we can make Formula 1 cars
>any car now capable of driving less than 300mph is now deprecated

That's like measuring SD cards by their weight dumbass.

I still use zip floppies

You what?

>shove it down people's throats
Not possible.
They won't buy the phone when they find out their microSDs won't work.

True, I remember how buttblasted samshit fans were because of the Note 5 and S6 lacking a microsd slot.

Cameras still can use this format though. I know my friend's A7 II is super picky about what SD cards work for full bitrate video and that's just 100MB. I think the GH4 goes to 200MB iirc.

The GH4 has a max bitrate of 60Mbps you imbecile. All cameras on phones use lossy encoding by default and usually stay below 40Mbps while recording.

Fact is even a 20MB/s (aka 160Mbps) is good enough to record 4K video with.

However there are 4K cameras that record raw uncompressed video but have bitrates exceeding 1Gbps and so use an SSD. I'm talking about professional cameras used to record news reports and sport matches. Those will never use microsd cards.

Yeah, I just got MB vs Mb mixed up. I'm mostly talking prosumer cameras that could sill use this though, not camera phones.

And professional cameras can sure use something like this. You don't know much about the film industry if you think otherwise. Size and weight are becoming more and more of a factor for filmmaking with things like drones and gimbels. The Red already uses tiny 1.8" SSDs and not full size.

>Remember how revolutionary storage cards Sony made for their ps vita ?
>buying sony
>ever

>GH4 has a max bitrate of 60Mbps

Oh wait, you meant Mb there too. That is wrong. GH4 definitely has a 200Mbps mode and uses that full bitrate. Just looked it up with some footage I have.

This, really. It's like buying an expensive meme graphics card, you don't need one unless you want to waste money on something unnecessary.

>not buying from the top tier tech company

link?

so when will 128GB UHS-II become dirt cheap?

Pretty easy to google. Here's one of the clips I have.

SD has to die, so this sounds like good news. How encumbered is the standard?

>What is UHS-II
kill yourself

>phone manufacturers start getting rid of removable storage for muh cloud
>G-GUIS WE DID A THING WITH THE LITTLE CARD THINGS

just fuck this shit

What are you talking about, like 90% of Android phones have a microsd slot.

I'm not talking about the £10 pajeet phone dipshit.

All non-shit phones have a microsd slot, what are you talking about?

Nigga Sony was the first to nig people with proprietary memory sticks.

Still just as encumbered as before, silly.

>312MB/s buss
>encumbered
Are you mentally and physically retarded?

Don't be daft. I'm not talking about specs.

>patented
[citation needed]

Memory cards like these, new and bleeding edge are almost universally adopted by photographers and video shooters before anything else, and that market is really what drives flash card innovation in the first place.

These cards aren't even capable of uncompressed 4K60 shooting.

The Apple iPhone 6S Plus doesn't have this problem.

>It's like buying an expensive meme graphics card, you don't need one

Not all of us use 1080p still, Ivan. Massively outdated tech is for you and the BRs.

So you got meme'd, congratulations

IMO whether this succeeds all depends on the licensing terms.

>pulling prices out of your ass

I don't think people will care whether it's microSD as long as it's swappable. Plus, the card shape and contact layout are designed so that one slot can support both microSD and UFS.

Given Samsung's market position and history they'll likely sell it below cost and try and force microSD out of stores while keeping it exclusive to galaxy devices.

Samsung have been dying for that sexy vendor lock in like Apple does.

There's apparently a wider range of companies behind UFS, although it seems not as many as one would hope. Hopefully enough to avoid any shenanigans.

JEDEC is behind UFS, not Samsung.
Samsung pretty much can't lock anyone out of using UFS because the standard is defined by JEDEC.

Why would you need that much space?

That's much faster than the speed I get on my PC with ssd

It's gonna be a long time until microSD dies out. It's like USB, it's too ubiquitous.

>Plus, the card shape and contact layout are designed so that one slot can support both microSD and UFS.

Why not?

But seriously, DSLRs and other digital (video) cameras can benefit from both the speed, capacity and physical size of these cards.

Looks about right. What are those two long pins? Extended pins always seem to be grounds, maybe one is power or a sense.

MicroSD has an existing licensing downside of owing Microsoft patent royalties for capacities above 32GB, due to exFAT being in the standard. I hear UFS avoids this by not specifying filesystems, but I don't know if there are other gotchas.

>new and bleeding edge are almost universally adopted by photographers and video shooters before anything else
Just like they adopted Memory Stick and XQD cards, right?

.06 poos deposited in your designated shitting loo, Rajesh

Real DSLRs can take compactflash.

These cards look very similar to microSD. Might be feasible to make a slot accept both standards, and I suppose that'd be the point if so.

Why would you do that when UHS-II cards already exist?

UFS is a huge fucking meme. See andIn addition UHS-II is backwards compatible with UHS-I.