Fell for the computer science meme

>fell for the computer science meme
>everyone said i'd be a software engineer making 70k/yr
>working help desk at a corporate hell hole for 35k/yr

>failing to get developer job after getting degree
>thinks its not his fault

hey monkey fix my internet, i need to send these accounting reports to HQ

Only the incompetent ones end up in help desk.

r-right away sir...

What does computer science have to do with software engineering?

Are people seriously this much of an asshole to someone they rely on to fix their problems or is it just a Sup Forums meme?

Serious question - I'm in computer science now but I know jack shit about programming outside of what I've done in my classwork. I graduate in a year and I know nothing besides some intermediate Java.

Am I doomed to an IT career or can I find a programming job with only moderate coding experience/no personal projects?

>sys admin for a government site of around ~30 people
>65k
>5 mins of actual work a day
>feels ok

i work helldesk and yes, people act like this all the time. especially when deadlines are involved.

not our fault your gpa was so low

you'll never make it. you got meme'd. hard.

Sometimes when there's lots of pressure and deadlines, i'm an accountant and i'm friends with the sysadmin though, we always talk about loonix and stuff.
Some people are assholes, there's assholes everywhere in ever profession.

I had a whiteboard interview for a programming job right after I graduated. They asked me to write code to find the max distance between 2 nodes in a BST. I stood at the board for 20 seconds before telling them I had no clue how to do that.

I work IT now.

0. (optional) make a public repository, make some random projects
1. send cv-s out, send them everywhere even if you are not qualified (not enough work experience or whatever)
2. they might send you a test
3. do the test (for example programming a posting site like Sup Forums in python/java whatever language)
4. Work for a company for 3 years
5. ???
6. You have now unlocked your path to eternal joy (actually digging a hole under mordor 9-5 5 days a week)

I don't strictly expect any CS grad to have programming proficiency. What I do expect is good mathematical aptitude and logical reasoning aptitude. However, most people understand that CS implies computer programmer.

But c in cs stands for computer
Personally id expect cs to teach hardware design plus low level and high level programming separately

Computer science is not about computers. Computer science is not a natural science. Computer science is a misnomer to describe the discipline of study.

Then dont call it cs
What autist named it?

Idk I'm working a devops internship making 53k and I'm not even done school. Im taking a year off to work and then I have ~1.5 years left.

Try not being a shit programmer

Back in the 1930's at the beginning of the computer science discipline, mathematicians and engineers who were working with computers believed that they were studying the science of computers so they named the study that way. As the study matured and understanding increased, these people realized that computer science is a discipline of study that needs no computer and is not actually a natural science (in the sense that natural science is concerned with the scientific method to discover principles of physical matter). Rather than rename the discipline to be more accurate, they felt it was better just to continue the misnomer.

Thats an exhausting answer, thanks user.
So what do they actually study?
Computation theory or something?

Not even about GPA. Bad GPA but learned how to code, and how to display that in an interview will get you a coding job.

CS degree where you did the bare minimum, are generally unpleasant and it shows, is a recipe for being unemployed.

That's true for almost any job you want actually: if nobody can stand to be an office with you, you're screwed.

Do projects outside of class. At very least, learn how to download random projects from github, compile and run them. Then go in and make some minor modifications: change the help text, flip variable names, break out some larger functions into smaller ones (even if it doesn't make sense, this is for learning). Do this for projects in languages that you don't know.

There's no excuse to have a low GPA. I'm an autist and even I got a 3.9 without putting in any effort. You would have to spend literally all your time at frat parties to fuck your GPA up.

That's computer engineering

That's why you do software engineering or similar instead of computer science. Computer science is for faggots.

your overvalued by about $30k.

>So what do they actually study?
>Computation theory or something?
Exactly. Computer science deals with computation - the mathematical foundations of computation, logical problem solving, and bringing them together to solve real world information problems. A computer scientist should be able to look at some information problem and then tell you various "universal truths" regarding the problem and (potential) solutions to the problem. Theoretical computer science is actually a discipline of mathematics while applied computer science will span any number of disciplines.

>want to be software engineer
>don't study software engineering
Why do you do this?

my school didn't offer it

I was in EXACTLY the same shoes as you. I had no idea how to program. I was pretty good with database stuff and sql and php. But other than that, could barely finish my assignments.

Thankfully I was in NROTC so I commissioned into the Navy. But I would have been so fucked if I had to look for a job. But fuck it, I get to be a pilot so I did something right.

Go join a coding bootcamp. These things are specifically designed to drill you in programming and software engineering practices every day for a number of weeks.

If you dont have above a 3.5 no reason to put it on a resume. C's make degrees

why are you doing computer science? fuck people like you

nice meme

>3. do the test (for example programming a posting site like Sup Forums in python/java whatever language)
I wish it were like this. Every job in the UK I applied does some math puzzle bullshit on the whiteboard even though I have a github full of projects I made. FUCK that.

Precisely. They exist to spread the meme of programming.

Interns at large tech companies make over 7000 a MONTH.

What's your excuse for not finding a good job in one of the most lucrative and in demand professions?

Man I envy murikans and their pay. I get around 32 000 swedish kronor per month(before taxes) and that's about 45k/y in $ as a programmer...

in my country they just send you a pdf file with the assignment, you do it, host on github and done.

>just going into second year of CS
>don't really care about CS
>don't program outside of assignments

should I do something else?

If you were studying cs then your school was shit or you're shit.

No you're fine. As long as you have a high GPA and actually know basic concepts to pass interviews. The side projects meme is a meme.

I just want to do something where I can get a degree or pass an exam and be good enough to employ.

I wish it wasn't such a pain.

Hiring?

>i'm friends with the sysadmin though, we always talk about loonix and stuff
Translation, you're that guy that's like "OH MAN, WINBLOWS AMIRITE?" And he probably sighs, hating life.

WTF is a BST?

How much can an assembly programming job get you paid?

Another swede here. How long have you been working? I'm at ~$48k after two years doing code monkey stuff, can't really complain.

I literally cannot do fucking whiteboard interviews

When it's over the phone I even cheat because even though the problems are easy, I just cannot for the love of fuck code under pressure

Goddamnit

>tfw cs grad
>can't even get help desk

I'm too autistic to communicate and fucking hate it anyways.

I wish someone told be the value of internships during school. Maybe I would have considered it. Unlikely though, I tore my bicep in 2nd year and have felt off ever since.

Side projects are not a meme, but as long as you can show competency (good marks, internship) despite not particularly passionate about CS, you can still have a career and a good money out of it.

No i'm the guy that asks him what he thinks about systemd and poettering and if he's used openBSD for a corporate firewall before, but hey feel free stereotype me you're probably a webdev monkey yourself right.

These are the questions that will not get you a programming joob

Define code monkey stuff. I feel Iike that might even be difficult for some people.

>implying I don't already have a job
>implying I'm not just looking to switch divisions in my company
I hear it's just a retirement meme job, but I'd still like to make money before I get forced to retire.

Remember whiteboard coding is not about providing the correct answer, but showing your thought process and how you approach in solving a problem.

You can treat it like a discussion with your interviewer and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Binary search tree.

who /codeslikepajeet/ here?

Mostly .NET stuff, web backend, small amount of web frontend, windows GUIs, etc.

Deadlifting with unlocked elbows?

Copy pasting code from google and stitching them together until they just werk without knowing what it does

Been working 2 years and feel sad because can't do anything with the pay.

>35k
>not working minwage dish washing job
lol

Forced bicep curl at fatigue with shit form. FeelsBadMan, it was my working set too. Didn't know it was possible to fuck your shit with the normal weight you do.

>got physics degree
>started out in semi conductor industry
>working now 120K a year in software development
what went wrong user?

nice meme

what do you actually do?

Actually, that's all true. Downside is that I work in the Bay Area where 120K is actually below the poverty line.

bullshit

physics majors are literally unemployable

no one cares you know how to solve electrons

I do the same but I haven't even finish CS.
And I make like 4 times less because I'm in Eastern Europe.

Except... undergrad research teaches you applied mathematics and programming while... comp sci majors are still doing fizzbizz into their 40s.

>asshole
Accountants aren't expected to "fix" things around the office. If they were IT fags would be out of a job.

This. I have Bipolar Disorder and haven't been medicated in years. And although I will probably die before I graduate I still have a 3.7 GPA with little effort.

> Computer science
I would try getting a job at IBM, Intel and the likes. The fuck you're doing at a help desk, you're wasting your life away. Either you suck at what you do or you suck at interviews.

one day i hope someone can stand to be an office with me

> Programming
A friend of mine does almost exclusively Matlab and Python scripts. This is hardly programming in the engineering sense, meaning you're not doing software development, you're doing math algorithm implementations.

I didn't do that (although I use a lot of Python but that *counts* as programming in the *engineering* sense). I worked on physics simulations written in *C++*. Sure, I didn't know shit about web programming when I landed a job in web dev but that's all pretty easy to pick up if you have a solid educational foundation.

you guys get it nice, im from Costa Rica, a very well paying job in Programming will earn me at best 2k USD a month, after taxes, and if i get really lucky and get a high paying job in some other field, im looking at 4k USD month

Yeah, but I bet that buys a lot of coconuts.

not really, Costa Rica is fucked badly right now, to much corruption and taxes

just for context, i live 15 minutes from the border with panama, everyone goes shoping there because of how cheap it is, our own products, like i mean things produced in Costa Rica are cheaper in Panama than in our own fucking country thanks to taxes

>pic related, guess which side is Costa Rica and which is Panama

You must have ambition and/or personal projects to stand out from your many peers.

Or you could just graduate from a top tier public university like me :^)

Look for an internship. All large companies (Intel, IBM, MS etc) hire student who are still in uni. At least that's how it is where I live.

The saying is actually D's get degrees.

Hahahaha

Come to Brazil!
Internships are about 250 USD after taxes, and the best you can make after years is around 3k-5k(without taxes)

That sounds like your own fault dude. I graduated a couple years ago and got a job for 60K some time later that year.

If you don't like it just let me know and Ill gladly take your spot.

>Computation theory or something?
Or Informatics

Reminder that this information is worthless without location

60K in Kansas makes you a fucking god, 120k in San Francisco makes you homeless

Your brain is just not high enough spec to run CS software. You can put a crysis CD into a dell laptop, but it aint going to run.

Yes. Once you graduate high school and your parents kick you out, you'll understand.

People = Shit

>Come to Brazil!

No one should ever go to Brazil.

Do you have a ticket number?

Just make sure you have projects with some depth to them that you can talk about in interviews. School projects are fine as long as it's more complex than "implement such and such data structure". Everyone says you need to do independent stuff and have a portfolio and shit but I've been able to get (entry level) job offers from just school projects on my resume. The people who can't get jobs are usually:

1) not trying hard enough (if you're trying to get a job by directly applying to companies you need to send out A LOT of applications, not just a few a week, it's a numbers game but you'll make if you aren't total shit)

2) too picky (only applying in a certain region, only going for the best companies, only applying to niche industries, only going for positions that pay $80k+ even though they're fucking scrubs)

3) not selling themselves properly (you'd be surprised how the smallest changes to your resume can greatly improve response rate. also having some kind of online presence helps even if it's just a linkedin and github)

4) plain bad at interviewing, whether it's their personality that's off putting or they can't do the technical tests - this is something you just have to practice to get better at.

If you have a degree getting a job is all about your strategy to the "game" of job hunting. I know total dumbasses who had just a degree (in some cases not even a CS major, just a minor), no side projects, not portfolio, no internships, who were able to get decent SDE jobs soon after graduating because they had the right strategy.

That's terrible advice. Something in the 3.0 to 3.5 range certainly isn't impressive, but it's not bad either. Most companies would be willing to hire someone with a GPA like that. If you leave it off entirely, they can only assume you got something ridiculously low like 2.0 or whatever is the minimum to graduate.

I'm making 90k in one of the lowest cost of living areas in the country. Feels good man.

You should have got a phd

Should be gone into finance/accounting

You must not even be passionate about programming if you only have moderate experience in a single language.