Samsung unveils world's first UFS memory cards — the successor to microSD

anandtech.com/show/10475/samsung-rolls-out-its-first-ufs-cards-ssd-performance-in-card-formfactor

>Samsung today introduced the world’s first flash memory cards in UFS form-factor. The cards are compliant with the UFS Card 1.0 specification and offer performance comparable to that of desktop SATA SSDs. It is worth noting that the new cards are not backwards compatible with current microSD devices, which use various versions of SD cards, but they open doors to new levels of removable storage performance as the spec will develop in the coming years.

>The new UFS memory cards from Samsung rely on the UFS 1.0 Card Standard (single 5.8 Gbps lanes) published earlier this year. Samsung intends to offer UFS cards with 32, 64, 128 and 256 GB capacities. The top-of-the-range 256 GB UFS card will offer sequential read performance up to 530 MB/s and sequential write performance up to 170 MB/s. As for random performance, then Samsung declares 40,000 read IOPS and 35,000 write IOPS for the 256GB version.

About time they made new cards which are as fast as the internal storage of phones

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012PKPU5W
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Flash_Storage
gizmag.com/panasonic-hc-x1000-4k-camcorder-60p/33657/
suggestionofmotion.com/blog/panasonic-gh4-memory-card-testing/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>all android phones are now obsolete tech using and out of date memory card system

This is probably a bad idea.

>256gb
Its hard for me to understand how you can pack 256GB on such a small object

its not stable at all from what i've heard

Jokes on you, my Nexus 5X doesn't have an SD card slot.

See Google saw this from afar and decided not to make the phone obsolete in the near future.

You can, but it's not comparable to a traditional hard drive. Even without benchmarks, it's pretty clear those memory cells will perish with very low write cycles, considering that's already a problem in the 'full size' 840/850 EVO.

explain

I dont know anyone that needs 520mb/s read and 170mb/s writing speed on a smartphone.
This will be nearly irrelevant thing for smartphones.

What I do see the potential for this cards are rasberrypies

they had to squeeze the numbers on

samsung can suck my entire dick
fuck this proprietary bullshit

they probably use a special storage controller on the reader. think proper ssd with removable chips

it's still horseshit, though, and i hope it dies out

It's DOA, we already have UHS-II SDXC micro sd card which are bakwards compatible with UHS-I SDXC micro sd cards.

UFS is compatible with neither.

The UHS-I SDXC micro sd slot is present on like 90% of Android phones btw.

You can already buy UHS-II microsd cards btw.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012PKPU5W

link related is a 128GB UHS-II micro sd card with read speed of 270MB/s and write speed of ~140MB/s. Costs $200 though.

This isn't even the fastest one out there, UHS-II bus interface allows up to 312MB/s.

RIP in peace UFS.

its not proprietary, its a new standard developed by multiple companies and basically the sucessor to MicroSD
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Flash_Storage

It's already dead on arrival like mentioned though.

What? Isn't it much slower?

Not really. 312MB/s is already batshit crazy fast already. This is already faster than many SSDs out there.

they are
>The UFS cards have sequential read speeds of up to 530 megabytes per second — five times faster than the best microSD cards. That means reading a 5 gigabyte, full HD movie in roughly 10 seconds, says Samsung, compared to a UHS-1 microSD card which manages the same feat in around 50 seconds.

>The electrical interface for UFS uses the M-PHY,[5] developed by the MIPI Alliance, a high speed serial interface targeting 2.9 Gbit/s (gigabits per second) per lane with up-scalability to 5.8 Gbit/s per lane.[6][7] UFS implements a full-duplex serial LVDS interface that scales better to higher bandwidths than the 8-lane parallel interface of eMMCs. Unlike eMMC, Universal Flash Storage is based on the SCSI architectural model and supports SCSI Tagged Command Queuing.

It seems that the important part is that UFS is much more scalable than MicroSD and can support even higher speeds one the memory chips themselves get faster

No, they decided to make it obsolete immediately.

What makes you think UFS has a chance? Why would the average joe pay $500+ for a 256GB UFS card when a $200 256GB 90MB/s write card already exceeds all of their needs by like 20X?

Probably because many android apps running off of microSD cards run like shit compared to when they run on the much faster internal storage.

And the prices will probably go down to meet MicroSD card prices, the format is still very new.

They won't until UFS drops in price and spreads out more.

UFS sounds fairly attractive for a number of applications though, digital cameras and video can always do with fast, smaller, storage.
We will probably see it start getting implemented on higher grade equipment first and then trickling down to consumer products as the prices drop.

>And the prices will probably go down to meet MicroSD card prices, the format is still very new.
lel no they won't, they will always be more expensive than microsd cards. By the time this meme card gains attention UHS-III will probably already be out.

This will not be focused to the average Joe with their Android at launch. More like for photographers and shit, like SD did.

>This will not be focused to the average Joe with their Android at launch. More like for photographers and shit, like SD did.
Well UHS-II cards are already out for cameras. What does UFS have that UHS-II doesn't beside a massive lack of compatibility?

Speed for 4K@60fps or 8K.

Forgot pic related

Is this going to be some proprietary bullshit that never catches on thanks to lack of an open standard?

gizmag.com/panasonic-hc-x1000-4k-camcorder-60p/33657/

It needs a fucking XQD to record 4k@60fps

4K60FPS requires up to 50MB/s or 400Mbps. Even UHS-I microsd cards can provide double that speed.

8K is a meme until ~2025, we barely have any 4K content right now.

CD was proprietary

I was talking about consumer applications like a gopro capable of 4K60FPS. Not out yet but the GH5 is rumoured to be capable of 4K60FPS with a max bitrate of 400Mbps or 50MB/s.

No. suggestionofmotion.com/blog/panasonic-gh4-memory-card-testing/

I wasn't talking about the budget UHS-I microsd cards. I was talking about things like pic related which have a 90MB/s write speed and 95MB/s read speed. That translates to 720Mbps write speed.

How come when smartphones are no longer bottlenecked by trash sd cards they stop coming with expandable storage slots all together?

What is the storage jew trying to gain from this?

headroom, i find you never get stable read/write speeds, i want headroom for when shit hits the fan its still above minimum to record.

IF you use a phone as a dedicated camera that uses raw files, it would be useful for the transfer to a computer as well as for the ability to process images.

>who'll buy bluray
>who'll buy smart phones
>who'll buy hd
>who'll buy computers
etc
Commoditization is a thing.

>32 GB
>2016
Literally Jews.

Are you new to technology industry? Prices drop hard within few years and then it will be assessible to everyone.

Happens to almost every tech that will get mass produced

Whoever buys planned obsolescence devcices deserves neither comfort nor security

>GB
You just KNOW they can fit 2TB on a card of this size RIGHT NOW and it won't cost them SHIT

Google only did that in order to make it easier to control your phone and mine data off of your device.

>not backwards compatible
verily, i hath droppethed this from a great height and with disdain

Good luck getting any devices to support that speed. Most USB 3.0 card readers have difficulty maxing out that speed. Most cameras and phones are limited by the shitty readers and really only support like half of that in reality. A ton of 4K recording devices have a minimum of UHS-3 cards (30MB/s or 240Mb/s) but the actual recording bitrate usually never passes 100Mb/s.

Will this make micro SD cards cheaper? I hope so.

UFS is more resilient than consumer eMMC, and cheap flash used in thumb drives, and SD cards. Its a rival to industrial eMMC, and cheaper to produce.

Samsung has been using UFS modules as the internally memory for their phones for a while now. They're just getting a jump on the rest of the market with an expansion standard that truly surpasses MicroSD. Speeds and capacities don't matter any more. A 200GB+ MicroSD card that dies in 8 months or loses a significant portion of its performance is a worthless product.

There are a dozen companies backing UFS now for the record.

>>not backwards compatible
With?

A specification made by a completely separate group? Due to the shape and pinout it would be possible to make slots that support both.

Equally as important for mobile devices, it uses less power, and has near zero idle power consumption.