/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntuupdates.org/package/webupd8/trusty/main/base/youtube-dl,
thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux
charbase.com/200c-unicode-zero-width-non-joiner
wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Installation&redirect=no#Installation_Handbook
distrowatch.com/?newsid=09227
freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still want advice for it. I would be grateful.

First for Arch btw

I'm currently using Clementine for playing audio and managing my audio files in Debian. I don't like it, but I haven't found anything better. CMUS is nice looking and all, but my library is VERY large, and I want software that makes managing the library, editing tags, and so on simple. Can anyone make a recommendation?

puddletag. Use a player to play the files, use a tagger to tag them.

mpd + ncmpcpp

Purged and reinstalled youtube-dl.

$ youtube-dl --version

So I tried to add thewebupd8 PPA from ubuntuupdates.org/package/webupd8/trusty/main/base/youtube-dl, but:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found

What now?

Install the deb

>2014.02.17
ubuntu...

hurr durr. It's working, thanks.

I guess your shitpost was meant for

Will check out puddletag, thanks. What player would you suggest though? The CLI players are really kind of a pain to navigate with my library.

Tried before, same problems as CMUS.

My library is currently 1.7TB of mp3s and FLACs. It's legitimately huge, with tens of thousands of songs that I've accumulated over the last 18+ years. Navigating this many songs with CLI is honestly kind of a pain.

I usually use mpd and ncmpcpp or just deadbeef.
Quodlibet is pretty good, gmusicbrowser is as well. Honestly though you might not have explored all the key shortcuts and options with ncmpcpp if you found it hard to navigate through your library, it's actually quite flexible an allows you to view your library by any number of tags, sort it is various ways including created/modified date, lets you view folders and browse outside of the library.

Best wifi adapter for linux?

Pretty much anything from here: thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux

10/10 opening picture

Thanks user

VirtualBox uses Qt for its GUI, so it won't use your GTK themes. The Arch Wiki has an explanation on the possible solutions to make Qt programs look like your GTk theme.

I have a X220t with a HDD and an mSATA SDD. I'm currently only using Xubuntu on the SDD but would like to dual boot with Windows 7 on the HDD and Xubuntu on the SSD. However, I want it to automatically boot Xubuntu (so if I turn on my laptop and go for a coffee, it should go directly into Xubuntu). If I want to boot into Windows instead, I want it so I need to do an extra step. How do I achieve this?

>sudo: add-apt-repository: command not found
lol what, time to reinstall i guess

Is this character blocked? charbase.com/200c-unicode-zero-width-non-joiner

I tried CTRL+SHIFT+u200C

It took me 3 seconds to search the internet and find out what's happening. A reinstall won't help you, you should reconsider your life.

Your point is?

His point is that you're a retard for suggesting to reinstall over something that can be figured out in 3 seconds.

So you're going to tell that if add-apt-repository returns command not found, the system isn't broken?

>offer a bunch of different downloads
>don't explain what the differences are between them
Why is this allowed?

I'm guessing virtual is for virtual machines, but I have no idea how extended and vanilla are supposed to differ from the standard release, and there doesn't seem to be a page on their wiki about it.

the handbook literally explains it. Anyways since you can seem to rtfm I don't think alpine is the distro for you.

best tool to graph network/sysusage over time on ubuntu 14lts?

I asked /dpt/, but I think I'll also ask here.

I got two questions about software licensing. Lets say something is licensed under BSD 3 clause and GPL making it dual licensed. Would both the conditions of the licenses apply or do you have to pick one of the two licenses if you were to do a derivative? My 2nd question is that GPL requires you to use the same license again and BSD does not. If you took BSD licensed software and switched to GPL, would the BSD license apply anymore?

Try lollypop.

add-apt-repository isn't included in Ubuntu, it's a "3rd party" program.

>the handbook literally explains it.
If by handbook, you mean this:
wiki.alpinelinux.org/w/index.php?title=Installation&redirect=no#Installation_Handbook
No it doesn't. There is no mention of "vanilla" or "extended" anywhere on that page.

If you are referring to some other handbook, then please link to it, as it is not linked to either on the Alpine Linux site, nor does it come up in search engine results for "alpine linux handbook".

>Anyways since you can seem to rtfm I don't think alpine is the distro for you.
Oh, sod off with your juvenile elitism.

distrowatch.com/?newsid=09227

Hm I swear they (used) to explain it somewhere. Anyways, extended is the only iso with some added packages on the iso, the other two are pretty much netinstall. Standart ships with a grsec patched kernel, vinalla a normal kernel, and I assume virt is for VMs

Thanks.

I just installed Ubuntu 16.04
Does it come with generic usb 3 drivers? Do I need to install my mobo's chipset drivers?

Yes. No.

After a lot of hand-wringing about convenience versus Canonical cancer, I finally decided to just up and ditch Ubuntu for Debian Stretch on my laptop.

And so far it's been completely painless. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

Debian testing is comfy as fuck.

Debian is general is pretty great:
>stable releases are really stable
>netinstall gives a nice barebones system for those that want to customize from the ground up
>testing has loads of good packages, some practically in the bleeding edge
>it's definitely a free GNU/Linux distribution, but the FSFfags don't like that it has an option for non free packages

lol

Thanks!

Would like to move from stable to stretch but am kind of not sure how to do this without fucking up. Do I really need a clean install?

Well friendos, I must be dumb, because, not only can I not solve this problem, but I can't even find the "detailed report." I'm trying to install Chrome because I would really like to watch my Taiwanese claymations on Netflix, but alas, I am unable. Anyone got ideas?

in that nice little terminal to the right type in the following

sudo apt-get install google-chrome

Install Chromium, which is a FOSS version of Chrome
sudo apt-get install chromium

Uhh, no, you don't. Because that's not in the Debian repos.

Chromium doesn't support Widevine, which Netflix requires.

afaik it's just a matter of changing your sources.list, replacing instances of stable or jessie with testing.
then just upgrade as normal

apt install

Just drag and drop into the terminal.

I like KDE and all the features it provides, but I don't like how there's a chance of a feature breaking with every new update. Any DE suggestions?

You may like Cinnamon. I legitimately like Gnome3, too, but it definitely won't make everyone happy.

Try adding contrib non-free to sources.list.

Any word processors for Linux that are comparable to MS Word? I'm a collegefag who can't switch to Linux because LibreOffice isn't really cutting it.

sudo dpkg -i name.deb

Pretty sure the best options on Linux are LibreOffice, OpenOffice, or Google Docs

If anyone knows anything else, lemme know.

contrib and non-free are already there.

I use LibreOffice in place of Office quite frequently. What are you finding is the problem with LibreOffice? My guess is that you don't need a new program, but rather, you need to understand how to operate LibreOffice or change its settings, unless you're having a really specific edge case.

Still errors without verbose output. Any idea where this would log?

FUCK ME I AM STUPID.

REALLY I CAN READ. I SWEAR.

Google docs is really great, if you don't mind needing a google.bot.net account.

So I just updated KDE last night and when I woke up the next morning, my notifications widget wasn't working. I'm not at my computer right now, but it it said something like "org.plasma-notifications.something is inexistent".

why the fuck don't you just add the official chrome repo ?

the deb does that for you, the problem is that people tried to help him without know how to install a fucking .deb

Need help with Ubuntu 16.04 gnome 3
Can't connect to the internet because no drivers for my wlan card

Can someone educated spoonfeed me on the topic?

Is there any technical disadvantage of NOT using a display manager to manage your graphical session?

I'm perfectly aware of the practical advantages of it as in the past I've been using GNU/Linux with a dm (most notably - lightdm) and without any DM at all.

But from the technical side.

My primary concern is security.

Does managing my graphical session without a display manager somehow create a gaping security hole I'm not aware of?

sent you the drivers ;)

Seriously
fuck this
It seems that I need touchpad driver, wlan driver and then I would be good before something surfaces up
It really is handy to have two computers when you are troubleshooting this kind of stuff

See v
I've never had this issue before with one not listing out what was breaking its install. I'll freely admit to being anything but a Linux power user, but I'm not a total goon usually.

It's all good.

Chrome works. Thanks for the help anons.

Thanks, anons.

LibreOffice's formatting doesn't transfer very well (with MS). I end up having to fix formatting every time.
Any tips?

Thinking of just switching then using GoogleDocs, since it's pretty close.

You know you could just torrent Sidonia.

And also
What should I do when I'm on a dead end because of error "Unable to locate package X"

That means the package doesn't exist in the repos, maybe you misspelled the package name or something.

how can i install flash on chromium? i cant watch twitch. What other browser you recommend (32 bit)?

Google's formatting conversion is far worse in my experience than LibreOffice's. We use Google Docs at work all the time, but then clients want to have files in Word format. It's always a struggle to get it to work properly.

The best suggestion I can make is to either simplify the way you're formatting a bit or export to PDF. What are the specific features you're trying to use that don't work properly? If you use a lot of tables or insert graphics, Google docs botches them a lot.

Yeah, but I have a Netflix membership. May as well stream it. I'm at work watching on my computer while I work on the company machine.

Best Ultra-lightweight stuff? using a
single core P3 1ghz /128mb ram laptop with Debian for a week.I currently have
>Joes Wm
>lxterminal /plain Xterm
>Psi for IM
>Dillo(looking to replace)
>deadbeef

looking for a very lightweight file manager,browser, and generally stuff to do with this old laptop

Midori is a nice little browser if you don't mind it crashing every 15 minutes.

Brave. Lightweight, built in ad blocking and privacy protection.

So I'm new to Linux and I installed Arch yesterday by following a guide. Today I've run into a couple of issues. The first is this: when trying to download large files in firefox, chromium, or opera Arch crashes at some point during the download. Sometimes the system is competely unresponsive and sometimes the cursor is able to move, but in no instance will ALT+F1 or F-anything work. Any clues as to what's going on?

Also, looking at the screenfetch I just did, all of the theme information is wrong... what's that about?

I feel like I'm walking on eggshells and the system will crash at any moment.

>my system is shit and broken
>recently I installed X
>X crashed
>X is bad

Some of the systemd compliant display managers set up a session with required things. Without one, you'd have to do it manually I suppose.

freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/writing-display-managers/

Anyone running wayland?

One question guys. Do I need to install the backports on debian 8 3.14 kernel? This is my nvidia card:

Detected NVIDIA GPUs:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M [NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2)
Your card is supported by the default drivers and legacy driver series 304.
It is recommended to install the
nvidia-driver
package.

What would be the best way to install my nvidia drivers? I read the wiki, but I am confused on which way I should install it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Has Mint ever actually broken for anyone using "unsafe" updates? What do you guys recommend setting this at?

I recommend Debian testing.
As a serious reply, I have no idea. I'm guessing unsafe is Debian Sid which has broken systems before.

Firewall tweaks, as requested. What should I make next?

Disclaimer: I didn't really check for typos.

First hour using linux

What does pic related indicate?

It indicates you are messing with the bootloader

Sorry, but Midori's instability is well known.

What does the red text indicate? and the arrow with the path to a different grub.cfg file?

It's saying where the .cfg file is stored (symlinked)

right, but why is it highlighted...

total guess, but it looks like it's using a backup copy (grub2.cfg) or something because the original (grub.cfg) is borked?

can you be a little more specific, please? does the red text indicate an error of some sort?

I don't think so. I think you don't have the permission to write on the file

I'm not certain whether it has ever bricked a system in practice, but in theory, what it could do is critically break a dependency and thereby render programs (maybe many programs) unusable. This can go one of two ways: you update a dependency to a version newer than any program is using and things don't work well, or you update a program that needs a newer version of a dependency than is in the repo and the program requiring the new program doesn't work.

If you're not willing for stuff to break, don't pick the setting that says it might break stuff.

systemctl --failed
might be of some use here if you can't make sense of the output in htop.

Hi, random question here: what are the differences between scp and sftp, and should I care? I couldn't get pscp to work but psftp was ezpz. Would one be better for doing automated backups?

Also, does VNC kinda just... suck? It was way cray laggy when I tried it with TightVNC to the point where it wasn't even worth bothering with it seemed. What about X forwarding? Can I run graphical stuff on my local machine that way?

Thanks!

Firewall tweaks, as suggested. What should I make next?

A guide on how to use GNU/Linux to get a gf

Looks like you need to hit the gym