Apple watch

what went wrong?

what went right?

smart watches just aren't very useful (yet)

watch bands are a money printer

They're just not a good idea until battery tech in perticular improves a LOT.

Needs to be cheaper for what it is.

If only they were more like Android wear, my moto 360 lasts two days with ambient mode on (aka screen always on)

Steve Jobs wasn't around to slap people with bad ideas and Tim Cook needed a flagship device to call his own

Nothing. I have one. Its not life changing, and if it broke or something I wouldn't rush out to get another one. But its nice.

All smart watches are just luxury items. If anybody acts like they need one then they're wrong.

but that faggot likes being slapped

why the fuck would the screen be always on instead of relying on the gyro?

Here's what I figure went wrong

#1 The fucking price.

This is where most smart watches went wrong, they price them like they're phones, but they do not have the same functionality. They aren't nearly as necessary, they are pretty much just novelty items. There are two versions of the Apple Watch, the smaller one is the one nobody will buy because it's the poorfag model, and the bigger model already suffers from a screen too small. Which leads to:

#2 The UI is fucking awful.

It just is. It's difficult to use, the icons are too small and it's fussy. I do not know of anyone who likes it.

#3 It looks stupid.

The shape is reminiscent of those 80s casio watches, but it's not a retro product, it doesn't have any retro feats. It just has that awkward rectangular shape and it looks good on nobody. It doesn't have any unity in design with the phone or computer line, it just looks hastily made and awkward. There are countless other smart watches that ditched the shape because it's so unfortunate.

#4 The battery life isn't enough salesworthy for most people.

The fact is while it's poor for a watch, you need to think of smart watches as entirely different devices. Sure, they display time like a clock does, but they do much more than what a phone can do. Without digging out your phone, you can send text messages or set up reminders and shit. The list is long, the more you use a smart watch, the more creative you become. But you can't expect it to have charge for 2 weeks when it has a sharp color display and a rather powerful processor.

The thing is, most people will just put it on the charger pad when they get home. It's ready to go again when you leave home the next morning and it will hold a charge for the whole day without breaking a sweat. That is enough. It has wireless charging so you literally just have to lay it down. Nobody uses a watch at home.

most of the apps are either horribly broken or so goddamn slow (enjoy ur loading indicator.. lol) that you can just pull your fucking iphone out of your pocket and get shit done quicker.

sad but true.

hopefully the next OS improves things, but that would be rare for an Apple product.

To continue on this, in the picture is my Moto 360. Paid $120 for it new, though I got to buy it for a discounted price. The general retail for these is under $200. That's closer to a price most are willing to pay for a smart watch.

This does pretty much everything the Apple does. Kinda like what modern post $300 Android phones do. It's not as fast, not as small, not as good on paper, but it does everything well enough. It's water proof and the glass is super resistant to scratches. Basically it's all that matters without being overengineered.

This still has voice commands, it can show me the weather, blah blah. Like I said the list is endless. The shape is not unfortunate, apart from the flat tire design but I can deal with that. The UI is not perfect but more useable than the Apple UI.

I can't say I really need more of anything, I'm entirely content with this device. The battery lasts for 1½ days and then some, it's wireless to charge. There's a newer generation version for sale, but that doesn't have anything this desperately needs. Same battery life, a bit more powerful processor. Okay, maybe the mic could be improved. But that's it.

I've tested a few others, but they cost a stupid amount of money. The Huawei Watch is basically the same thing but smaller, the Samsung Gear whatever is actually loads better than the Moto 360, but it costs over 2 times as much. The UI in that thing is super, it's totally a honed product which has spent a good amount of time in R&D. That's the one I'd buy over an Apple watch.

Batteries

A good battery which is small but lasts long is basically the Holy Grail of the tech industry

>"smart" watch
>$300
>battery only lasts 24 hours
>apps are slow as fuck and hard to see
>people don't want it

Shocking!

Their time will come

this is first gen, it will get much much much better

i would like to see who incoming texts are from on my wrist so i don't have to pull out my phone all day, and tell time, and maybe give me reminders

that's about it

It's made by Apple('s child labor sweatshops).

They treated like the iPhone. No support, locked down as shit, and kinda gay overall. Also the software is garbage. Time figured if the iPhone launched like that they could do it again and nobody would give a shit. Turns out they do. Also it's nothing special.

I had one for a bit, was literally used to check time, get notifications faster, and vibrates when you need to turn while driving. But that only works with Apple Maps, which still sucks. For a $100 maybe, I paid $350 for it and sold that bitch. Like everyone else says, battery sucks, UI sucks, 3rd party apps are pointless (oh great, I can pause Hulu on my phone from my watch). Next version is still no where near saving it.

>It's made by Apple/Microsoft/Acer/Asus/HP/etc('s child labor sweatshops) which are owned and run by Foxcomm.
Apple isn't even their biggest client.

I don't see how any smartwatch is worth buying. Id rather buy a real watch.

watchOS 3 makes the current Watch hardware feel brand-new.

It also opens up a lot more to devs.

I can't wait to see what they have in store for the second-gen model. By the time it's out, it will have been nearly a year and a half since the original launched.

POO IN LOO PAJEET

Sorry, I'm afraid you've confused this for a Microsoft (Pajeetsoft) thread.

>tfw the biggest apple shill (marco arment) went from hating watches, to buying the apple watch, to hating the apple watch, to buying mechanical watches and loving them

I can guarantee you that he is not the biggest Apple shill. I am.

does that guy have to post that fucking news article again?

Well they are apple, so lame. But the people i know who have them use them in cool ways. So whatever, it's just perspective.

Nothing. People are just too smart and too poor for it!

Absolutely nothing. It outsells all the other shit while costing more, great business.

Obviously it's shit but smartwatches are meant to be shitty, useless, "I-don't-know-what-to-buy-and-I-want-attention - devices. Pretty much like actual watches. There is simply no way to make them good or useful, so the best you can do is put a stupid price tag and print money, Apple does that phenomenally well. In a way they understood the idea much better than others who still attempt to present a useless status symbol as something more and obviously fail.

It's only really useful for the gym. You can get fitbits for cheaper.