HD 7950 Thread

>Implying that there's any reason to upgrade from a HD 7950

Seriously, with overclocking, it's only 2 frames behind a 960 in The Witcher 3, why should anyone upgrade?

Other urls found in this thread:

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/70125-gtx-780-ti-vs-r9-290x-rematch-8.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>implying that people have the HD7950

7970 masterace reporting in

Tons of people have a 7950, since they go extremely cheap used, and they were semi-cheap at the time of release.

79xx series in general is god tier, but I'd say the price to performance, the 7950 beats out the 7970.

960 isn't that good though. Especially if you're on 1440p.

i'm a lonely person that wants a virtual reality gf in more than 90 fps

>only 2 frames behind a 960 in The Witcher 3, why should anyone upgrade?

Uh, because people want more than 30 FPS from a 250W housefire? I don't know, call me crazy.

Still, you're forgetting that the 7950 is 4 years old

Because it puts out a lot of heat, consumes a lot of power, and according to you, can't even match a gtx 960.

I'm not forgetting that though. It's 4 years old and not worth using for current use cases like 1440p. It's not any surprise that a high end card for 4 years ago competes with a mid end card from a year ago. We have better cards now. If you don't think you need a new card, then you're not obligated to get one. There is no reason to shit on new tech though just because you don't value it because your use case is different from other peoples'.

>Consumes a lot of power
I run my 7950 OC'd to 1000/1400 on a 500w power supply, power hog my ass.
>Heat
I can only hit 70c with a stable overclock, so it really isn't that hot.

HD7950 consumes between 2x and 3x as much as a gtx 960, without an overclock.

And just because it only gets to 70 degrees c, doesn't mean it isn't putting out more heat. It has a bigger heatsink you retard. Your 7950 with an overclock is putting out at least 3x as much heat as a gtx960.

I have 2 of them...I took them out to clean them and put one back in. I still get good frames in BF4 on ultra settings. I'm probably going to sell one for $100

>I still get good performance in a 4 year old game on my 4 year old flagship graphics card
Nice.

Sell them both and get a 480.

What brand 7950s do you have? Because unless you have a perfect OC'ing 7950 you won't be getting 100 out of them super easily.

>HD7950 consumes between 2x and 3x as much as a gtx 960, without an overclock

Absolute bullshit, unless you're running FurMark since Nvidia has throttled their cards in that ever since Thermi.

>I'm so stupid I don't know that over 4 years a card would blow out transistors leading to degraded performance.

>shows 2 charts with HD7950 peak power draw, each one with a different amount.
Nice.

Didn't you see the new LTT video on performance degradation? That was proven to not be a factor

You're an autistic eggplant

I'm waiting for the Sapphire RX480 Nitros

MSI HD7950 I seen people selling them on ebay for $120

>5W difference

Literal margin of error stuff. That the best you can do after getting BTFO, Nvidiot? :^)

>muh power draw
>muh shekels

You're wrong though :')

Thats nice but it is a factor. Thats as in depth as I will on with this on Sup Forums

No thank you I hate vegetables.

Ah, shitposting to try and steer the conversation away from you getting

B T F O
T
F
O

Sorry friend. :^)

If you had one with the 7970 board and the Hynix Vram, you could sell that for a lot of money, but it could be a cheap 7950 board with Elpidia memory.

Irrelevant. A watt drawn by an Nvidia card and an AMD one isn't the same. It might not show up on charts, but AMD cards use twice the power always by using what are called doublewatts. It might show up as the same number on some pleb reviewer's chart, but trust me when I say that AMD housefire is using twice the power, minimum.

-Hynix or Elpidia memory
I'm not familiar with this, but I will look it up as I like knowing this stuff.

My 7950 Sapphire Dual-X has a 175W TDP, I can set it from 140W to 210W (+-20%). It has worse efficiency than Hawaii/Fiji/Polaris and Maxwell/Pascal but it doesn't draw anywhere "2 to 3 times as much as a GTX960".

The RX 480 gives somewhere between 50 and 80% better performance and much better efficiency than the 7950, but I don't play enough games to justify buying it. I was hoping for something amazing but the RX 480 is just good. Maybe its RX 485 revision in 6 months will be more attractive.

STOP LYING YOU STUPID SHILL

Hynix and Elpidia are two companies that made the VRam for the 7950s, and Hynix vram overclocks way better than Elpidia vram.

Literally no one cares

Just keep both, not even worth selling for $100.

7950 checking in. Thinking about a 480 nitro but im still happy so prolly not

I um...I kinda do...

Elpidia OCs max 1600 mhz, while Hynix can get about 1800-2100mhz if you have the proper cooling for it.

99.99% of the population doesn't care, and the 0.01% that do care have moved on to newer tech with better overclocking, performance, and efficiency, like gtx1080.

I normally don't do anything gpu intensive, but the power draw and the gpu sag really is too much.

Probably going to replace it with a 1060 or 1050.

Still happy with mine. Playing Doom, 1440p medium with AA off at 40-45 fps on average and it looks great.

>being proud of medium graphics
Kek

Proud? I'm having fun playing the game and it looks great, on a very old card, despite being a new release.

no it's not, i have a 7870 XT which is basically a 7950 and i can't even max games out at 1080p

They aren't even close. Simply because of how much the 7950 overclocks. With proper cooling, you can get the Vram to 2100mhz

I got two 7950's that I have overclocked and run all games 1080p at 74hz+(overclocked monitor to that)

Do I care about heat? Fuck no, I run my Ac at 18C all year so it doesn't really matter if it is hot.

Do I care about power draw? Fuck no, I got a evga g2 850watt and power usage over the years equates to very little cost, especially considering I got both for like 300 aud combined (actually got one for 60 aud cause the guy thought it was dead)

For its time I think it is a great card, I will probably upgrade to 2x 1080ti's in the future to power my next monitor which will be 1440p ultrawide 100hz acer thing if the colours aren't retarded.

My reasoning:
>actually fucking so sick of AMD driver bullshit
>AMD don't have a card to match the 1080 and I doubt that they will when the ti comes out

That's pretty much it. When push comes to shove, dx12 is not going to happen widespread for a few years cause of the console market

I will vote with my wallet and if AMD wants my money, than they better put out something that is worth it

I've gotten sick of BS, if only they could release good drivers and a card that is like the 7950/70

Also, I will probably just sell my cards as a pair or kill them with my ln2 pot when the next-generation comes

Lol m8, 7950/70s weren't considered that great at launch just like the 290/x were considered the underdogs. Its just that they continued to be optimised over their lifetimes that they became good. Have fun in 2 years time when the 1080 has been forgotten and rx490 is pulling similar fps.

Nice meme kiddo

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/70125-gtx-780-ti-vs-r9-290x-rematch-8.html

>7950/70s weren't considered that great at launch
This place was 79xx central when those cards came out.